Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

I'm rooting for the Giants because they seem to be a complete team versus the Tigers who seem to basically be Verlander plus big bats.

The Giants defense has been incredible. Their fielders are grown ass men. That save Posey made on the wild pitch in the eighth was ridiculous.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something that I did not think I would say in a sports-related thread: I agree with Byrne. Slow your role with the Nets, bro.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Of course they are, I used to be a Knick fan, but now my hometown has a basketball team, so lemme get on this bandwagon BEFORE they get good

Also, screw the damn Heat, we'll do what the Mavs did and find a way to beat them!

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
i don't know what's funnier: the Tigers choking in the WS again...or Brian Sabean winning 2 WS in 3 years. i've hated on that guy a lot with my brother but he must do something right (just not contracts to older veterans).

the Giants are a curious case study for building a team. they lack star power outside of Posey and Cain (and maybe Sandoval). but they have a roster that is well rounded (the no-hit guys like Blanco and Crawford play such good defense it makes up value) and a manager who knows how to use relievers (imperative in the playoffs).

good for them. 2 WS in 3 years...that is kind of hard to believe, given the players on the Giants roster.

Awards, wooooo

American League
C: Matt Wieters, BAL (2nd award)
1B: Mark Teixeira, NYY (5)
2B: Robinson Cano, NYY (2)
3B: Adrian Beltre, TEX (4)
SS: J.J. Hardy, BAL (1)
LF: Alex Gordon, KC (2)
CF: Adam Jones, BAL (2)
RF: Josh Reddick, OAK (1)
P: Tie: Jeremy Hellickson, TB (1); Jake Peavy, CWS (1)

National League
C: Yadier Molina, STL (5)
1B: Adam LaRoche, WAS (1)
2B: Darwin Barney, CHC (1)
3B: Chase Headley, SD (1)
SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI (4)
LF: Carlos Gonzalez, COL (2)
CF: Andrew McCutchen, PIT (1)
RF: Jason Heyward, ATL (1)
P: Mark Buehrle, MIA (4)

Adam Jones over both Trout and Jackson? Brendan Ryan not winning every GG as a shortstop ever? CarGo? As always, hitting reputation and some general shenanigans (%fielding percentage). This is the most laughable of all the awards.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Awards, wooooo

American League
C: Matt Wieters, BAL (2nd award)
1B: Mark Teixeira, NYY (5)
2B: Robinson Cano, NYY (2)
3B: Adrian Beltre, TEX (4)
SS: J.J. Hardy, BAL (1)
LF: Alex Gordon, KC (2)
CF: Adam Jones, BAL (2)
RF: Josh Reddick, OAK (1)
P: Tie: Jeremy Hellickson, TB (1); Jake Peavy, CWS (1)

National League
C: Yadier Molina, STL (5)
1B: Adam LaRoche, WAS (1)
2B: Darwin Barney, CHC (1)
3B: Chase Headley, SD (1)
SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI (4)
LF: Carlos Gonzalez, COL (2)
CF: Andrew McCutchen, PIT (1)
RF: Jason Heyward, ATL (1)
P: Mark Buehrle, MIA (4)

Adam Jones over both Trout and Jackson? Brendan Ryan not winning every GG as a shortstop ever? CarGo? As always, hitting reputation and some general shenanigans (%fielding percentage). This is the most laughable of all the awards.
i think GGs are voted on by managers and coaches, no? that might explain the Trout snub...old school guys are loathe to give rookies any credit whatsoever. rookies have to "earn" it through years of service (especially ones who are featured everywhere, like Trout).

although based solely on passed voting habits, i'm surprised David Wright didn't win the GG at 3b. much better defensively than Headley and just about the same offensively. whatever; these are joke awards and the players know it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)