Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
I am running a Nasty Plot Spectrier and CB Gapdos core, anyone have any good ideas for teammates?
Galar-Zapdos is a great teammate already to Spectrier as it can pressure Normal-types such as Chansey and Blissey, furthermore Galar-Zapdos can pressure Tyranitar and Urshifu, which are huge threats to Spectrier.
Spectrier in return can chip a lot of Pokemon, which Galar-Zapdos struggles with such as Toxapex with a strong Specs-boosted Hex after Toxapex got crippled via a Burn.

However both struggle with opposing Ghost-types as none of them can come into these reliably so Teammates like Porygon2 can help here since it can bring both of them in safely to pressure opposing Ghost-types. Also Clefable makes up for a great partner, as it can help with opposing Dark-types like Urshifu, and also the fastest Dragon-type in Dragapult can be checked by Clefable.

Heatran and Magearna make up for great partners as they support Galar-Zapdos with being a sturdy Fairy-resist. heatran can set-up Stealth Rcoks and Magearna can bring in Galar-Zapdos and also Spectrier in with a Choice Specs-Set with Volt Switch.

Toxapex can also support both Galar-Zapdos and Spectrier with Knocking Off annoying Items from opposing Pokemon and it helöps with being a sturdy Fire-resist and gives also a sturdy Water-resist. And it can fullfill its role with it perfectly as it has regenerator + Recover means, it can do that in the long term. Furthermore it has Haze, which can be used to remove opposing Stat-boosts.

In overall mons which can pivot make up for great teampartners for Galar-Zapdos and Spectrier alike, as they appreciate the support given by them and they also appreciate sturdy Ghost-, and Fairy-resists.

Hope this helped.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
On the showdown program, can you check how much elo you currently have without doing a battle? If yes, then how?

Katy

Banned deucer.
On the showdown program, can you check how much elo you currently have without doing a battle? If yes, then how?
If you click on your name on the top right there you can check out your elo, gxe, and so on, furthermore when you type in /rank (not bolded on PS) in any room of PS you can find out your ranking which includes elo, gxe, and win/loss ratio, moreover you can reset your win/loss ratio there.

But I think Pokemon Showdown related Questions do belong here, as this SQSA-thread is reserved for OU related questions: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...re-read-original-post-before-posting.3520646/

Hope this information helped :)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
If you click on your name on the top right there you can check out your elo, gxe, and so on, furthermore when you type in /rank (not bolded on PS) in any room of PS you can find out your ranking which includes elo, gxe, and win/loss ratio, moreover you can reset your win/loss ratio there.

But I think Pokemon Showdown related Questions do belong here, as this SQSA-thread is reserved for OU related questions: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...re-read-original-post-before-posting.3520646/

Hope this information helped :)

123441560_3546362338719279_5991006302893583915_n.jpg

Uh where exactly on the first method? That's the only thing that shows up when I click my name. The second one did work though

Running Zygarde under screens. What set should I use?
I figure Sub/DD/Arrows/Glare is the best set? What EVs? Open to changing moveset as well
edit: also, other good mons under screens?

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Running Zygarde under screens. What set should I use?
I figure Sub/DD/Arrows/Glare is the best set? What EVs? Open to changing moveset as well
edit: also, other good mons under screens?
Zygarde can be 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe as its EV spread.
Another great move which could be used is Extreme Speed, as it enables you to revengekill Pokemon from the get go. Coil is also an option alongside Dragon Dance, Thousand Arrows and Extreme Speed. Zygarde itself is a Pokemon with a lot of variety, when it comes to its Sets especially under Screens.
Items could be Soft Sand, Figy Berry, or Leftovers. You can try all these different options and fit them to your liking pretty much.

To the Teampartners for it:
:Kyurem-Black: makes up for a great choice, since with Dragon Dance, Icicle Spear, Fusion Bolt, and Substitute it can handle Pokemon, which Zygarde struggles with, like Tangrowth, Landorus-Therian, Rillaboom, and Tapu Bulu.
:Volcarona: makes up for another great partner, since it is very threatening with a Quiver Dance-Set. Fiery Dance adds a superb move to that Set, as it can boost your Spatt.
:Urshifu: (Single-Strike) with a Bulk Up + 3 Attacks-Set is also another great Pokemon which likes the support via Screens.
:Magearna: can run many different offensive Move-Sets making it an excellent choice on Hyper Offense-Teams; Sets can be Calm Mind + Shift Gear + 2 Attacks, Shift Gear + 3 Attacks, even Iron Defense + Calm Mind with Draining Kiss and Stored Power can be great.
:Landorus-Therian: is a great Suicide Lead on Screen-Teams with Stealth Rocks + Earthquake + Explosion + Swords Dance / Rock Tomb.
:Cinderace: with Bulk Up and 3 Attacks adds another great option, with Pyro Ball, Gunk Shot and High Jump Kick / Zen Headbutt.
:Suicune: with a Calm Mind + Scald + Protect + Substitute-Set might not be as common, but can still work effectively under Screens.
:Celesteela: with an Autotomize + Weakness Policy-Set can function well with the support given by the Dual-Screens. Its Set could be Flash Cannon, Flamethower, and a Filler-Move, perhaps Earthquake to hit Heatran for super effective damage.
:moltres-galar: also makes up for a great Partner with a Substitute + Nasty Plot-Set and the Dual-Stabs in Fiery Wrath and Hurricane.

Hope this helped :)

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
i love sub dd dragapult, but i can't build a team around it. Any pokemon that would go well with it?
Sub DD Pult has a really hard time in this metagame because of how fast and offensive everything is, and with the return of Magearna/Melmetal, it's troubled even more. As a result, it really lacks a lot of reliable setup opportunities. As with the previous metagames though, it really capitalizes well on passive targets and teammates able to open holes for it to clean.

To find success with it, you'll want the aid of some good revenge killers and wallbreakers. For example, Melmetal is really good at forcing switches into Pokemon like Toxapex, Hippowdon, Corviknight and Zapdos, while also laying out a ton of pressure against Pokemon like Magearna and Clefable that do well checking Sub DD Pult; in fact, it pierces a lot of holes in teams in general with its Banded set, which has had a lot of success in the metagame so far. Pheromosa is cool as a revenge killer, and with LO/Band, it can pressure a lot of Steel-types that DD Pult really hates, such as Melmetal and Magearna, while providing an extra outlet for speed control and U-turn momentum for Dragapult on Corviknight/Zapdos switch-ins.

Dragapult also loves the support of hazard setters. I've liked Swampert as a Stealth Rock setter, and the advent of Flip Turn lets it gain momentum on switch-ins like Corviknight, Zygarde, and stray Tangrowth. Toxic is also super helpful for wearing down bulkier switch-ins that Dragapult likes having chipped down like the aforementioned Zygarde and Tangrowth, and STAB Earthquake stings Steel-types such as Melmetal and Magearna that Dragapult doesn't like dealing with.

Hi everyone! Just a quick question: I'm building a Team and for various reasons I would like to have a Future Sight user in it. Specifically one of the Slowbrothers.

Now I see a lot of people suggesting both Slowbro and Slowking but what's the biggest difference between the two? How do I chose one over the other for my team?

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone! Just a quick question: I'm building a Team and for various reasons I would like to have a Future Sight user in it. Specifically one of the Slowbrothers.

Now I see a lot of people suggesting both Slowbro and Slowking but what's the biggest difference between the two? How do I chose one over the other for my team?
Slowbro has great physical bulk while Slowking has great special bulk, they don't really differentiate that much when it comes to roles, so you can choose either depending on the team and if you are in need of a physical wall or special wall that can give Future Sight support.

With Landorus-I banned however, Slowbro is better than Slowking most of the time since the Pokemon it checks well are pretty prominent, such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, Blaziken, Melmetal and even Zygarde. Slowking is able to check stuff like Latios and Tapu Lele pretty well and previously it was able to check Landorus-I, however with that banned its lost a bit of effectiveness. Though again it really all depends on what you want to keep in check.

Hope this helped! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
The usage threshold for pokemon to stay in a tier was raised at the start of this generation, which is understandable due to the lower amount of pokemon necessitating relatively smaller tiers. However, the threshold is still just as high, despite us having far more available pokemon. Is there a secondary reason for the higher threshold that I'm not realizing, or is this just a change in smogon's policy that will be permanent from now on?

What is the functional difference between banning Power Construct vs Gorilla Tactics (or Libero) from a tiering perspective?
Power Construct is just a conduit to allow a whole new Pokemon (Perfect Zygarde) into the meta. Gorilla Tactics and Libero are just good abilities. It's basically the same thing as Mega Evolutions. If the mega is better than the base form, and is thus either banned or placed in a higher tier, then the stone is banned from the lower tiers because it grants access to the higher-tiered Pokemon. On the other hand, if the mega is worse and lacks the usage to stay in a tier, it doesn't drop because doing so would necessitate the usage of the regular form (this is what happened to Zen Mode).

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
What is the functional difference between banning Power Construct vs Gorilla Tactics (or Libero) from a tiering perspective?
On Gorilla Tactics - Gorilla Tactics on its own didn't make Darminatan-Galar busted, but it was the combination of Darmanitan-Galar's already monstrous attack, movepool, and decent speed coupled with the ability that I presume led to the decision of ban of Darmanitan-Galar. On its own, Gorilla Tactics isn't a busted ability as it is outrightly a worse version of Pure Power and Huge Power (as those abilities double the user's attack and do not give its user a detriment). These factors deemed that Darmanitan-Galar was unhealthy, rather than the ability Gorilla Tactics.

Libero is just a strong ability and the combination of Cinderace's attack, speed, movepool, and the ability to tear through a lot of team archetypes in DLC 1 is what led to Cinderace being banned. Libero contributes towards the viability of Raboot in PU and it did not make Raboot busted in it. Overall, to put it, Libero on its own is not an unhealthy ability, rather the Pokemon as a whole was unhealthy for the metagame. I believe DrPumpkinz has covered Power Construct well enough.

Power Construct is just a conduit to allow a whole new Pokemon (Perfect Zygarde) into the meta. Gorilla Tactics and Libero are just good abilities. It's basically the same thing as Mega Evolutions. If the mega is better than the base form, and is thus either banned or placed in a higher tier, then the stone is banned from the lower tiers because it grants access to the higher-tiered Pokemon. On the other hand, if the mega is worse and lacks the usage to stay in a tier, it doesn't drop because doing so would necessitate the usage of the regular form (this is what happened to Zen Mode).
Imo it's just not consistent. Libero Ace is part of the mon. Gorilla Tactics Darm is part of the mon. So is power construct with Zygarde. It's not even analogous to Ash Greninja because Zyg can freely change between Power Construct and Aura Break, unlike battle bond which is it's own thing. Go reread the Ace suspect where people say ad nauseum "we tier mons, not parts of mons"... power construct seems to be an exception.

Imo it's just not consistent. Libero Ace is part of the mon. Gorilla Tactics Darm is part of the mon. So is power construct with Zygarde. It's not even analogous to Ash Greninja because Zyg can freely change between Power Construct and Aura Break, unlike battle bond which is it's own thing. Go reread the Ace suspect where people say ad nauseum "we tier mons, not parts of mons"... power construct seems to be an exception.
Consistent or not, that is the actual reason. The decision to tier megas separately back in Gen 6 set the precedent for in-battle form changes.

Look- Libero isn’t busted on Raboot down in PU, so we don’t ban that. Gorilla Tactics is directly worse than Huge/Pure Power- yet Azumarill and Diggersby aren’t banned because they aren’t busted in OU. But Smogon tries to stay away from complex bans- so they will not just ban the combos of Libero+Cinderace, GTactics+Darm. Zyg-C, on the other hand, is not only an entirely separate form, but one that is directly superior to the base form. Banning Power Construct is essentially banning Zygarde-Complete, a Pokémon of its own, while allowing Zen Darm or Blaze Ace down in OU is banning a part of the Pokémon- a part that isn’t broken (eg Raboot and Azumarill.) I can see where you’re coming from— but think of Power Construct as like a mega evo if it helps. It gets a new ability and better stats just like one, and those get tiered separate from their base forms.

How much speed should you at least hit on TankChomp? I wanna run a more defensive set, but I know you at least need some speed, but not sure what's best

How much speed should you at least hit on TankChomp? I wanna run a more defensive set, but I know you at least need some speed, but not sure what's best
I recommend running enough EVs to hit 254 speed, which is enough to outrun modest max speed Heatran.

I haven't touched competitive Pokemon in 2 generations, but now with DLC2, this generation looks interesting enough to get back into. I've always been a fan of Rain teams, and they seem pretty viable now after just glancing at some of the new Pokemon and moves like Barraskewda, Urshifu-Water, and Flip Turn.

Is there a basic template or sample for Rain teams post-DLC2, or is the meta still being worked out? I'd assume Pelipper, Barraskewda, and some Electric immune/resist like Thunderus-I or Ferro are essential, but outside of that, I know nothing. Crawdaunt looks viable, but I'm also extremely biased towards that guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)