Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
You guys are acting like team match-ups don't matter. "If you're a good player, you'll just play around it!". That's not always possible. Consider my team from JAA. Most of the teams I came up against had a 0% chance of beating me (my battles were over in 3-5 turns) because of the team match up. You can't play around "impossible".
So what do you think of making multiple teams? Should someone make and play with a single team or make multiple teams, learn about the opponent, and play with the risk of the opponent also changing teams?

Changing your team is as much defensive as offensive, I'd think. Maybe not even make multiple teams as much as make Pokémon who can swap out with others currently in your party.

How do you even have the time to make more than one team? I'd do it if I had the luxury of being able to but I'll barely be able to finish mine, especially if I have to get a certain pokemon by myself...

@americandream = Well, it all comes down to time management and a little bit of luck. I personally have 5 totally different and ready teams that I could use right now if the tournament was in an hour, plus a sixth and seventh are on the way. I have been playing for almost a year exculsively in Showdown rules, so that gives me an advantage. :P If the RNG cooperated with you or not for D/P exclusive pokes, or legendaries, and that sort of thing can really determine how many teams you can get off in a short period of time.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey tournaments in the US, Japan, and Europe!! I guess Canada misses out again, most likely.

How often on average does it take to soft-reset for a "decent" Zapdos? I'm currently trying to get a decent one.

I have a bit of an odd question, How come Tyranitar is banned? It's one of my favorite pokemon and I'm wondering why it's banned but Abomnasnow and Hippowdon aren't.

On aother note, I can't wait for platinum! I'm gonna start breeding again :)

I have a bit of an odd question, How come Tyranitar is banned? It's one of my favorite pokemon and I'm wondering why it's banned but Abomnasnow and Hippowdon aren't.

Tyranitar is banned because it evolves after level 50.
pokemon above level 50 can not be used.

you can only use Pokemon at or below lvl 50 Pupitar evolves into Tyranitar at lvl 55 therefor you can't have a lvl 50 T-tar.

Hey guys, is there there, actually, level 50 warp or my Pkmn on level 50 must be?
(sorry for my bad english..)

It will not be automatic, so you'll have to level them yourself to level 50 (or any other level at all for that matter; you'll just be disqualified if you compete with pokemon over level 50).

How often on average does it take to soft-reset for a "decent" Zapdos? I'm currently trying to get a decent one.
Hey im in the same spot as you. I got a couple of decent zapdoses but the HP was horrid on all of them. Just keep trying and it will come :)

Ok so here's a quick question that's giving me some trouble. I'm in the process of breeding a Smeargle. This has me thinking of whether to go with Dark Void or Spore. In a way its the accuracy vs. power argument, while 80% accuracy is pretty solid I'm leaning towards Spore since hitting both opponents doesnt help me all that much where as a miss could mean a loss. Maybe there's some obvious advantages to Dark Void that I'm missing but if not I'll go with Spore. Well I might as well post my team, here's the skeleton as I haven't really worked out the details.

Smeargle @ Salac berry
-Spore
-Endure
-Extremespeed
-Endeavor

Snorlax @ Stirrus Berry
-Belly Drum
-Self Destruct
-Return
-Fire Punch

Metagross @ ?
-Bullet Punch
-Psych Up
-Thunder Punch/Hammer Arm/???
-Explosion

Jynx @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Ice Beam
-Lovely Kiss
-Psychic/Protect

OR

Weavile @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch/Ice Shard
-Brick Break/Protect

Obviously I haven't worked out any EV's or anything yet. Some advice on that and moves would be nice as well as the Jynx vs. Weavile. The way I see it is Weavile is stronger and faster but Jynx has Lovely Kiss and would give my team a Special Attacker.

That's really up to you. I personally do DV over Spore, but when that DV misses a crucial hit... Same thing with Spore.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
That's really up to you. I personally do DV over Spore, but when that DV misses a crucial hit... Same thing with Spore.
I think you meant that diffenrently, Dark Void hits both but has a chance to miss while Spore hits 1 and has a 100% chance of hitting.

Ok so here's a quick question that's giving me some trouble. I'm in the process of breeding a Smeargle. This has me thinking of whether to go with Dark Void or Spore. In a way its the accuracy vs. power argument, while 80% accuracy is pretty solid I'm leaning towards Spore since hitting both opponents doesnt help me all that much where as a miss could mean a loss. Maybe there's some obvious advantages to Dark Void that I'm missing but if not I'll go with Spore. Well I might as well post my team, here's the skeleton as I haven't really worked out the details.

Smeargle @ Salac berry
-Spore
-Endure
-Extremespeed
-Batton pass

Snorlax @ Stirrus Berry
-Belly Drum
-Self Destruct
-Return
-Fire Punch

Metagross @ Lumberry
-Bullet Punch
-Psych Up
-Protect
-Explosion

Jynx @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Ice Beam
-Lovely Kiss
-Psychic

OR

Weavile @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Night Slash
-Ice Shard
-Protect

Obviously I haven't worked out any EV's or anything yet. Some advice on that and moves would be nice as well as the Jynx vs. Weavile. The way I see it is Weavile is stronger and faster but Jynx has Lovely Kiss and would give my team a Special Attacker.
well i bolded what i saw would be good changes but really its up to how your testing goes.

Hello, this is my first post on Smogon and on this topic. I've been lurking this topic for quite awhile, but I just joined recently

Smeargle @ Salac berry
-Spore
-Endure
-Extremespeed
-Endeavor

Snorlax @ Stirrus Berry
-Belly Drum
-Self Destruct
-Return
-Fire Punch

Metagross @ ?
-Bullet Punch
-Psych Up
-Thunder Punch/Hammer Arm/???
-Explosion

Jynx @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Ice Beam
-Lovely Kiss
-Psychic/Protect

OR

Weavile @ Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch/Ice Shard
-Brick Break/Protect

I would suggest that you use Gengar with Explosion over Snorlax as it is immune to fake out and outspeeds most threats. Here's my suggested Gengar:

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Mild 252 Sp Atk, the rest in speed and attack
-Explosion
-Shadow Ball
-Trick
-Thunderbolt

Trick is in case you're against Sandstorm/Hail and you have to sacrifice Smeargle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)