Pokemon Black and White (SPECULATIONS ALLOWED HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been waiting for about 8 years for the protagonist to start having a personality. It would be interesting if we could actually see our main characters...I don't know...talk?

Even if it was completely scripted the whole way through..What would be even better, though, is if there were some morality system where your character would say different things (or get different options) based on your actions. For example, if you do lots of side quests to help people, you might have a script where your character is really enthusiastic about doing the right thing. On the other hand, if you don't treat your Pokemon well (letting them get KOd and such) your character might be kind of cold and pessimistic.

I don't know...I'm just getting sick of the no-personality thing, even if the point of it is to let them be an "everyman" that anyone playing the game can relate to.
I'd much rather have no personality than some pseudo morality system that's shoe horned in. Every single game that's implemented a morality system thus far operates in extremes: you either have puppy-kicking evil, help-old-people-cross-streets-good, or lukewarm neutral. There's nothing in between, and quite frankly, the games that have morality systems were less enjoyable because of it.

I hope they make a new game, not like voltorb or the slots, those are boring.. and I hate how the main character has no personality too, at least make him choose? Jeez -__-''

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
WE are the main character. the best gamefreak could do is allow us to pick what he will say, but im sorry. he wont have a personality(i am pretty sure of it).
This is true. The reason the main character has no personality, and doesn't speak, is because in games like this, the designers want each player to be able to envision themselves as the hero. If the character spoke or had personality, it wouldn't fit some people and would break the idea that YOU are the main character.

Also, in case you were wondering: this is also the reason why Link has never spoken, and never will, in any Zelda game.

I completely disagree. Although I'm sad that they took out the ability to just buy coins (playing for those TMs is just not worth it), the Voltorb game is much better than any slot game or any of the previous games they used to have at the game corner. So much more easier to win consistently as well.

When I first got to goldenrod and found the game, I was hooked. Played it for like 2 hours straight. I really hope if they do have a game corner in B/W that they keep the game, it was well made (but bring back the ability to buy coins!).
I'm surprised. I agree that consistent winning is a nice bonus, but I found the game hideously slow and annoying. I was able to win consistently at the slots (luck wasn't much of a factor for me) and rack up coins faster than with Voltorb flip. I'd like a replacement...

...but I have a friend who loves Voltorb flip, and if you enjoy it too, then all the more power to you! Because odds are, GF isn't going to bring back the slots in the English release due to certain complaints about gambling. What GF could do is pull a R/S/E: have multiple games to play in the game corner; imagine that!

I agree that there should be a way to purchase coins, especially since I have more money than I can use and coins take a long time to earn. And GF still needs to let Voltorb do something other than troll for a change!

@Norid, I disagree. I find that a morality or choice-system, even if shallow, always made me feel like I was more a "part" of the game - that I was actually the main character, making decisions and choosing my path. Those multiple outcomes also add replay value.

But what would be the point in a Pokemon game.

How often do you make a choice, really? And of the choices give, why ever say no.

They would never let you join the bad guys because they are nutso and evil and often detrimental to everything around them including themselves.
They wouldn't let you be a dick to your friends because friendship is the big deal here.
Why would you ever say no to good rewards?
You're never really given a chance to not fight the evil team, I guess, but again why wouldn't you?

and so on and so forth

tl;dr every choice is stacked in your favor, being a goody-two-shoes is awesome and comes with ~fabulous rewards~

I'd much rather have no personality than some pseudo morality system that's shoe horned in. Every single game that's implemented a morality system thus far operates in extremes: you either have puppy-kicking evil, help-old-people-cross-streets-good, or lukewarm neutral. There's nothing in between, and quite frankly, the games that have morality systems were less enjoyable because of it.
Have you played Mass Effect 1 or 2? Both of those games' morality systems were excellent, imo.

Ahhh, I wish I could for once say 'No' to the proffesor if she tells me to do the pokedex mission, without her say 'Sorry, your answer again'
I want to journey to be different. Rather than your journey to conquer the pokemon league, its a journey to some hidden treasure or something. Where when you beat the gyms, they give you clues!..........Nah

Ahhh, I wish I could for once say 'No' to the proffesor if she tells me to do the pokedex mission, without her say 'Sorry, your answer again'
I want to journey to be different. Rather than your journey to conquer the pokemon league, its a journey to some hidden treasure or something. Where when you beat the gyms, they give you clues!..........Nah
I think only Rowan & Oak ever really asked you specifically.

And Rowan attacked you with a giant wave of ellipses.

Everyone else just kind of gives you one as a bonus &/or a "well since you're going all over the region anyway..."

(though, again, what's the point of saying "no")

Also, in case you were wondering: this is also the reason why Link has never spoken, and never will, in any Zelda game.
In Zelda II: Adventure of Link he delivers his one and only spoken line: "I Found a Mirror Under the Table"

While we're on the topic, morality multiple choice questions are always the same in every video game, like someone already said, there are usually only three outcomes sadistically evil, luminously altruistic, and neutrally neutral. In a game like Pokemon where the main character is supposed to be an avatar for the player, it just wouldn't work. Every bodies character would be the same person as all the others when all was said and done and the metagame begins (when it stops mattering anyway).

I dunno, I don't see them changing the overhead formula all that much, and "Silent Protagonist" definitely seems to be a staple.

Bioware also almost exclusively works in that type of system and each of their series are designed with it in mind.

Gamefreak does not.
I know, but the post I quoted was still incorrect nonetheless. Gamefreak hasn't added any morality choices in the first place; how do we know what to expect?

HolyChipmunk

California's finest chodesmuggler
This is true. The reason the main character has no personality, and doesn't speak, is because in games like this, the designers want each player to be able to envision themselves as the hero. If the character spoke or had personality, it wouldn't fit some people and would break the idea that YOU are the main character.

I'm surprised. I agree that consistent winning is a nice bonus, but I found the game hideously slow and annoying. I was able to win consistently at the slots (luck wasn't much of a factor for me) and rack up coins faster than with Voltorb flip. I'd like a replacement...

...but I have a friend who loves Voltorb flip, and if you enjoy it too, then all the more power to you! Because odds are, GF isn't going to bring back the slots in the English release due to certain complaints about gambling. What GF could do is pull a R/S/E: have multiple games to play in the game corner; imagine that!

I agree that there should be a way to purchase coins, especially since I have more money than I can use and coins take a long time to earn. And GF still needs to let Voltorb do something other than troll for a change!

@Norid, I disagree. I find that a morality or choice-system, even if shallow, always made me feel like I was more a "part" of the game - that I was actually the main character, making decisions and choosing my path. Those multiple outcomes also add replay value.
An example of this would be Star Fox DS. Awesome game.

I wonder if they would take an alternate way of making a personality by way of the little bubbles that appeared over your Pokemon's head to dictate mood in HGSS. At least it would be subtle, yet still let the player feel like they were in control and they were the real hero of the story.

You know, sort of like in Wind Waker when Link would show emotion not by speaking, but by simply conveying it on his face. Relatively happy when with freinds, grumpy when in a mind-boggling puzzle, angry when a foe was nearby.... That sort of thing.

Not sure if it has been asked yet, but can people in the US get Japanese Wifi events with pre-ordered games? Just wondering b/c I already pre-ordered and have Wifi and really want the liberty ticket. sorry if it has been discussed before.

wut, stop sucking at Voltorb Flip. Once you understand how the game works it's really easy to get the hang of things, and therefore be able to accurately predict where the voltorbs + 2s/3s will be.

Fighting/Flying typing for Victini would be cool.
I thought Voltorb Flip was dumb as well. They should of kept the ability to buy coins in =/

On another note, I'm wondering if Chiramii will simply be a Pachirisu (no evolution). It's dex number is much higher than previous early rodent types.

I was just thinking: if Victini's distribution starts the day the games are released in Japan, then players will probably get him at level 5. It's like the Colosseum's bonus disc Jirachi in the sense that you can take it with you from the beginning of the adventure (as long as you have the pokedex, of course).
As for it's typing, it could literally be anything. You can't tell anything from appearance anymore. Hell, for all we know, this thing could be pure dragon type! Don't think GF wouldn't do that...
(Btw, why does everyone assume it's gonna' be a dual type? I guess that would be more interesting)

I was just thinking: if Victini's distribution starts the day the games are released in Japan, then players will probably get him at level 5. It's like the Colosseum's bonus disc Jirachi in the sense that you can take it with you from the beginning of the adventure (as long as you have the pokedex, of course).
As for it's typing, it could literally be anything. You can't tell anything from appearance anymore. Hell, for all we know, this thing could be pure dragon type! Don't think GF wouldn't do that...
(Btw, why does everyone assume it's gonna' be a dual type? I guess that would be more interesting)
You can't use Victini until you reach a certain point in the game unfortunately :P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)