All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

What's the most annoying Pokemon set in gen 2?
Very subjective. I'd say Smeargle with Spore, Spider Web and Baton Pass was the most annoying set before the sleep-trap ban. Now it might be Misdreavus with Perish Song, Mean Look, Confuse Ray, and Protect or Umbreon with Mean Look, Baton Pass, Confuse Ray and either Moonlight or Sand Attack.

I'm building a team for Colosseum's Battle Mode (doubles). My strategy is going to revolve around Skill Swapping Own Tempo from Slowbro onto Slaking, then Swaggering it. I realize this takes in effect 3 turns to set up (Slowbro uses Skill Swap, Slowbro switches out, replacement Pokémon uses Swagger) and would thus likely be foiled by a decent real-life opponent, but against CPUs, I should be fine. What would be the best EV Spread and nature for Slaking? I originally thought of going max Speed and HP with a Jolly nature since even without EVs, Slaking will likely run through just about anything after a Swagger boost (and my best focus would be to outspeed my threats and survive any hits I might take), but I was running some calcs, and I pretty much need max Attack Adamant for a +2 spread Earthquake to OHKO standard Tyranitar. What do you all suggest?

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
I'm building a team for Colosseum's Battle Mode (doubles). My strategy is going to revolve around Skill Swapping Own Tempo from Slowbro onto Slaking, then Swaggering it. I realize this takes in effect 3 turns to set up (Slowbro uses Skill Swap, Slowbro switches out, replacement Pokémon uses Swagger) and would thus likely be foiled by a decent real-life opponent, but against CPUs, I should be fine. What would be the best EV Spread and nature for Slaking? I originally thought of going max Speed and HP with a Jolly nature since even without EVs, Slaking will likely run through just about anything after a Swagger boost (and my best focus would be to outspeed my threats and survive any hits I might take), but I was running some calcs, and I pretty much need max Attack Adamant for a +2 spread Earthquake to OHKO standard Tyranitar. What do you all suggest?
I would run an adamant nature and 6/252/252. Reaching 299 speed is good enough (you can always replace leftovers for salac berry, Slaking has enough bulk to do a good use of it) but the insane physical attack should be priorized. Also, did you think about a partner for swagger? Zapdos could be a reliable option as is inmune to eathquake and provides a good support movepool (swagger, thunder wave, rain dance+thunder, whatever you need). Make sure to feedback us with your results, ADV 2vs.2 is a gorgeous metagame!

I have another question aside from the above. I read many years ago that Heracross+SD was banned from japanese ADV metagame. Do you know if it's true and where could I find some info about it?

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Why do some people want to completely ban sand veil in DPP? Is Cacturne really that big of a problem?
Read this thread first for background on the original Sand Veil arguments and counterarguments. Follow it up with this thread. The current action taken by the DPP oldgen council appears to be a mixture of simplification of the banlist and Cacturne's extant presence in major tours where its main use is for the chance to win via luck.

Also try to keep up with this currently active thread which is liable to end up answering any questions that you still have after reading through the first two.

Soooo based on the thread in the PR people are intent on locking old gen tiers. Should I take this as an indication that smogon will not support any active tiering on lower gens, even if the playerbase wants to actively pursue such a project?

Also I've got plenty to say about the concept of locking lower tiers and I guess this isn't the place for it, however I will say this- in RBY Persian was held out of lower tiers for what, a decade and a half after rby ceased being the "active" generation? This is in spite of the fact that for a long time (certainly as long as I've been playing RBY, which was as soon as it was available on PO) it was practically never seen. This was a major factor in that set of tiers being so completely divorced from the reality of competitive play that it became a joke. There is no such thing as a static metagame and any static tier list will eventually become so removed from reality that it becomes a farce. If no-one wants to pursue such a project then fine, leave it. But if people actually want to take these things seriously, then they should be able to.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Soooo based on the thread in the PR people are intent on locking old gen tiers. Should I take this as an indication that smogon will not support any active tiering on lower gens, even if the playerbase wants to actively pursue such a project?
My proposal includes a reviewal period before locking down a tier, which includes tiers like RBY UU. If my proposal goes through, this would be the time to assess the RBY lower tiers and properly develop an NU tier.

If transitivity is instated across the board and the status quo kept instead, a reviewal of RBY UU and below could take place at any time if people are inclined. As we did here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rby-uu-tier-discussion-and-evaluation.3533616/.

It could definitely use another look, Victreebel could definitely be labeled as OU at this point.

My proposal includes a reviewal period before locking down a tier, which includes tiers like RBY UU. If my proposal goes through, this would be the time to assess the RBY lower tiers and properly develop an NU tier.

If transitivity is instated across the board and the status quo kept instead, a reviewal of RBY UU and below could take place at any time if people are inclined. As we did here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rby-uu-tier-discussion-and-evaluation.3533616/.

It could definitely use another look, Victreebel could definitely be labeled as OU at this point.
I am quite interested in that. I think it's about time that we form a proper RBY UU and NU on Smogon. I'd definitely take part in that. But the problem is, we need to get OU fixed first. (Vic is still not listed OU, even though it clearly is now I think) Also, TIN's recent thread here encouraged discussion and who knows if it actually brings some changes to the OU meta with it. If that is all out of question and dealt with, I'll happily take part in forming the lower tiers.

Hi, I am kinda new, sorry if I break some rules. I am playing Crystal on the 3DS virtual console. I was considering playing with some friends and at the battle tower. But how do you deal with limited TM? I read that using the clone glitch on virtual console might corrupt a box on bill's pc. I only have one 3ds.

I really want to win some Battle Tower matches, those npcs made fun of me when I was a kid and even now. They need to pay :/

This is an odd question, but im going to try anyways.

So, im currently playing gen 2 and im building a team for LC, i try to find pokes with maximum stats in certain key stats, speed in this case.
Now, i guess there are some cheat codes for this, but i find them a bit complicated to understand, and besides, i like to do things somewhat legit.

Here is the thing, while i might find level 5 Abra and Digletts with the maximum speed DV, i always end up short after calcium boosts
For example, i have found Digletts with 16 a bunch of times now, i can never get the speed up to 19, it always ends up with 18.
Im pretty sure im at attempt 30 or something with Diglett(16), is it just insanely hard to max out a stat, or is something different with maxing out stats for a level 5 pokemon?

So, are the Smogon LC lists wrong, and Abra actually max out at 17 speed, and Diglett at 18? Do i need to do something extra to truly Max out stat experience at this level, besides 10 vitamins?
I haven't tested, but i suspect i would end up with 1 point less in any given stat as well, despite the initial DV.

Last edited:
You can't max out stats just with vitamins, they only work until your pokemon reaches a certain number of EVs (100/255 in gen 3 and 25600/65535 in gen 2). Giving a pokemon max stat experience at level 5 is usually not possible as far as I know, your best attempt would be trying to find the highest stat experience/EXP ratio and switch 5 other pokemon in each fight so the amount of EXP you get is minimized.
So basically find a low level pokemon with decent stats that doesn't give you much EXP.

So, are the Smogon LC lists wrong, and Abra actually max out at 17 speed, and Diglett at 18? Do i need to do something extra to truly Max out stat experience at this level, besides 10 vitamins?
2). Giving a pokemon max stat experience at level 5 is usually not possible as far as I know,
Bulbapedia said:
In Generations I and II, when a Pokémon is taken out of the Day Care, its experience will lower to the minimum value for its current level.
source
So I'm pretty sure you can train a Pokemon until it's almost level 6, then put it in the day care and immediately withdraw it. This should let you get max EVs without gaining any experience.

Last edited:
Yes, it does work, so its possible to max out stat xp at any level, very handy to know, for those of us who play gen1/gen2 at least.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Okay so in Gen 6 there is no non-Trickable item (due to the lack of Mail) that you can place on a Pokemon other than Pokemon-specific megastones for that specific Pokemon. For example the only item in Gen 6 that prevents Audino from being Tricked is Audinite. This would be relatively niche but useful tech in ORAS PU where a Trick user, namely Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost, would use Trick against an opposing Stall team to cripple something. The only GSI to that on Stall is Sticky Hold CroMuk which I suppose is decent enough. However, Regenerator Audinite Audino would be another really cool option for ORAS PU teams, giving up passive Leftovers recovery for the inability to be Tricked or Knocked Off. However, Audinite Audino is banned from ORAS PU in the context of that Mega Audino is NU and therefore banned from PU. From what I can tell this is and was a Smogon stat issue since Audinite on Audino was likely used as the main indicator as whether or not an Audino was Mega or not in terms of tiering represenation between its base and Mega formes. Seeing as this has a clear and definite purpose for running Audinite Audino in ORAS PU without mega-evolving, is this something that we could potentially add to the ORAS PU metagame because stats for ORAS metagames aren't being ran anymore? Is this something I could potentially take to Policy Review?

apologies for such as long-winded explanation / reasoning / question, and thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)