MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
HOLY FUCKING SHIT is right.

looks like the rays cannot hit light throwing lefties. At all.

not even a little bit.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
can mets management please fire jerry manuel? he has no idea how to use a bullpen and seems to look for reasons to bring them in. 7 innings, 98 pitches from santana (and only about 11 of those pitches were while he was "in trouble") and he pulls him for a pinch hitter in the top of the 8th...with 1 out and none on. and then nieve blows the 1-1 tie in the bottom of the 9th with a wild pitch. he's overworked the bullpen, which isn't really great to begin with outside of takahashi, and its showing its wear.

of course, if the met hitters knew how to advance runners (jose reyes for the second straight game fails to lay down a sacrifice bunt), i may not be this angry, but you gotta blame someone. maybe hojo should go with manuel because this mets offense has been embarassing to watch. bay slugging less than .400, wright on pace to strike out 200+ times, terrible situational hitting, and we're getting to the point in the season where these numbers are no longer a "small sample size," for wright anyway (i still believe bay is mired in one of his patented cold streaks).

It's a sign of the apocalypse. Edwin Jackson just pitched eight shutout innings with only 4 hits and 2 BB allowed. Not to mentioned he fanned twelve.

Jackal

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
bwebber, if you want to check out Lyle Overbay's above average defense, please get your hands on the 4th inning in today's Jays game.

He was charged with 2 errors in the inning (on the same play no less) and was lucky not to get charged with errors on two other plays. Terrible, terrible defense.

pookar

Banned deucer.
lol lyle overbay is like the older, worse defensive version of James Loney. I guess i wouldn't call him BAD defensively, but he definitely is in the lower half of all starting first baseman in defense. not to mention his hitting isnt exactly great. i saw the jays lineup the other day with overbay hitting ahead of bautista and encarnacion, it was horrible.

Whatever happened to that DH the Jays called up last september? He's a first baseman, isn't he?

edit: as i say this he homers

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For those who don't know, Roy Halladay threw a perfect game against the Marlins. So that's two perfect games and one no-hitter this year...

Jackal

words cannot describe how happy I am for him, no one deserved it more

Huge strike zone for Halladay and Johnson made the game watchable. Otherwise it would've gone on forever.

Congrats to Roy Halladay! I wish I could pitch like you...

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Watch, Zach Grienke is going to throw a perfect game and the Royals will STILL fuck it up somehow. I mean seriously the guy gives up one run and the Royals still can't give him a lead.

Congrats to Halladay though on his perfect game, welcome to AAA the NL.

several winning scores today in baseball:
Yankees 11 runs Braves 9 runs Marlins 13 runs Nationals 14 runs Cardinals 12 runs Padres 18
only 3/13 games had winners with less than 4 runs

I guess i wouldn't call him BAD defensively, but he definitely is in the lower half of all starting first baseman in defense.
Lol, contradiction much? Besides, what do you have to back that up?

Zach Grienke is going to throw a perfect game and the Royals will STILL fuck it up somehow.
LOL. That would be absolutely hilarious. I mean, it took Greinke a historically fantastic season and he only ended up with an 16-8 record. It's a testament to how bad the Royals offense/bullpen truly is.

pookar

Banned deucer.
if i was a dickhead who assumed you didnt know shit about sabr, this is what i would have posted
oh boy i really caught a fish here

and i guess now that i do have a statistic to back it up, he IS bad defenisvely.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2010&month=0

6th worst 1B in uzr, 4th worst in UZR/150
however, this is what im going to post, because he is actually slightly above average in defense at 1st base. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=300&type=1&season=2009&month=11

just to explain why the first set of statistics is not right (well it is right, but unreliable) you cannot effectively use many sabr stats over one year, but multiple years just to sort out any anomalies. if you go to overbay's career UZR by year, he has a few -5.0 seasons, but usually around 1.5 which is about his average (0 is average)

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
you can't overturn this call if you're selig, even if you have the power to. doing that opens the doors to every blown call ever recorded and that is one clusterfuck no one wants to deal with.

galarraga goes into cooperstown as the pitcher that threw a 28-out perfect game* (ruined by James A. Joyce III).

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
you can't overturn this call if you're selig, even if you have the power to. doing that opens the doors to every blown call ever recorded and that is one clusterfuck no one wants to deal with.

galarraga goes into cooperstown as the pitcher that threw a 28-out perfect game* (ruined by James A. Joyce III).
Yeah, no way it gets overturned, too much shit would come out and its a damn shame. The number of near perfects and no hits this year has been astounding so far, I wonder whats up with the batters ;).

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, no way it gets overturned, too much shit would come out and its a damn shame. The number of near perfects and no hits this year has been astounding so far, I wonder whats up with the batters ;).
They cracked down on roids. Turns out, normal humans can't hit a fastball.

Edit: Damn shame. This really proves that we need instant replay + challenge system like football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)