Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

There's one that's been bugging me for a long time, and I've never gotten a straight answer. The rules for art submittals include "The [main design] image must consist of a single Pokémon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent." My question is why? Nearly all official artwork of this nature is released with a transparent background, and I find this one of CAP's odder departures from TPC standard.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The white background rule was primarily intended to eliminate people submitting designs with background scenes, other characters, etc. Also, since the time CAP started (and still to this day) we want to allow artists that work with physical media (ie. pens, pencils, paper, etc) to be able to submit to CAP art contests. There is no way for a physical media artist to produce a transparent background without a graphics program and potentially difficult background-stripping.

You must wait the next CAP process and submit your ideas to the popular discussion and voting. I recommend you read the CAP Forum Rules to better understand how the process works.
Not necessarily, CAP 27 might be almost over, but there are still some things left to decide. Right now you can participate in the Name Poll or in the Complete Movepool thread, and after that, there's still Flavor Ability and Dex Entries, so there's still plenty of things left to discuss. You can start contributing today!

Awkward question: I know updates at the start of the gen turned into a mess, but what (if anything) are we going to do about the new tutor moves? Another Discord session or two?

Excuse me, but do you have a set timeframe for CAP 28 to start?
There isn’t currently a set time for 28 to start, no, unfortunately. Usually there is a month or two gap between the release of a CAP and the starting of a next one - so I would hazard a guess at at least a few more weeks before CAP28 starts, if not a little longer

pupbert

Banned deucer.
Hello i an Newb to thihks projekt and have some VERY GOOD IDEAS for a new CreateAndPokeMon but would wish to Not Fall Foul of the Process could it please be expained how my creation is submtited thank you.

Hello i an Newb to thihks projekt and have some VERY GOOD IDEAS for a new CreateAndPokeMon but would wish to Not Fall Foul of the Process could it please be expained how my creation is submtited thank you.
Assuming that you're talking about participating in CAP, I'll just say that you can participate in CAP processes as much as you want.

hello I have a question hopeful this is the right place but i notice the created a pokemon section of the smogon dotcom ionly updated to kerfluffyle, can anyone tell me where i can find the infromation on the latest create a pokemon after that ? and some suggested uses and movesets for them and if they are viable and good ? i was recentyl called a stupid noob for using voodoom on the pokemons showdown and i do not want to repeated my mistake... thank you much in advance...

• Love
Reactions: hs

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Idk if the subsite is going to be updated anytime soon, but if you want information about CAPs, this would be a good place:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/encaplopedia-the-complete-reference-index-for-create-a-pokémon.48782/

Also, if you want to know about what mons are unviable in today's meta, here's a link to a cool post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-cap-viability-rankings.3658514/post-8441631 (bit outdated though, crucibelle has a niche as a scarfer who can kill volcarona now).

Last edited:
hello I have a question hopeful this is the right place but i notice the created a pokemon section of the smogon dotcom ionly updated to kerfluffyle, can anyone tell me where i can find the infromation on the latest create a pokemon after that ? and some suggested uses and movesets for them and if they are viable and good ? i was recentyl called a stupid noob for using voodoom on the pokemons showdown and i do not want to repeated my mistake... thank you much in advance...
https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/formats/cap/

This has links to information about all the cap pokemon, typing/stats/movepools/abilities etc. For viability, I would reccomend the link Zephyr2007 posted.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
As ability voting is going on, under what circumstance is a CAP Pokemon given a signature ability, like how Mountaineer, Persistent, and Rebound were given to Syclant, Fidgit, and Collosoil?

As ability voting is going on, under what circumstance is a CAP Pokemon given a signature ability, like how Mountaineer, Persistent, and Rebound were given to Syclant, Fidgit, and Collosoil?
After these mon were created prior to the decision to use only the existent toolset.

Now, it would likely be a special 'celebration' CAP to use a non-standard ability as its 'custom' element.

A custom ability could in theory be submitted as the Concept during the Concept stage I suppose

I stand corrected, please see below.

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
After these mon were created prior to the decision to use only the existent toolset.

Now, it would likely be a special 'celebration' CAP to use a non-standard ability as its 'custom' element.

A custom ability could in theory be submitted as the Concept during the Concept stage I suppose.
To further clarify this, we actually don't allow custom abilities or moves at any point in the CAP process. GameFreak has given us more than enough tools to work with, meaning we don't need to use custom elements anymore. The first rule posted in this thread can illustrate it better than I could. Unlike what CharSiuEmboar said, a concept submission can't even contain a custom element. We haven't made a custom element as a result in almost a decade.

The 'Celebration CAP' that they're referring to was due to the silver anniversary of CAP. We built CAP25 as a trio of starter Pokemon based on votes from the community. This thread can detail more of what that process looked like. This sort of thing is once in a blue moon and does not represent the standard CAP has for its own process. It was more of an event for us to try something new! If you have more questions or comments zxgzxg feel free to join our Discord and ask!

Hello there. I was wondering, did you guys ever think about doing a "Ruins of Alph" CAP ? That is, create a Pokemon for an old generation (for example : designing a strong answer to GSC Snorlax)?

Sorry if I've missed an obvious answer to this question, thanks for your time !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)