Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
love the trade for Boston. dumping $300M in future commitments AND getting value back as well? debatable whether or not they needed to do it but as a baseball trade, it's hard to be the losing party when you freed this much money and got good prospects back.

LA, though, is acting like they have unlimited money. maybe that's the case but it is never wise to just plow through cash like this.

relevant because it relates to ownership of the blue jays: rogers just bought the score! does that spell doom for getting blanked and drunk jays fans that shit on rogers? and what about the score's excellent broadcasting (as compared to other major canadian sports channels)? and beyond that, it seems like rogers is buying everything toronto sports related... blue jays fans, let us hold hands in solidarity
Oh lord I hope not... If so, I'm sure Stoeten would be willing (and capable) of finding someone else to blog for.. but I hope Rogers doesn't censure him and Fairservice :(

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm disappointed to see Gonzalez leave, he was one of the better and most consistent players on this team. But Crawford and Beckett alone cut off so much fat from this team. I love this deal, but I would have loved it even more if they got rid of Lackey too. This almost makes up for the Youkilis deal...

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Who plans on watching the D-Backs v. Reds game tonight? Cueto, the All-Star that wasn't, vs. Miley, the guy who may end up winning ROTY. (Unless ofc Frazier has some fun tonight)

Who plans on watching the D-Backs v. Reds game tonight? Cueto, the All-Star that wasn't, vs. Miley, the guy who may end up winning ROTY. (Unless ofc Frazier has some fun tonight)
Todd Frazier proceeded to have "fun tonight". Frazier is winning RotY. He has had a much better season than Wade Miley. Unless, of course, Dusty Baker's idiot ass plays Scott Rolen at third often when Votto comes back.

I can't wait to see Cueto win the Cy Young (or at least get second or so in the voting) but NOT make the all-star team, making Tony La Russa look like an ignorant, self-absorbed (BAN ME PLEASE).

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Todd Frazier proceeded to have "fun tonight". Frazier is winning RotY. He has had a much better season than Wade Miley. Unless, of course, Dusty Baker's idiot ass plays Scott Rolen at third often when Votto comes back.

I can't wait to see Cueto win the Cy Young (or at least get second or so in the voting) but NOT make the all-star team, making Tony La Russa look like an ignorant, self-absorbed (BAN ME PLEASE).
Do they have an NL rookie of the year? Cause if not, there is a man called Mike Trout who is kind of leading the league in WAR.....

Anyway how about Yu Darvish? He has better stuff then almost anyone in the league, just need him to get consistency!

Do they have an NL rookie of the year? Cause if not, there is a man called Mike Trout who is kind of leading the league in WAR.....

Anyway how about Yu Darvish? He has better stuff then almost anyone in the league, just need him to get consistency!
Every single meaningful award (MVP, Rookie of the Year, Cy Young) is given in both leagues. There is indeed zero debate for anyone other than Trout for AL Rookie of the Year, I'm just arguing for the NL Rookie of the Year, where Frazier is currently the front runner imo.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm confused as to how you know about metrics such as WAR but not that there are recipients of every award in each league.

4 game losing streak.

Still best record in majors. Awesome.
NOT ANYMORE HAHAHAHAHAHHEHEHEHOHOOHOOHUHUHUHAHAHAHAHAHA

let me know when you guys reach the 80 win club

#reds

haha just kidding though, i have nothing against the Nationals really

Front runner should be Wade Miley, though Frazier has had a really nice season! This isn't really a slight on Frazier, it's just Miley has been pretty damn awesome. Objectively looking it's hard to compare the two.

The one thing that Frazier has going for him is that what he does do well (hit) is what's more valued than what he isn't (defense). That'll give him more votes relative to his actual value than he should.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm confused as to how you know about metrics such as WAR but not that there are recipients of every award in each league.
I was aware there was for MVP, Cy Young etc, and I was almost certain there were two ROY awards. Just wanted to make sure Byrne wasn't being too much of a homer lol.

Ps WAR isn't really as difficult as you make it out to be!

Front runner should be Wade Miley, though Frazier has had a really nice season! This isn't really a slight on Frazier, it's just Miley has been pretty damn awesome. Objectively looking it's hard to compare the two.

The one thing that Frazier has going for him is that what he does do well (hit) is what's more valued than what he isn't (defense). That'll give him more votes relative to his actual value than he should.
Why should it be Wade Miley?

I'm a firm believer that awards like this should go to players that are on decent teams. Todd Frazier even just beat Wade Miley one-on-one by literally scoring almost all the runs for the Reds in a win against Miley with like a triple and some rbis and shit. Wade Miley is on a very mediocre team while Frazier is literally one of the only reasons that Reds are even still in the playoff hunt since Votto went down, let alone with the best record in the entire MLB, and they've been without their star for over a month.

How does an individual merit extra consideration based off of his team's success? That argument is literally inexcusable in this current day.

also, the fact that you even mentioned a "one v. one" scenario is absurd. That is random sequencing of hitting that has no provable background to dominance (nor should it matter, because these awards are based on how good they are). Comparing at bats vs pitchers and saying that because the batter hits well he is better is just absurd. I can pull any bullshit sample size for a TERRIBLE batter against Roger Clemens or Pedro Martinez, see them do well, and argue what you just did.

How does an individual merit extra consideration based off of his team's success? That argument is literally inexcusable in this current day.

also, the fact that you even mentioned a "one v. one" scenario is absurd. That is random sequencing of hitting that has no provable background to dominance (nor should it matter, because these awards are based on how good they are). Comparing at bats vs pitchers and saying that because the batter hits well he is better is just absurd. I can pull any bullshit sample size for a TERRIBLE batter against Roger Clemens or Pedro Martinez, see them do well, and argue what you just did.
Team success is ALWAYS factored into the winners of these awards. Go back in time and show me the last time a player won an MVP or something in any sport and was on a bad team. Have fun searching all night and not finding anything...besides...maybe...uhhh...Brandon Webb on the Diamondbacks in 2006, which was like the shittiest year of National League pitching ever? Yeah, I got nothing.

One on one scenarios are definitely scale-tippers. If the last game of the season is Felix Hernandez versus Justin Verlander and they're in a very tight race, I guarantee the pitcher that wins in that game is the pitcher that gets the AL Cy Young. Frazier crushed his only opposition, thus tipping the scales slightly in his favor even more.

Except, look at how voters have changed more to ignore insignificant things like that. Accepting something because of it being done in the past is ignorant if the logic of the past is wrong. also. Cal Ripken MVP, A-Rod MVP, Greinke Cy, Hernandez Cy, Halladay Cy (2003). In fact, all non-MVP awards do a pretty good job of not being blinded by winning bias. Admittedly, the sample is smaller in the MVP award particularly (in large part of the dependance of the voters on illogical and insignificant things), but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Look, all you've said is that these things act as tipping factors, but that's only for the voters. That doesn't mean it actually shows who DESERVES it more, which is what I was arguing. Fact is, both of what I pointed out fail to distinguish who actually deserves the award. At the end of the day, these awards are meant for the best of whatever they specify.

Gio gets his first CG SO and is still tied for the most wins in the majors. Nats have blasted out of whatever slump they were in.

Can Harper make a case for himself for NL ROTY? We were on a five game skid where our offense struggled and he snapped us out of it with a two HR game (passing Mantle's HR total as a 19yo) and then homered the next game as well. He also went 2/4 with a BB, 1 R and 2 RBI tonight.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Team success is ALWAYS factored into the winners of these awards. Go back in time and show me the last time a player won an MVP or something in any sport and was on a bad team. Have fun searching all night and not finding anything...besides...maybe...uhhh...Brandon Webb on the Diamondbacks in 2006, which was like the shittiest year of National League pitching ever? Yeah, I got nothing.

One on one scenarios are definitely scale-tippers. If the last game of the season is Felix Hernandez versus Justin Verlander and they're in a very tight race, I guarantee the pitcher that wins in that game is the pitcher that gets the AL Cy Young. Frazier crushed his only opposition, thus tipping the scales slightly in his favor even more.
you're essentially arguing, they've been wrong in the past. let them continue to be wrong.

Gio gets his first CG SO and is still tied for the most wins in the majors. Nats have blasted out of whatever slump they were in.

Can Harper make a case for himself for NL ROTY? We were on a five game skid where our offense struggled and he snapped us out of it with a two HR game (passing Mantle's HR total as a 19yo) and then homered the next game as well. He also went 2/4 with a BB, 1 R and 2 RBI tonight.
Bryce Harper's stats for the season:
.254, 71 runs, 15 HR, 45 RBI, 13 SB

Todd Frazier's stats for the season:
.293, 49 runs, 18 HR, 62 RBI, 3 SB

Wade Miley's stats for the season:
14-9, 114 K's, 2.85 ERA, 1.10 WHIP

So to answer your question, no, Harper can not make ANY case whatsoever for NL RotY. It's between Frazier and Miley and that's it.

I didn't mean, "If the season ended today could you make an argument for giving it to Bryce." I meant, "Does he have it in him to go on a tear to end the season."

He's had four multi-hit games in a row. Seems to be coming out of the slump he's been in since the ASG.

Harper will definitely be provoked more, I know that much. Without Strasburg, the Nationals likely will give up more runs (although they have a splendid starting pitcher rotation). I expect little change with Harper's performance. He probably will not get RotY, but he still displayed a season which showed that D.C. is going uphill for the future in baseball.

Luis Cruz of the Dodgers needs some attention, batting .236 as a replacement at the beginning of August and has batted .400 ish since then bringing his total over .310 as the everyday 3B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)