Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Battle Mechanics Research (Read Post #2)

Adding on to the discussion, it appears that Photon Geyser ignores abilities in a similar manner to Moongeist Beam and Sunsteel Strike. Kris and I tested that Photon Geyser was able to OHKO a Pokemon through Sturdy, as an example.
Is it the same for LTBTS? I haven't seen a statement on that part. I assume so, but confirmation would be nice.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is it the same for LTBTS? I haven't seen a statement on that part. I assume so, but confirmation would be nice.
Light That Burns the Sky
This attack inflicts Attack or Sp. Atk damage—\nwhichever stat is higher for the user, Necrozma. \nThis move ignores the target’s Ability.

from the second pastebin in the OP of this thread.

Last edited:
Yeah I was going to edit my post but got ninja'd :). I thought Photon Geyser and LTBTS had the same text but no.
I haven't seen videos of it hitting through Sturdy but I guess this description is proof enough.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Haven’t been able to test it yet, but this redditor is claiming Ion Deluge is broken
Hahaha, that's amazing. It fails if you move first, it fails if you move last, it just fails all the time. Meanwhile, Plasma Fists' Ion Deluge effect works perfectly in all cases.

The move tutor bug, Wide Guard with single-target Z-Moves, and now this? Really wondering if anyone bothered doing quality assurance for these games.

Move Tutor bug?
From what I'm reading on a quick search, if you teach a Pokemon a tutor move when it doesn't have all 4 move slots filled, it will overwrite the first move instead of filling an empty slot.

PS: I'm not sure if it's just that I don't understand the wording in the OP, but does Photon Geyser take into account stage modifications? Say, if an untrained Timid Ultra Necrozma uses Swords Dance, would Photon Geyser deal physical damage? Or does it only take the unboosted stat into account?

Last edited:

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
From what I'm reading on a quick search, if you teach a Pokemon a tutor move when it doesn't have all 4 move slots filled, it will overwrite the first move instead of filling an empty slot.

PS: I'm not sure if it's just that I don't understand the wording in the OP, but does Photon Geyser take into account stage modifications? Say, if an untrained Timid Ultra Necrozma uses Swords Dance, would Photon Geyser deal physical damage? Or does it only take the unboosted stat into account?
If that swords dance makes its atk higher than its sp atk then it uses the atk stat and deal physical damage.

The move tutor bug, Wide Guard with single-target Z-Moves, and now this? Really wondering if anyone bothered doing quality assurance for these games.
There's also a non-move related bug that sometimes happen with Litten during starter selecting, where right after you choose Litten and the game ask you if you want to nickname it, instead of asking, both the upper and lower screen would just go black. You can't do anything other than turning off the 3DS.

So yeah, I am also curious if they even do any quality assurance to begin with, if there's a bug already at the very beginning of the game......

If you use a boosted Stomping Tantrum, then get instructed, is the second Stomping Tantrum also boosted?

Edit: removed the second part, this thread isn't for competitive discussion and that includes the viability of moves, natures, abilities, Pokemon, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you test the rest of the moves that call other moves, namely Assist, Copycat, Me First, Metronome, Mimic, Mirror Move, Nature Power, and Sleep Talk? Also, does successfully getting the Z-effect out of a status move while the move itself fails still count as a fail?

Edit: what about moves like Psych Up, Guard Swap, and Power Swap that always animate even if they didn't actually accomplish anything?
If a move called by any move, that calls other moves, fails then Stomping Tantrum gets boosted. And just like Splash and Imprison, if Psych Up, Guard Swap and Power Swap animate but don't accomplish anything, Stomping Tantrum doesn't get a boost.

Z-Effects have no influence over Stomping Tantrum. A Z-Effect that doesn't go off, does not get Stomping Tantrum a boost, and a succesfull effect on a failed move does not deny Stomping Tantrum a boost.

If you use a boosted Stomping Tantrum, then get instructed, is the second Stomping Tantrum also boosted?
I can't believe I didn't test this after the conclusion of the Fake Out test.

Yes! Both Stomping Tantrums will get a boost, provided that Stomping Tantrum and Instruct are used in the same Round. (Also even if the Instruct comes first, both will get a boost. That of course means most of the times, that the failed move in the last round was another Stomping Tantrum. Not recommended, as Instruct will still assign the same old target which Stomping Tantrum failed against in the first place)

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Not really a question about USUM's mechanics, but the Gen 7 overall :
If the opponent switches, does Core Enforcer suppress the ability of the new Pokemon? Or is it only if the opponent's Pokemon has used a move and the user of Core Enforcer hits it after that?

This is quite unclear, so i ask.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Not really a question about USUM's mechanics, but the Gen 7 overall :
If the opponent switches, does Core Enforcer suppress the ability of the new Pokemon? Or is it only if the opponent's Pokemon has used a move and the user of Core Enforcer hits it after that?

This is quite unclear, so i ask.
No it doesn't, all ability suppression moves only work until you switch the affected mon out.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I found this from the SM research thread, Marty could elaborate if anything was perceived to have changed since:
The Core Enforcer effect is pretty simple; it just starts the Gastro Acid effect if the target already moved the same turn you used it (i.e. the Ability still exists but has no effect for that Pokemon). I can't currently test if it's like Payback in that it doesn't start the effect if the target switched in during the turn, but I would bet that it's the same since Pokemon switching in haven't had a position in turn order since Gen 4, and thus can't have acted before or after anything. So, basically, think Payback + Gastro Acid.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Sorry, i badly explained my question, so i reformulate :
Does Core Enforcer triggers the ability suppression if the opponent's action was a switch instead of a move?

It seems to work that way on Showdown, but the description of the move doesn't say anything about that.
I found this from the SM research thread, Marty could elaborate if anything was perceived to have changed since:
Yeah, I was right; it is like Payback in that the effect doesn't happen if the Pokemon switched in the same turn. Updating PS accordingly!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)