Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Question, where would I put a post about a single set as opposed to an entire team? I have a cool new idea (think new meta but somewhat serious) but it doesn't seem appropriate for any of the places on the forums. Doesn't seem to go in RMT, Metagames, Analysis, B101 (not a noob), or anything like that. Also don't want to bother mods by asking permission for something so small.
You probably want the Creative and Underrated Sets thread.

Reactions: gum
I own a side PS! server, and after last update I've noticed that chat gets cleared a lot more frequently. This is too frequent for our server since we don't have many users, so where in the code could I alter this frequency? And if this is a wrong place to ask, please show me the right thread.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I own a side PS! server, and after last update I've noticed that chat gets cleared a lot more frequently. This is too frequent for our server since we don't have many users, so where in the code could I alter this frequency? And if this is a wrong place to ask, please show me the right thread.
What do you mean by cleared? If you mean the entire chatroom's history is emptied that only happens when a restart occurs, or if you use a program a custom command to do so. Otherwise i'm unsure what you mean by the chat being cleared.

What do you mean by cleared? If you mean the entire chatroom's history is emptied that only happens when a restart occurs, or if you use a program a custom command to do so. Otherwise i'm unsure what you mean by the chat being cleared.
I guess I worded that wrong, I meant that when I come, I only get chat history for last 2-3 hours or so. I used to see last night messages in the morning back then, and now I don't.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I guess I worded that wrong, I meant that when I come, I only get chat history for last 2-3 hours or so. I used to see last night messages in the morning back then, and now I don't.
Only the last 100 lines are shown when you connect to a room, not sure where that limit is enforced (client, server, both) so you may or may not be able to tweak that. Basically it means your server is more active than before.

I can’t connect to the online servers I’ve had this issue for a few days I’m play on an iPad on Chrome and Safari but nothing’s works to connect.

Reactions: DYA
Why cant we search for more than one battle on PS anymore? It is kind of annoying that you have to play every battle until its last turn to be able to search again.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Why cant we search for more than one battle on PS anymore? It is kind of annoying that you have to play every battle until its last turn to be able to search again.
It was chiefly changed to make it harder to timerstall.

Only the last 100 lines are shown when you connect to a room, not sure where that limit is enforced (client, server, both) so you may or may not be able to tweak that. Basically it means your server is more active than before.
You got me wrong, it's not about lines but about time. Line limit is perfectly fine, but when I connect in the morning, chat is perfectly clear, so I need to tweak time limit.
Is there any other place I can ask about this?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
You got me wrong, it's not about lines but about time. Line limit is perfectly fine, but when I connect in the morning, chat is perfectly clear, so I need to tweak time limit.
Is there any other place I can ask about this?
Not really, even if there was it would be a tech staff member like me answering. Is your server hosted on glitch? It might be automatically restarting overnight due to inactivity which clears chat. Glitch does that, you can check if the server recently restarted with /uptime.

Straight to the topic. Why is h.a clef with softboiled banned from Showdown , and h.a azumarill with whirlpool is not? Both being illegal moves. I've been searching and prolly not using the best keywords for it. Any decent sould cares to explain to me?

PS: Playing a MMO that decided to also ban h.a azu with whirpool while on SD it's legal, so just wondering the main reason why it is allowed.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
Straight to the topic. Why is h.a clef with softboiled banned from Showdown , and h.a azumarill with whirlpool is not? Both being illegal moves. I've been searching and prolly not using the best keywords for it. Any decent sould cares to explain to me?

PS: Playing a MMO that decided to also ban h.a azu with whirpool while on SD it's legal, so just wondering the main reason why it is allowed.
Clef cannot learn softboiled except for in gen 3, where the HA it has did not exist.
e: mb, forgot VC did that

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader

I moved this post to the SQSA thread, because that's where these questions go. As for the answer, Clefable only learns Soft-Boiled as a Emerald / FRLG tutor move, while its HA is Gen 5 onwards. Azumarill, on the other hand, gets Whirlpool as a TM in GSC (and HGSS), which can be transfered by VC to gen 7 where it will have its HA.

Is it possible to start a server on a mobile device, likecon a tablet?
Possibly, but it would most likely depend heavily on the specific tablet and if there's any Node.js support for your platform (it might, but I doubt it).

I moved this post to the SQSA thread, because that's where these questions go. As for the answer, Clefable only learns Soft-Boiled as a Emerald / FRLG tutor move, while its HA is Gen 5 onwards. Azumarill, on the other hand, gets Whirlpool as a TM in GSC (and HGSS), which can be transfered by VC to gen 7 where it will have its HA.
It learns it as a HM in HGSS (Gen 4) according to Bulba - and since h.a. is Gen 5+, how exactly would you get the HM that's only learnable on a non-h.a. Azu, onto an H.a. azu? (sorry i thought the whole area was to post the question not the thread itself. read it wrong, sorry for trouble)

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
It learns it as a HM in HGSS (Gen 4) according to Bulba - and since h.a. is Gen 5+, how exactly would you get the HM that's only learnable on a non-h.a. Azu, onto an H.a. azu? (sorry i thought the whole area was to post the question not the thread itself. read it wrong, sorry for trouble)
when you transfer a mon with Virtual Console to gen 7, it gets its HA automatically.

How do old gens create their learnsets? Looking at the code files, there's only ones for Generation II, VGC17, and LGPE, discounting the master one. Does the code there just read moves from a future generation and use those instead?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
How do old gens create their learnsets? Looking at the code files, there's only ones for Generation II, VGC17, and LGPE, discounting the master one. Does the code there just read moves from a future generation and use those instead?
All the learnsets are in data/learnsets.js for Gens Current(7)-3, since you cant transfer from Gen 2 (bar virtual console which is handled in data/learnsets.js) to future generations, the gen 2 mod has its own learnsets file that handles gens 1 & 2.

The specifics of when and how a pokemon learns a move can be found in the array of strings for each move. ex: Bulbasaur has this entry for growl (7L3) which means Bulbasaur learns growl in generation 7 (7L3) at level (7L3) 3 (7L3). Other code include:
  • L - Level (Gen L Level ex: 7L3)
  • M - Technical Machine (Gen M ex: 5M)
  • T - Move Tutor (Gen T ex: 3T)
  • E - Egg Move (Gen 4E)
  • V - Virtual Console Transfer (Gen-post Transfer V ex: 7V)
  • S - Special Event (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) (4S0)
There might be some I missed, though a quick glance showed these.

It was chiefly changed to make it harder to timerstall.
How does being unable to play simultaneous games it make easier to timestall? The (CENSORED) sore loosers that do it won't stop being (CENSORED) anytime soon.

Not to mention it doesn't even work correctly.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
How does being unable to play simultaneous games it make easier to timestall? The (CENSORED) sore loosers that do it won't stop being (CENSORED) anytime soon.

Not to mention it doesn't even work correctly.
The chief change was actually just changing it so the bank of time ran down faster, so they couldn't save as much time for the end, which is the main prevention.
I'd assume the change for simultaneous games was both so people wouldn't lose more games because of this, and so "multiple games" isn't an excuse.

The chief change was actually just changing it so the bank of time ran down faster, so they couldn't save as much time for the end, which is the main prevention.
I'd assume the change for simultaneous games was both so people wouldn't lose more games because of this, and so "multiple games" isn't an excuse.
Wouldn't it have been easier to just add a global timer? You know, the one the cartridge game ALREADY HAS on almost all modes of play, and that it would also help avoid those endless battles? And just penalize with kicks and temporary bans to whoever ragequits/timestalls if the issue persists.

The reason you can't start multiple games while your timer is running is to prevent people from just letting one game sit until their entire timer runs out while they just move on to another game, forcing the opponent to wait extra time just because someone is salty for losing.
Basically, if the game is going fast, you can't start another. If the game is going slow but you're making your moves fast, you can start another.

The reason you can't start multiple games while your timer is running is to prevent people from just letting one game sit until their entire timer runs out while they just move on to another game, forcing the opponent to wait extra time just because someone is salty for losing.
Basically, if the game is going fast, you can't start another. If the game is going slow but you're making your moves fast, you can start another.
Except the main way people timestall is by disconnecting entirely, or opening a video on YouTube to pass the time. Or just letting the time run out without doing anything, and move at the last second to further annoy the opponent. This is a band-aid solution that doesn't do anything except frustrate simultaneous games enthusiasts like me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)