Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just make sure you're not too dependent on the set-up. If it fits your playstyle it's all good and fair but I wouldn't use a full-blown TR team. Something along the lines of TR Cresselia / Rhyperior / Zapdos and other bulky Pokémon that tend to be in Goodstuff teams are fine choices because you can Trick Room but you're not dependent on it.
(That's basically what Huy already said - the playstyle per se is viable as long as you do build it well)

drug duck is absolutely right, a really important part of any Pokemon team (but especially VGC) is flexibility, since you never know what your opponent could use, what hax could bring, or etc. If you only have one way to win, rest assured you will not do well at regionals since VGC is perhaps the least predictable Pokemon metagame. This is what turns off most people to balls-to-the-wall TR, since if they don't get it set up, they're screwed. That said, Trick Room teams can certainly be good, but remember to use Pokemon that are good in their own right, even without trick room.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Remember that the US National Champion last year used a full trick room team. Use what you're most comfortable using.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I definitely regret not just going ahead and using my TR team at nats. I opted not to use it because I was worried about hax and not setting it up, and wanted flexibility, but really should have just gone with it since it was what i was comfortable with.

Two questions, and they are big ones too!

1.When battling VGC style, during the "Team Preview" portion before the battle starts, when the opponent views your team, can they see your Pokemon's nicknames?

2. What is the year of birth minimum and maximum for seniors division?

1.When battling VGC style, during the "Team Preview" portion before the battle starts, when the opponent views your team, can they see your Pokemon's nicknames? No, you can only see your opponents Pokemon, and their level, gender, and if they have an item.

2. What is the year of birth minimum and maximum for seniors division? The maximum is 1997, while the minimum is 2001(I think).
Hope this helped!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

1.When battling VGC style, during the "Team Preview" portion before the battle starts, when the opponent views your team, can they see your Pokemon's nicknames?

2. What is the year of birth minimum and maximum for seniors division?
1. No. All they can see is the sprite, gender, level, and whether it's holding an item.

2. Born in 1997, 1998, 1999, or 2000

Alright great, that confirms that I can still be in Seniors this year! Thanks voodoo. I just came across another question, on pokemon.com, it says I need an account on some website or something to participate, is this true?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Alright great, that confirms that I can still be in Seniors this year! Thanks voodoo. I just came across another question, on pokemon.com, it says I need an account on some website or something to participate, is this true?
I believe you need a Trainer Club account to claim your prizes if you win.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Which sprouts another question. What is this "Train Club" and how can I make an account on it? I already have an account on Pokemon.com, so that's that.
That's the one. Go to your profile and click on the "My Play! Pokémon" tab. The player ID listed is what you'll need.

" Players who are found to be intentionally delaying the pace of their matches will be disqualified from the event."

(Taken from http://assets3.pokemon.com/assets/c...EU Nationals Tournament Operation_2012_EN.pdf)

I didn't know this rule existed, has it ever been enforced? If so, how do they evaluate "intentionally delaying?"

Personally it seems controversial, seeing as one could unintentionally stall while they try and choose a move. At the same time, I'm sure stalling has and will continue to occur.

I don't think it's ever been enforced, and to be honest I think it refers more to outside the battle than the battle itself. (Meaning taking forever to get to your battle, signing the match slip, etc.) It's never a problem for VGC, it's more enforced in TCG. "Stalling" the 1 minute timer is a legitimate strategy for VGC, whereas taking a long time to make your moves in TCG can sometimes cross the line.

" Players who are found to be intentionally delaying the pace of their matches will be disqualified from the event."

(Taken from http://assets3.pokemon.com/assets/c...EU Nationals Tournament Operation_2012_EN.pdf)

I didn't know this rule existed, has it ever been enforced? If so, how do they evaluate "intentionally delaying?"

Personally it seems controversial, seeing as one could unintentionally stall while they try and choose a move. At the same time, I'm sure stalling has and will continue to occur.
I don't think that it has been enough of an issue that they had to do anything about it YET however I believe that now there would be more of a classification as to what stalling will be for reasons I would prefer not to get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)