CAP 16 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
CommanderZorvox: SOOOO CUUUUUUUTE!!!! <3 I love it! I swear, a pre-evolution of Badgherb would be the cutest thing ever. I love the idea, and I love the thought you put into it. The only complaint I have is small: it doesn't seem Dark enough to me, but it definitely works for the concept, and it looks cute to boot! I love it.
Hm…I can only agree with the dark type comment to an extent. While his appearance may not be immediately devilish, I think he could still fit in with the dark-type gang.
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8028/darkgang.png
Badgers are notorious for being very aggressive animals, and in Japanese folklore, badgers (or Mujina) can be a type of mischievous, shape-shifting demon.

Line art of my concept for CAP5: A long-tongued fruit bat! It doesn't look that great now, when it has no colors or shading, though. I'll post it with colors in a later post. Still a WIP.

The concept of fruit bat came easy enough. Finding a way to incorporate Grass in the design was a bit more difficult, though. I decided to go with making its ears leaves.

Comments and critique welcome.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus

Time for me to toss my hat into the ring, but mind that this is a preliminary sketch and a rough one at that. My concept: sloth. Sloths are dark and malevolent creatures, evil beyond compare and excellent for this concept. Just look at their malicious grin, those beady hateful eyes, those enormous fleshripping claws, and you know the truth. You know there is a reason they are the name of a deadly sin.

Also, they grow algae and mold in their fur, so grass type.

A depiction of murder sloth in a more familiar context.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Harle, you've got my favorite designs so far, but it's not a color change that was really in order. I really liked the huge, exaggerated lilypad with a face that the first idea had, a marriage of the two concepts is probably in order. It would give a really cool and pokemon-like feel to it.

I'm loving the malevolent sloth and his malevolent floral bacne (those are flowers, yes?)... Or berries? I can't really tell. Sloths are always great. That thing has the most sinister face of all these entries, heh.

I also like the fruit bat idea, though I think it needs more than leaf ears to justify its grass typing. Maybe taking the moves that grass types typically use into consideration can help you find inspiration? *shrug* Either way, dark type fruit bad is good. I can picture it greedily hoarding fruit and snapping wildly at anything coming near its precious fruit.

Harle, you've got my favorite designs so far, but it's not a color change that was really in order. I really liked the huge, exaggerated lilypad with a face that the first idea had, a marriage of the two concepts is probably in order. It would give a really cool and pokemon-like feel to it.
I don't know what to do with it really, but I do know I'm going to draw it again... I know there's something there, I just can't find the right balance... For the record though, lily pads can be orange, hehehe.... Someone mentioned something about no orange lily pads... They exist! Hm. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aside from the established artists who make fantastic work and everyone is commenting on and critiquing, I've gotta say that this time around in particular I'm seeing a lot of great submissions from first-time or at least more inexperienced users. Keep up the good work everyone.

I particularly like Harle's, though without the autumn recoloring, or at least a modified one. Play around with color. It's a great concept.

I also like Magistrum's. Be sure to follow this rule from the OP: "It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way." Right now the grassy arms pretty clearly break that. Bark, as you were thinking anyway, is a much better solution.

I decided to make the grass portion much more prominent. Any tips to make the dark typing more evident would be appreciated.
Also, sorry about the sloppy line art.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I also like Magistrum's. Be sure to follow this rule from the OP: "It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way." Right now the grassy arms pretty clearly break that. Bark, as you were thinking anyway, is a much better solution.
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I sacked the grass-fur, and came up with these:

Still fooling around with the colors, especially on the leaves, ears and fingers. I will experiment for an autumn color. [Edit:done! Will think a bit on which colors to pursue though]

@shanimanim: My gahd Torterra will wet himself when facing your capmon! Although, as you said, a more evident dark typing reference would do it wonders. As it is now it would pass for a grass/dragon more than a grass/dark would. I dunno, maybe the dino part can be made by bones?

I really don't see what the hullabaloo is about CAP contenders like Wyverii's and Shanimanim's not looking dark enough/too dragonish. Charizard, Aerodactly, and Gyarados look like dragons, and they're not dragon types. Its good enough for Lance. Crawdaunt doesn't look dark at all.

Shanimanim, I really like yours (like so much), so I'm really worried that it might be a little busy towards the dino head end of things, making it difficult to sprite. But it might just be due to the sketchy nature. Love how you moved the eyes to the tree, though.

The top 4 designs for me so far:

Shanimanim: Many people have complimented you so far on this, and that is completely right. This is an awesome idea, it really brings out the typing of dark and grass. The fact that the eyes are on the tree and that's clearly the portion of the pokemon that thinks really develops the idea that the dino part can hide and surprise people walking past. Very evil tree.

Magistrum: I'm really surprised that nobody has commented on this because it is a really great design. It's got everything, it's a basic enough form that as CAP5 develops and we know more about it, it could be modified to fit the abilities and stats we decide for it. The Aku Aku/Uka Uka Mask going on calls to mind ancient tree evil spirit so you've got that down to a tee. Absolutely great. Could even be an ancient guardian of the forest that was corrupted or grew evil and bitter with the mass deforestation. Idk, cool design :)

Yilx: Would love to see more of the vampire heart. It's totally different to a lot of the designs that have been floating around and I'd love to see some supporting artwork for it as well. As a smaller design it's got a greater ability to change to fit the upcoming discussions and polls. The dark typing is subtle and I think that's a positive thing as dark typing that's too in your face in terms of colour or symbolism can look gaudy. This is great and the eye coming out from the heart of the flower makes it look very malevolent.

NastyJungle: You've received a lot of rap for this design and I think it is utterly fabulous. It's original, plays off mythology and shows that you've put a lot of thought into it and it is very well designed and drawn. I don't think that the Gold colouring says anything other than Dark in terms of the design concept. Gold is money and money is greed essentially which is the point that you're trying to get across. People need to stop worrying about others not thinking it looks dark enough. If you read the description and justification, it's all incredibly clear. It's a great design that holds great promise. It's very open to slight additions or changes depending on the upcoming polls too. Most importantly, it doesn't say straight away "Physical Attacker" or "Wall". It's understated and superb.

I know I'm just embarrassing myself here; my concept's not new, has no definite way of locomotion (except flying or crawling maybe) and is on paper. I do have a tablet, but I will probably draw a "good" digital version if this gets any attention at all, which I really doubt it will. Oh well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

It is yet another cornmon. Except that its arms are bound like a straitjacket and it resembles a psychotic killer. I actually have a story to explain why it is in that state. Anyway, I had an idea that it would make enough food during sunlight to get enough energy to break free, then I realized that it had no leaves at all haha. Of course, it using its own kernels as a source of energy is a stupid concept too haha.

Hollymon: I don't particularly like your first one (the green one) as it is a bit bland, and doesn't show off the Dark typing. As for your second one, it looks pretty epic. I like the idea of one blade-arm and one hand-arm. It is fairly unique, and gives it a wide range of capabilities. Definitely go with green and purple, and if you use red make it a very dark red so it doesn't seem Fire-like.
Thanks! You're the only person who's commented lol so here is the first coloured version! shall i change the colours or design?

My favourite designs as it stands (in no particular order):

Magistrum - just a great concept that I really like, deserves more recognition.
NastyJungle - Again, obviously a lot of thought and work has gone into it. The style of art really throws me though, It's hard for me to think of it as a mon.
Shanimanim - Awesome originality.
CommanderZorvo - I actullay had the idea of drawing a badger to begin with, seeing this made me rechoose because I didn't think I could best it. Great stuff.

Also, I've tried out a colour scheme on my baboon shaman:

I'm quite happy with the design as it is so I'm probably going to press on with some supporting material and a final submission depending on what you guys think...

I decided to make the grass portion much more prominent. Any tips to make the dark typing more evident would be appreciated.
Also, sorry about the sloppy line art.
honestly the darkness of the more animal-like part and the obvious "sneaky predator" design do enough to distinguish this as a partial dark type IMO.

Also, random question, since there are existing dark/grass type pokémon, would it be acceptable to make one's pokémon sbmission look like, for example, a Cacturne evolution or a Nuzzleaf alternative evolution, or is that something that has to be decided somewhere else in the iteration process?

Bull of Heaven

Also, random question, since there are existing dark/grass type pokémon, would it be acceptable to make one's pokémon sbmission look like, for example, a Cacturne evolution or a Nuzzleaf alternative evolution, or is that something that has to be decided somewhere else in the iteration process?
It can look like one, but it can't be one, so I'm not sure what the point would be.

Dracoyoshi's snake is my favourite so far, closely followed by Nastyjungle's golden calf. The snake's red apple is a nice touch, since it stands out in the otherwise green and brown design, making it look as important as what it symbolizes. The only suggestion I might make for the golden calf is that the Grass typing be made a little more obvious, since Grass is normally one of the least subtle types in a pokemon's design. I guess the calf isn't any less clear about its typing than Sawsbuck, though, so it's good as-is.

collol. your cornmon is awesome! And it doesn't necessarily need an obvious way to move (look at geodude). But that generally indicates a horrid speed stat, which for the purpose of most CAPs (since they all have top tier speed (or a way to boost to top tier speed) for whatever it is their role is) may be looked negatively upon. However, locomotion isn't required for CAP art, and we don't really have to concern ourselves with stats.

You have a gold mine right there tho. Love the sociopathic head tilt you gave it.

In spectacular fashion, Myaora strides into the limelight once more! This time to render his soul-crushing verdict, are you prepared for the annihalation? With great pride, I present to you Mya's TOP 5 CAP DESIGNS 2013:

1. Vampire Heart. A wonderfully malicious design, without adhering to the tropes commonly associated with the type, like a furrowed brow and dark fur. The Joker-like smile sealed the deal for me, an obvious winner and a great design in its own right.

2. Pan Pokemon. An early sketch, as we can all see, but a fantastic little doodle anyway. I've always been a fan of Pan, and the child-like characteristics really work for this CAP. Very nice!

3. Garlic Bulp. It's just very funny, very much a Wario-worthy Cap. The moustache in particular really gave me a chuckle, not a fan of the size of the paws though.. it looks a little clumpy.

4. Golden Calf. The design is perhaps a little too undefined for me. It neither seems strong nor weak, yet looks kinda taciturn because of it. Still, very well drawn and I love the symbolism on display here.

5. Harle's CAP. Very elegant, I like it a lot. The design stil seems a little jagged right now though, and something about the curl near where its private parts would usually be turns me off.

Will reveal my latest creation, I revamped my design in its entirety, as soon as possible.

Shanimanim that concept is amazing. Usually people take animals and give them plant like qualities or plants and give them sentient or human qualities, but this is something super refreshing and dark. I love it, great improvement over your first one, and I liked that one quite a bit.

Because I'm a bleeding idiot who gives people too much choice, here are some colour variants on garlicmon:

three votes so far for the left one!
and Calad at least finish coloring your tiny goat before deciding to do something else! out of all the goatment we've got, yours was the most well-made!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Got my pen for my tablet in the mail today! I haven't drawn for a few months, but I wanted to hop to it and just putz around with my CAP5 design. These are just some rough sketches, but check it out:

One change I definitely want to bring in is making the scythes more evident. They weren't as obvious in the last design, but it's something I really want to accentuate now that we're going more dark-themed. I've even debated giving him an actual scythe, much like the Grim Reaper himself to further the imagery. I'm also debating between taller and shorter, different cloak designs, and changing up the color palette. Lemme know what you think; I'm are a pretty open stage at the moment.

Oh also earlier sketch

So this is the final product with shade and whatnot, I'm gunna make another drawing except make it way more dynamic

So yeah, comments and criticism appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)