Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
It has never made sense to me why you can't knock out a Pokemon before catching it. Surely it's easiest to catch when it has no health and literally cannot fight back. I understand from their point of view it would make the game a lot easier, but if they're doing this for legendary Pokemon, why not for everything else?
From a gameplay perspective, it makes catching things far more difficult and thus interesting.

From a lore perspective, we can see from what happens when you KO a legendary Pokemon that after they're beaten they flee. Presumably the same thing happens for standard wilds - they take enough damage that they decide to cut and run instead of sticking around to fight.

209 Special Attack on a Pikachu at Lvl 51. Freaking Modest 31 IV Chandelure with max investment at level 50 only has 7 more points than that.

Finally...after all these of playing these games and always having to evolve my in game Pikachu to keep them viable since I couldn't find a Light Ball during the adventure, I'll finally get to experience the feeling Ash gets when his Pikachu does stuff like this:

WHO NEEDS A LIGHT BALL NOW!?! TIME TO SHOW KANTO WHY THIS LITTLE GUY IS THE MASCOT.

Seriously though this alone has me so much more pumped! I always build my in game squad with a Fire, Electric, Water, Grass core and now I'll be able to have the face of Pokemon itself be the cornerstone of it without having to evolve it! And hmm getting Double Kick to make mopping Brock easier is just icing the cake! (Reminds me of when FRLG gave Charmander Metal Claw to improve your chances.)

I also find it cool that you still get to battle legendaries. Lack of items and abilities is a bummer but this is Gen 1 so it won't be as glaring. I can't wait to see more of these games! Been a while since Kanto had me so excited.

I never had these issues with Catching Pokemon as most people seem to (except with Legendaries, but those are kind of different), but I do think that having to knock out a Pokemon before given the chance to catch it or not would be interesting. Just as long as a Pokeballs would then act like Heal Balls (which are otherwise worthless).

Re: New Stat System?

This is a lot of effort to mix up the stat system for a game that's supposedly not going to take over the franchise later. There haven't been any changes to the current stat system since Gen 3, except for Gen 5 letting you gain EVs after Level 100 and Gen 6 making the EV Cap 252 instead of 255; why change it for a game that's also supposedly not for the people who take perfect care of their party's EVs? It's like Game Freak is marketing this game for the casuals, and yet a number of changes to the mechanics are things that would "only affect the competitive players".

Regardless, the +1 on the level up screen to me looks like a boost to the raw stat itself, and nothing to do with EVs. Why would that Bulbasaur have not went up to 32 HP if that really was an extra point on the Level Up? My best guess is that Candy is a simple +Whatever to the raw stat (since there are apparently different sizes of Candy, could be +1, +3 and +5, for example) and that the level up scene (for whatever reason) shows you how much your Candy is boosting your stats by.

Also something interesting: the levels of the party being shown are kind of on target for a real playthrough of RGBY, and even FRLG. Blue's team in both Yellow and FRLG had an average of Level 60, whereas this player's team's average is Level 59. Could the amount of EXP gained really have been jacked up (I have heard about catching Pokemon yielding more EXP than actual battles)? Could the EXP Share being on all the time really have done this (then again, my XY party really was at Level 80 on average by the Elite Four on the first playthrough, and I swear that was without grinding, but having the EXP Share on all the time because I didn't know better)? Or could these screens be of the late game, if not the post game that probably doesn't exist? Which would be a really weird time to show off a feature you're trying to sell your game with, and one that'll apparently be present throughout the entire adventure. Or I guess the levels could have been kept the same, just that there's no walking into a Gym that's like 30 Levels above you because Kanto's no longer your oyster once you get the Cut HM (or whatever move with a stupid name replaces it), but still.

Last edited:
A new Pikachu-exclusive flying type move called Floaty Fall (barf) has been revealed. Apparently allows a level 20 Pikachu to OHKO a level 3 Metapod, because that's totally legal.

The move in Japanese is called ふわふわフォール. The Japanese trailer shows a costumed Pikachu using it.

There's also an image floating around that is allegedly a new Pokemon (image via Serebii):

Serebii Update: The new Pokémon for Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee has potentially leaked in the network traffic for Pokémon GO.

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
A new Pikachu-exclusive flying type move called Floaty Fall (barf) has been revealed. Apparently allows a level 20 Pikachu to OHKO a level 3 Metapod, because that's totally legal.

The move in Japanese is called ふわふわフォール. The Japanese trailer shows a costumed Pikachu using it.

There's also an image floating around that is allegedly a new Pokemon (image via Serebii):

It's not like it's rare to find a Metapod at such a low level in the wild, was possible in SM and prob other games as well.

I've heard people try to excuse that the new mon was just a placeholder for Kecleon, but I find it unrealistic for them to create a whole new model just to act as a placeholder. To quote someone who nailed the look of this lazy design:
Ditto fucked a Klingklang around Unown

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm... how close is the body to Ditto's and the eye to Unown's eye? The washer screw is obviously unique though I imagine wouldn't take much time to make. If all they did was take Ditto's body, put a washer screw on it's head, and placed an Unown eye in the middle of it they could have very well created their own "placeholder" Pokemon so they don't have their own Missingno issues. Of course, that does still mean it's a new Pokemon and players would want to use it. Maybe they could get away saying this is the redesign for that scrapped Ditto evolution (Animon), the Steel-type you get by evolving it by having Ditto hold a Metal Coat.

That design certainly looks strange at first sight, but I'm going to hold on my opinion until we get a confirmation (it's so simple looking it feels like a placeholder, but it can still be official), as well as the possibility to see it in movement (a lot of the newer Pokemon look better when moving than staying still in their official artwork).

That design certainly looks strange at first sight, but I'm going to hold on my opinion until we get a confirmation (it's so simple looking it feels like a placeholder, but it can still be official), as well as the possibility to see it in movement (a lot of the newer Pokemon look better when moving than staying still in their official artwork).
I personally like the theory it's a placeholder model.
Aside from looking... particularly ugly and unattractive, it's basically a "ditto" jelly with a mechanical piece and an eye on top of it, looks like a placeholder model to me.

Now, obviously could be a real Poke, and I wouldn't even care, but the placeholder theory seems the most likely to me.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
So for the new Pokemon, is it supposed to have white inside of its head/eye or is the transparent bit accurate? If so then it definitely doesn't look like Unown and looks vaguely less like some kind of iOS desktop icon.

Regarding the new little guy, he’s got an ID number of 891... but I can’t think of anyway to math out how there would be 890 IDs used prior to it, even accounting for differen unowns and stuff. We could see about 83 other new Pokemon in gen 8... unless this is a placeholder, used elsewhere (arcade game? But then why is it with the Pokemon?), or isn’t a mythic.

We could see about 83 other new Pokemon in gen 8... unless this is a placeholder, used elsewhere (arcade game? But then why is it with the Pokemon?), or isn’t a mythic.
It doesn't really need to be a Mythical honestly. Could be a cover lege or plot important pokemon (i mean, assuming the model is a placeholder), iirc Type Null, Tapus, Latis, and several more plot-relevant legendaryes or simil-legendaryes are in the middle of the Pokedex.

Personally back when they said that a "special new pokemon" would be in PLGO, the first thought I had would be it being one of the starters. I know it's likely unrealistic, but I can definitely see the "special pokemon" not being a Mythical. A "Ash Greninja" or "Lycanroc Dusk" option would also be possible, as both SM and USUM had those "special" Pokemon that are not Mythical nor Legendary, and in the case of Lycanroc, are even breedable, but remain event only.

It doesn't really need to be a Mythical honestly. Could be a cover lege or plot important pokemon (i mean, assuming the model is a placeholder), iirc Type Null, Tapus, Latis, and several more plot-relevant legendaryes or simil-legendaryes are in the middle of the Pokedex.

Personally back when they said that a "special new pokemon" would be in PLGO, the first thought I had would be it being one of the starters. I know it's likely unrealistic, but I can definitely see the "special pokemon" not being a Mythical. A "Ash Greninja" or "Lycanroc Dusk" option would also be possible, as both SM and USUM had those "special" Pokemon that are not Mythical nor Legendary, and in the case of Lycanroc, are even breedable, but remain event only.
It’s very likely. This is speculation on my part that i would be glad if it’s wrong and is just done based on the info we have currently available... which isn’t much and assumes it’s a mythic rather than in the middle.

Its a Pokemon never seen before and mythicals are always put at the end (or the beginning, but that would be a couple of numbers lower) of a dex

Its a Pokemon never seen before and mythicals are always put at the end (or the beginning, but that would be a couple of numbers lower) of a dex
The misconception is that it doesn't need to be a gen 7 mythical nor a gen 8 mythical.

It could easily be in the middle of the Pokedex. It could be a perfectly normal mon present in the middle of the gen 8 Pokedex.

I specifically referred to things like Dusk Lycanroc, which are indeed in the middle of the Pokedex, and are event only, yet are not Mythical at all.

But Dusk Lycanroc is still Lycanroc, not a new Mon
A new Mon exclusive to events is a mythical, and they wouldnt put it in the middle of the dex to not give players the impression that they are supposed to fill the hole right in the middle

But Dusk Lycanroc is still Lycanroc, not a new Mon
A new Mon exclusive to events is a mythical, and they wouldnt put it in the middle of the dex to not give players the impression that they are supposed to fill the hole right in the middle
IIRC Zoroark was introduced as an event-exclusive middle-of-the-dex Mon

Again, this whole "it's a mythical" is an assumption based on a statement that was *never* made.

The only statement about the famous "808th" is that it's a new Pokemon and that it'll be a "special gift" of sort from PLGO. It wasn't even said it's number 808 on the Pokedex!

Absolutely nothing else was said or known. It could very well be the next Pikaclone or a new Eevolution, could be a Mythical, could be a story legendary, could be an anime-based special Pokemon, could be a special variant of a Pokemon, or literally anything.

891 could not even be it's actual number, and the model could very well be (and I think it is) a placeholder for anything.

We have absolutely no data about the "808th" aside from a spoofed model, the name Kecleon, and the number 891.

Im not too sure about it being a placeholder, it has a shiny model present too which points to it being a real mon

It looks very cute and similar to ditto, could it be another carbink/diancie situation?

Anyways it looks very gen one-ish in its simple design and fits aesthetic of lets go so i think its real

76541234.gif
436687657.gif

987651234.gif

Well I am surprised, not only on the fact a new mon probably got leaked veeeery early but how much did Niantic might had dropped the ball this time, like yeah they aren't uncommon to that but to drop one of the possible reasons anyone might be interested on LGPE is a new low or should I say a new high. Congrats Niantic for both the Leak and the goof up, now we know how the new mon might look.

Truth to be told now than I see it in motion its kinda growing on me, I think its kinda cute

Last edited:
Well, I mean, seeing it in motion actually makes him look cute.
I am still confident it is *not* a mythical but a mon that's somewhat relevant to either gen 8 plot or the anime.

But that well, time will tell.

This leak though should really put Niantic in trouble imo, GameFreaks and/or TPCI will not be happy of the big surprise of PLGO being soft-revealed 2 months earlier this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)