Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, not completely counter-productive, since you still get the boost. But you'd be much better off using something with Surf instead, or not Gastrodon.

Gastrodon is quite a pro Pokémon actually. I may use him myself but I'm like... debating over him or Rotom-W. Whoah actually I seem to remember catching a modest shiny Gastrodon named Mrs Teacup many years ago so I can just use her.

And about the name idgaf lol it's cute and I made it up on the spot

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I guess imma keep gastro. He shits on rain..., literally. I guess i might keep both of them. they both work as amazing vs rain, and gives rotom free room to discharge. Might just change rotoms form to mow....

Also being its swiss, how long are rounds gonna be, being everyone has to finish, and they must manully type everything for swiss?

I guess imma keep gastro. He shits on rain..., literally. I guess i might keep both of them. they both work as amazing vs rain, and gives rotom free room to discharge. Might just change rotoms form to mow....

Also being its swiss, how long are rounds gonna be, being everyone has to finish, and they must manully type everything for swiss?
FYI Ludicolo is by far the most common rain Pokemon and always has a grass-type attack >_>

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Also I think you mean figuratively, not literally. If Gastrodon were to literally shit on rain it would imply that Gastrodon would be defecating on common Rain Pokemon.

Alright this is gonna be a nooby question, but what exactly is item clause? Does it mean you can't have say 2 choice scarf pokemon on the same team? Because I'm getting in to VGC rules, and came across item clause and honestly didn't fully understand what it meant. If means you can't have duplicate items on a team, then disregard the question.

It depends on the number of people you have to face and how many battles per opponent it takes. I want to say 2-4 hours but I could be totally off.

It depends on the time limit. I'd give 30 minutes per round, from the time the matchups are posted to the time the matchups for the next round are posted, maybe a bit more time. I'd expect 7-9 rounds of Swiss, along with a break for food so expect maybe around 5~ hours?

I was torn on where to post this so I apologize if I made the wrong decision. Anyways. I've seen the phrase "good stuff" team thrown around quite a lot for the 2012 VGC and while I do understand the concept I just don't understand the details. From what I've drawn is that it's just a team of good pokez. Can anyone give me an example of what a good stuff team is and what pokez it consists of? I understand there's a lot of diversity and preference but are there any pokez that are staples to teams like these?

Thank you for your help,
Xic

"Goodstuff" is basically everything that doesn't fit into a known team concept such as Rain Dance, Trick Room etc although it's really hard to define a generic Goodstuff team. Most of the time those types of teams just mix up anti-metagame stuff (anti-weather in the case of VGC12) or they even consist of a mix of various field effects while still being able to work without those effects and not only against metagame teams but also against a good variety of other Goodstuff teams.

In my opinion, Goodstuff teams in VGC12, as well as every other type of teams, need to fulfill 3 important criteria:
1) speed control
2) weather control
3) good synergy

Now to a list of Pokémon that (might) do well in Goodstuff teams:
- Cresselia
- Tyranitar
- Fighting Pokémon (Conkeldurr, Machamp, Terrakion)
- Salamence
- Hitmontop
- Abomasnow
- Infernape
- Garchomp
- Zapdos/Rotoms/Thundurus
- Lati twins
- Ludicolo/Gastrodon
- Ferrothorn
... basically any Pokémon can be used within this concept.

Hope I could help.

Basically goodstuffs is the best team option and the one the winners usually end up using, since it doesn't have any particular counters while being able to deal with almost anything.

What are some of your guys' opinion on Scizor as far as a Goodstuff Pokemon? My team is somewhat specialized and I wanted to include an all around good Pokemon to counter threats.

What are some of your guys' opinion on Scizor as far as a Goodstuff Pokemon? My team is somewhat specialized and I wanted to include an all around good Pokemon to counter threats.

Politoed is a great partner for scizor because it sets up rain and makes the x4 weakness, x2. It's also a great counter to heatran. Metagross walls scizor if you don't have bug bite. Even with it, Metagross is physically bulky.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I see that the analysis for Politoed suggests minimum Speed but uses Encore. I understand that the minimum Speed is for the weather, but isn't it difficult to use Encore effectively with minimum Speed? It seems like it would require a lot more prediction than a faster Pokémon using Encore, as you won't know what move you'll be Encoring since the target will [most likely] be faster than Politoed.
There are situations when people lead politoed+kingdra vs fake outer+X.

The fake outer would fake out kingdra, but kingdra uses protect, and poli encores the fake outer. Though this is my experience vs it.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I don't think it's worth it to lower Politoed's Speed. Unlike Kyogre or Groudon in 2010, Politoed does not speed tie any other weather changers. Unless you like taking chances on the opponent not minimizing speed on their Abomasnow or Tyranitar in order to outslow them to set up weather, there isn't much of a point to it.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I would say try Modest nature first. I can't see Timid being useful without the Scarf, and I can't really think of anything key that you'd want to survive that you would want to change to Bold/Calm for.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I would go with HP + SpA. Might as well stick with the EVs from the placeholder set it's based off of to start. From there you can try to see if there is anything important that you would want Politoed to outrun and adjust your speed.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I made some speed tiers for VGC 12 that should be really helpful with this decision.

The point of lowering Politoed's Speed is to make it as effective as possible against opposing Trick Room teams, which usually run right through rain teams. In addition, the analysis is a placeholder for a reason; it's not ready for QC approval yet, and the author is still revising it, so I wouldn't use it the way you would an analysis that's passed through QC; there aren't even set comments yet. In addition, you don't really seem to know which Pokemon you'll be using Encore on. Figure that out first before trying to find a Speed to set Poli to.

Ehhh, rain beats trick room it's terrible. Rain is just the only way to play this metagame I think. You just have to use NON-STANDARD STANDARD POKÉMON like always if you want to come out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)