Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (B- and C+ Pokemon discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its S rank because you have no idea what in the damned hell its going to do, and all of its sets are extremely threatening. Its the exact same thing with lucario, genesect and aegislash.
Not really. It can be unpredictable due to its movepool, but a base power of 95 is not exactly going to OHKO anything unless it's 4x effective or dealing with something frail. Lucario, Genesect, and Aegislash all have monstrous attack power complimented with their great abilities. Deoxys-s has an ability that is garbage when paired up with his bulk and offensive stats that don't even hit 100. When people lead with Deoxys-s, it's usually going to be a suicide lead or a dual screener. If it's saved for later, it's usually going to be an offensive variant. An offensive Deoxys-s is only going to be threatening if your whole team is weakened and none of them run priority (in other words, very unlikely).

Nominating Tentacruel for B/C+.

Though running Rapid Spin is a neat trick on a bulky water-type that doesn't need a Mega Stone to work effectively (looking at Mega Blastoise), it is outclassed by Spinners like Excadrill and Starmie. It doesn't have any solid recovery moves, forced to use Leftovers or Rest for healing. Rain isn't permanent, so its Rain Dish is less useful. Clear Body is nice, but it's somewhat pointless to be lowering Tentacruel's stats unless it's from a side effect of an already-strong move like Shadow Ball. Liquid Ooze is not particularly useful; the only real trouble it helps stop is Ferrothorn's Leech Seed.

That being said, it has access to setting hazards in Toxic Spikes, can support with Rapid Spin and Knock Off, and can burn with Scald, poison with Toxic, or confuse with Confuse Ray. It has a few different sets; Leftovers and full support (Scald/Toxic Spikes or Toxic/Knock Off or Confuse Ray/Rapid Spin) or Assault Vest (Scald/Sludge Wave or Dazzling Gleam/Knock Off/Rapid Spin). Toxic Spikes is, in my opinion, far less effective than simply carrying Toxic, due to the move's restrictions, though it certainly is an option. It comes with a decent base HP stat (80), a strong base Special Defense (120), and decent base speed (100), but it's Defense stat is certainly subpar (65). It's typing is decent, giving it weaknesses to Electric, Psychic, and Ground. It can take Thunderbolts and Psychics, but has difficulty shaping up with Psyshocks and Earthquakes from many common threats like Excadrill, Garchomp, Mamoswine, Alakazam, and Reuniclus. It resists Fighting, a common type, but it's lack of Defense stat means that it still gets beaten down by Conkeldurr and Breloom. With many potentially fatal drawbacks, Tentacruel is simply not a threat now in the X/Y metagame, though it still has its own niche.

I'm against Deoxys-S at S-rank too. But hey, if it means more people use it, maybe I should support it. None of its sets are exactly hard to deal with.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sylveon does not have Heal Bell or Moonblast.
This is completely incorrect, Sylveon has the ability to learn both Heal Bell and Moonblast at the moment, Moonblast is a level up move for Sylveon, so i don't know how you can say there's no way for it to learn it even if you're talking about a prepokebank metagame (this viability thread is for postpokebank for future reference, pokebank was released for just enough time in japan a few days ago for a sizable amount of stuff to get transferred, although its still not here in other countries. Even though it does get Moonblast, i just don't see a reason why you'd use Moonblast over Pixilate Hyper Voice Thanks to Pixilate, Hyper Voice essentially becomes becomes a fairy-type move and therefore recieves STAB, and gets a 1.3% power boost too, giving it the equivalent about 117 BP+STAB, making it significantly stronger than Moonblast from Florges could ever be. As for Heal Bell, Sylveon's pre evolution Eevee is capable of learning the move (along with Hyper Voice) via past generation tutors, so you can't say that Sylveon is incapable of using that either.

When people lead with Deoxys-s, it's usually going to be a suicide lead or a dual screener. If it's saved for later, it's usually going to be an offensive variant.
Good luck betting on that, deoxys can easily lead or be saved lategame using any of its sets because thats how good they are. Youre kidding yourself if you think figuring out deoxys is as trivial as whether it leads or not.

Not really. It can be unpredictable due to its movepool, but a base power of 95 is not exactly going to OHKO anything unless it's 4x effective or dealing with something frail.
Lol and how many offensive pokemon arent EXACTLY this? Garchomp, dragonite, lucario, thundurus, landorus, gengar, tornadus-t, genesect, mega gyarados, tyranitar, keldeo, charizard x, landorus-t, kyurem black, hydreigon, latios, conkeldurr... should i go on or inst that enough to convice you this is the best revenge killer in the game? Did i mention he is faster than scarf garchomp?

I personally feel that Mandibuzz should be moved up from a B+ to an A-. The most common set on Mandibuzz is Physical defensive, but I run Specially defensive and simply put it walls everything that doesnt have a strong SE STAB on it.

Scarf Rotom

252 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 150-176 (35.3 - 41.5%) -- 76.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 188-224 (44.3 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only team support it needs is a spinner because Mandibuzz can just roost away that damage. Mandibuzz isnt switching into a scarf rotom-w, but those were just for purpose of calcs, and it can stay in if a Rotom-W comes in on it.

(I feel like I just made no sense)

Mandibuzz for A-

Rotom-H for B+ Rank

Rotom-H is an excellent pokemon who has received a lot of subtle buffs this gen. Though it may seem like Rotom-H is outclassed by Rotom-W, this really isn't the case if you take advantage of Rotom-H's differences from its brokenS-Rank counterpart. I find things easier to read in bullet form so:

-Rotom-H resists Ice, Fire, Electric, Grass, Fairy, Steel, Ground, Flying, Bug
-This gives it resistances to both U-Turn and Volt Switch
-As well as making it one of the only pokemon in the game that resists BoltBeam
-This makes it one of the best counters to Genesect in the game
-Rotom-H's rocks weakness is somewhat mitigated by Defog
-Will-O-Wisp buff
-Excellent offensive stab that gives it neutral coverage on almost everything
-Checks/Counters M Mawile, M Charizard Y, M Venusaur, Trevenant, Breloom, Aegislash, Talonflame, Thundurus-I, Landorus-I, M Pinsir, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Mamoswine, Skarmory, Bisharp. Can burn most other things.
-Can run the same annoying sets as Rotom-W

I'm not going to argue that Rotom-W is a better pokemon overall, but Rotom-H has more than enough advantages to warrant its use in OU depending on what the rest of your team needs. I believe B-Rank's description fits Rotom-H perfectly.

S-rank. I never seen Gengar as anything above a solid A or high B before, and thought it would be kept this way, but somehow, Gamefreak decided to give this guy a boost. No, I'm not talking about Gengarite, but non-resisted Shadow Ball for Steel Types. It's not for its potential to sweep...

I've never seen Gengar as a sweeper or even a revenge killer (let's not forget its speed). What it does is put a dent in almost everything it comes in on, especially if it's anything that is either setting up or using support moves, and if you're investing in bulk for the latter, Gengar will just taunt you or create a substitute. What this means is you can now use the Taunt/Disable|Shadow Ball|Sludge Bomb|Substitute moveset on Ferrothorn with little fear. I think any Pokemon that can cripple Ferrothorn and hurt it with bad with neutral damage should turn some more heads.

The only Pokemon I have found to be able to somewhat mitigate Gengar's presence (granted it doesn't have taunt) are Blissey, Chansey, and Mandibuzz. Togekiss's new Fairy/Flying typing could make it a nice special wall, but with this transition, it substitutes neutral damage from Focus Blast and non-STAB damage from SE Thunderbolt with SE STAB dmg from Sludge Bomb. I have not tried Dragalge, however, I feel that a team that would need to have Gengar taken out that much would not be a team, like a team with Mandibuzz, that could function around Dragalge. Sure you have Aegislash, but I guess that's why it's also S-rank. 9 times out of 10, my SashGar beats your Aegis.

Just from the fact that Gengar has a stab move that is much more viable than BW2. When you've been an A-rank all your life and the metagame gets better for you with one type not resisting one or your STABS and another type being weak to your other STAB, it's time to rank up.

As I'm sure has been stated already, some of the pokemon don't deserve their ranks in the list currently, and while there are many pokes that aren't on the list that could be ranked, I think it's more essential to rank a particular group of OU pokes 1st, the right way, before moving on to more suggestions. That's just my opinion though, and I'll state which pokemon need to be demoted or ranked up:

Talonflame: S > A+/A - Thing is scary ONLY when you run nothing but a hyper offensive team, which isn't indicative of a smart team builder. It's also a one trick pony that's 4x weak to the most common hazard in the meta, and can be OHKO'd by nearly all super effective hits from most of the OU pokes. It can't sweep teams without aid either. It NEEDS to pick off weakened foes to be dangerous, otherwise it'll hit something hard then die in return, thus it can't mitigate its own flaws and relies too much on its teammates to take hits for it. It's still a threat, but simply not on the same level as MegaLuke, RotomW, Genesect, etc, meaning it shouldn't be in the same tier.
Charizard X: A+ > A - Maybe I haven't faced many Charizard X's, but I've never been swept by one, which in the other case I have been from Char Y. Both are rather slow, with the only thing going for them is the guessing game it takes to figure out which mega version they have. Regardless, I think CharX is outclassed by Chomp. A simple EQ or Outrage can OHKO, and Garchomp out-speeds it, and can hold an item, and doesn't take a mega slot. Charizard leads are also fairly predictable since they never want to come in on SR to mega up. Thus, CharX should be bumped down a bit since it's not on the level of Chomp.
MVenusaur: S - This I can sorta agree with, both from 1st hand experience and against. This thing is a monster with a movepool so versatile that can sweep, or debilitate opponents and live forever. On top of that, its prior form in the sun was already a monster back in the day, and while weather has been nerfed, it can still be dangerous, especially when used with other fire pokemon. Its only weaknesses are flying types and psychic types, the latter being practically non-existent, and timid MegaZam only has 12.5% chance to OHKO the bold variant of megaV with Psychic. Talonflame and Tornadus-T pose a threat, but can't guarantee a OHKO against the respective defensive variants, and can be put to sleep the turn after, or, in Talonflame's case, be OHKO by HP Rock with some SpA investment. If it ever gets ranked down it shouldn't go any lower than A+.

I'll comment on more pokemon later but for now these are what caught my attention immediately.

Ah these threads are always interesting. Glad to see the OU subforum got one.

The only change here I would like is to move Landorus-T => A+ rank.

It is bulky with intimidate, has a big offensive presence and can set up stealth rocks. It is a very solid pokemon and I find it is very useful in every match I use it in.

Talonflame: Contrary to popular belief, Talonflame is not a one-trick pony. It is a very good revenge killer, cleaner, late-game sweeper, and stallbreaker (don't diss the Bulk Up set until you try it). The only thing is that Rock-types stop it from doing anything, but it does have U-Turn and Will-O-Wisp. WoW is a nice option on the CB set to catch Tyranitar by surprise. It's amazing when paired with the right team, but it needs support to wreck teams.

S-rank. I never seen Gengar as anything above a solid A or high B before, and thought it would be kept this way, but somehow, Gamefreak decided to give this guy a boost. No, I'm not talking about Gengarite, but non-resisted Shadow Ball for Steel Types. It's not for its potential to sweep...

I've never seen Gengar as a sweeper or even a revenge killer (let's not forget its speed). What it does is put a dent in almost everything it comes in on, especially if it's anything that is either setting up or using support moves, and if you're investing in bulk for the latter, Gengar will just taunt you or create a substitute. What this means is you can now use the Taunt/Disable|Shadow Ball|Sludge Bomb|Substitute moveset on Ferrothorn with little fear. I think any Pokemon that can cripple Ferrothorn and hurt it with bad with neutral damage should turn some more heads.

The only Pokemon I have found to be able to somewhat mitigate Gengar's presence (granted it doesn't have taunt) are Blissey, Chansey, and Mandibuzz. Togekiss's new Fairy/Flying typing could make it a nice special wall, but with this transition, it substitutes neutral damage from Focus Blast and non-STAB damage from SE Thunderbolt with SE STAB dmg from Sludge Bomb. I have not tried Dragalge, however, I feel that a team that would need to have Gengar taken out that much would not be a team, like a team with Mandibuzz, that could function around Dragalge. Sure you have Aegislash, but I guess that's why it's also S-rank. 9 times out of 10, my SashGar beats your Aegis.

Just from the fact that Gengar has a stab move that is much more viable than BW2. When you've been an A-rank all your life and the metagame gets better for you with one type not resisting one or your STABS and another type being weak to your other STAB, it's time to rank up.
Lol no I don't think so. Gengar doesn't have anything going for it other than the ability to run Disable. Gengar also doesn't hit hard enough, compared to Keldeo's Specs-boosted Hydro Pump, Latios' Draco Meteor or ZardY's sun boosted Fire Blast, all of which reside comfortably in A tier. Not to mention Gengar is laughably frail that a non-STAB Knock Off from a base 100 attack mon will kill it.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 260-308 (99.2 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Not really. It can be unpredictable due to its movepool, but a base power of 95 is not exactly going to OHKO anything unless it's 4x effective or dealing with something frail. Lucario, Genesect, and Aegislash all have monstrous attack power complimented with their great abilities. Deoxys-s has an ability that is garbage when paired up with his bulk and offensive stats that don't even hit 100. When people lead with Deoxys-s, it's usually going to be a suicide lead or a dual screener. If it's saved for later, it's usually going to be an offensive variant. An offensive Deoxys-s is only going to be threatening if your whole team is weakened and none of them run priority (in other words, very unlikely).
Deoxys-S's base 95 offensive stats are deceptive. Unlike other revenge killers, Deoxys-S is doesn't need to run Choice Scarf to be fast enough, so it can run Life Orb. With LO factored in, fully invested neutral-natured Deoxys-S reaches the equivalent of about 137 base (Special) Attack, making it stronger than Timid Alakazam. Not to mention, it's faster than Scarf Garchomp, can switch moves, and has the insanely powerful STAB Psycho Boost. It has a very wide offensive movepool, so you can customize it to be able to revenge almost anything you want it to. It's also nearly impossible to predict what set it's running before you potentially lose one of your Pokemon one turn 1 to what you think is your opponent's hazard setter. This is also completely disregarding its role as the best hazard setter and best screens setter in the metagame. To me, Deoxys-S is a clear S-rank. (Also, it's Deoxys-S, so S rank is the only suitable place for it)

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Nominating Cloyster and Avalugg for B+ rank.
Cloyster is still a dangerous lategame sweeper and its physical bulk is more valuable now in a metagame where priority attacks are everywhere, Vacuum Wave being the only priority move that threatens it.
Its worst weakness from BW, SR, is also handled more easily so it finds more opportunities to set up.

Avalugg is a tremendously bulky physical wall that will put a complete stop to any physical setup sweeper by phazing or outright KOing them. It requires spin/defog support to be effective though, which fits the definition of B-rank.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lol no I don't think so. Gengar doesn't have anything going for it other than the ability to run Disable. Gengar also doesn't hit hard enough, compared to Keldeo's Specs-boosted Hydro Pump, Latios' Draco Meteor or ZardY's sun boosted Fire Blast, all of which reside comfortably in A tier. Not to mention Gengar is laughably frail that a non-STAB Knock Off from a base 100 attack mon will kill it.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 260-308 (99.2 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
pst...that's not how Huge Power works...

I don't think Gengar is S rank, but definitely A+ in my opinion. Ghost is the new Dragon, and that makes Gengar basically the new Latios. It can use an amazing Life Orb + 3 Attacks with Destiny Bond set, which I've had great success with, sports great coverage options in Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, etc., and has a bunch of support options as well. Sure, it's not bulky at all (it's quite frail), but it doesn't need to be when it has three immunities to abuse. Its power, typing, and speed make it one of the premier offensive threats, and should be A+, I think.

I'd like to nominate Mega Manectric for B- rank. It is arguably the best Mega to put on a Volturn team (Massive speed, STAB volt switch and intimidate? yes please), and its stats are perfect for fast hit-and-run. Not only that, but it makes a great Volturn core with the powerful Landorus-T, with dual intimidate and complementary typings. Lightning Rod can also give it a niche pre-Mega Evo to come in for free, though it is often best used as a lead.

I'd also like to nominate Slowking for B-/C+. For teams that need a specially defensive pivot, he's a Slowbro with the stat spread they need. Slap an assault vest on this guy, and with Regenerator and his massive coverage options, he's arguably one of the best special pivots around. However, he is pretty obviously outclassed by Slowbro in the current meta, so I don't think he deserves to be as high up as his older brother.

I dominate Gourgeist-Small to B-

Is one of the best Sub-Seeder pokemons for OU, its ability to outspeed a great variety of pokemons
is awesome thanks to its 99 base speed (like excandrill, gyarados, dragonite, lucario before become
mega, some gliscor variants, rotom-w and togekiss! & yep, I really had defeated alot Togekiss using
small gourgeist).

but the most important is Will-o-wisp + leech seed + sub combination which is unique for Gourgeist
(and smeargle lol). Letting defeat its opponents lowly with burn + leech seed damage. Gourgeist has
phantom force, a good physical move that let take 1 turn more of leftover (and with burn or leech
effect).

Thanks to its type grass/ghost, making a great counter of garchomp and terrakion if you predict a
Earthquake or a Close combat and even receive a outrage/stone edge to finnally burn them (also
it helped to mantain the substitute intacted when rotom W use volt switch thanks to its grass type).

The main problem of small gourgeist for your team is that is a complete set up bait of the main
fire setup-swepeers pokemons: Talonflame, Charizard and Volcarona (ironically those 3 are weak
to stealth rock so bad lol) since are inmune to burn and can't defeat them with just leech seed
+ phantom force since can roost or just defeat gour. Other problem would be some special attackers
like Alakazam and Gengar if gourgest is not behind of a substitute to receive a shadow ball. And
like any sub seeder, can be stopped with taunt (but phantom force can help gour to take time to
took out t he taun effect)

There were more replays of Gougeist doing its job when Mega Kangaskan was OU but are deleted :<
(even there was one where took more of 100 turns since my opponent had a cleric vaporeon that
was using infinetly wish + heal beall.....so much that we can lost the count xD)
But I have this good recent battle replay to show small gour in action!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73066700

and this replays show it too (but here is clear some bad moves from my opponent and my team
in general sucks, except to small-gour of course xD)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-71838608

This is completely incorrect, Sylveon has the ability to learn both Heal Bell and Moonblast at the moment, Moonblast is a level up move for Sylveon, so i don't know how you can say there's no way for it to learn it even if you're talking about a prepokebank metagame (this viability thread is for postpokebank for future reference, pokebank was released for just enough time in japan a few days ago for a sizable amount of stuff to get transferred, although its still not here in other countries. Even though it does get Moonblast, i just don't see a reason why you'd use Moonblast over Pixilate Hyper Voice Thanks to Pixilate, Hyper Voice essentially becomes becomes a fairy-type move and therefore recieves STAB, and gets a 1.3% power boost too, giving it the equivalent about 117 BP+STAB, making it significantly stronger than Moonblast from Florges could ever be. As for Heal Bell, Sylveon's pre evolution Eevee is capable of learning the move (along with Hyper Voice) via past generation tutors, so you can't say that Sylveon is incapable of using that either.
Okay, i'll be honest this is dumb of me. I probably looked at an earlier build of Sylveon at the time so I didn't know that Moonblast was there. I know that Heal Bell wasn't on Sylveon in the first place due to Heal Bell being locked away from the earlier generations from a chain that wasn't available for Kalos, until now. So i'll apologize for feeding false information, I didn't see the information right. So to make everything better, i'll just replace Florges and have in, Sylveon for B. Sidenote: I suck at Proofreading some things. >>;

Lol dude... I hate to break it to ya but Azumarill is base 150 Attack xD

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Many people in this thread have argued that Talonflame isn't that great since it's base attack stat is a measly 81. This is flawed logic, and I will demonstrate just how flawed it is in the following post. Talonflame actually reaches a high attack stat when utilizing its most common set, Adamant Choice Band. An adamant Talonflame reaches an attack stat of 287, and with choice band this becomes 430.5.

Enter Kyurem-B. Kyurem-B has the fourth highest attack stat in the game, only behind Deoxys-Attack and mega forms (M-Mewtwo X and M-Heracross). In order to make the comparison to Talonflame appropriate, we will examine Kyurem-B's fastest set, Choice Scarf with a jolly nature- a set which, like Talonflame, is excellent for revenge killing. A jolly, choice scarfed Kyurem-B has an attack stat of 439.

Compared to Talonflame, Kyurem-B's attack stat is only 439-430.5 = 8.5 points higher.

However, even when Kyurem-B is equipped with a choice scarf and has a jolly nature, Talonflame outspeeds Kyurem-B due to priority.

Also, it should be noted that, even with an adamant nature, Talonflame's speed stat is still higher than that of any timid/jolly pokemon with a Speed Stat of 110 or lower. Therefore, the only attacks in the game which out-speed Adamant Talonflame's Brave Bird are priority attacks used by pokemon with a positive-natured Speed Stat greater than 110 or Extreme Speed.

I took a look at this to find Pokemon with speed stats greater than 110 who have access to priority:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_base_stats_(Generation_VI-present)

The only relevant threats appear to be jolly Mega-Absol with Sucker punch, Jolly/Timid Mega-Lucario with (lol) bullet punch or vacuum wave, Jolly Weavile with Ice Shard, or Timid Thundurus-I with prankster Thunder Wave. That's it. All the others either lack priority or are useless RU/NU pokemon. So basically, unless you're one of these pokemon or are using extreme-speed, you're getting hit with a Brave Bird. Remember, because of priority, Talonflame is still out-speeding the likes of Deoxys-speed and the fastest of choice-scarf users, such as scarfed Latios. And it does so whilst hitting with a Brave Bird that has roughly equivalent power to scarfed Kyurem-B's outrage.

Therefore, we can conclude that Adamant, Choice Band Talonflame (by far it's most common set) hits with nearly the same power as choice scarfed Kyurem-B's outrage, yet Talonflame still manages to out-speed nearly every fucking thing in the game that isn't extreme-speed or the borderline meaningless exceptions listed above.

pst...that's not how Huge Power works...

I don't think Gengar is S rank, but definitely A+ in my opinion. Ghost is the new Dragon, and that makes Gengar basically the new Latios. It can use an amazing Life Orb + 3 Attacks with Destiny Bond set, which I've had great success with, sports great coverage options in Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, etc., and has a bunch of support options as well. Sure, it's not bulky at all (it's quite frail), but it doesn't need to be when it has three immunities to abuse. Its power, typing, and speed make it one of the premier offensive threats, and should be A+, I think.
Oh :[ Honestly I just remembered my Defensive Scizor(def and hp EVs) OHKOing Gengar with Knock Off. Anyway, I should've used a different benchmark for comparison. But you guys see my point though :[

Gengar doesn't have anything that puts it above other special attackers in A tier.

Many people in this thread have argued that Talonflame isn't that great since it's base attack stat is a measly 81. This is flawed logic, and I will demonstrate just how flawed it is in the following post. Talonflame actually reaches a high attack stat when utilizing its most common set, Adamant Choice Band. An adamant Talonflame reaches an attack stat of 287, and with choice band this becomes 430.5.

Enter Kyurem-B. Kyurem-B has the fourth highest attack stat in the game, only behind Deoxys-Attack and mega forms (M-Mewtwo X and M-Heracross). In order to make the comparison to Talonflame appropriate, we will examine Kyurem-B's fastest set, Choice Scarf with a jolly nature- a set which, like Talonflame, is excellent for revenge killing. A jolly, choice scarfed Kyurem-B has an attack stat of 439.

Compared to Talonflame, Kyurem-B's attack stat is only 439-430.5 = 8.5 points higher.

However, even when Kyurem-B is equipped with a choice scarf and has a jolly nature, Talonflame outspeeds Kyurem-B due to priority.

Also, it should be noted that, even with an adamant nature, Talonflame's speed stat is still higher than that of any timid/jolly pokemon with a Speed Stat of 110 or lower. Therefore, the only attacks in the game which out-speed Adamant Talonflame's Brave Bird are priority attacks used by pokemon with a positive-natured Speed Stat greater than 110 or Extreme Speed.

I took a look at this to find Pokemon with speed stats greater than 110 who have access to priority:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_base_stats_(Generation_VI-present)

The only relevant threats appear to be jolly Mega-Absol with Sucker punch, Jolly/Timid Mega-Lucario with (lol) bullet punch or vacuum wave, Jolly Weavile with Ice Shard, or Timid Thundurus-I with prankster Thunder Wave. That's it. All the others either lack priority or are useless RU/NU pokemon. So basically, unless you're one of these pokemon or are using extreme-speed, you're getting hit with a Brave Bird. Remember, because of priority, Talonflame is still out-speeding the likes of Deoxys-speed and the fastest of choice-scarf users, such as scarfed Latios. And it does so whilst hitting with a Brave Bird that has roughly equivalent power to scarfed Kyurem-B's outrage.

Therefore, we can conclude that Adamant, Choice Band Talonflame (by far it's most common set) hits with nearly the same power as choice scarfed Kyurem-B's outrage, yet Talonflame still manages to out-speed nearly every fucking thing in the game that isn't extreme-speed or the borderline meaningless exceptions listed above.
You make a lot of really good points that I myself have also explored but you forget one thing: 4x SR weakness. I'm not saying this makes Talonflame "not that great" but it certainly keeps it away from the S rank and I'd call it an A+ because it needs defog or Rapid Spin.

Also can someone please explain to me why the OP says M Venusaur is S rank?

Last edited:
Your whole argument revolves around the fact that Talonflame is a one-trick pony. You also compare Kyurem-B and Talonflame, which is honestly stupid because they have completely different STAB and the reason Kyurem-B's attack stat is stupidly good is because he also has STAB that literally can 2HKO whatever it wants. If you want to compare them, at least use Kyurem-B's choice band set, which is where the stupidly strong attack stat comes from. You also neglect the fact that it loses 50% on the switch-in and both of its STAB moves are recoil moves, and it only really uses U-Turn and Steel Wing otherwise.

There was no ranking when I searched it, so I'm nominating Rotom-H for at least B Rank. Single best counter to Talonflame out there, can spread paralysis and burn, while being immune to both. Can handle a plethora of physical attackers with it's bulk and W-o-W. Also spreads paralysis, which helps. Major downsides being weak to SR, only having Pain Split for reliable coverage, and being weak to Water moves. It isn't A-Rank for sure, but I've been using it some success currently and it helps slow down Mega-Lucario and completely shut down Talonflame, two extremely relevant threats.

I saw a request for someone with knowledge of Mega Blastoise to rank it, and it isn't on the list (I didn't look through all the pages so sorry if someone else already did) so I figured I could do it.
B- Rank (if we bring that back, C+ Rank if not).
It is one of the bulkier Rapid Spinners, and has access to a powerful Dark Pulse which lets it get past ghost types. It also has a 20% chance of Confusion with Water Pulse, which becomes equal in strength to Surf and is a reliable alternative over Scald. Dark Pulse, Water Move, Rapid Spin, filler (usually Aura Sphere or Dragon Pulse here, Aura Sphere has better coverage with Dark Pulse so I usually use that) is a typical moveset. Insane bulk lets it make up for lack of recovery and turn it into a bulky attacker more than a bulky supportmon. It's not great, but it's useful to those who need a bulky water and a rapid spinner.

Last edited:
I saw a request for someone with knowledge of Mega Blastoise to rank it, and it isn't on the list (I didn't look through all the pages so sorry if someone else already did) so I figured I could do it.
B- Rank (if we bring that back, C+ Rank if not).
It is one of the bulkier Rapid Spinners, and has access to a powerful Dark Pulse which lets it get past ghost types. It also has a 20% chance of Confusion with Water Pulse, which becomes equal in strength to Surf and is a reliable alternative over Scald. Dark Pulse, Water Move, Rapid Spin, filler (usually Aura Sphere or Dragon Pulse here, Aura Sphere has better coverage with Dark Pulse so I usually use that) is a typical moveset. Insane bulk lets it make up for lack of recovery and turn it into a bulky attacker more than a bulky supportmon. It's not great, but it's useful to those who need a bulky water and a rapid spinner.
I absolutely agree with Mega Blastpise being B- (possible even B+ imo).

One time I made a team based off of Mega Bastoise+Talonflame... it's ridiculous how much and how well those pokemon synergize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)