Suspect Test Process Stage Three - Version 2.0!

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In other words, the offensive characteristics asks the question about Garchomp AS A SWEEPER!
Yes, he has other attributes and can fulfil other roles but those are irrelevant from the perspective of whether he fulfils the OFFENSIVE characteristic just as Wobuffets inability to sweep is irrelevant to whether it fulfils the support characterstic.
So comparing Garchomp, AS A SWEEPER, to another Pokemon, AS A SWEEPER does not trivialize Garchomp anymore than it trivializes the other Pokemon.
A single Garchomp cannot simultaneously fulfill the role of sweeper, defender and supporter effectively so comparing one dimension of Garchomp to other Pokemon, IN THAT DIMENSION or CAPACITY, is completely relevant and logical in my opinion.
So you're claiming all sweepers are the same? They are interchangeable? Sweeping isn't some one dimensional set up a move and bash through teams. Secondly, it does trivialize the Garchomp argument specifically, since one of the biggest issue I've heard from other people is that Garchomp needs multiple checks because it's ability to actually use resistance berries effectively (This is the metagame based argument, obviously). RL's statements are utterly wrong in that they completely ignore that aspect of Garchomp and just assume it is the same as Lucario and Salamence. The assumption where you're wrong is in that Speed/Priority and Damage is all that matters. That is obviously false. There's more to how useful a Pokemon is offensively than just it's movepool, Speed, or how much attack it has.

Now maybe Garchomp is a better defender than Salamence but the question we have to ask is whether Garchomp is a broken wall relative to other OU walls and attacks not whether it is a better wall than a Pokemon that sweeps on par or better than it.
IOW, we need to prove that it is broken in its performance of any of its roles not that the ability to perform multiple roles converges most impressively in Garchomp.
However, your complaint that assessing Garchomp strictly as a sweeper trivializes it swings very dangerously in the direction of giving more weight to its versatility (which is not even that excessive) than the question of whether any of its particular activities breaks the metagame.
Uh, what? That's completely and utterly wrong and a terrible way to approach.

The Ubers characteristics have nothing to do with analyzing each of the aspects separately. How Bulky Garchomp affects how good it is OFFENSIVELY. Don't trivialize Pokemon like that... that is a naive, simple way of thinking about the characteristics. The point is every aspect of the Pokemon affects each of the characteristics and we have to be able to look at all the effects it has to properly see if it meets any of the characteristics... we don't only consider offense/speed for the offensive characteristic... that's a terrible way of thinking about it.

I'm pretty sure nobody ever thought/said that Garchomp, Salamence, and Lucario are all the same or interchangeable. However, as top sweepers it makes sense that they be compared. I'm not sure how you can possibly prove or disprove that Garchomp is uber without comparison. If you don't compare it to other top threats than it completely becomes an opinion on whether or not Garchomp meets the uber requirements.

And again, Tangerine, I think that you are being bias. As moderator of this thread and supporter of healthy discussion shouldn't you be equal to both sides?

So you're claiming all sweepers are the same? They are interchangeable? Sweeping isn't some one dimensional set up a move and bash through teams. Secondly, it does trivialize the Garchomp argument specifically, since one of the biggest issue I've heard from other people is that Garchomp needs multiple checks because it's ability to actually use resistance berries effectively (This is the metagame based argument, obviously). RL's statements are utterly wrong in that they completely ignore that aspect of Garchomp and just assume it is the same as Lucario and Salamence. The assumption where you're wrong is in that Speed/Priority and Damage is all that matters. That is obviously false. There's more to how useful a Pokemon is offensively than just it's movepool, Speed, or how much attack it has.
[

Uh, what? That's completely and utterly wrong and a terrible way to approach.

The Ubers characteristics have nothing to do with analyzing each of the aspects separately. How Bulky Garchomp affects how good it is OFFENSIVELY. Don't trivialize Pokemon like that... that is a naive, simple way of thinking about the characteristics. The point is every aspect of the Pokemon affects each of the characteristics and we have to be able to look at all the effects it has to properly see if it meets any of the characteristics... we don't only consider offense/speed for the offensive characteristic... that's a terrible way of thinking about it.
You have it wrong because you are not nailing down things and you are complaining when people do.
You speak of an arbitrary and nebulous bulkiness helping Garchomp to sweep but you complain that we trivialize Garchomp when we try to quantify how much of an advantage his numerical bulk is in the metagame.
Garchomp uses a resistance berry because it his his BEST option not because it gives him an absolute advantage.
You don't think Salamence survives a Swampert Ice Beam and 2HKOs with Outrage if it holds a Yache berry?
The fact is that Garchomp NEEDS the Yache berry to not be picked off immediately since the Ice attacks still KO without it and too many things can deliver them.

Offensive Pokemon do not carry defensive items as a primary option unless they are particularly vulnerable.
If he were able to survive effective attacks without a defensive Item then we would have something but he still dies to Ice attack and is slow enough to be susceptible to them so he must carry a TR berry.
His typing does not allow him to switch into Superpowers, Bullet Punches, U-Turns the way other sweepers with numerically lower defences can especially since he needs high health for Yache to even matter.
This is where we start to get past, "he has good bulk", and start to look at how this bulk gives him an advantage as a sweeper in the metagame.

I believe you have misrepresented my argument since sweeping involves being able to deliver KOs without being KOed yourself.
So obviously you'll need to hit hard enough to KO and either be able to survive attacks (for which you'll need good defences) or be fast enough to always hit first.
Therefore, analyzing Garchomp as a sweeper does not mean ignoring his defensive stats but it means quantifying it and not allowing it to float around as a nebulous entity that everyone can just appeal to.
It means establishing particularly how his defenses help him to sweep not merely harping that 'Defenses are good'.

So analyzing Garchomp's defensive stats/item in the context of a sweeping set reveals that it allows him to be 2HKOed rather than OHKOed by most attacks from the Pokemon in the metagame that threaten him (already listed) while delivering damage comparable to existing top sweepers.
But in exchange for that, he allows more Pokemon in the metagame (already listed) to deliver the two hits though having an ability that may allow him to dodge them.
That in a nutshell, is what Garchomp brings to the metagame AS A SETUP SWEEPER and I do not believe I am selling him short or trivializing by saying this.
It is Garchomp in a particular role or capacity, the manner in which you will ALWAYS see him in a match.
Not that you will always seem him as SD Chomp sweeper but he'll always be performing ONE of the potential roles of a Garchomp.
A single Garchomp on a team will never represent the inherent possibilities of the entire Pokemon species.

It seems as if you, as a moderator, are encouraging a kind of vague appeal to the Garchomp species' 'goodness' and 'wholistic qualities' which I do not agree with.
It is exactly the kind of thing we need to get past.
In the context of a given match, in a given metagame, with a given team, Garchomp will be doing something in particular.
We need to consider whether he can accomplish this thing in a broken manner not wax poetic about how multidimensional he is.
After we have looked at his performance of various roles (sweeper, supporter, etc) we can determine whether the sum total of his contribution warrants Uber status.
However we cannot be muddying the water with analysis of multiple roles at once as if the same individual Garchomp can do everything equally well.

RL's statements are utterly wrong in that they completely ignore that aspect of Garchomp and just assume it is the same as Lucario and Salamence. The assumption where you're wrong is in that Speed/Priority and Damage is all that matters. That is obviously false. There's more to how useful a Pokemon is offensively than just it's movepool, Speed, or how much attack it has.
I'm not ignoring that aspect, I merely stating that Lucario and Salamence both outdamage Garchomp AND have the ability to defeat faster threats. Garchomp as a set-up sweeper has to use resistence-berries because it cannot outspeed faster threats, thus is more susceptible to revenge kills and less likely to sweep through faster teams. What Salamence and Lucario have going for them is that if your initial counter is gone, you will have to go to extreme lengths to revenge kill them (extra fast scarfers, Ice Shard, Vacuum Wave, etc.), where as Chomp it merely requires a powerful pokemon above 334 speed which I listed a few page back how many fit this criteria WITHOUT the aid of a Choice Scarf.

I broke down why Garchomp doesn't fit the defensive and support characteristics, so in analyzing the offensive characteristics which entails "being able to sweep a large portion of the metagame with little effort," I don't see how comparing Garchomp's late-game sweeping effectiveness with two of the best sweepers in OU is trivializing Garchomp's ability as a sweeper. If I were to compare Garchomp's ability to sweep with say, Rayquaza, it would result in the same conclusion as with Lucario and Salamence. Rayquaza OUTDAMAGES Garchomp, and has BOTH Dragon Dance, and Swords Dance + Extremespeed to make revenge killing an absolutely daunting task. Yes, there is a trade-off, as Dragon Dance Rayquaza can still be checked by faster Dragons such as a Scarf Latias / Salamence, BUT they would lose to Swords Dance + Extremespeed. Swords Dance + Extremespeed has an Uber Counter in Lugia, but you should at least see where I am going with this even if it sounds like theorymon putting Rayquaza in an OU setting (it is just for comparison's sake).

Not only that, no one has still addressed why all the complaints for Garchomp for Uber and being "too strong" is centered around a set that is not even the most common in usage, which I showed above.

So, I don't see how anything I'm saying is "utterly wrong" when I'm merely bringing up these points for discussion.

usage does not equal power. Also garchomp is the "glue" of many teams, just being thrown in to revenge kill all other garchomps, lucarios, heatrans, latias', gyarados, etc. ScarfChomp can fit on any team as one of (if not) the best scarfed revenge killers on balanced/defensive teams.

FerrariCUBU said:
And again, Tangerine, I think that you are being bias. As moderator of this thread and supporter of healthy discussion shouldn't you be equal to both sides?
in all seriousness, though, the best points posed thus far have been from the "Garchomp is Uber" camp rather than the "Garchomp is OU" camp.

One of the biggest aspects of Garchomp-as-a-Sweeper that I see is the sheer fact that it can still do its job, and the same (or, as many people have argued, better) job as Lucario, Salamence, Gyarados, and various other simple setup sweepers while using a hold item that potentially nullifies one attempt at stopping it.

If you see an opposing Garchomp come in on your pokemon that, in theory, can't do anything to it - let's say you have an unboosted Lucario carrying Crunch or Stone Edge over Ice Punch. Let's say you somehow even KNOW beyond any doubt that this is an SD/Resist Garchomp build, it CANNOT be Choice or Salac or Life Orb or whatever else.

What do you switch to? Now, here's the conundrum that almost no other sweeper poses: You know for a fact that Garchomp is going to SD on your switch. There's nothing you can do about this. You have to bring in something that can threaten Garchomp out somehow. The rest of your team is somehow all healthy.

You could bring in your Weavile or Mamoswine or Starmie or similar Ice user (priority or just faster than Chomp).

Or you could bring in your Latias or Scarf Dragon-type or some other Scarfed pokemon with a Dragon move or fast pokemon with a dragon move.

In either case, Garchomp will, with 100% certainty, get off his Swords Dance to set up.

Now, even KNOWING this is a Swords Dance Garchomp and what it's going to do, you HAVE to have at least two of the above available and ready. If you bring in the ice check, you have a 50/50 chance of failing to kill with what SHOULD be a kill. If you bring in the dragon check, you still have a 50/50 chance to fail. The odds get even worse if there's a sandstorm - in other words, your 50% chance to kill chomp just became more like a 40% chance.

Since Garchomp SD'd on the switch, he has a 100% certainty on what his next attack should be (otherwise you're just giving him free turns, which, unlike Infernape/Gyarados/Lucario/Salamence/WhateverTheHeckElse, he ISN'T slowly killing himself with Life Orb - no Life Orb user truly gets a "free turn" unless it's a 2nd SD from a Lucario or something, which is basically GG anyway).

What that means is, you have a 50% or even 40% chance of KOing Garchomp with your check, while he has a 90+% of KOing you back if you hit that resist berry. You've now unequivocally lost one pokemon to Garchomp. Nothing you could do about it. The situation was completely out of your control - you got punished for making the correct play. Think about that. You did the right thing. You made a move that any competitive battler would say "that's what you should have done in that situation", and even knowing for sure what Chomp was going to do, you still lost a pokemon to it, because Chomp can afford to run a defensive hold item instead of an offensive one, letting him effectively "cheat" in a way no other setup sweeper can pull off. The rest of them all miss out on at least a few important KOs if they aren't holding their Life Orb, allowing them to be checked or even outright countered effectively.

Now, doesn't this sound almost exactly like another pokemon that got banned not based on any of the Uber characteristics, but based on how singly well it does its job over everyone else, and further punishing the opponent for making what should have been a correct play?

Or Lucario gets 1-2 extremespeeds off, opening up Garchomp up for a revenge kill from Scizor. Or if he's gutsy, he Close Combats then Extremespeeds, which combined with entry hazards takes out Garchomp.

Taqrineth said:
Now, doesn't this sound almost exactly like another pokemon that got banned not based on any of the Uber characteristics, but based on how singly well it does its job over everyone else, and further punishing the opponent for making what should have been a correct play?
everything you said can be applied to other pokemon. Can't Salamence Haban or Yache Berry to turn your shot into 50%? Can't SD Gliscor use Yache or Passho Berry, as well as using Sand Veil? You act as if Garchomp is the only Pokemon who can use resistant berries. The fact is any Pokemon can use them, and they opt not to on many sets, solely for the fact that we feel other items are more appropiate. But banning Pokemon based on an item (not to mention items that are used 20 and 12% of the time), is ridiculous.

Comparing Wobbuffet to Garchomp is also flawed. Wobbuffet was unique in ability and moveset. If you want to ban Garchomp on being able to punish you for the correct move, go ahead. But take into account Garchomp's bulk, moveset, and typing. But only stating 2 items that every Pokemon has access to seems like an argument that can be applied to everything else.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You guys are ridiculous.

I am accusing of trivializing simply because, by simply looking at damage output, you fail to consider the team aspect of Pokemon. You can't only say "Lucario and Salamence has this over Garchomp, so it's just another OU Sweeper", since there are definitely things Garchomp has over Lucario and Salamence. You can't just say "Let's ignore all of Garchomp's defensiveness since we're considering the offensive characteristic" or "Let's ignore all of Garchomp's prowess to offensively support a team" just because you're looking at the Offensive Characteristic.

The point of the offensive characteristic is not "how much damage output does it do", but "to what lengths do opponents have to go through in order to consistently stop it in the offensive front". The way you guys are looking at is simply "Garchomp is just another sweeper like Lucario and Salamence". No. That is not how you look at it. You look at "How easily can a team prepare for Lucario", you look at "how do teams prepare for Salamence", and you look at "how teams prepare for Garchomp". It is not simply "it can OHKO all of these!" except for the fact that most teams can easily prepare for Lucario, despite the fact that it's better at wall breaking certain Pokemon. You're not considering every aspect is all I'm saying, and I'm obviously not going to give you a "counter" argument since I haven't played Pokemon in a year. All I can do is tell you when your logic is wonky.

I'm not attacking your POINTS, which are fine, I'm attacking your LOGIC in which you guys magically get to your conclusions from. Of course I'm not going to give a counter argument on why Garchomp is Uber or whatever because I simply don't have an opinion on Garchomp nor do I have a right to do so (since you know, I never played a game of suspect). You can accuse me of bias all you want, if that makes you feel better. All I'm trying to do is get you guys to create complete argument instead of the halfassed incomplete bullshit filled with logical leaps with no concept behind it other than "It can do this! IT IS UBER!" or "It's not that good! It's OU!". Get some theory behind it, maybe you'll get somewhere other than trying to attack me over with (and if you can clarify your arguments then why didn't you do so in the first place instead of making me call you on it?)

The point is clarity clarity clarity. Where are you getting your statements from? Why do they matter? These are what needs to show up and be discussed not some bullshit incomplete comparisons whimpering to meet the characteristics of uber. Give me complete arguments BEFORE, and maybe you guys will GET SOMEWHERE with these discussions instead of going around in circles all the time and giving people terrible impressions of the forum (and just before you accuse me of not knowing what the characteristics mean I'll remind you I'm the one who created them)

ARandomDude said:
Or Lucario gets 1-2 extremespeeds off, opening up Garchomp up for a revenge kill from Scizor. Or if he's gutsy, he Close Combats then Extremespeeds, which combined with entry hazards takes out Garchomp.
Lucario was a bad example but it was the only one I could think of off the top of my head, sorry. I don't actually play much on Shoddy, just PBR wifi, which I haven't been able to do in a while because I can't connect my Wii to the internet at the moment.

kinglerdude said:
everything you said can be applied to other pokemon. Can't Salamence Haban or Yache Berry to turn your shot into 50%? Can't SD Gliscor use Yache or Passho Berry, as well as using Sand Veil? You act as if Garchomp is the only Pokemon who can use resistant berries. The fact is any Pokemon can use them, and they opt not to on many sets, solely for the fact that we feel other items are more appropiate. But banning Pokemon based on an item (not to mention items that are used 20 and 12% of the time), is ridiculous.
The problem with YacheMence or YacheGliscor or whatever is that UNLIKE Garchomp, they lose out on several important OHKOs and 2HKOs without their precious Life Orbs.

Garchomp has 20 more base Attack than Lucario with the same setup move (Swords Dance), which means Lucario NEEDS that Life Orb to hit the same effective attack stat as Garchomp, and on top of that Lucario CANNOT run the same unresisted Dragon/Ground/Fire combo. Lucario also effectively only has one STAB. Sure, Lucario's STAB Life Orb +2 Close Comat out-damages Garchomp's STAB not-Life-Orb +2 Earthquake, but take away that Life Orb and now Lucario might miss some crucial KOs due to its less effective overall coverage.

Gliscor also gets SD but he's even worse off with an even lower 95 base attack... but at least Gliscor gets the dual STABs that Lucario doesn't.

The issue gets amplified even further with Garchomp vs. Salamence or Gyarados. Those two only get Dragon Dance. DD gets the very, VERY important Speed boost alongside the damage, but the damage boost is only +50% rather than +100%, so while Salamence has HIGHER attack than Garchomp, it doesn't get amplified to nearly as high a level as Garchomp's. Same with Gyarados. On top of that, Salamence's second STAB just isn't useful - the only Flying attacks Salamence gets are Fly and Aerial Ace. Fly won't KO a damn thing because it'll just invite in a resist, and AA won't score the KOs Sally needs to keep going, so it's stuck with, again, only one STAB.

Then, finally, we hit upon one last issue - even without EVs, Garchomp just plain has the sturdiness to pull it off. The defenses of all these pokemon, first the base and then the "effective" total defenses after:

Garchomp - 108/95/85 [p: 203, s: 193]
Salamence - 95/80/80 [p: 175, s: 175]
Gliscor - 75/125/75 [p: 200, s: 150]
Lucario - 70/70/70 [p: 140, s: 140]
Gyarados - 95/79/100 [p: 174, s: 195]

I know those numbers aren't technically the "correct" way to refer to defensive potential, but it still proves my point: the only one with EITHER defense better than Chomp's is Gyarados with a SLIGHTLY higher special defensive potential. So, on top of Garchomp hitting as hard as or harder than the rest of the bunch, he also takes hits better. I know that's just statistics, but that's where the resist berry problem comes in. The only pokemon that can realistically punch through the berry to KO Garchomp anyway is a Latias with max SpA and either Specs or a Life Orb, using Draco Meteor. It will still OHKO through a Haban Berry. That's about it. Without running actual calculations (I'm a little too lazy for that), I'm still pretty sure that there are at least a few more pokemon that can punch through Yache Gliscor or Wacan Gyarados.

At the very least though, I do know that the aforementioned pokemon lose some key KOs once they lose their Life Orb. Taken from Lucario's analysis:

Code:
[LIST]
[*]Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Skarmory 84.4% - 99.7%
[*]Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Bronzong: 95.2% - 100% (67% chance to OHKO)
[*]Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Hippowdon: 75.7% - 89.3%
[*]Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Forretress: 79.7% - 93.8%
[*]Close Combat vs. max HP / Def Donphan: 82.0% - 96.9%
[*]Crunch vs. max HP / Def Cresselia: 63.5% - 74.8%
[*]Crunch vs. max HP Cresselia: 85.1% - 100% (2.6% chance to OHKO)
[*]Crunch vs. max HP / Def Dusknoir: 88.4% - 100% (21% chance to OHKO)
[*]Crunch vs. max HP / Def Celebi: 78.7% - 93.1%
[*]Crunch vs. max HP / Def Rotom - Appliance: 100%
[/LIST]
Without the Life Orb, he completely loses the possibility of any of these OHKOs (except possibly the Rotom-A which doesn't actually list the range, yay).

edit in light of Tangerine's last post: My conclusion is more or less that Garchomp restricts team construction badly, because of the fact that you MUST carry at least two clean checks for the behemoth, due to the 50% chance of scoring the KO even knowing with absolute certainty what it's going to do. If you're only carrying one check and guessed wrong, you're in serious trouble because it just scored a KO and, depending on the condition of the rest of your team, you might be screwed despite having an appropriate check for him.

Why are we comparing Lucario and Salamence to Garchomp? Do Lucario/Salamence have Sand Veil? Do they have 108/95/85 defenses? Does the latter have a resistance to Stealth Rock or Sandstream? Do they either have an immunity to Thunder Wave? Do they either have both ground and dragon STAB? Does Salamence have access to Swords Dance? These are huge questions, and yes, while all three are sweepers, Garchomp performs a completely separate role than those two.

Garchomp's great defenses, alongside Swords Dance, allows him to drastically alter the metagame by forcing bulky waters to invest into special attack(which Salamence doesn't accomplish, since most have high enough stats to OHKO after SR damage), which is risky for the defender, as Garchomp very well may have a Yache Berry. The list of checks for Lucario: Scarf Heatran, HP EV'd Jolly Salamence, Gliscor, Gengar, Scarf Rotom-H, Scarf Magnezone, Scarf Jirachi, etc, etc, is far larger than Garchomp's.

I am not arguing that Garchomp is/isn't broken, what I am arguing is the comparison of these three. Garchomp is a compromise of bulk, power and speed. These attributes allow him to perform at a much higher level than Lucario or Salamence.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My conclusion is more or less that Garchomp restricts team construction badly, because of the fact that you MUST carry at least two clean checks for the behemoth, due to the 50% chance of scoring the KO even knowing with absolute certainty what it's going to do. If you're only carrying one check and guessed wrong, you're in serious trouble because it just scored a KO and, depending on the condition of the rest of your team, you might be screwed despite having an appropriate check for him.
So... what's your point? Nearly all teams carry at least one 'check' to most sweepers, and they aren't being hoisted on the metaphorical pedestal. And all teams can be ruined if their checks for these Pokemon are weakened - this is true for any team and any sweeper. Losing a Pokemon to a badly judged prediction is pretty common fare in most games - and it's certainly not usually a situation where you are 'screwed'.

I think it was Surgo who said that your priority in constructing a teamfor DP was executing your strategy, and not worrying that much about checking the opponent as checking yourself (or something along those lines). Hyper offence teams usually have several Pokemon faster than Garchomp, and on almost all offensively-inclined teams, these Pokemon have moves that are, like it or not, going to hurt Garchomp, Berry or no Berry. Most teams will find a way to strike back at Garchomp. And if they don't want to switch in their reliable check, likely as not they may sacrifice their Pokemon to cause Garchomp damage as it sets up.

It seems difficult at the moment to actually convict any suspect on the Offensive or Defensive Characteristics, as for whatever reason, perhaps the ones touched on above, perhaps not, very few Pokemon are able to consistently switch in with little risk and actually sweep a team, not only the majority of the time but also to the extent that there is nothing whatsoever that can be done to stop it, even when your entire team is still up. If there are a few things that can be done to stop it, maybe. Garchomp has amassed an amazing number of ways to stop it, and cannot, I think, be called an Uber on account of the offensive clause.

This has been an extremely difficult thing to judge from play on the ladder - Of all the times a Garchomp has attempted a Swords Dance sweep, it has usually either been a) a cocky opponent bringing Garchomp in early-game when the entirety of my team is still up, and has been defeated at leisure, or b) As a last-Pokemon-standing sweep, when I have two Pokemon left, both of whom could have been beaten by a Scarf Luvdisc had the opportunity presented itself, and certainly been an easy picking for Lucario or Salamence.

Not to mention, of course, the unspecified boundaries of the Suspect criteria - though if they were any more strict, there would be no need for a Suspect Test at all. Is sweeping with little effort attributed to getting three kills once in every twenty games, or is it beating every team in six turns every single bloody time? That's up to you, though personally I would lean towards the latter side of the centre in my own interpretation.

Therefore, I would see Garchomp's ascent to Uber as only being feasible through the Support criteria - not least because almost every single one of the Suspects sentenced to banning by Smogon has had the sentence cast because of 'team support'. Do the holes that Garchomp strikes in your team prove fatal at the end of the game? Depends on the battler, really. Are you prepared to sacrifice a Pokemon to allow your check to get in safely? Assuming you switch, AND that Garchomp Swords Dances, AND that it took no damage switching in, AND that you have the appropriate Berry, OR that Sand Veil activates, OR that you cannot OHKO with the switch-in regardless (???), then Garchomp may well get a kill. Hip-Bloody-Hooray. Was it worth sacrifing your set-up sweeper and license for Uber for one kill? I hope so. A lot of battlers are saving Garchomp for later, wasting his time, and a lot more are wasting him in an early strike. He just doesn't seem to fit the bill in the way Dialga or Kyogre would, should we choose to test them. The only noticeable change I have really noticed from Garchomp's return is a decrease in Stall teams, which I really don't think is that much of a big deal. There are plenty of good wallbreakers anyway, and on offensive teams, trading an eye for an eye is a pretty common affair, so I don't see Garchomp shaking things up that much there - at least, not to the offensive side of things. In any case, the only real way Garchomp can ever come in for free is by sacrificing one of your own Pokemon - and then the ensuing brawl is pretty much forcing the opponent to do the same.

Oh, and lastly, why the hell is everybody still comparing Salamence, Lucario, and Garchomp to one another? I thought that the established point was that they all do different things, and all have the potential to do these things to the same degree of efficiency - Lucario has the priority, Salamence has the Speed, and Garchomp has the power. (Nobody make any Triforce remarks please). And that's only comparing common boosting sweepers - Lucario's main STAB is just as powerful as and more reliable than any of the others, and both it and Salamence can run mixed or pure special sets to almost the same standard, something Garchomp can't really, if I'm honest, do.

And @ Tangerine: Why are you victimising the OU camp for referencing and minimalising the state of Garchomp's sweeper ability in others, while you appear to praise the Uber camp when they do the same thing, exaggerating Garchomp's ability to sweep and maintaining that it is superior even to special sweepers, who have nothing whatsoever in common with it?

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
And @ Tangerine: Why are you victimising the OU camp for referencing and minimalising the state of Garchomp's sweeper ability in others, while you appear to praise the Uber camp when they do the same thing, exaggerating Garchomp's ability to sweep and maintaining that it is superior even to special sweepers, who have nothing whatsoever in common with it?
Okay.

Name one other post other than bigfoots' post where I have "praised the Uber camp"

In fact, I've praised 2 "Garchomp for OU" arguments, 3 if you count MrE's essay (despite some of the flaws in MrE's essay)

So.... lol

| 1 | Garchomp | 21052 | 79.11 |
| 13 | Lucario | 3428 | 12.88 |
| 22 | Salamence | 2139 | 8.04 |
Let the statistics speak for themselves. If Garchomp were a worse sweeper that Salamence or Lucario, or even on par with them, then why would Garchomp be used so overwhelmingly more than either of them? The statistics reveal how people are, in large numbers, either easily finding spots for Garchomp on their teams or are building teams specifically to use Garchomp to it fullest. All the Garchomp are not used by noobs, either; even the players on the leaderboard are using Garchomp. If Lucario and Salamence really were as good as Garchomp, then the people on the leaderboard would use them at about the same rate as Garchomp.

Sand Veil is also not getting as much attention as it should. Unlike deluge said, Garchomp does not always need the right resist berry to KO a Pokemon; 20% of the time, Garchomp can beat any of its counters even if it does not have the right resist berry. And no, that does not apply to Gliscor, because even if Gliscor dodges numerous attacks with Sand Veil, it is still hard-countered by Hippowdon and Skarmory. Garchomp has no hard counter that can still counter Garchomp after missing due to Sand Veil. And if only some small percent of battles have Sand active, that does not discount the Sand Veil argument at all because a good team-builder will be able to incorporate Tyranitar/Hippowdon and Garchomp into the same team. It isn't as if Garchomp and Tyranitar are vastly different in what type of team they work on, and do not work together well.

Garchomp's more likely to be used more because it's a suspect and it's usage is therefore encouraged. Statistics don't really prove that a Pokemon is "as good as" or "worse" than another Pokemon. I've heard people claim that Salamence is Uber, yet I haven't seen many arguments against Scizor (which has much more usage here).

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with Garchomp being the most controversial suspect Pokemon right now? You need to use Garchomp to receive your SEXP, not to mention you should be using him anyway to get an accurate picture of what it can do.

Gliscor is hard countered by Hippowdon and Skarmory? It isn't like Gliscor could run Taunt or Toxic to defeat old counters. And that just fits into what I said before, it isn't a new strategy to do so. And lose the "hard counter" mentality anyway; DPPT's introduction of "checks" to stop an opponent is enough, and it has already been shown that Garchomp has plenty of checks, or Pokemon that would still force him out (unless you feel like taking the chance of them missing).

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
As a reference:

I decided to go back and calculate the percentages of the Pokemon used during August 2008, the era before Garchomp's ban.

Pokemon's usage / (battles in OU ladder *2)

Please tell me if that equation is incorrect

There were 160, 531 battles in the Standard metagame during that month

Here is the top 10
1) Garchomp (32.75%)
2) Gengar (26.09%)
3) Gyarados (19.95%)
4) Metagross (19.66%)
5) Lucario (18.66%)
6) Deoxys-S (17.45%)
7) Blissey (17.41%)
8) Heatran (16.97%)
9) Bronzong (15.31%)
10) Infernape (14.30%)

Now let's compare those with the top 10 in our current OU metagame.

| 1 | Scizor | 251936 | 31.81 |
| 2 | Gyarados | 160635 | 20.28 |
| 3 | Latias | 158954 | 20.07 |
| - | Rotom-A | 158574 | 20.02 |
| 4 | Heatran | 155275 | 19.61 |
| 5 | Salamence | 153430 | 19.37 |
| 6 | Metagross | 142426 | 17.98 |
| 7 | Tyranitar | 141423 | 17.86 |
| 8 | Infernape | 119536 | 15.09 |
| 9 | Lucario | 118820 | 15.00 |
| 10 | Jirachi | 110560 | 13.96 |

In it's current state, Garchomp lost Deoxys-S as a check and gained Latias, Scizor, and even possibly Manaphy.

Take what you want from these stats.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay.

Name one other post other than bigfoots' post where I have "praised the Uber camp"

In fact, I've praised 2 "Garchomp for OU" arguments, 3 if you count MrE's essay (despite some of the flaws in MrE's essay)

So.... lol
Hmm...

This post is a very good start on what I want to see in this thread
A discussion about how Garchomp apparently outclasses avery single OU sweeper currently in OU by a considerable margin, even those that have nothing whatsoever in common with him, to the point where it isn't worth using any of them. This is, if I'm honest, the post I was basing my comment on, although I suppose that perhaps my wording was not justified (but I still do not think that RaikouLover or deluge's reasoning in their post was any less believable than ARandomDude's reasoning here).

I think that the reasoning here is pretty horrible (although I have my own reservations about Deoxys-a being classified here under the Offensive Characteristic, when I would almost certainly have put it down as a Supporter). Personally, I would consider that outclassing other OU sweepers is far from the point - if the only three offensive Pokemon in the metagame were Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Unown and Garchomp, but there were five hundred other Pokemon with 200 base HP and 300 in both defences, all with access to Seismic Toss, Garchomp would still be the fastest and most powerful sweeper in the metagame, but it wouldn't be broken. This analogy may be a little flawed, given that this leans heavily on the somewhat dubious Defensive Characteristic for support, but it highlights the point that a sweeper cannot be judged in the context of other sweepers but in the context of the entire metagame it is operating in. Obviously in a balanced tier such as OU, to speak of one is often to speak of the other, yet for Garchomp while the difference is slight, it can also make all the difference in the world - I do not believe that Garchomp is the best sweeper in OU, but it is damn close, I'll warrant that. But if we move that away, and look at the Uber clauses without bias, Garchomp seems less of an issue. The clauses can only be applied via experience, and from my experiences, I can say that Garchomp does not break the Offensive Clause. Whether it breaks the support clause is another matter entirely.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
mtr, I didn't use my post to bring up an argument (though I suppose it does imply such), and I won't argue.

I'll chime in a few facts
- Yes, I know that Scizor is a last resort check.
- Scizor rarely switches into Latias due to the threat of HP Fire (which was pretty common in Suspect)
- Latias does not OHKO Haban Garchomp unless it has a Choice Specs.
- Haban Garchomp helps against other Garchomp
- How in the world did Garchomp lose the ability to check itself?

this is a response to bigfoot and elevator music's 'grachomp is uber' threads from a few pages back (I think pg 28). I think they' both have some good arguments for why chomp is uber, at least they made me rethink some stuff.

To summarize and extend the arguments of em's post:
1. Chomp can be a bit like wobbuffet, it can come in and take out a poke early game with relative ease unless you have skarm and even then...
1b: garchomp is very hard for stall to deal with because if it comes in before toxic spikes are on the ground, you basically need to go to skarm/hippow and phaze it away. this 'need to phaze' points out that chomp is actually a very good early game sweeper/wall breaker. (something I'm trying to say it isn't).
2. chomp, because of its defensive versatility (this is my way of saying it can hold scarf, or 3 different kinds ofberries, each of which requires slightly different ways of defending against it ) combines with its offensive power makes the metagame stale because you need many chomp counters.

Delta2777 and bigfoot both extend elv. music's post, especially point 2. I'll just quote bigfoot's last paragraph, you can read all his math of pokes that check chomp:
For needing to choose three checks from a small list of possibilities, Garchomp fits the Offensive Characteristic. This forces drastic changes in a metagame where half of these checks are seen on less than 7% of current teams. In playing the suspect metagame, many of these checks are seeing huge jumps in usage. Skarmory, Bronzong, Scizor, Latias are all being used much more than in a Garchomp-less metagame, showing just how necessary it is to use these checks. Of the other checks, most have not fallen in usage. This shows the increased usage of Garchomp checks--and not by a small amount (Skarmory usage in particular has skyrocketed). The induction of a new, powerful Pokemon into OU should cause changes, but not the extent that Garchomp forces.

This point is basically that chomp in OU is best dealt with by anti-chomp teams, rather than by any number of general strategies.

Here's my response:
I want to think abt how chomp does against certain kinds of teams, stall, semistall, heavy offense, balanced/bulky-offense, rather than specific pokes. I think it makes more sense to think about how a pokemon impacts kinds of teams/strategies in the ou tier, rather than thinking about what counters/checks it on a poke-by-poke basis. Most of the uber pokemon would make particular kinds of teams very very very hard to use.

To give a sense of what a poke that meets the uber offense characteristic by a lot would do, think of kyogre. I'm specifically choosing a poke that doesn't really resemble chomp here. Ok, so there's an uber warstory in the archive bwtn gen emp and panamaxis. In it, pana's kyogre is paralyzed very early game but still manages to take out or force out a bunch of gen emp's pokes, despite being fully paralyzed a couple of times. In OU, such a pokemon would basically have no probelm coming out on turn 1, and winning the game unless the opposing team was full of kyogre responses. Even if you throw up light screen or use amnesia or something, kyogre can just bide its time firing surfs or calm minds or whatever. In other words, no kind of OU team besides a team designed purely to counter kyogre would really stand a chance. This is what over-centralizing would be like, and what breaking the offensive clause looks like.

if elev. music is right and chomp makes stall unusable then he should be uber. The problem for stall teams facing chomp is that tspikes are needed to beat it, but every common user of tspikes (except for maybe smeargle before his sash is broken) will basically always be set up bait for chomp (outside of a sandstorm, roserade can sleep/paralyze chomp, she can also hit it with a very strong leaf storm, but chomp has a good chance to ohko her first). Now most stall teams don't use reflect. it seems to me that with chomp around, setting up reflect becomes pretty necessary for stall because it lets you set up tspikes behind the reflect. reflect turns every pokemon that isn't weak to one of his attacks and/or has decent defenses into a chomp counter. Before someone says "but chomp can boost his attack to get past reflect" yes. But that uses up turns that your bulky attacker can use to hit chomp with one of the many attacks he takes neutral or super effective damage from. so you reflect early game, set up tspikes, and stall chomp out when he comes back in. i know that few stall teams use reflect now, but it doesn't seem over-centralizing to me.

the other problem chomp makes for stall teams is that it really benefits from, as opposed to being hurt by or not affected by, sandstorm. Stall teams might want to rethink using hippo/tar early game to set up SS. One potential idea is to think of making a stall team that uses a different kind of weather, hail stall can work (ladybug's team proves it), and rain-stall might be a very strong possibility, esp. if manaphy is ou. This could be a bit of a stretch, but i don't think chomp would enjoy sweeping in the rain or snow.

Heavy offense teams don't really have much of a chomp problem in my experience partly because they often set reflect up early game and they threaten too much with there own pokes to give chomp much of a chance to set up.

what about the need 3 counters/stale metagame argument?
I could be wrong but it seems to me that chomp will always go down to:
2 ice attacks, 2 dragon attacks, 1 ice and 1 dragon attack, 2 powerful unresisted special attacks, 2 powerful unresisted physical attacks.

This is important for bulky offense,semistall, and heavy offense teams. It indicates to me that what you need for chomp is 2 checks. I think the argument could and is being made that chomp's ability to relatively reliably take its check out makes it uber. That said, if my team has 2 pokemon that either outspeed or can take a hit from chomp and hit chomp with an attack described above, I should be ok. The counter to this is that chomp can always switch out and come back in. My response would be that in the mean time my team has the chance to set up a situation where chomp won't be sweeping much, either by setting up my own sweeper, toxic spikes, reflect, whatever.

like i said at the start, i do really think that el. music and bigfoot and delta2777 have a good point, this is just my response.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I could be wrong but it seems to me that chomp will always go down to:
2 ice attacks, 2 dragon attacks, 1 ice and 1 dragon attack, 2 powerful unresisted special attacks, 2 powerful unresisted physical attacks.
Unless sv is activate in which case it will only go down to these things 64% of the time (most likely 80% in the case of dragon + ice, though not necessarily as a lot of dragon attacks dont OHKO chomp).

Furthermore it only does this if it decides to stay in to take your hits, and not to just hit and switch (which Garchomp is ideal for with its bulkiness, and resistance to stealth rock). This is, in my opinion, no where near enough checks to Garchomp for any style of team.

Have a nice day.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yes, it ended five days ago, doug is compiling the stats so we can make the voting pool

The argument that the top physical sweepers cannot be compared has no merit.
Comparison of different living things is the basis of taxonomic classification.
EVERYTHING can be compared. In fact, you gain the least from comparing things that are exactly identical.

If Garchomp sweeps on a level that makes it Uber and the current OU sweepers do not (by definition),
then the clear implication is that it sweeps more successfully than they do in the OU metagame.
So it's quite logical to ask whether this is really the case and what causes it to be so!

IMO, only with extensive Sand Veil hax can Garchomp beat a team prepared for it and that will not happen the majority of the time.
So I'm with the person who says that a stronger case can be made for the support clause if only because it is more open by nature.

Anyway, enough talk!
Congrats to all who have gained voting rights and I look forward to the outcome of the vote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)