Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

How do old gens create their learnsets? Looking at the code files, there's only ones for Generation II, VGC17, and LGPE, discounting the master one. Does the code there just read moves from a future generation and use those instead?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
Community Leader
How do old gens create their learnsets? Looking at the code files, there's only ones for Generation II, VGC17, and LGPE, discounting the master one. Does the code there just read moves from a future generation and use those instead?
All the learnsets are in data/learnsets.js for Gens Current(7)-3, since you cant transfer from Gen 2 (bar virtual console which is handled in data/learnsets.js) to future generations, the gen 2 mod has its own learnsets file that handles gens 1 & 2.

The specifics of when and how a pokemon learns a move can be found in the array of strings for each move. ex: Bulbasaur has this entry for growl (7L3) which means Bulbasaur learns growl in generation 7 (7L3) at level (7L3) 3 (7L3). Other code include:
  • L - Level (Gen L Level ex: 7L3)
  • M - Technical Machine (Gen M ex: 5M)
  • T - Move Tutor (Gen T ex: 3T)
  • E - Egg Move (Gen 4E)
  • V - Virtual Console Transfer (Gen-post Transfer V ex: 7V)
  • S - Special Event (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) (4S0)
There might be some I missed, though a quick glance showed these.

How does being unable to play simultaneous games it make easier to timestall? The (CENSORED) sore loosers that do it won't stop being (CENSORED) anytime soon.

Not to mention it doesn't even work correctly.
The chief change was actually just changing it so the bank of time ran down faster, so they couldn't save as much time for the end, which is the main prevention.
I'd assume the change for simultaneous games was both so people wouldn't lose more games because of this, and so "multiple games" isn't an excuse.

Tramuntana

formerly SJMistery
The chief change was actually just changing it so the bank of time ran down faster, so they couldn't save as much time for the end, which is the main prevention.
I'd assume the change for simultaneous games was both so people wouldn't lose more games because of this, and so "multiple games" isn't an excuse.
Wouldn't it have been easier to just add a global timer? You know, the one the cartridge game ALREADY HAS on almost all modes of play, and that it would also help avoid those endless battles? And just penalize with kicks and temporary bans to whoever ragequits/timestalls if the issue persists.

The reason you can't start multiple games while your timer is running is to prevent people from just letting one game sit until their entire timer runs out while they just move on to another game, forcing the opponent to wait extra time just because someone is salty for losing.
Basically, if the game is going fast, you can't start another. If the game is going slow but you're making your moves fast, you can start another.

Tramuntana

formerly SJMistery
The reason you can't start multiple games while your timer is running is to prevent people from just letting one game sit until their entire timer runs out while they just move on to another game, forcing the opponent to wait extra time just because someone is salty for losing.
Basically, if the game is going fast, you can't start another. If the game is going slow but you're making your moves fast, you can start another.
Except the main way people timestall is by disconnecting entirely, or opening a video on YouTube to pass the time. Or just letting the time run out without doing anything, and move at the last second to further annoy the opponent. This is a band-aid solution that doesn't do anything except frustrate simultaneous games enthusiasts like me.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
Community Leader
I want to ask if i can transfer a team from one pc to another
On the team you want to transfer, hit Import/Export next to the bar where you enter a name. Copy the text, and send it to your other PC somehow. Possibly through http://www.pastebin.com or another site like that. (enter the url of the paste you create with the team on the target PC). Then on the PC you want to place the team, hit new team, then hit import from text and place the text there and hit save.

On the team you want to transfer, hit Import/Export next to the bar where you enter a name. Copy the text, and send it to your other PC somehow. Possibly through http://www.pastebin.com or another site like that. (enter the url of the paste you create with the team on the target PC). Then on the PC you want to place the team, hit new team, then hit import from text and place the text there and hit save.
thnx bro

is missingno supposed to be able to be used in gen 1 custom game? Attempting it gives the message "Missingno. is not a real Pokemon." and I thought it seemed weird that I couldn't use it in gen 1. (Thought it might be because of how there might not be a valid sprite)

Is Showdown! supposed to display the exact same messages that the real game would display? Today I just noticed that it displays "A sandstorm kicked up!" in DPP OU when it displays "<Pokemon>'s Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!" in real Pokemon games.

Hi, I've got a question. I've heard of private rooms, and I've seen some people use them, but can't find how to create them. Can someone tell me how?

Hi. I was wondering if it is possible to reset my username on PS. It is Tomete, but after I set an away status on another server, my username was kinda affected and had some extra letters added to it. Like this:

Can someone remove the afk part from my PS username please?
If you do /trn nameyouwant on PS, it should remove the extra afk part until you set it back in.

Cheese5555

too cheesy
what is the rationale behind making the finding battle before making move restriction not apply to first 5 turns? i asked in help and got a response saying it made it easier to ladder, but i would start a new game near the end of a game when i know i'll win or lose rather than at the beginning and it makes no sense that there's a restriction that starts only after 5 games.

Hello! I was wondering if there is someplace here on the forums to discuss Random Battle. I have some suggestions that I might like to make and I'd love to be able to contribute... but I can't find it.

Thank you!

Teclis

Magicien
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
what is the rationale behind making the finding battle before making move restriction not apply to first 5 turns? i asked in help and got a response saying it made it easier to ladder, but i would start a new game near the end of a game when i know i'll win or lose rather than at the beginning and it makes no sense that there's a restriction that starts only after 5 games.
This change has been implemented to discourage people from timestalling at the end of the game, when they know they will lose and are launching another game/waiting for the timer to run out just in case. We made an exception at the beginning of the battles to allow those who want to do multiple at the same time to do so - which some players will typically do to climb the ladder faster.

Plus tech wise I don't know how we would tell the system when it is "near the end of the game" since the score is not really a good indicator here :psywoke:

Question, might of been answered but is there a way to copy a team from a replay? I've seen teams I like but don't know how to use them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)