Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stunted Evolution:

Final Stage pokemon have the type ability and moves of the the lowest pre evolution.

Has this already been done?

Bans: Single Stage pokemon
I'd remove the limit on moves, otherwise it's just Little Cup with higher stats. Without the move restriction, here are some interesting mons I found:

Masquerain is now Bug/Water with either Swift Swim or Rain Dish. The loss of Intimidate hurts, but the reduced damage from Stealth Rock and STAB on Hydro Pump make up for it.

Tyranitar is now Rock/Ground with Guts. That's some serious power right there.

Lucario and Honchkrow get Prankster for potential Copycat and Mirror Move shenanigans.

Gengar has Levitate again!

Flareon is now Normal with Adaptability. Its new typing grants two new STAB options in Return (no recoil) and Quick Attack.
Leafeon is similar, but with more speed and bulk at the cost of power and coverage.

Hydreigon now has Hustle. This increases the viability of physical and mixed sets.

Darmanitan also now has Hustle.
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 176-207 (58 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Milotic now has Swift Swim and Adaptability. This shifts it into more offensive roles.

Naganadel can probably be unbanned, as without a Dragon typing, its Devastating Drakes will be much weaker.

Aegislash can maybe be unbanned, because it can't change forms without Stance Change, but it's still stupid bulky.

Single stage mons can also be unbanned, because they no longer have the movepool advantage.

Last edited:
Not sure how to figure out my post count, so just throwing out my idea:

Chainmons (creative name pending)

Premise: every Pokemon gets access to the moves and abilities of the Pokemon mext to them in team preview.

Bans: Huge/Pure Power, Wonder Guard, contrary, and likely other abilities I can't think of would be banned from being shared (though you can have them on native Pokemon). Slaking, Reggigigas, and Archeops would have to use their native abilities, or be banned (depending on coding difficulty).

Potential bans: Kyurem-B can get much better with just a new ability or move, let alone both. Access to a strong, reliable ice stab such as icicle crash or refrigerate return would ban kb from OU, and possibly Chainmons. An example set:

Kyurem-Black (Next to Sandslash-Alola) @ dragonium z
Ability: slush rush
Adamant / jolly / naive
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Spa
- Icicle Crash
- Outrage / Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fusion Bolt

Other things to worry about: Zygarde is a great Pokemon for this meta, benefiting its team with thousand arrows, and benefiting itself with a much desired ability. As the AAA community would say, Zygarde gets put on the radar when it gets a good ability. Fur coat could be scary on Chansey, though the best user, Persian-Alola, isn't very good itself. Other abilities banned in AAA should be considered as well, though poor distribution of some abilities might make them managable, like Stake out.

Questions for the community:

Should Pokemon get access to moves and abilities from Pokemon to its left and right, or just one of them? Should moves from other Pokemon be limited? Should number of the same abilities be limited per team for diversity? Should Pokemon on the ends of team preview (first and last) share moves and abilities? Anything I missed that should be banned, or put on radar (I'm sure I did)?

Might post an example team later, since this meta revolves around team composition.

Edit: here's a team I came up with:

Azelf @ Focus sash
Ability: Moldbreaker
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- stealth rock
- taunt
- flamethrower
- earthquake

Haxorous @ Dragonium z
Ability: Moldbreaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- dragon dance
- earthquake / fire punch
- fire punch / close combat

Keldeo @ life orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- secret sword
- scald
- calm mind
- recover

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Psychic Surge -> Trace
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- psychic
- secret sword
- shadow ball
- calm mind / recover

Tapu Lele @ mind plate
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Future Sight
- Heat Wave

Necrozma @ psychic seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- rock polish
- stored power
- Moonblast
- moonlight

Pretty simple team. I expect many people would abuse immunity abilities with cores like Latios / Heatran / Ferrothorn, so Moldbreaker Azelf and Haxorous can take advantage of though. In addition, Azelf gets stealth rock up magic bounce users. The two also deal with the steel types that half of the team struggles with. Alakazam can now 1v1 TTar and Chansey, previous checks (though fur coat Chansey walls non-cm sets). Keldeo benefits a lot from this meta, and May end up in the same boat as it did in AAA. Magic Guard gives it a free life orb and an immunity to toxic damage. This means it can afford to pass on substitute, and use recover, making it a threatening setup sweeper that can't even be checked by Unaware Chansey. Lele forces a lot of switches, so I gave it Future Sight to stack two moves in one turn (try switching in on future sight and a fire move). I wasn't sure on how to finish the team, so I chose Necrozma as a cleaner. Psychic seed is procced by it's new Ability, provides bulk to set up, and boosts stored power. This is an example of why abilities may need to be limited for diversity (half of my team has the same ability).

Last edited:

Call of Winter

Banned deucer.

Premise: every Pokemon gets access to the moves and abilities of the Pokemon mext to them in team preview.

Bans: Huge/Pure Power, Wonder Guard, contrary, and likely other abilities I can't think of would be banned from being shared (though you can have them on native Pokemon). Slaking, Reggigigas, and Archeops would have to use their native abilities, or be banned (depending on coding difficulty).

Potential bans: Kyurem-B can get much better with just a new ability or move, let alone both. Access to a strong, reliable ice stab such as icicle crash or refrigerate return would ban kb from OU, and possibly Chainmons. An example set:

Adamant / jolly / naive
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Spa
- Icicle Crash
- Outrage / Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fusion Bolt

Other things to worry about: Zygarde is a great Pokemon for this meta, benefiting its team with thousand arrows, and benefiting itself with a much desired ability. As the AAA community would say, Zygarde gets put on the radar when it gets a good ability. Fur coat could be scary on Chansey, though the best user, Persian-Alola, isn't very good itself. Other abilities banned in AAA should be considered as well, though poor distribution of some abilities might make them managable, like Stake out.

Should Pokemon get access to moves and abilities from Pokemon to its left and right, or just one of them? Should moves from other Pokemon be limited? Should number of the same abilities be limited per team for diversity? Should Pokemon on the ends of team preview (first and last) share moves and abilities? Anything I missed that should be banned, or put on radar (I'm sure I did)?

Might post an example team later, since this meta revolves around team composition.
How would you balance this? I'd think the only way would be complex bans which are a no-no. I'd also think team building would be really complicated. It'd be Mergemons but what Pokémon you inherit from isn't fixed, it's volatile, making it significantly harder. It might be better if the Pokémon can only inherit one move from each of the Pokémon before and after it (so 2 moves) but I still think that might be a bit too complex.

Call of Winter

Banned deucer.
Triple STAB
It occurs to me this meta is very similar to Camo but oh well. Might as well post it anyway.

Premise: (OU based) All Pokémon gain an additional typing that is the same as the move in its first moveslot (type is visible to the opponent)

Hidden Power can't be used to add any type, it'll add Normal, same with all other moves that change type (Weather Ball, Judgment, Multi-Attack, etc.)

Potential bans: None that I can think of right now. Looked into some like Bug/Dragon/Steel types but there's none of those. (Dialga isn't usable, there are no Bug/Dragon types and no Bug/Steel type can learn a Dragon move).

Questions:
Are there are Pokemon you can think of that should be banned or are just big threats in this meta?
Is this meta too similar to Camomons?
How should Steel Dhelmise work? Should Steelworker stack with regular STAB?
Do you have a better name for this meta?

Adamant / jolly / naive
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Spa
- Icicle Crash
- Outrage / Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fusion Bolt

Might post an exampl
How would you balance this? I'd think the only way would be complex bans which are a no-no. I'd also think team building would be really complicated. It'd be Mergemons but what Pokémon you inherit from isn't fixed, it's volatile, making it significantly harder. It might be better if the Pokémon can only inherit one move from each of the Pokémon before and after it (so 2 moves) but I still think that might be a bit too complex.
I feel that restricting moves shared would be a good idea, but no complex bans would be needed. If, for example, we find that KB is too good, instead of banning it from changing its ability and/or moves, we could just ban it. No one wants to use a mon in a meta that doesn't affect it anyway. Besides, some metas do complex bans due to their nature, like Inheritance banning some Pokemon from inheriting, but not from being inherited, and vice versa.

The meta would be a little volatile, but nothing like BH, or AAA Sketchmons. At least in Chainmons, upon seeing a team, one can narrow down each Pokemon's potential moves and abilities.

I'd remove the limit on moves, otherwise it's just Little Cup with higher stats. Without the move restriction, here are some interesting mons I found:

Masquerain is now Bug/Water with either Swift Swim or Rain Dish. The loss of Intimidate hurts, but the reduced damage from Stealth Rock and STAB on Hydro Pump make up for it.

Tyranitar is now Rock/Ground with Guts. That's some serious power right there.

Lucario and Honchkrow get Prankster for potential Copycat and Mirror Move shenanigans.

Gengar has Levitate again!

Flareon is now Normal with Adaptability. Its new typing grants two new STAB options in Return (no recoil) and Quick Attack.
Leafeon is similar, but with more speed and bulk at the cost of power and coverage.

Hydreigon now has Hustle. This increases the viability of physical and mixed sets.

Darmanitan also now has Hustle.
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 176-207 (58 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Milotic now has Swift Swim and Adaptability. This shifts it into more offensive roles.

Naganadel can probably be unbanned, as without a Dragon typing, its Devastating Drakes will be much weaker.

Aegislash can maybe be unbanned, because it can't change forms without Stance Change, but it's still stupid bulky.

Single stage mons can also be unbanned, because they no longer have the movepool advantage.

Ok Changed to not restrict movepool but has this been done before at all is this too similar to camomons or aaa? Think maybe could be the middle instead? slaking would have to be banned and I don't think it would change things enough oh what about gyardos having swift swim?

also guts hitmanchan and hitmonlee if that matters shedskin dragonite? porygonz with trace? charizard is pure fire now Darmantan gets hustle if you are into that hustle nidoking that is pure poison normal fairy azurill simple camerupt?

how do you think megas should work? maybe keep the meta ability and and typing and just gain the stat boost?

Last edited:
Ok Changed to not restrict movepool but has this been done before at all is this too similar to camomons or aaa? Think maybe could be the middle instead? slaking would have to be banned and I don't think it would change things enough oh what about gyardos having swift swim?

also guts hitmanchan and hitmonlee if that matters shedskin dragonite? porygonz with trace? charizard is pure fire now Darmantan gets hustle if you are into that hustle nidoking that is pure poison normal fairy azurill simple camerupt?

how do you think megas should work? maybe keep the meta ability and and typing and just gain the stat boost?
I really don't know what to do with Megas, but Dragonite seems the most interesting of the ones you listed. It not only gets Shed Skin, but also Marvel Scale, which boosts its defense when statused. Marvel Scale along with its new pure Dragon typing should allow for a Specially Defensive Defog Roost 2 attacks set, while Shed Skin will help protect offensive sets from burns and paralysis.

Since most OU mons are single stage or otherwise unchanged, the biggest change I forsee is the death of Rain, as both Politoed and Pelipper lose Drizzle. Sun still has setters, though, and a new abuser in Grass/Psychic Chlorophyll Tall Eggy. While slower than Short Eggy (who is also pretty slow) Tall Eggy has actual Fire coverage in Flamethrower. Combined with the only Sand setters being Mega Ttar and Hippo, and Sun might see some use.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, most of these are older ideas but I was encouraged to post them, so I'll just post all four of them here. By now I know they'd be unlikely to be accepted but I want to throw them out there anyway.

Edit: All of these, besides Move Pool, are playable on ROM!

Metagame premise: All base stats of 70 and lower get doubled. (Ubers based)
Potential bans and threats: Huge Power, Pure Power, Shadow Tag and Eviolite would be banned. Otherwise, there's nothing currently banned but there are enough threats. I just picked a few random ones.
  • Castform: 140 HP / 140 Atk / 140 Def / 140 SpA / 140 SpD / 140 Spe
  • Sylveon: 95 HP / 130 Atk / 130 Def / 110 SpA / 130 SpD / 120 Spe
  • Gardevoir: 136 HP / 130 Atk / 130 Def / 125 SpA / 115 SpD / 100 Spe
  • Araquanid: 136 HP / 140 Atk / 92 Def / 100 Spa / 132 SpD / 84 Spe
  • Vibrava: 100 HP / 140 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 140 Spe
Metagame premise: The Pokemon gets fused with the Pokemon it's nicknamed after. (By naming your Pokémon after another Pokémon it gains their first Ability as an additional ability, their stats are averaged and its secondary type is taken from their primary or secondary type depending on whether it is shiny.)
Potential bans and threats:
There's a lot of things here. Haven't played it in a while, but you can use your imagination to find certain strong combinations. An obvious example would be using Tyranitar + Excadrill with Sand Stream + Sand Rush and an offensively deadly Ground / Rock typing.
  • How could this metagame plausibly allow for more direct fusions, that allow you to take any ability, for example?
  • How could this metagame do without the nickname clause, which would make it much easier to get approved (we think)?
    • If there's no way, how would people feel about putting 12 Pokemon in teambuilder, and fusing slot 1 and 2, 3 and 4, etc. You'd just take the moves you specified in one Pokemon, but otherwise this would fairly allow you to choose abilities. Additionally, you could possibly use shininess on both Pokemon to indicate the type, but I don't know whether that'd be too much.
Metagame premise: While teambuilding, you can use any move that a teammate learns. However, you may not use a move more than the Pokemon that learn it. (So if you have one Pokemon with Shell Smash, one Pokemon may use it).
Potential bans and threats: generally Pokemon that have good moves to pass that they don't necessarily need.
  • Shuckle: Great lead that can pass Shell Smash.
  • Magearna: Good Pokemon, that can take advantage of special moves / setup, while it gives Shift Gear for physical sweepers and Heart Swap to beat opposing setup.
  • Keldeo: Finally gets coverage!
  • Clefable / Chansey: On stall teams, these have multiple types of recovery, so can give one to something like Celesteela or Ferrothorn that don't normally have recovery.
  • Would the metagame spiral out of control quickly (similar to STABmons / Sketchmons), or does the teambuilding element cause enough restriction and predictability that it'd not be as OP, while still being creative?
  • How would stall adapt in this metagame? More offensive team are bound to switch up their coverage and setup, while stall can mostly switch around the utility between the Pokemon, while potentially being able to use some new Pokemon that weren't previously viable. Would this be enough?
Metagame premise: Pokemon change their secondary type into the type Gem they hold.

Potential bans and threats:
  • Zeraora w/ Ice Gem (Electric/Ice)
  • Volcarona w/ Steel & Ground Gem (Bug/Steel or Bug/Ground)
  • Dragonite w/ Fairy (or really any) Gem (Dragon/Fairy w/ STAB Extreme Speed)
  • Mantine w/ Ground Gem (Water/Ground w/ Water Absorb)
  • Volcanion w/ Ground Gem (Fire/Ground w/ Water Absorb)
  • I realise this is fairly similar to type changing OMs and Reliablemons (for which I don't want to submit it). However, I feel like it could be more interesting than any of those OMs. Should it be given a chance, potentially over those metagames?
  • It was a conscious choice to do it by an item, instead of something like Hidden Power. Besides actually allowing it to change to all types (an OM should in my opinion be inclusive and not have random exceptions, because of a previous mechanic). Being an item could prevent the metagame from spiralling out of control, while still being quite creative. Would this be enough, or would it be underused?
  • Should there be a Shiny Clause, where you Shiny locks would be removed and the primary type would be changed for Shiny Pokemon?

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Bad 'n Boosted seems fun, if somewhat similar to Tier Shift and 350 cup in some ways.

Interesting threats - Snorlax is an absolute unit with 160/110/130/130/110/60 stats. It's still definitely slow, but it's now bulkier physically than Lugia and not much less bulky specially. As a Gen 1 Normal it's got an amazing special movepool too, so it can definitely make use of that 130 SpA or it can stay physical or use both, Snorlax doesn't care.

Aegislash is a goddamn monster. 120/100/150/100/150/120 stats in shield form is pretty good, but the real treasure comes from its new blade form stats. 120/150/100/150/100/120 is definitely pretty damn bulky, and 150/120 offensive stats are horrific to deal with, turning it into a dangerous sweeper. King's Shield seems easy enough to drop here for Swords Dance or something else.

Deoxys-N now has a niche over Deoxys-A, as 100/100/100 defenses are a huge step up from 100/40/40. Deoxys-D is also a dangerous offensive threat if a slower one than its cousins, with 100/140/160/140/160/90 base stats giving it massive bulk as well.

Gothitelle is fucking disgusting. 140 HP and 130 Spe make it a much more potent trapper, and this should almost definitely be banned. Please. I beg you. If nobody's been abusing this then they're not trying hard enough. Mega Gengar is also more dangerous with its new 120 HP, although at least it doesn't keep its base form's 120 Def when it mega evolves.

There's also a bunch of OU threats that become significantly more dangerous, like tanky Alakazam-Mega, double HP Toxapex with its much stronger Scalds, 130/140/140 Skarmory, Pikachu with its 110 attack before Light Ball.

Overall it definitely seems to benefit Pokemon defensively more than offensively, which can be annoying.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bad 'n Boosted seems fun, if somewhat similar to Tier Shift and 350 cup in some ways.

Interesting threats - Snorlax is an absolute unit with 160/110/130/130/110/60 stats. It's still definitely slow, but it's now bulkier physically than Lugia and not much less bulky specially. As a Gen 1 Normal it's got an amazing special movepool too, so it can definitely make use of that 130 SpA or it can stay physical or use both, Snorlax doesn't care.

Aegislash is a goddamn monster. 120/100/150/100/150/120 stats in shield form is pretty good, but the real treasure comes from its new blade form stats. 120/150/100/150/100/120 is definitely pretty damn bulky, and 150/120 offensive stats are horrific to deal with, turning it into a dangerous sweeper. King's Shield seems easy enough to drop here for Swords Dance or something else.

Deoxys-N now has a niche over Deoxys-A, as 100/100/100 defenses are a huge step up from 100/40/40. Deoxys-D is also a dangerous offensive threat if a slower one than its cousins, with 100/140/160/140/160/90 base stats giving it massive bulk as well.

Gothitelle is fucking disgusting. 140 HP and 130 Spe make it a much more potent trapper, and this should almost definitely be banned. Please. I beg you. If nobody's been abusing this then they're not trying hard enough. Mega Gengar is also more dangerous with its new 120 HP, although at least it doesn't keep its base form's 120 Def when it mega evolves.

There's also a bunch of OU threats that become significantly more dangerous, like tanky Alakazam-Mega, double HP Toxapex with its much stronger Scalds, 130/140/140 Skarmory, Pikachu with its 110 attack before Light Ball.

Overall it definitely seems to benefit Pokemon defensively more than offensively, which can be annoying.
Thanks for replying, especially with such insight!

Yeah, I'll just ban Shadow Tag right now... I could try to keep like Wobbuffet alive, but besides Gothitelle, Gothorita is OP as well (120 / 140 / 85 defenses).

Otherwise, yeah, things get boosted defensively a lot, but I feel like it balances itself out. The metagame is (was at least) fairly balanced, because all the stat ranges were within the same range, with not a lot of extreme stats. There are some great wallbreakers (speaking from Gen 6, as that was when the metagame was the most active...), like Rampardos, which can now go mixed and Hoopa which gets amazing speed and defense now. And something like Araquanid seems deadly as well. Setup can also be annoying. There are some decent Unaware Pokemon but they're not amazing.

Ok first new meta I came up with in a while. Name pending. Let's call it Grab Bag for now.

Premise: In the team builder, the Ability and Item slots are considered wild, and can be used to customize your Pokemon in various ways.

Here are all the things you can put in either slot:

Moves: any legal move within the Pokemon's learnset may be placed into the ability or item slot to grant the Pokemon access to a fifth or even 6th move. No more 4mss!

Abilities: any legal ability that belongs to the Pokemon naturally may be used. This can let a Pokemon have 2 abilities.

Items: any legal item may be used in either slot. This can let a Pokemon use two items.

Typing: enter the name of a typing, e.g. "Dragon" into either the item or ability slot to change the pokemons primary or secondary typing respectively. This change would be reflected to the opponent when a Pokemon is sent in to active battle. This might need to be restricted to one slot.

Megas and other form changes overwrite abilities and types. OU banlist. Probably bans on the usual suspects.
Who needs abilities?
Ground/Normal Zygarde with lefties

Zygarde @ Normal
Ability: Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed

Wall this
5 attacks QD volc

Volcarona @ Giga Drain
Ability: Bug Buzz
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic

And you though skarmory was bulky
Steel/flying mandibuzz

Mandibuzz @ Steel
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Mega Clef
Clefable @ Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Click hyperspace fury?

Quality Meta (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Hyperspace Fury

Some questions for you all:
  • Should Pokemon be able to change both typings?
  • Should Pokemon be able to get a 6th move? Does this break general balance of typings and defensive counterplay?
  • Does there need to be more indication at team preview?
  • This is all rooted on the notion that the value of a single move is roughly equivalent to the value of a ability/type/item. Is this too far off?
RIP urkerab if this ever gets implemented

Last edited:
Ok first new meta I came up with in a while. Name pending. Let's call it Grab Bag for now.

Premise: In the team builder, the Ability and Item slots are considered wild, and can be used to customize your Pokemon in various ways.

Here are all the things you can put in either slot:

Moves: any legal move within the Pokemon's learnset may be placed into the ability or item slot to grant the Pokemon access to a fifth or even 6th move. No more 4mss!

Abilities: any legal ability that belongs to the Pokemon naturally may be used. This can let a Pokemon have 2 abilities.

Items: any legal item may be used in either slot. This can let a Pokemon use two items.

Typing: enter the name of a typing, e.g. "Dragon" into either the item or ability slot to change the pokemons primary or secondary typing respectively. This change would be reflected to the opponent when a Pokemon is sent in to active battle. This might need to be restricted to one slot.

Megas and other form changes overwrite abilities and types. OU banlist. Probably bans on the usual suspects.
Who needs abilities?
Ground/Normal Zygarde with lefties

Zygarde @ Normal
Ability: Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed

Wall this
5 attacks QD volc

Volcarona @ Giga Drain
Ability: Bug Buzz
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic

And you though skarmory was bulky
Steel/flying mandibuzz

Mandibuzz @ Steel
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Mega Clef
Clefable @ Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Click hyperspace fury?

Quality Meta (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Hyperspace Fury

Some questions for you all:
  • Should Pokemon be able to change both typings?
  • Should Pokemon be able to get a 6th move? Does this break general balance of typings and defensive counterplay?
  • Does there need to be more indication at team preview?
RIP urkerab if this ever gets implemented
Sounds utterly ridiculous, and kind of like four extant metagames on top of each other. I like it. I think some sort of Team Preview indicator would be nice, but something that's revealed on switch-in would be sort of a minimal measure to make the meta competitive.

As for moves 5 + 6, to get those you can't adjust your type / ability / item, which seems like a decent trade-off. Changing both types feels about the same. Zygarde will absolutely be broken, but that's just one mon.

There should be considerations for Psychic and Metronome, which are both moves, but also a type and an item, respectively.

There should be considerations for Psychic and Metronome, which are both moves, but also a type and an item, respectively.
Yup that's a good point. It is something that would have to get flagged at validation. Team builder would spit back a message like:

"Psychic is both a move and typing. Please specifiy using method blah"

Easiest way to distinguish the otherwise ambiguous cases would probably be to have a special character followed by a letter indicating move, item, ability, typing. E.g.

"Psychic=m" is the move.
"Pyschic=t" is the typing.

Doesn't have to be an equals sign, just something that will never be used in a name, and something that isn't already considered by teambuilder parsing.

0 EVO Restrictions
Just a metagame idea that I wanted to put out there, as it seems pretty unique and pretty fun. An OM I probably won't submit but, I did want other people's thoughts on.

The Idea - Every Pokemon no longer has restrictions on their movepools or abilities. Any evolutionary pokemon can use all abilities and moves that other forms (including alolan), and other stages (including megas) have/learn. Not only that but, mega & form pokemon are not restricted by mega stones or whatever causes activation, and can hold items while being a seperate pokemon. So, Pikachu can use Surf, Nasty Plot, and Extreme Speed while having the ability Surge Surfer. This will be an OU based metagame.

Unbans - Deoxys Defense, Mega Gengar (Forced to choose between Levitate or Cursed Body), Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Mega Kangaskhan (Forced to choose between Regular Kangaskhan's abilities), and Lugia.

Ban - Protean, Wonder Guard, Parental Bond

Threats - Mega Sceptile (Unburden under Grassy Terrain), Landorus-Therian (Sheer Force), Mega Venusaur (Chlorophyll), Mega Gyarados (Choice Band + Moxie), Mega Charizard Y (Choice Specs), Mega Charizard X (Choice Band/Choice Scarf), Ash-Greninja, Mega Tyranitar (Life Orb or Resist Berries + Dragon Dance), Mega Sharpedo (Speed Boost/Strong Jaw+ Choice Band), Kyurem Black (Having access to Zekrom's Movepool), Cosmoem (Shadow Shield & Morning Sun in conjunction with Eviolite), Mega Slowbro (Regenerator), Mega Audino (Regenerator), and Mega Sableye (Prankster + Status)

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Metagame premise: All base stats of 70 and lower get doubled. (Ubers based)
Potential bans and threats: Huge Power, Pure Power, Shadow Tag and Eviolite would be banned. Otherwise, there's nothing currently banned but there are enough threats. I just picked a few random ones.
  • Castform: 140 HP / 140 Atk / 140 Def / 140 SpA / 140 SpD / 140 Spe
  • Sylveon: 95 HP / 130 Atk / 130 Def / 110 SpA / 130 SpD / 120 Spe
  • Gardevoir: 136 HP / 130 Atk / 130 Def / 125 SpA / 115 SpD / 100 Spe
  • Araquanid: 136 HP / 140 Atk / 92 Def / 100 Spa / 132 SpD / 84 Spe
  • Vibrava: 100 HP / 140 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 140 Spe
All right, here's some of the crazier stuff about Bad n' Boosted.

-Mega Diancie with base 100 HP is going to be fun.

-Regular Diancie and Carbink have the exact same base stats now.

-Rampardos just barely outspeeds Mega Rayquaza.

-Hoopa-U is going to be a lot harder to stop with base 120 Defense. Good thing its base Speed is 80.

-Mega Beedrill is significantly less frail (although 130/80/80 might turn out to be meaningless in this meta).

-Mixed Mega Gyarados

-Mega Mewtwo Y now has base 140 Defense. That might be a problem.

-Mega Swampert has base 140 Speed. And Swift Swim.

-The perfect partner for Mega Swampert? Pelipper, with its new stat spread of 120/100/100/95/140/130. Yeah, rain's going to be big.

-Bisharp's new stat spread is 130/125/100/120/140/140.

-Clefable has base 140 Attack, base 120 Speed, a good physical movepool and access to Belly Drum.

-Linoone has base 140 Attack and access to Belly Drum, Extreme Speed and Gluttony, with 78/122/122 defenses.

-Stupidly bulky Excadrill

-The Thunder Ferrothorn meme is a lot less of a joke coming off of base 108 Special Attack. Still weak for this meta, but definitely something to consider.

-I've never been more relieved to see Greninja's base 72 HP and base 71 Special Defense.

-Should we ban Fur Coat? Furfrou's 75/120/90 defenses with Fur Coat are manageable, but Alolan Persian's 130/120/130 with Fur Coat is not (even before factoring in the base 120 Attack).

-Fluffy at least isn't a problem. Stufful has 140/100/100 defenses, but it has no offensive capability and very limited defensive capability. Plus there's going to be Fire-types everywhere, so Fluffy should stay.

-Volcanion gets base 140 Speed.

-Volcarona gets 120 Attack and 130 Defense, plus Flare Blitz and U-Turn if you want to run physical or mixed.

-Someone else mentioned 130/140/140 Skarmory without mentioning that it also has base 140 Speed.

-Tapu Fini with base 140 HP is... honestly probably still not that good.

-"Ban Toxapex" was a thing before Sun and Moon even came out, and I think it's appropriate for this meta as well.

-Breloom is scary.

-Conkeldurr no longer needs an Assault Vest with base 130 Special Defense. Still slow as molasses though.

-Mega Gardevoir is thicc.

-Poor Xurkitree got cucked out of good defenses by 1 point.

-Mega Kangaskhan with base 120 Special Attack probably isn't optimal, but it gets Blizzard, Fire Blast and Thunder.

-I'm so glad that Pheromosa has base 71 HP.

-Mega Aggron's 140/230 physical bulk is horrifying.

-Blissey with base 110 Speed and marginally better Defense is even more horrifying.

-Guzzlord's 223/106/106 bulk makes it less garbage in this meta.

-Hariyama has 144/120/120 defenses and a respectable 120 Attack. Neat.

-Shuckle's base 40 HP is better than base 20.

-Cloyster's base Speed is 140, with respectable bulk and access to Shell Smash and Skill Link.

-Dusclops has base 140 Attack, base 120 Special Attack, and 80/130/130 defenses, plus a decently big movepool to play around with.

-If we don't ban Light Ball, Pikachu is going to be a huge problem.

-Pyukumuku with base 110 HP is going to be annoying, but at least it's not Tier Shift.

-Regular Gourgeist is a far better option than Large or XL.

-Pumpkaboo-XL is a far better option than Gourgeist.

-Don't laugh at Dunsparce anymore. 100/140/140/130/130/90 with Serene Grace, Glare and Headbutt isn't funny.

-Delibird and Luvdisc are still trash lmao

-Farfetch'd is really regretting its Gen 7 boost to Attack now.

-Ditto has base 96 HP.

-Even this meta can't make Furret good.

-Spinda is Arceus.

-We might need to take a look at the Thick Club. Both Marowaks get boosts to HP and Speed, but the real threat here is Cubone, who gets base 100 Attack.

-Weezing has 130/120/140 defensive bulk, 120 Speed and a good defensive typing and movepool.

-Shedinja's HP is hardcoded to 1, lol what a loser

-Kecleon's 120/140/120 bulk gives it the potential to exploit Protean defensively, especially in conjunction with Shadow Sneak.

-Accelgor has base 140 Attack, base 145 Speed and access to Knock Off, Leech Life and U-Turn.

-I'm scared of Mega Sharpedo.

-It's good that Rock/Steel is such an awful defensive typing, otherwise Stakataka, Aggron, Probopass and Bastiodon would run roughshod over this meta.

0 EVO Restrictions
Just a metagame idea that I wanted to put out there, as it seems pretty unique and pretty fun. An OM I probably won't submit but, I did want other people's thoughts on.

The Idea - Every Pokemon no longer has restrictions on their movepools or abilities. Any evolutionary pokemon can use all abilities and moves that other forms (including alolan), and other stages (including megas) have/learn. Not only that but, mega & form pokemon are not restricted by mega stones or whatever causes activation, and can hold items while being a seperate pokemon. So, Pikachu can use Surf, Nasty Plot, and Extreme Speed while having the ability Surge Surfer. This will be an OU based metagame.

Unbans - Deoxys Defense, Mega Gengar (Forced to choose between Levitate or Cursed Body), Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Mega Kangaskhan (Forced to choose between Regular Kangaskhan's abilities), and Lugia.

Ban - Protean

Threats - Mega Sceptile (Unburden under Grassy Terrain), Landorus-Therian (Sheer Force), Mega Venusaur (Chlorophyll), Mega Gyarados (Choice Band + Moxie), Mega Charizard Y (Choice Specs), Mega Charizard X (Choice Band/Choice Scarf), Ash-Greninja, Mega Tyranitar (Life Orb or Resist Berries + Dragon Dance), Mega Sharpedo (Speed Boost/Strong Jaw+ Choice Band), Kyurem Black (Having access to Zekrom's Movepool), Cosmoem (Shadow Shield & Morning Sun in conjunction with Eviolite), Mega Slowbro (Regenerator), Mega Audino (Regenerator), and Mega Sableye (Prankster + Status)
Interesting idea. Some more threats I can think of are Life Orb Magic Guard Mega Alakazam, Prankster Copycat Lucario (with Fighting STAB to counter Dark-types), any of the Eeveelutions with Adaptability, Vaporeon with Volt Absorb, Umbreon or Sylveon with Magic Bounce, regular Ninetales with Freeze-Dry, and Serene Grace Shaymin.

That being said, I can think of some things that need banning. Wonder Guard, for example. And Slaking.

0 EVO Restrictions

Ban - Protean

I understand Mega Gengar being unbanned as Shadow Tag is banned in OU, but I don't think Parental Bond is banned (only Kangaskhanite). Doesn't this mean we would just get Mega Kanga back in OU?

Also, can Pokemon use all abilities at the same time? If not, Mega Sableye definitely isn't running Prankster, it needs Magic Bounce to be viable. Same goes for Mega Sharpedo, Mega Venusaur, etc. If I understand correctly, Zard Y for example can have Drought as usual but also choose between Blaze and Solar Power (nani?!) as an additional ability, and then gets an item slot as well, which gives us this:

Charizard - Mega Y @ Leftovers / Fightinium Z / Firium Z / filler
Ability: Drought, Solar Power
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-Focus Blast
-Roost

pretty absurd, but by that logic we also get:

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf / Z move / filler
Ability: Parental Bond, Scrappy
Adamant Nature
-Fake Out
-Power-Up Punch
-Return
-Sucker Punch

wew lad

edit: more ideas following tmacbalanced 's clarifications:
Guts Mega Heracross + Flame Orb

Steadfast or Justified Mega Gallade (its better than Inner Focus I guess) + Life Orb

Vital Spirit Slaking - on that note, Archeops and Regigigas still suck

Alolan Ninetales + Fire Blast

Mega Pinsir + Life Orb / Fightinium Z

Mega Slowbro + Leftovers (any fat mega likes Lefties)

Mega Pigeot + Choice Specs

Mega Swampert + Splash Plate / Waterium Z

Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo + Life Orb

Sheer Force Mega Camerupt + Life Orb

Lucario (not mega) + Adaptability

Sableye (not mega) + Magic Bounce

This seems like most mons aren't affected unless they have megas, and megas are now even more absurd. I think this would be better in a NFE / LC meta since the pre-evolution mons are the ones that don't have their evolved forms' moves, ex: Fletchling and Fletchinder don't get Brave Bird.

Last edited:
I understand Mega Gengar being unbanned as Shadow Tag is banned in OU, but I don't think Parental Bond is banned (only Kangaskhanite). Doesn't this mean we would just get Mega Kanga back in OU?

Also, can Pokemon use all abilities at the same time? If not, Mega Sableye definitely isn't running Prankster, it needs Magic Bounce to be viable. Same goes for Mega Sharpedo, Mega Venusaur, etc. If I understand correctly, Zard Y for example can have Drought as usual but also choose between Blaze and Solar Power (nani?!) as an additional ability, and then gets an item slot as well, which gives us this:

Charizard - Mega Y @ Leftovers / Fightinium Z / Firium Z / filler
Ability: Drought, Solar Power
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-Focus Blast
-Roost

pretty absurd, but by that logic we also get:

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf / Z move / filler
Ability: Parental Bond, Scrappy
Adamant Nature
-Fake Out
-Power-Up Punch
-Return
-Sucker Punch

wew lad
Yeah, I forgot to add Parental Bond to Banlist. And no, each pokemon only has one ability. Like with the Pikachu example, I gave it one ability. Otherwise, that'd be a bit broken for many mons. Mega Sableye being able to use prankster is pretty cool too. There are times when it can come in handy against physical sweepers that aren't dark type. True, magic bounce is an excellent ability for it, no doubting that. Also, Mega Venu with Chlorophyll is very good. Such a strong, bulky hitter with access to growth and sleep powder is not to be messed with.

Metagame premise: Mons only having and using recharge moves they can acquire naturally, those being Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Rock Wrecker, and Roar of Time.

Potential bans and threats: OU Clauses, but with much testing, my team of cbrevan, Frostbiyt and Rat With Wings found several things to be vastly overcentralizing and overpowering: Ghost types and Regenerator. We were thinking either a ban based on the number of switches per battle, number of switches in a row, or even banning Regen entirely, as well as a limitation on the number of Ghost types allowed.

Questions for the community: How should this meta take shape? Much discussion has been had on item limitations (such as Choice items only), whether or not full teams should be dedicated to one move (such as the entire team has to have at least one recharge in common), and whether or not Pokemon should be allowed to carry two or more of these recharge moves or be restricted to one move of their choice. And with all of these restrictions and ideas in mind, is such a meta too centralizing around certain mons, such as Ghost types and mons with Scrappy, -ate, or -ize abilities, and is it possible to avoid such a centralization? And finally, what would this meta be named?

I welcome and ask for any kinds of feedback, either on the formatting of my post or on the idea itself, or for my fellow testers to expand upon what I may have missed.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
Metagame premise: Mons only having and using recharge moves they can acquire naturally, those being Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Rock Wrecker, and Roar of Time.

Potential bans and threats: OU Clauses, but with much testing, my team of cbrevan, Frostbiyt and Rat With Wings found several things to be vastly overcentralizing and overpowering: Ghost types and Regenerator. We were thinking either a ban based on the number of switches per battle, number of switches in a row, or even banning Regen entirely, as well as a limitation on the number of Ghost types allowed.

Questions for the community: How should this meta take shape? Much discussion has been had on item limitations (such as Choice items only), whether or not full teams should be dedicated to one move (such as the entire team has to have at least one recharge in common), and whether or not Pokemon should be allowed to carry two or more of these recharge moves or be restricted to one move of their choice. And with all of these restrictions and ideas in mind, is such a meta too centralizing around certain mons, such as Ghost types and mons with Scrappy, -ate, or -ize abilities, and is it possible to avoid such a centralization? And finally, what would this meta be named?

I welcome and ask for any kinds of feedback, either on the formatting of my post or on the idea itself, or for my fellow testers to expand upon what I may have missed.
Thank you very much!
To add to this, the ghost ban was considered while we were only using Hyper Beam and Giga Impact, it likely wouldn't be needed with the other moves added in along with -ize/-ate abilities and Scrappy.

If my consistent losses show anything, it is that i love gambling, so why not mix it up a bit? Introducing...

Russian Roulette Mode!

Simple enough as it is at first, at first it seems like AG as it only bans endless battle clauses (subject to change). But before the battle even starts is where it begins, like rolling a die, one of six things can happen to your pokemon.

1: They all lose their items (if they have one)
2: They all lose their secondary type (if they have one)
3: They all lose their abilities
4: They all lose their status moves (take one guess as to what the exception is)
5: A random pokemon with a pre-evolution turns into their stage 1 evolution
6: A random pokemon faints

Ban-list:

-Bans

Endless battle clause, also we recommend you do not build your team around one strategy but it is not banned

-Unbans

None yet

Q&A:
Q: When do these effects take place again?
A: Right before you can choose your lead pokemon

Q: Can i have 6 Rayquazzas ready to mega evolve? What about FEAR?
A: Both of these ideas are possible but not recommended as they can be destroyed and exploited easily after the effects have taken place

Q: Are effects seperate?
A: Yes, both players will roll seperate die’s

Q: Why are my files not being downloaded on to my toaster?
A: This is a stupid question, please do not have kids (Based off Dilbert strip)

Q: Who does Kyerum-Black Devolve into?
A: Kyerum-Black does not devolve, same with megas and alternate forms (Alolan pokemon still devolve though)

Q: Isn’t this all based on luck?
A: Luck is a big factor, but not the deciding one

Last edited:
If my consistent losses show anything, it is that i love gambling, so why not mix it up a bit? Introducing...

Russian Roulette Mode!

Simple enough as it is at first, at first it seems like AG as it only bans endless battle clauses (subject to change). But before the battle even starts is where it begins, like rolling a die, one of six things can happen to your pokemon.

4: They all lose their status moves (take one guess as to what the exception is)

Ban-list:

-Bans

Endless battle clause, also we recommend you do not build your team around one strategy but it is not banned

-Unbans

None yet

Q&A:

A: Both of these ideas are possible but not recommended as they can be destroyed and exploited easily after the effects have taken place

A: Kyerum-Black does not devolve, same with megas and alternate forms (Alolan pokmeon still devolve though)

I'd suggest that to reduce the amount of luck involved, both players get rolled the same number -- this will help reduce potential imbalance caused by luck. For example, if your team lost all their items, while your opponent who has no multi-stage evos got rolled 5, which doesn't harm their team at all, wouldn't it be a bit unfair?

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.

Russian Roulette Mode!

Ban-list:

-Bans

-Unbans

None yet

Q&A:

A: Kyerum-Black does not devolve, same with megas and alternate forms (Alolan pokmeon still devolve though)

The Battle Arcade was one of my favorite battle facilities, and this reminds me of it a lot. Maybe there should be options for random weather or terrain, or for Pokémon to start the battle with a status condition, with half HP, or with no PP on one of their moves? Just some ideas to consider.

Thank you very much!
I can see Slaking being a dominant force in this meta, since everything basically has Truant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)