Dexit discussion thread

I'm really confused what you're trying to get at here?
What I'm getting at is that worrying about wasting time on things that won't be relevant in the following generation is just silly.

Despite common complaints of stagnation, Pokemon changes quite a bit every generation, and has done so ever since Gen 2. Moves, abilities, Pokemon, and fundamental mechanics are constantly being tweaked or added. Learning what's new in a given game is just... part of the game. Like, it's always been that way and it's never going to stop being that way, because that's just how new games of any franchise work.

Do you enjoy something? Learn it, it'll be fun. Do you not enjoy something? Don't bother learning it, it's no big deal.

Home would have been inexcusable even if Dexit wasn't a thing. Don't conflate the failings of one with the failings of the other.
To be fair though, there is correlation between each issue. Services/features that were present in previous games were stripped out - only to be repackaged/resold later to a degree. While definitely separate, discussing them within the same conversation is not unwarranted.

As an additional note, I got Bank on release in 2013 and have had it ever since (I did let it lapse for a few months with no penalty though). ~50 USD spent in total. If I had gotten Home on release, I would already be at ~60 USD - easily overtaking Bank's cost in less than half the time. Fortunately Dexit ruined my motivation to keep working on pkmn projects for a long time, so I've only now upgraded to Gen 8 lol.

Ok, tell me how a service that's about transferring pokemon is unrelated to the issue of games not allowing all pokemon being able to be transferred
They're related to an extent, but you're asking people to defend Home as if Home is awful because of Dexit. Home is awful because it's an expensive service that replaced a significantly less expensive service for unexplained reasons (was there ever any explanation given as to why Bank couldn't just get continually updated? besides "it doesn't make us as much money").

I guess it's because HOME does not rely on a console. It does not justify the price but you not needing a 3DS or a Switch to make use of it is reasonable.
That's not entirely true - actually it's much the reverse. The mobile app has far more features than the Switch version for some incredibly dumb reason, though console has some exclusive features as well.

On mobile you can only: use the GTS, use WT, use that weird room trade thing I've never used, complete challenges (eh), receive mystery gifts, trade between users, access the catch calendar, check battle data, see your Pokemon's ribbons, apply tags to Pokemon, and access news bulletins.

On console you can only: transfer between Home/game, distribute BP, move Pokemon between boxes, and access your activity records. Also, the UI on console is far better and easier to use - but that might just be me.

On both you can: transfer and receive from Bank/Go, access the National Dex, check each Pokemons game compatibility, and of course, actually look at your mons.

I might have missed some things so do let me know, however, it's pretty clear that whoever was in charge of unifying features died of an aneurysm 30 secs into doing their job and no one noticed. Realistically, getting both is mandatory to actually make full use Home - which is completely dumb in of itself.

They're related to an extent, but you're asking people to defend Home as if Home is awful because of Dexit. Home is awful because it's an expensive service that replaced a significantly less expensive service for unexplained reasons
Well you see, that's the thing
Dexit is awful because of Home

First, why would anyone get, or even expect a service like Pokemon Home?
because of the expectation that you can transfer your pokemon, otherwise why would such a service even exist?
and the only reason to transfer pokemon is to get pokemon from previous games
shinies! exclusive moves! mythicals! or just old pokemon you got an emotional attachment for for whatever reason
that's the service

and if you can't transfer your pokemon to a new game? well then the service does nothing
and that's why Dexit if awful

because without it Home would be expensive yes, but it would actually do what it was supposed to do give you the ability to use old pokemon in new games
because if you don't plan to do that, why even get your old pokemon to Home then? why even get Pokemon Home then? or even Pokemon Bank?

and if you can only use some of those old pokemon in new games, and you have no guarantee which ones you can use, or if you might be able to keep using them later on, then that's a shitty service

here's an analogy for you: you got a bunch of shoes and you're moving, you want to take your shoes with you so a company offers to get your shoes to you on your new home; but only some of them, the rest will be kept in a warehouse where you can't access them
oh but don't worry, the next time you move some of those shoes will be given to you and some of the ones you were originally sent will be sent to the warehouse, which ones? who knows!
that'd be a horrible service
and you should absolutely complain about it

and that's why arguments like "dexit was inevitiblealable" don't hold water, because when Home was announced it literally promised that we could transfer our old pokemon to newer games ("only some of them in some games but we won't tell you which one shhh it's a seeeecret!" is both bullshit and of course not advertised at the time of the announcement)
because if you realized you can no longer support transfers why even announce Home in the first place?

unless you knew you could feasibly keep doing it for as long as Pokemon Home remained in service at least

but then it turned out that Gamefreak couldn't make the old models work on time with the paltry 10% of the budget their competitors get
delay the game? hell no! what about the anime and the merchandise? they'll mostly ignore the new games and pokemon anyways but still
cancel Home? hell no! we release it and increase its price by over 300%
people complain? but game development is haaaaard so we have to make a worse job than other big game studios and even some indy studios do why oh why are you so mean to us our terrible business practices not withstanding?

"but they had to remake to modelz and better animashunz" for what, Pokemon camp? yeah that's true
you know what's also true? few people give a shit about Pokemon Camp
you wanna know what animations people care about? look at Pokemon Legends which came 3 years after the "better animations" line was given

and all these issues, all of them, would have been lessened if not gone if Pokemon Home had been never announced
because if the Pokemon Company had actually made the decision and said "sorry guys but we can no longer transfer your old pokemon to new games" instead of "we totally made a new service for your transfers (but not really)"
that would have been sad yes, but it wouldn't have been an excuse for misleading statements and abusive services

without Dexit Pokemon Home is just overpriced

with Dexit Pokemon Home is a terrible service that has led to its owners to make misleading statements and alienate its own costumers
and also overpriced

Last edited:
So with today's announcement of gen 9 (dexit confirmed) along with home contectivity for PLA and BDSP, we are now in a position where we know the state of play for the future. It looks like GF are sticking with their SWSH statement that no more games will have all Pokemon, despite the false hope given with the SWSH DLCs.

Ive already written enough posts about my disgust for dexit to sound like a broken record, so I won't elaborate much here. But at its core the lack of Pokemon options and jail like nature of Home kills my interest in the game, as nothing is future proofed and all the efforts in raising Mega, Dynamax etc sets becomes pointless the next game.

With the 3DS Bank system getting closer to being closed (no date yet but soon the app won't be download able) I have been wanting to transfer my gen 7 and below mons, but I don't think I will bother now. I can't get motivated by anything in gen 9 atm, I will almost certainly be passing on this and everything else GF until Dexit is removed.

I've always said for me Dexit is the one thing I will never accept and it will end my engagement with the franchise eventually. Why? Because they now have detailed models for every Pokemon (and doing the last 60 not in gen 8 won't take long), so for a franchise with such a huge revenue there is no excuse for dexit any more. The 3DS could handle 800 Pokemon, the Switch should not have a problem with the 1000 in gen 9.

I am glad you missed the entire discussion about how bringing over the full pokedex has been unhealthy for the franchise AND for the development and it was by time they finally committed to not doing it anymore.
SmilingEmoji

I'm glad they are sticking to it.
At least they won't have to overload themselves with absurd amounts of work next time there's a console shift.

It's them who deliberately set themselves on a yearly schedule. They could just... release it later.
It doesnt work like that.
You know how much pride japanese companies take for their work and their schedules.
You saw how awful the FF14 lead guy was when they *had* to delay the release of Endwalker by a handful weeks to finish it. (Whenever that was an act or real, well, that's up to debate, obviously).

I'm quite sure GameFreaks leadership but really pretty much most japanese IPs would only resort to delay a release schedule in extremely critical situations (aka being literally impossible to meet the deadline).

I've always said for me Dexit is the one thing I will never accept and it will end my engagement with the franchise eventually.
I definitely feel your pain: I've said it before as well (maybe in this same thread?) that I've only required the bare minimum from GF - have all the Pokemon. Horrible story, mediocre graphics, less content, etc., all don't matter to me as long as I've been able to bring my friends along with me. GF can't even accomplish that anymore.

However, there are ways to stay in the community without feeding GF's greed. For example, emulated games buying used games. At least for new titles, used games can be cheaper than their full release cost (I got Sword used for $50 USD without looking hard at all). When buying used, the money doesn't go back to TPC and you can still keep up with the content and your friends. It's not all sunshine and rainbows - Switch Online and Home are still outrageously expensive and they'll still go after you with DLC. But, a little patience never hurt anyone and you'd still be denying GF some money.

Of course, to each their own: everyone should do what they feel is best. But, there are options other than all or nothing that are worth considering.

I've never liked the "Catch 'em All" motto the series used to have. I've been always of the "Catch those I like and ignore the rest" type.

But with Dexit I cannot even do that. Say, in Sword and Shield, after DLCs, there are 30 evolutionary lines I like (which includes my favourite) that cannot be used in the game.

I was giving them the benefit of doubt, that maybe they were trying something because they had some difficulties (as there was a Greninja in the beta), but it turning out to be intentional makes it no longer an excuse.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I understands the outrage of Dexit especially with the initial “reasoning” but it’s something we need to accept. Too many of us also become too complacent with our favorites instead of trying out the new Pokémon, or trying those who they didn’t used before.

What’s left in the past can only be relieved through secondhand or emulators due to how picky and draconian with both Nintendo and GF are wuth their IPs, or games we already owned. We can’t keep hoping for Dexit to cancel out as GF is adamently clear about this.

Plus would the games really be better if Dexit isn’t in effect? I rather have a great game with limited transfers than a mediocre game with all Pokémon available.

Plus would the games really be better if Dexit isn’t in effect? I rather have a great game with limited transfers than a mediocre game with all Pokémon available.
I personally would take a mediocre game with all pokemon available over a mediocre game with limited transfers, which is what we've been getting. We lost something big, and there's not much to show for it.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I personally would take a mediocre game with all pokemon available over a mediocre game with limited transfers, which is what we've been getting. We lost something big, and there's not much to show for it.
This. I think people have this mindset of "oh well, Dexit happened but at least [x]" and I'm struggling to see what it is they think x is.

A better standard of gameplay? Nope, not by a long chalk. More interesting and complex sidequests and postgame content? Nope*. High quality animations? Lol.

*In SwSh at least, can't speak to this re PLA as have not played it

Too many of us also become too complacent with our favorites instead of trying out the new Pokémon
To do that, all you have to do is lock out the older Pokémon until the post-game, like in Black and White.

You get the National Dex AND you make players use Pokémon they didn't use before.

The games didn't get any better after Dexit. If anything, they got worse, as Sword and Shield and especially PLA show.

Granted, they didn't get worse because of Dexit, but there was nothing to compensate. We went from okay games to mediocre (or outright terrible) games, from games where you could have all your favourites together to games where you may only have a very small group of them.

Last edited:
To do that, all you have to do is lock out the older Pokémon until the post-game, like in Black and White.

You get the National Dex AND you make players use Pokémon they didn't use before.

The games didn't get any better with Dexit. If anything, they got worse, as Sword and Shield and especially PLA show.

Granted, they didn't get worse because of Dexit, but there was nothing to compensate.
how does pla show that dexit has negatively affected the series? it's the best pokemon game in years

how does pla show that dexit has negatively affected the series? it's the best pokemon game in years
First of all, I didn't say it was because of the Dexit (just that it's a game that has a Dexit and happens to be worse than what was before). And second... PLA is the worst mainline game by far.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
First of all, I didn't say it was because of the Dexit (just that it's a game that has a Dexit and happens to be worse than what was before). And second... PLA is the worst mainline game by far.
“PLA is the worst mainline game by far” is an opinion, not a fact. Many people loved PLA for various reasons, so the fact you say it without considering why people loved it or why some disliked it in the first place is just being selfish and comes off as not caring about others’ opinions. Nothing wrong with stating it, just feels like you are taking your opinions in a pesdestral too high, something some people in OI doing so.

“PLA is the worst mainline game by far” is an opinion, not a fact. Many people loved PLA for various reasons, so the fact you say it without considering why people loved it or why some disliked it in the first place is just being selfish and comes off as not caring about others’ opinions. Nothing wrong with stating it, just feels like you are taking your opinions in a pesdestral too high, something some people in OI doing so.
I'm going to be honest here, it feels really off to call out that, but not "it's the best pokemon game in years" immediately above it, which is just as subjective.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
I'm going to be honest here, it feels really off to call out that, but not "it's the best pokemon game in years" immediately above it, which is just as subjective.
You’re right, and I’ll not sugercoat it.
Nobody cares! Dexit should automatically make the games a thousands times worse in rankings and attempting to justify it must be met with instant flaming scorns and make anyone liking Dexit games looks like massive idiots!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)