Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
hmmm out of curiosity maybe some of the council members will see this and be able to answer. Why was cinderace tested when the crowned tundra is comming around the corner and offering new ways to keep it in check in overused while right now it was clear it would cause issues in ou? I'm just confused why it was tested at this point?
This has been answered dozens of times, but let me walk you through it. It was banned initially via a council quickban, which happened well over a month into the metagame and came alongside the condition that it would be retested.

If we were to not retest it before a massive metagame shift, it basically sets a precedent that the council would be allowed to quickban anything at any point in time (beyond panic quickbans within the first few days) without any consulting to a community vote. It is important that the community gets to provide their feedback on every potential suspect that is not virtually unanimous.

In addition, nobody said anything whatsoever about this impacting Cinderace's placement in the post-DLC2 metagame. It can easily be reintroduced or retested once more if and when appropriate. Nobody should assume it will not be looked at later when the metagame will be vastly different, with tons of new Pokemon shifting almost everything.

Is discussion about DLC 2 content and its potential impact on the meta allowed? If so, is it permitted in the metagame discussion thread? If not there, where?

Have you ever considered banning Stealth Rock ?

I know that moves are not usually discussed for this kind of topic but this move is quite peculiar and most likely the best of the solo format, first I don't know if it can be considered too powerful or too oppressive or just too impactful, or even if it can be considered healthy or not for the format, but I know for sure it kind of restrict team building, and If I understood well, it's a big no no here, like now it's very rare not having a defogger or a spinner and also since this Generation, forces some Pokémon to use boots over everything else.

That being said, it's not that I dislike the mechanic but there is 2 things I really don't like, first it's everywhere and second it's typing kind of weeken every Pokémon of certain types by default, more diversified hazards would have been more fair.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Is discussion about DLC 2 content and its potential impact on the meta allowed? If so, is it permitted in the metagame discussion thread? If not there, where?
Here!

Have you ever considered banning Stealth Rock ?

I know that moves are not usually discussed for this kind of topic but this move is quite peculiar and most likely the best of the solo format, first I don't know if it can be considered too powerful or too oppressive or just too impactful, or even if it can be considered healthy or not for the format, but I know for sure it kind of restrict team building, and If I understood well, it's a big no no here, like now it's very rare not having a defogger or a spinner and also since this Generation, forces some Pokémon to use boots over everything else.

That being said, it's not that I dislike the mechanic but there is 2 things I really don't like, first it's everywhere and second it's typing kind of weeken every Pokémon of certain types by default, more diversified hazards would have been more fair.
It has been discussed many times over the generations and the answer has always been: no, it is not banworthy. This generation, it is even less likely to be considered with Heavy Duty Boots being common and Defog distribution being at an all-time high.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
Whats the best move for doing 100% damage to Sp. Def Toxapex? EQ, Psyshock?
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Toxapex: 221-265 (72.6 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Psyshock zam makes a good check, but it doesn’t like knock off. Even with choice specs it isn’t an ohko.
252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Toxapex: 254-302 (83.5 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
also most pex run physical defence

Whats the best move for doing 100% damage to Sp. Def Toxapex? EQ, Psyshock?
Adamant Excadrill eq does 84.8-100.6% to 252hp 252 spd calm Toxapex. I believe that this is the strongest non-boosted super effective move vs Toxapex in the tier, so there really isn’t a reliable way to ohko pex without a choice item or a boosting move.

Last edited:
Adamant Excadrill eq does 84.8-100.6% to 252hp 252 speed calm Toxapex. I believe that this is the strongest non-boosted super effective move vs Toxapex in the tier, so there really isn’t a reliable way to ohko pex without a choice item or a boosting move.
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 294-348 (96.7 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Diggersby is the strongest ground in OU. With Choice Band it can OHKO Max Defense Bold Toxapex. That's pretty much all it does since it's BL

What's a good EV spread for Stunfisk? And how viable would Stunfisk be in the current metagame? Ive noticed it beats Magnezone, Zeraora and Toxtricity (since it lives boomburst), while also usually winning against Togekiss. It's also a stealth rocker that matches up well against corviknight.

Last edited:
This has been answered dozens of times, but let me walk you through it. It was banned initially via a council quickban, which happened well over a month into the metagame and came alongside the condition that it would be retested.

If we were to not retest it before a massive metagame shift, it basically sets a precedent that the council would be allowed to quickban anything at any point in time (beyond panic quickbans within the first few days) without any consulting to a community vote. It is important that the community gets to provide their feedback on every potential suspect that is not virtually unanimous.

In addition, nobody said anything whatsoever about this impacting Cinderace's placement in the post-DLC2 metagame. It can easily be reintroduced or retested once more if and when appropriate. Nobody should assume it will not be looked at later when the metagame will be vastly different, with tons of new Pokemon shifting almost everything.
thanks for replying as especially given how tiresome it must be to answer the same question multiple times.

Why was galar darmanatan banned and not just Gorilla tactics?
Gorilla Tactics wouldn't be busted on anything with it though: It stinks when it is on a special attacker. Galarian Darmanitan happens to have a great combination of stats, typing, and movepool to abuse Gorilla Tactics with.

The only times abilities get banned is when they have disasterous effects no matter the pokemon that has it. (Which usually means trapping)

Gorilla Tactics wouldn't be busted on anything with it though: It stinks when it is on a special attacker. Galarian Darmanitan happens to have a great combination of stats, typing, and movepool to abuse Gorilla Tactics with.

The only times abilities get banned is when they have disasterous effects no matter the pokemon that has it. (Which usually means trapping)
I understand that. But is zen mode darmanatan worth banning? Surely more options in ou is better?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why was galar darmanatan banned and not just Gorilla tactics?
Smogon tries to avoid complex bans, and prefers to ban the Pokemon rather than the ability. This is explained and discussed in greater detail here. While I don't speak for smogon and their philosophy, one problem would be that you'd run into other restrictions for other Pokemon that could be considered "not broken". Great example would be to allow Blaze Blaziken, as without Speed Boost it wouldn't be broken. Again, you could extend this logic further by allowing something like Marshadow but with no STAB attacks, or Galar Darmanitan with no item. I'm not saying these threats would be viable or fair in OU, but restricting Pokemon and adding new clauses is a bad idea.

I think this highlights why this is a bad idea, as you could (in theory) make any clearly broken Pokemon not broken with the right restrictions. Its better and simpler to just ban the Pokemon. Hope this cleared things up :toast:

Is there anyway to express support for something in PR besides liking a post? I want to run a regional + original form on the same team
:psycry:
Not sure about you’re actual question, but the reason you can’t do that is because you can’t on cartridge I’m pretty sure. The Pokémon have the same Pokédex number between forms if I’m not mistaken, thus it falls under dupes. It’s the same idea as not being able to use different rotom forms, or Shaymin and Skymin. Maybe I’m completely wrong but I think this is why

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is the SubToxic set still viable with Aegislash? What are some other hot sets being run with aegislash?
The SubTox-Set is still a viable option. Another great set which got used a decent amount recently is the mixed Choice Scarf-Set. Choice Band and Choice Specs are also still viable options. And there is also the Set with Air Ballon and Swords Dance. I think Aegislash has plenty of viable sets and no set is particular useless at all.

Why isn't starmie seen much in OU? I could understand if its because of dragapult and zeroara, but it hits pretty hard with an analytic specs hydro, and can cripple switches like ferrothron with trick.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Why isn't starmie seen much in OU? I could understand if its because of dragapult and zeroara, but it hits pretty hard with an analytic specs hydro, and can cripple switches like ferrothron with trick.
Starmie isnt seen much because of faster threats like Dragapult and Zeraora. Rillaboom and Kyurems thrive in usage doesnt mean anything good for Starmie aswell and as far as it goes, defensive Waters like Toxapex are way more useful as they have a better defensive typing and stats, and it can check Urshifu (both versions) pretty well, whereas for offensive waters, Primarina and Crawdaunt offer a better offensive capability to break through teams while being weak to less threats to begin with. Primarina excells super as a Sub+CM-Sweeper, and has some reasonable bulk, whereas Crawdaunt hits hard and can Knock things off. Starmie per se isnt a bad pkmn in OU, but the metagame trends more against it than for it, therefore other water-pkmn are getting used instead since they can either check certain things or have a better offensive capability.

Last edited:
For a physical ice attacker, is DD kyurem only good with semi-stall or stall?
I'm wondering if Weavile always outclasses it for balance or offense?

I know Specs Kyu is very good but it's special and I'm asking about physical, and also specs kyurem doesn't have a way to be 'speedy'

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For a physical ice attacker, is DD kyurem only good with semi-stall or stall?
I'm wondering if Weavile always outclasses it for balance or offense?

I know Specs Kyu is very good but it's special and I'm asking about physical, and also specs kyurem doesn't have a way to be 'speedy'
DD Kyurem can fit onto teams apart from stall and semi stall. I don't have much experience with it personally, but I've never known this set to be for stall teams exclusively. Here are some examples of DD Kyurem being used in a recent tournament setting, it might give you some idea for good teammates and what to look out for. Example 1 Example 2 Example 3

No, Weavile doesn't outclass it, they're simply different Pokemon (typing, resistances, movepool etc) that can fill different roles. Another Physical Ice-type to consider is Mamoswine, which has been seeing increased usage recently. If you play to their specific strengths, they won't be outclassed.

Hope this gave some insight :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)