Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
There's no reason to be rude about it.
You’re right, that was kind of rude and I’m sorry, but there have been four suggestions in the past two days that were already on the rejected/overdone metas list, two of which came from the same user (whose Crossover Gen idea I’m admittedly starting to warm up to as it becomes more and more developed). I’m just tired of people who clearly haven’t read the Big List of Rejected/Overdone Metas post, and especially tired of people who apparently think they’re the first person to think of [insert unoriginal idea here].

You’re right, that was kind of rude and I’m sorry, but there have been four suggestions in the past two days that were already on the rejected/overdone metas list, two of which came from the same user (whose Crossover Gen idea I’m admittedly starting to warm up to as it becomes more and more developed). I’m just tired of people who clearly haven’t read the Big List of Rejected/Overdone Metas post, and especially tired of people who apparently think they’re the first person to think of [insert unoriginal idea here].
Do not worry, I acknowledge that I did not notice that there was a goal like abcmons but I did not really find it.

The Crossgen idea is my favorite and I'm trying to perfect it with the help of my colleagues; another idea that I perfected was OUBER, where I created a better explanation and even a background: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-bad-pokÉmon-new-mechanics.3642376/

Introduction (taken from Interpol's official report):

"Following the success in cloning Mew to create Mewtwo; Team Rocket started mass cloning of captured and stolen Pokémon, and also using DNA from rare and legendary Pokémon with only one goal: MONEY!

These cloned Pokémon are different from their arrays because they underwent a special training method that turned them into true combat machines without any kind of feeling; in battle, they only want to destroy the Pokémon and even the opposing trainer, but they follow their owner faithfully because they are programmed for it (if their trainer orders that Pokémon kill another Pokémon or human, it will do so without any remorse).

In the underworld of the black market; Team Rocket made millions by auctioning these clones for unethical trainers and collectors; recently Interpol was able to break through this scheme by infiltrating buyers and closing most of these auction houses, but it is unknown how many still work around the globe and how many people already have one of those dangerous Pokémon in their hands.

Due to the destructive nature of these Pokémon; the Pokémon League banned for years the use of these Pokémon that they named "BAD POKÉMON", but now a discussion is going on at Smogon University about the feasibility of using Bad Pokémon."

About the Bad Pokémon:

- A Bad Pokémon can never reach its maximum potential (perhaps due to the cruel method they underwent in Team Rocket days), and can only reach level 88.

- As a 1000% combat-ready Pokémon, allied to its destructive nature; a Bad Pokémon refuses to carry any kind of item, which prevents the existence of a "Mega" Bad Pokémon.

- The level of happiness of a Bad Pokémon is always 0, and it will always have Frustration, and this movement can not be removed (even if originally it could not learn Frustation).

- A Bad Pokémon does not make friends, neither with its owner nor with the other Pokémon; so his nature is always Lonely.

Why Use Bad Pokémon?

Due to limitations; Smogon University is studying along with the Pokémon League the possibility of using a Bad Pokémon always in tiers just below that that a normal version of that Pokémon would be part; a Bad UBER Pokémon could be used in OU metagame, a Bad OU Pokémon could be used in UU metagame and so on; always being able to be used in tiers immediately below.

Everyday Champions
Premise:
Not everyone in the Pokemon world gets to be a god-capturing, time-travelling Pokemon Master. In this metagame, you play as a powerful yet ordinary Trainer from a chosen region, and your team reflects this.
Teambuilding restrictions:
  • Legendaries (including Mythicals, but excluding Phione) and Ultra Beasts can't be on your team.
  • Pokemon can't use event-exclusive moves or Abilities.
  • All of the Pokemon on your team must be part of the same regional PokeDex.
    • Kalos' three PokeDex divisions and Alola's Island PokeDexes count as separate for this purpose.
    • You can also be from Orre, in which case you can choose from Pokemon (not families) introduced in Gens II and III.
  • You can only use Z-Moves if you are from Alola, and you can only use Mega Evolution if you are from another region.
Banlist: OU Banlist, Tyranitarite, Garchompite
Unbanlist: Aegislash

People like to say LEGENDZ R CHEATING because normal Trainers wouldn't be able to use them. I decided to take this a step to create an even more realistic, and what I think to be competitively interesting, set of restrictions to play off of. What do you guys think?

So let me get this right I could use a level 1 shuckle give a pokemon sturdy then use shell smash after I set up sticky web and rocks then go crazy with earthquake and other moves shuckles gets mostly shell smash shuckle is a great suicide lead cause it has hazards and some ok moves for coverage like earth power (I know my grammar is bad) lvl1 shuckle set

Shuckle@oran berry
Sturdy
-sticky web
-stealth rocks
-final gambit(or what ever you want just a way to get shuckle go away with a safe switch)
-coverage move of any kind that you want, earth power, earth quake, sludge wave, knock off

switch any of these out for shell smash of coarse unless you want to run contrary on something but really wanted hazards but make sure its a higher level
Yup, you could do that if you feel like it's an effective strat! I might end up banning Final Gambit though, since you could use an Accelgor with it to pass Final Gambit and a speed boost to a mon with MUCH higher HP and essentially guarantee yourself a kill. Shell Smash could get banned too but again, I'd like to be lenient until this meta can actually be played.

Everyday Champions
Premise:
Not everyone in the Pokemon world gets to be a god-capturing, time-travelling Pokemon Master. In this metagame, you play as a powerful yet ordinary Trainer from a chosen region, and your team reflects this.
  • Legendaries (including Mythicals, but excluding Phione) and Ultra Beasts can't be on your team.
    • Kalos' three PokeDex divisions and Alola's Island PokeDexes count as separate for this purpose.
    • You can also be from Orre, in which case you can choose from Pokemon (not families) introduced in Gens II and III.
  • You can only use Z-Moves if you are from Alola, and you can only use Mega Evolution if you are from another region.

People like to say LEGENDZ R CHEATING because normal Trainers wouldn't be able to use them. I decided to take this a step to create an even more realistic, and what I think to be competitively interesting, set of restrictions to play off of. What do you guys think?
There's someone in this thread that has a quote in their signature saying 'OM's that restrict players generally aren't very successful' and that's kind of how I feel about this. Not saying it's a bad idea, just that it doesn't really interest me. Ignoring my own bias, I do have a couple issues with the ruleset:

1) There's no reason for Tyranitarite/Garchompite to be banned is there? Their BST's tower over most other mon's in this meta, but standard Garchomp is generally considered to be better than Mega-garchomp, and Mega-tyranitar doesn't lose many counters in this meta, with plenty of fighting and steel types still able to counter or check it, so while it may be slightly better than in standard, it's definitely not instantly broken and loses a lot of team options being restricted to Johto

2) There's also no reason for Aegislash to be unbanned, in fact, it's probably even more broken here. Its counters are already extremely limited and certain pokedex's lack a hard counter to it entirely.

3) Not allowing mega evolutions for Alolan's doesn't make sense thematically. Mega stones still exist in Alola and if the thought process is that they're not native to Alola, then the only dex's that SHOULD be allowed mega-stones are Kalos and Hoenn. I'd say allow Z-Moves and Mega-evolutions for every region, it's just weird otherwise.

Last edited:
Everyday Champions
Premise:

Interesting, but Orre is unfair to the other regions, should be left out.

Weaker's Resort

83farfetchd1920x1200.jpg

Metagame premise: Pokémon below 400 BST can use evasion moves.

Potential bans and threats:
Basically the rules and bans of each tier according to the Smogon.

First Impression

What makes the meta different: The battle starts off as a 1v1 when 3 pokemon on ether side faint it turns into a normal battle where the remaining pokemon battle, alternatively changes to a normal battle after 10 turns have passed

So a pokemon who is good in 1v1 could shine in the first part knocking out the opposing pokemon in a 1v1 match

Doubility

Trigger based abilities activate twice or double the chance of activating, and passive based abilities have double the effect.
*Side Note: Abilities which are not effected by the chance would not be effected so things like contrary still activate same misty surge.
Scary Threats:
Simple:
It now increases a stat boost 4x what is normal (power up punch now gives a +4 and nasty plot now gives a +6 instantly
Technician: now giving a 2.25x boost to 60 bp moves and under
Regenerator: wow now it heals 66%
Intimidate: -2 do I need to say more?
Fluffy: taking 1/4th of the damage you normally would from normal attacks is great but 4x weakness to fire hmm....
Furcoat: read above but without fire
Defiant: +4 if any stat gets lowered
Guts: 2.25x in power

Cool Ideas:
Analitic:
now gives a 1.69x boost
Weather Speed boosting Moves: Now give a 4x boost to speed
Compound Eyes: make moves 69% more accurate
Early Bird: sleep counter drops by 4 now
Iron Fists: gives a 1.44x boost to fist moves
Mega Launcher: 2.25x
ShedSkin: 66% to get rid of a status effect yes please
Sniper: 2.25x on top of a crit
Stamina: doubles your defense each time you are hit what more could you want
Stakeout: 4x damage to what ever switches
Stench: 20% chance to flinch

*Side Note: moves which can not be directly doubled in some sort of way are not effected
Kinds of moves which do activate:
Beserk: activates twice when below half health

Kinds of moves which don't change:
Emergancy Exit: does not activate at 100% health or something as it is a trigger based ability it would activate twice however as you have already switched out it will not happen again.
Schooling: it is a trigger based ability which means that it would activate twice but as its more like a binary code it would not matter (you cant turn a light that's on on again)

Possible Bans: Regenerator
Bans: Huge power, Pure power, Jirachi, Adaptability, Harvest, water bubble
+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 180-214 (51.1 - 60.7%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Is this meta way to crazy?
has this been done before?

Last edited:
Unown Cup

Metagame premise: The player matches with a team made up of six Pokémon, one of which must be an Unown; if he wins a fight, he will have two choices:

A) Swap your Unown for a Pokémon from the opposing team; the player who gets two Unowns in the process, can replace one of them with a Ditto (Ditto may break Species Clause, but it is the only one that can)

B) Exchange five of your team's Pokémon for five of the opposing team, but you must keep your Unown

Potential bans and threats: Basically the rules and bans of each tier according to the Smogon.

Last edited:
PacifistMons v2 (Status Wars)

Usually, a Pokemon has a variety of types of moves to chose from, Physical, Special, and Status. What if it was restricted to status? How would that Metagame Be like?

Metagame Premise: All Physical and Special moves are Banned, Allowing for a metagame with only status.

This is a Revamped Version of a old metagame, Here is the link to the old post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pacifistmons.3501123/

Ubers Clauses

Recovery Clause: A Pokemon will not be able to use the moves Recover, Soft Boiled, etc.

Bans/Possible Threats

Bans:
Taunt, Trick/Switcheroo, Magic Coat, Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, Misty Terrain, Misty Surge, Safeguard, Shadow Tag, Poison Heal, Minior, Recycle, Corrosion, Heatran, Regenerator (Still in development)

Possible Unbans:
Baton Pass: I don't see this being a problem, it was only broken because of stat passing

Rayquaza-Mega: This thing is banned from Ubers for its Offensive Presence. That doesn't exist here.

Questions for the Community:
Is there anything else that needs a ban?

How would you guys think the meta would be?

Thank you for reading <3. I wish you a nice day, and that you will help me out with this metagame.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
First Impression

What makes the meta different: The battle starts off as a 1v1 when 3 pokemon on ether side faint it turns into a normal battle where the remaining pokemon battle, alternatively changes to a normal battle after 10 turns have passed

So a pokemon who is good in 1v1 could shine in the first part knocking out the opposing pokemon in a 1v1 match

Doubility

Trigger based abilities activate twice or double the chance of activating, and passive based abilities have double the effect.
*Side Note: Abilities which are not effected by the chance would not be effected so things like contrary still activate same misty surge.
Scary Threats:
Simple: It now increases a stat boost 4x what is normal (power up punch now gives a +4 and nasty plot now gives a +6 instantly
Technician: now giving a 3x boost to 60 bp moves and under
Fluffy: taking 1/4th of the damage you normally would from normal attacks is great but 4x weakness to fire hmm....

Possible Bans: serene grace, Adaptability
Bans: huge power, pure power

I really, really like the idea of Doubility.
-Serene Grace needs to be banned. Otherwise, we have to deal with Scarf Jirachi with a 100% flinch chance on Iron Head/Heart Stamp.
-Lando-T is even better in this meta. Ugh.
-Bibarel gets a risk-free Belly Drum with Simple Swords Dance.
-You should probably ban Regenerator, since it makes Alomomola and Tangrowth essentially impossible to kill.
-I can see Flame Body, Static, Poison Touch and possibly Shed Skin being pretty good, and Cursed Body being really good.
-Pressure now makes the opponent lose 4 PP for every move they use, making PP stalling a lot easier.
-Super Luck raises the critical-hit ratio by 4, giving a 100% crit chance.
-Prankster gives status moves +2 priority.
-Triage gives healing moves +6 priority, meaning that Comfey can use Draining Kiss before Protect, Helping Hand, or (potentially, depending on how Showdown is coded) switching.
-Aerilate and friends now give a bigger boost than they did in Gen 6.
-How does Truant work? Does Slaking have two turns of movement and then two turns of no movement? Does it not move at all? Does it move every turn?
-Slow Start now quarters Regigigas’s Speed and Attack for ten turns, making it even more hilariously bad than it already was.
-How do Abilities like Berserk, Defeatist and Emergency Exit work? Do they activate at 25% HP, or 75%? What about Schooling?
-Is Gluttony affected?
-Snow Cloak and Sand Veil probably need to be looked at, since their Evasion boost is actually pretty significant.
-Beast Boost is ridiculously good, as is Moxie.
-Battle Bond makes Water Shuriken have a power of 25 and hit 6 times, for an effective base power of 150.
-Filter and friends effectively make super-effective moves deal normal damage, making Mega Aggron stupidly good and Necrozma potentially viable.
-Tinted Lens quadruples the damage of not-very-effective moves, making them deal the same damage as super-effective moves. Venomoth is scary.
-Poison Heal restores ¼ of the Pokémon’s HP every turn. Gliscor is going to be really annoying.

Time for my obligitory Volcarona set for a new metagame, this time for Doubility.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance

Depending on whether you see Swarm as a 50% boost or a 1.5x multiplier, Bug Buzz becomes either twice or thrice as strong when at low health.

Doubility is basically the same as Powered Up (which was admittedly a cool metagame and seeing the new abilities there would be nice)

Doubility

Scary Threats:
Simple: It now increases a stat boost 4x what is normal (power up punch now gives a +4 and nasty plot now gives a +6 instantly
Technician: now giving a 3x boost to 60 bp moves and under

Possible Bans: serene grace, Adaptability
Bans: huge power, pure power

Doubility is cool but a note: Mechanically speaking, I believe Technician wouldn't provide a 3x boost, but rather a 2.25x one, since it would multiply the moves BP by 1.5, and then multiply that number by 1.5 again. That's still enough to give Scizor and Breloom 90 BP Priority moves, but it's not as ridiculous as 3x.

I'm not sure if Serene Grace should be banned or if you should just ban Jirachi. With a Serene Grace ban, Jirachi is effectively banned anyway as it only has one ability, and it's by far the biggest offender of what makes Serene Grace broken in this meta. So, definitely ban Jirachi, maybe ban Serene Grace.

Adaptability needs to go, immediately, it's not even a question.

+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 643-757 (90 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 572-674 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 465-547 (143.9 - 169.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 550-648 (181.5 - 213.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 418-492 (105.2 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Lugia: 337-396 (81 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Porygon-Z is the worst offender, since practically nothing in the game other than ghost types can survive Breakneck Blitz, and Z-Conversion + Hyper Beam is even worse, except that it pretty much guarantees that GonZ dies the next day. MBee and Crawdaunt are also incredibly effective, with Crawdaunt's Aqua Jet capable of shredding through offensive teams and MBee's U-Turn turning it into a devastating offensive pivot. It's almost as bad as 2x Huge Power Mega Medicham's High Jump Kick, Huge Power is still obviously worse as it applies to all moves, but still.

Regenerator should probably go, but I don't know. You have stuff like Sheer Force Nidoking, M-Pinsir with a stronger Return, PorygonZ with Download (even if Adaptability gets banned, a potential nasty-plot boost on switch-in is a big deal), those things hit like a truck, and stall teams are going to have a hard time with it.

I'm a bit worried that the list of viable abilities is a little short, rendering a lot of pokemon unviable, but it's a cool concept regardless.

Doubility is cool but a note: Mechanically speaking, I believe Technician wouldn't provide a 3x boost, but rather a 2.25x one, since it would multiply the moves BP by 1.5, and then multiply that number by 1.5 again. That's still enough to give Scizor and Breloom 90 BP Priority moves, but it's not as ridiculous as 3x.

I'm not sure if Serene Grace should be banned or if you should just ban Jirachi. With a Serene Grace ban, Jirachi is effectively banned anyway as it only has one ability, and it's by far the biggest offender of what makes Serene Grace broken in this meta. So, definitely ban Jirachi, maybe ban Serene Grace.

Adaptability needs to go, immediately, it's not even a question.

+1 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 643-757 (90 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 572-674 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 465-547 (143.9 - 169.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 550-648 (181.5 - 213.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 418-492 (105.2 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Breakneck Blitz (800 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Lugia: 337-396 (81 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Porygon-Z is the worst offender, since practically nothing in the game other than ghost types can survive Breakneck Blitz, and Z-Conversion + Hyper Beam is even worse, except that it pretty much guarantees that GonZ dies the next day. MBee and Crawdaunt are also incredibly effective, with Crawdaunt's Aqua Jet capable of shredding through offensive teams and MBee's U-Turn turning it into a devastating offensive pivot. It's almost as bad as 2x Huge Power Mega Medicham's High Jump Kick, Huge Power is still obviously worse as it applies to all moves, but still.

Regenerator should probably go, but I don't know. You have stuff like Sheer Force Nidoking, M-Pinsir with a stronger Return, PorygonZ with Download (even if Adaptability gets banned, a potential nasty-plot boost on switch-in is a big deal), those things hit like a truck, and stall teams are going to have a hard time with it.

I'm a bit worried that the list of viable abilities is a little short, rendering a lot of pokemon unviable, but it's a cool concept regardless.

Can you explain how you came to 2.25 rather then 3x?

also adability gives a 1.5x boost to stab moves correct? or does it boost stab moves additional damage to 2x, if that's the case it would actually give a 1.334x boost to the power of stab moves which double that would be 2.668x which would result in a 4x boost to stab moves... instead of a 1.5x yaaaa no matter how you slice it completely crazy.

also I will say rough skin is going to hurt like crazy if you have rocky helmet if I did my math right you should deal 5/12th of your health per hit

other wise it just does 1/4th :p which still hurts a crap ton

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Can you explain how you came to 2.25 rather then 3x?
It depends on your interpretation of how a 1.5x power thing works. Is it:

A) Applied again (in other words, a multiplication)? That would be 1.5*1.5=2.25x boost
B) Has the chance added on again? This also raises the question of if technician for example is a 1.5x BP multiplier or a 50% increase in BP. So would be be 50%+50%=100% more BP or would it be a 1.5x+1.5x=3.0x multiplier?

The issue with B is that it is VERY much not the case for Fur Coat or Fluffy as you outlined, since no matter how you slice it you can't add up a 50% damage reduction or a 0.5x multiplier and end up with 25% or 0.25x multiplier. Instead, they'd be absolutely useless aside from Fluffy giving a 4x weakness to Fire type moves.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Prism Armor and Solid Rock (and Filter) are all really good too, taking only 56% of the damage from super effective attacks - basically they don’t have 2x weaknesses. Thick Fat is also really good, making it so Mega Venusaur now resists Ice and Fire.

Weather evasion abilities (particularly Sand Veil) are busted tbh. Making it so incoming attacks have a 0.64x accuracy modifier is hilariously dumb. Smooth Rock supported Sub/SD Garchomp sounds far too good.

Meanwhile weather speed abilities make it so that Pokémon under the effect will outspeed everything. Pretty much no doubt about it. Solar Power is also quite good, despite the huge HP loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)