Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The castle to the east has three small, blue towers; four small, red towers; and one big red tower. Looks tailored for (respectively): two utility buildings and a gateway, the Elite Four, and the Champion, in a layout identical to that of Unova's Elite Four castle. However, we shouldn't treat it as confirmed yet.

While I can see your point, usually you can use logic to determine what is real and not, or just not believe anything 100% until gamefreak confirms it.

Hopefully we got some new info soon. I fear we might have to wait a long time again for new info, like we had to wait after mewtwos forme was unvieled
I do that and many do, but, as I've seen on the last thread, it causes problems. We just don't want things that are opinions to be stated as if they are fact, otherwise people DO think GF has confirmed something.

Some of the supposed leaks are shown here. Some of them were already discussed, except the following:
  • Pancham evolves into Pangoro in the early level 30s. In order to evolve Pancham into Pangoro, you need to have one other Dark-type Pokemon in your party. Pangoro’s type is Fighting/Dark.
  • A Pokemon named Inkay evolves into Malimar. To evolve it, you have to hold your 3DS upside-down when it levels up (the 3DS has an accelerometer and gyroscope, so it can detect that). Malimar’s type is Dark/Psychic.
  • Like in B/W you have two rivals – one is friendly and the other is competitive. Your rival that is more friendly gives you his/her fully evolved starter Pokemon after you beat the game.
  • A new move, Belch, is a Poison-type attack that has a base power of 120. The user must consume a held Berry to perform it.
  • Draining Kiss is a Fairy-type attack that heals the user for the same amount of damage performed. It has a base power of 60.
  • If the previously revealed forme of Mewtwo can be said to look roughly similar to Mewtwo’s original design, the second supposed form of Mewtwo can be said to look roughly/vaguely similar to Mew‘s design.

• A Pokemon named Inkay evolves into Malimar. To evolve it, you have to hold your 3DS upside-down when it levels up (the 3DS has an accelerometer and gyroscope, so it can detect that). Malimar’s type is Dark/Psychic.
This one looks like a joke tbh. I can't see myself shaking a 3DS saying "come on evolve !!".
How would it be done in the anime ? The trainer holds his pokemon upside down ? O_o

And Nintendo gets sued for millions after thousands of kids are crushed under their TVs trying to evolve Inkay on the anime? Personally I think it sounds stupid and gimmicky. Unfortuantely, it sounds like just right kind of stupid to be something GF would do.

I am assuming the mods are allowing a little more leniency with those particular rumors given that the source got some names right in the past.

Someone had mentioned that Malimar could come from "Malicious Calamari" and Inkay was obviously a reference to the "ink" creatures like Octopi can produce. But, a little later it occurred to me that the full wordplay is probably based on Stingray. So it's:
Inkay (Stingray) -> Malimar (Squid)

The weird little bits of this piece of info from pokebeach started to make sense to me after this connection.

Take a look at a stingray here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...na_NOAA.jpg/800px-Dasyatis_americana_NOAA.jpg

And here is a photo of a squid: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Loligo_vulgaris.jpg/800px-Loligo_vulgaris.jpg

The head of the stingray has a very similar shape to the mantle of a squid. If you imagine a stingray turning into a squid, the squid's head would grow where the stingrays' tail is and it would continue to move in the same way (stingray's head/squid's mantle first). So the idea of flipping the 3DS and having Inkay evolve with the squid's head popping out of the ray's behind (as if by gravity) doesn't seem quite so strange anymore...lol

I won't start a debate on the validity rumours since that's a dead-end until GF reveals more. BUT, if someone made this up they really thought through it and came up with something crazy and random enough that it could be GF's idea while resisting the urge to offer an explanation of why it's clever.

I'm assuming Malimar will have two heads with different temperament, like Girafarig, and the Psychic/Dark typing plays on that. I always thought that if there would be a Girafarig evo it should be Psychic/Dark.The evolution's name is also dangerously close to being a palindrome like Girafarig. In fact, since spelling in the leaks in unreliable (Pancham/Panchum) it could very well be Malamar which is even closer.

It's interesting to see them take more inspiriation from sea-dwelling creatures without making them Water-type. There is so much interesting life in the oceans yet we already have so many Water-type pokemon. I think it's a good move.

Psychic/Dark has only one weakness, Bug, even assuming the information about the new type is true. Unfortunately, it's a quad weakness and there are few resistances besides the Psychic immunity. The extent of its usefulness will come down to stats, ability and movepool. As shown by Spiritomb, Drapion and Skuntank, Dark types without a Fighting weakness can find niches as a specially-defensive responses to Ghost or Psychic offense and as Pursuit-trappers. But this new Pokemon will be in absolute terror of a surprise Signal Beam or U-turn.

[*]Draining Kiss is a Fairy-type attack that heals the user for the same amount of damage performed. It has a base power of 60.
I call bad here. There's a reason healing attacks only heal half of the damage dealt - so that you don't have to sit there in 1 on 1 battles doing neutral damage to each other for 40 or so turns before anything sticks.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
If I got my sources correctly...
sigh...
I heard that the second batch of info delivered to Pokebeach was fake.

The real one has cut contacts and the current one is an imposer...
from what I gather.

Wouldn't they need the same attack and defense, start with the same HP, and avoid crits or misses that would favor either side? I doubt the stalemate would continue for very long in real battle conditions.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
  • Pancham evolves into Pangoro in the early level 30s. In order to evolve Pancham into Pangoro, you need to have one other Dark-type Pokemon in your party.
This irks me a little. To date, no Pokémon has had two evolution criteria like that. Yes, "Trade while holding X" might qualify, but evolution at a level given a Dark type in the party? It should be one or the other, not both. Dark types are mid-to-late-game Pokémon in-game already. There shouldn't have to be both a level requirement AND a Dark type requirement. It just sounds too confusing to be plausible.

The opposite goes for Inkay/Malimar. If all you have to do to evolve it, no matter what level it is, is holding the 3DS upside down when evolving it... It doesn't exactly require a lot of effort, does it? It doesn't involve talking to people, training it beyond a certain treshold, teaching it a specific move, finding a rare item or getting to a specific area. Just get the sucker, level it up a single level and flip the 3DS. No effort required whatsoever. There would be no incentive towards using Inkay at all because its evolution would be so readily available, no matter how and when you get it. It just sounds too simple to be true.

• Pancham evolves into Pangoro in the early level 30s. In order to evolve Pancham into Pangoro, you need to have one other Dark-type Pokemon in your party. Pangoro’s type is Fighting/Dark.
This irks me a little. To date, no Pokémon has had two evolution criteria like that.
Mantyke is upset your forgot about him

The opposite goes for Inkay/Malimar. If all you have to do to evolve it, no matter what level it is, is holding the 3DS upside down when evolving it... It doesn't exactly require a lot of effort, does it? It doesn't involve talking to people, training it beyond a certain treshold, teaching it a specific move, finding a rare item or getting to a specific area. Just get the sucker, level it up a single level and flip the 3DS. No effort required whatsoever. There would be no incentive towards using Inkay at all because its evolution would be so readily available, no matter how and when you get it. It just sounds too simple to be true.
It is NO different than using a Evolution Stone on a lower leveled Eevee or something...for example.
Just caught a level 23 Growlithe, uses Fire Stone and evolves it into Arcanine.
Just caught a level 23 Inkay, flips 3DS upside down and evolves it into Malimar.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
[/LIST]
This irks me a little. To date, no Pokémon has had two evolution criteria like that. Yes, "Trade while holding X" might qualify, but evolution at a level given a Dark type in the party? It should be one or the other, not both. Dark types are mid-to-late-game Pokémon in-game already. There shouldn't have to be both a level requirement AND a Dark type requirement. It just sounds too confusing to be plausible.

I beg to difer but double criteria for evolving has existed since gen2 with Tyrogue (level 20 + stat distribution) and also nincada to a certain degree (if we count shedinja as an evolution).

This irks me a little. To date, no Pokémon has had two evolution criteria like that.
Mantyke is upset your forgot about him
I never knew that happened. But I think he's saying how there's TWO criteria, as in both at X level AND with something in the party.

Tbh, until all of this stuff is put on serebii, I do not trust it. This whole Fairy type sounds like crap but I mean its Gamefreak, anything can happen I guess.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Yeah, but Mantyke will evolve at ANY level as soon as you've got that Remoraid. Adding a level requirement too would just get too complicated, without really adding anything.

It is NO different than using a Evolution Stone on a lower leveled Eevee or something...for example.
Just caught a level 23 Growlithe, uses Fire Stone and evolves it into Arcanine.
Just caught a level 23 Inkay, flips 3DS upside down and evolves it into Malimar.
I beg to differ. At least you'll have to acquire an item to evolve Growlithe. Until you find a Fire Stone, you'll have to stick to Growlithe. It requires a certain level of preparation, aside from simply knowing how to evolve it. Of course, you may already have got a Fire Stone when you first get to Growlithe, but what if you want a Flareon or a Ninetales instead? You have to use a consumable, relatively rare item to evolve Growlithe. There is effort involved. As for turning the 3DS upside down... as long as you know the secret, it's simply a completely drawback-free evolution method that can be used at "any" time, anywhere, effortlessly.

I think trade evolutions (like Graveler/Boldore) fall into the category of "very simple method" that involves a secret. It's similar with Leafeon or Glaceon. You just have to evolve them at a certain place. Catch an eevee, fly there, and give them a Rare Candy and you're done.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^The first method would still require you to connect to a friend's system, while the second would require you to have access to the evolution area. There are still requirements to be met, demanding you to either have progressed to a certain point in the game, or have a friend around, or both.

I'll agree that getting Leafeon requires that you have progressed to a certain place in the game. But as soon as you catch a Graveler you can have a Golem...you don't even have to level it up! Just employ a feature of the system: the ability to link. Anyway, even if the leak is true it does not mean that the info is complete. Inkay could still need to have learned a move or be holding an item etc.

^The first method would still require you to connect to a friend's system, while the second would require you to have access to the evolution area. There are still requirements to be met, demanding you to either have progressed to a certain point in the game, or have a friend around, or both.
Yes, but it would most likely not learn any new moves after that, as do most stone/trade based evolutions, so you may not WANT to evolve it right away.

Also, I think we're supposed to talk more on confirmed facts, and I think the admins wanted to be the ones to allow rumors if they think they're worthwhile. While we haven't been corrected, I don't recall this being mentioned by an admin so I think we should go back from this to discussing more solid information. There's still so much yet to be discussed on the new guys, we could talk about that.

Yes, but it would most likely not learn any new moves after that, as do most stone/trade based evolutions, so you may not WANT to evolve it right away.
But trade evolutions have the same moveset as their previous forms (well, with a few item-trade exceptions, but they all have proper movesets). Heck, they don't even have a level delay for moves like level evolves do.

So I'm curious about what's gonna happen at stonehenge. Clefairy swarm? Elgyem? Something completely unrelated? It interests me.

I'm more concerned about what the eventual legend Z is going to be...and yes I remember that the 4chan source was fake but still. Could we possibly get some freaky Kraken Pokemon? Or possibly it'll just be the supposed Poison/Dragon Pokemon that is suppose to be under Asgard or whatever.
I just hope it is Poison...we REALLY need more Poison legendaries...Poisonceus is good and all, but LOOK AT ALL THE DRAGONS IN UBERS, we need some diversity.

That brings me to another topic...since Fairy at this point is probably legit...what do you think is going to happen to the tiers? Is Fairy going to be the new Dragon (most overused type) or is it going to just be in the middle like Psychic or
Electric?
Personally if the types and the moves get spread out correctly, I think we will have the best metagame to date!

Also, I think we're supposed to talk more on confirmed facts, and I think the admins wanted to be the ones to allow rumors if they think they're worthwhile. While we haven't been corrected, I don't recall this being mentioned by an admin so I think we should go back from this to discussing more solid information. There's still so much yet to be discussed on the new guys, we could talk about that.
You can mini-mod for them while they're not around.

Anyway, about Lumoise being the "hub" of Kalos, that kind of reminds me of BW(2)s "choose your own story" Elite 4. I don't think it will happen on a game-wide scale, but it would be neat if it did.

I'm more concerned about what the eventual legend Z is going to be...and yes I remember that the 4chan source was fake but still. Could we possibly get some freaky Kraken Pokemon? Or possibly it'll just be the supposed Poison/Dragon Pokemon that is suppose to be under Asgard or whatever.
I just hope it is Poison...we REALLY need more Poison legendaries...Poisonceus is good and all, but LOOK AT ALL THE DRAGONS IN UBERS, we need some diversity.
!
Frankly I doubt a Poison legendary would even need to be banned to Ubers at this point. In an age where a crap ton of Pokemon that are technically "legendaries" don't even make it to ubers, it would have to have the most absurd stats ever to be banned unless something happened this gen to not make Poison types as terrible as they have been.

You can mini-mod for them while they're not around.

Anyway, about Lumoise being the "hub" of Kalos, that kind of reminds me of BW(2)s "choose your own story" Elite 4. I don't think it will happen on a game-wide scale, but it would be neat if it did.
Lies, they hate that.

When it comes to Belch, the competitive viability looks kind of hit-and-miss, which is what convinces me that it's a real move. It would work at its best if the user also has Recycle, but then it becomes the awkward-turtle version of Solarbeam that requires two PP to launch, assuming the berry isn't something you'regoing to lose before you can even launch Belch. If Poison as a type becomes stronger because of this, then all the better. If it's fake, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)