Other The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition (Discussing Gardevoir sets) Check Post #920

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not gonna go with my nomination, mainly because I'm not very proud that that moveset is all I could come up with so I'm going to go with ArchPhamtom's Lead Mew. I've used that set (or something similar) on Mew before and in my experience it was an effective and efficient lead: especially since people switch into something to absorb a burn first turn.

It's sunday night, so voting has ended!
Here are the standings:
ArchPhantom's Lead Mew - 5
Jukain's Physically Defensive Mew - 6
Recreant's SD Mew - 1

So Jukain's Physically Defensive Mew wins!

Our new test subject will be...
raikou.gif

Raikou
Here are the current entries:
Jaguar360's Dual Screens Raikou​

Last edited:
243.gif

Raikou @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Hidden Power [Ice]
While it faces competition from Klefki and Azelf as Dual Screeners, Raikou can distinguish itself thanks to its handy Electric typing, allowing it to scare every Defogger in OU (except for Zapdos and the Latis because HP Ice is too weak without a boosting item) with Electric/Ice coverage and gives it Volt Switch, allowing it to keep momentum going for the Offensive teams that it will usually be placed on. Raikou's speed tier is also excellent, outspeeding Thundurus (while being immune to paralysis!), various Megas (Metagross, Diancie, Gallade, Pinsir) While it presents great utility, it is a bit lacking in power since Volt Switch and HP Ice have lowish base power. Thunderbolt is slashed for that reason, but Volt Switch is really useful. Discharge can technically be used for the paralysis chance, but that may not be worth using.

You can also run 224 Speed EVs to just get past the benchmark for Thundy and put the rest into HP, but the speed helps for Raikou, Azelf and Starmie speed ties and also outspeeds Serperior as a bonus.

Sorry guys, I made a mistake when I chose Raikou. It has a really shallow movepool, and it's only job is being a CM set up sweeper or a birdspam check. This week, we'll do Pangoro instead. Sorry for the confusion :(

Last edited:
In that case, I bring SubPunch Pangoro!

Pangoro @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Focus Punch
- Gunk Shot / Power-Up Punch / Drain Punch
- Substitute

The goal of this set is to find something you can set up on, set up a Substitute, and begin crushing things with a powerful Iron Fist boosted Focus Punches. Gunk Shot is there for the Fairies, but if you're feeling adventurous you can use Power-Up Punch to help make up for the power lost by running Leftovers. Another option would be to run a Life Orb and use Drain Punch for recovery, but that can lead to Pangoro being worn down too quickly.

EDIT: Same time? I've got a time stamp that says otherwise >:). But I don't mind sharing credit. I did change the EVs to outspeed uninvested neutral speed Clefable

Last edited:
Here is one set that I just thought of, and it seems to do pretty well on paper.
675.png

Pangoro @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Punch

Enter SubPunch Pangoro. Although Pangoro's main use is a pivot with Parting shot, or a Mega Sableye destroyer, it can also run a Sub Punch set. Pangoro's decent bulk let's it set up subs, while Iron Fist boosts the power of Focus Punch to insane levels. Knock Off is pangoro's other STAB move, which beats most ghost types that are immune to focus punch. Gunk shot allows it to hit fairies like Clefable, that wall it's STAB combo. You can also run Parting shot so right after you nuke something you can gtfo, but it's kind of redundant with substitute. Life Orb gives Pangoro more power, but cuts down on it's staying power, while lefties lets it recover health constantly to make more subs. Send Pangoro in on something that it can force out, like Chansey, then set up a sub on the switch, and then nuke something with focus punch. You can also directly use focus punch on the predicted switch, without having to use sub, but it can be a bit risky if he has a ghost type on his team.

edit: SHIT I GOT NINJA'D
edit2: Greninja has taken it's revenge out on me after being banned to ubers
edit3: If only I had typed a little faster
edit4: Well in this case, I will combine our two sets together, since they were posted at the exact same time.

Wouldn't you want to run some speed on SubPunch Pangoro? It's not the quickest thing in the world, but it's got a decent enough tier that some speed investment would be helpful. At the very least I would add a few points to get by base 60's like Clefable, but running 104 speed EVs and an Adamant nature gets you past uninvested base 70 speed.

Wouldn't you want to run some speed on SubPunch Pangoro? It's not the quickest thing in the world, but it's got a decent enough tier that some speed investment would be helpful. At the very least I would add a few points to get by base 60's like Clefable, but running 104 speed EVs and an Adamant nature gets you past uninvested base 70 speed.
Yeah outspeeding clefable is definitely worth it. Running 20 let's your outspeed min speed clef, so I'll just take out 20 points from HP.
This would be the new set.
675.png

Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Punch

Enter SubPunch Pangoro. Although Pangoro's main use is a pivot with Parting shot, or a Mega Sableye destroyer, it can also run a Sub Punch set. Pangoro's decent bulk let's it set up subs, while Iron Fist boosts the power of Focus Punch to insane levels. Knock Off is pangoro's other STAB move, which beats most ghost types that are immune to focus punch. Gunk shot allows it to hit fairies like Clefable, that wall it's STAB combo. You can also run Parting shot so right after you nuke something you can gtfo, but it's kind of redundant with substitute. Life Orb gives Pangoro more power, but cuts down on it's staying power, while lefties lets it recover health constantly to make more subs. Send Pangoro in on something that it can force out, like Chansey, then set up a sub on the switch, and then nuke something with focus punch. You can also directly use focus punch on the predicted switch, without having to use sub, but it can be a bit risky if he has a ghost type on his team. Speed EVs let you outspeed 0 speed clefable, allowing you to hit it with gunk shot, while the rest of it is dumped in attack and HP for higher damage output and bulk, respectively.

I'll take this one more seriously than Kyurem-B.

pangoro.gif

Bulk Up Pangoro
Pangoro @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot

Bulk Up Pangoro can function as a late-game set-up sweeper or as a bulky wallbreaker. The combination of Bulk Up, Drain Punch, and Leftovers make Pangoro surprisingly sustainable, and allow the grass-eating panda to stick around for the majority of the battle. Its secondary STAB is Knock Off, for utility as well as power. Lastly comes Gunk Shot for those pesky Fairy types. The EV spread allows for maximum Attack and bulk while outspeeding base 80 opponents with no Speed investment.

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Magnezone: 276-326 (98.2 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 436-520 (127.8 - 152.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (lol duh)
252+ Atk Pangoro Gunk Shot vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 332-392 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 178-211 (55.7 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 620-732 (96.5 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 446-528 (115.5 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah outspeeding clefable is definitely worth it. Running 20 let's your outspeed min speed clef, so I'll just take out 20 points from HP.
This would be the new set.
675.png

Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Punch

Enter SubPunch Pangoro. Although Pangoro's main use is a pivot with Parting shot, or a Mega Sableye destroyer, it can also run a Sub Punch set. Pangoro's decent bulk let's it set up subs, while Iron Fist boosts the power of Focus Punch to insane levels. Knock Off is pangoro's other STAB move, which beats most ghost types that are immune to focus punch. Gunk shot allows it to hit fairies like Clefable, that wall it's STAB combo. You can also run Parting shot so right after you nuke something you can gtfo, but it's kind of redundant with substitute. Life Orb gives Pangoro more power, but cuts down on it's staying power, while lefties lets it recover health constantly to make more subs. Send Pangoro in on something that it can force out, like Chansey, then set up a sub on the switch, and then nuke something with focus punch. You can also directly use focus punch on the predicted switch, without having to use sub, but it can be a bit risky if he has a ghost type on his team. Speed EVs let you outspeed 0 speed clefable, allowing you to hit it with gunk shot, while the rest of it is dumped in attack and HP for higher damage output and bulk, respectively.
We still get shared credit for this since you only beat my EV edit by less than a minute, right?

I'll take this one more seriously than Kyurem-B.

pangoro.gif

Bulk Up Pangoro
Pangoro @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot

Bulk Up Pangoro can function as a late-game set-up sweeper or as a bulky wallbreaker. The combination of Bulk Up, Drain Punch, and Leftovers make Pangoro surprisingly sustainable, and allow the grass-eating panda to stick around for the majority of the battle. Its secondary STAB is Knock Off, for utility as well as power. Lastly comes Gunk Shot for those pesky Fairy types. The EV spread allows for maximum Attack and bulk while outspeeding base 80 opponents with no Speed investment.

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Magnezone: 276-326 (98.2 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 436-520 (127.8 - 152.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (lol duh)
252+ Atk Pangoro Gunk Shot vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 332-392 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 178-211 (55.7 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 620-732 (96.5 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 446-528 (115.5 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Just wondering, but could you also run scrappy to beat mega sableye?

675.png

Bulky Pivot Panda
Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 212 HP / 40 Atk / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Toxic / Gunk Shot
Pangoro's 95/78/71 bulk doesn't look too special, but it's actually nice and allows it to take hits and function as a bulky pivot. On this set, Pangoro's goal is to take (mostly physical) hits, spread poison, Knock Off items, and weaken Pokemon to create setup opportunities and deal with certain sweepers in emergencies. 212 HP EVs reach a Leftovers number, 232 Def gets the jump from 273 to 275 Def and the 24 Speed EVs allow Pangoro to outspeed uninvested Tyranitar.

This Pangoro set works best with a cleric of sorts, whether it be a Wishpasser, a Heal Bell/Aromatherapy user or a Healing Wish user. It fits well onto VoltTurn teams as well as balance and bulky offensive teams. It really is a handy support Pokemon and does its job even better when it receives support itself.

I start using this soon after ORAS came out and have recently put it on a team with Healing Wish Latias, two U-turn users in Landoge and Mega Beedrill and Serperior and it's been performing nicely in its own little ways. Here is a replay where it does some work early game, allowing Serperior to sweep:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-202032764

Lure Pangoro will now be presented to you.

Pangoro @ Life Orb/Choice Band
EVs: 232/228 HP, 252 Atk, 20/24 spe
Adamant Nature

- Knock Off/Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Thunder Punch/Stone Edge
- Parting Shot/Ice Punch

No, I'm still sane. This set attempts to lure pokes such as faries, Talonflame and Zard Y in, and destry them with the great coverage. Gunk Shot is there for fairies (probably harder to lure now it gets gunk shot, but still), while Thunder Punch/Stone Edge is for flying types. I prefer Thunder Punch for Skarm + accuracy, but the choice is yours. Parting Shot allows you to pivot to see what you lure in, and is better IMO, as all ice punch hits is Gliscor, Lando-T and Dragons, and it already hits M.Altaria, one of the most notable now, with Gunk Shot. The STAB move is your preference between recovery and item removal. Depends what you are weak to/if you have a wish passer/healing wish.

Overall, I find this set to be reasonably effective, but I do miss dual STAB. You can run more speed to creep defensive faries, but creeping Clefable and maybe Sylveon trying to creep something else is all you'll be able to do easily without going scarfed, which is kinda weird on a lure set IMO.
20 speed is for 4 speed Clefable/Sylveon, and 24 for uninvested T-Tar. 28 for 4 speed T-Tar works too, but only creep T-Tar if going for drain punch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back