Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea. The fact that there usually becomes 1 supergod in the teams is why I wont be making this metagame a 1v1 type.
Most example teams will suck. But rearranging the very pokemon could make a team much better or much worse. Super-low-in-some-stats-but-super-high-in-other-stats mons work best in the attack slots (slot 2) or special attack slot (slot 4).

Won't that mean this team will have stats of
170/59/50/100/106/80 (Wailord)
90/181/95/85/130/100 (Kartana)
45/131/180/80/90/50 (Cloyster)
90/59/85/165/110/100 (CalyrexS)
45/31/45/100/154/90 (Ho-Oh)
60/109/70/150/90/200 (Regieleki)

This Cloyster won't be able to effectively shell smash. Many other pokemon can outspeed this even at +2. Also, special attacks can destroy this pokemon after shell smashing.
This Ho-Oh is absolutely awful.
You could possibly run bulky Wailord here.
Kartana and CalyrexS could become sweepers in the right conditions. Regieleki could be the MVP of the team.

Making this a 1v1 mode was going to be a bad idea to me since players will just set up for that particular pokemon.
Okay, so I misunderstood how your idea worked then. Still seems kinda complicated, and still centralizes things around min-maxing one or two pokemon, but I gotcha now. One new issue I see is how there's a great deal of high Def and SpD pokemon such as Diancie, Registeel, Toxapex, and Carbink, which all make very similar couplings of ~150 (special) attack and ~150 speed when placing two in the corresponding attack and speed slot. Overall seems interesting, but it feels like there's gonna be too much that can become really centralizing really quickly.

Okay, so I misunderstood how your idea worked then. Still seems kinda complicated, and still centralizes things around min-maxing one or two pokemon, but I gotcha now. One new issue I see is how there's a great deal of high Def and SpD pokemon such as Diancie, Registeel, Toxapex, and Carbink, which all make very similar couplings of ~150 (special) attack and ~150 speed when placing two in the corresponding attack and speed slot. Overall seems interesting, but it feels like there's gonna be too much that can become really centralizing really quickly.
Yea, I will not make it a 1v1 mode for that very reason. Too many overpowered monsters.

Most MVPs might end up being the ones in the defense slot.
Also this metagame was intended to allow players to have their favorite mons be the MVP (the one most min-maxed) of the team.
Also, unless other members of the team have something essential to victory, you just lose if your slot 3 Pokemon faints.

Say you have
Cresselia / Diancie / Cloyster / Toxapex / Aegislash / Registeel.

Your team would have this:

120/50/50/60/60/80 Levitate
70/100/95/50/63/75 Clear Body
120/150/180/140/152/150 Skill Link
75/100/85/50/53/75 Merciless(?)
130/150/45/140/142/150 Stance Change
85/50/70/35/60/50 Clear Body

MVPs are the Cloyster and Aegislash.
(Also, because Aegislash blade is also allowed in this metagame, the pokemon that get 140s and 50s will be determined by which Aegislash you picked.

Cloyster is a powerhouse across the board. However this team would be rejected because Cloyster's insane BST of 892 is waaay over the max allowed 700.
Aegislash would have broken this rule too (757 BST).
So yes, teams can spam high def Pokemon, but if they want super high stats for the third pokemon they will have to use some low defense pokemon to balance (though putting that in slot 2 or 4 would be best.)

Last edited:
Also, if someone will put like a Registeel/Toxapex in slots 2 and 6, or take one of those out and add Cloyster and Lugia in slots 2/4, for the 3rd mon to be a physical sweeper and the 5th to be a special one.

However, the rest of the slots could be interchangeable.

Also if Indeedee/Lele gets involved in the sweeper teams, the other team is screwed without either another terrain changer or sashes.

Currently thinking of good ways to counter these teams.

I have an idea for a "TCG" inspired metagame, using the boxes format. A little bit similar to "first blood", I think.

Rules:

- Each player is allowed a box team of up to 24 mons
- A player loses when 6 of his pokémon are defeated, or he runs out of pokémon.

Problems:

-Switching might be very frequent in this meta. I think a way of limiting switching or discouraging frequent switching would have to be put in place. I can think of possibly two options:

1. You cannot switch freely between all 24 of your mons: every turn, you can switch between six (randomly chosen OR alternating) mons (similar to "drawing a card" in a card game)
2. A player can switch up to 40 (48?) times before losing (similar to "running out of cards" in a card game.)

Any ideas?

Thinking of unbanning Baton Pass in this meta. Espescially if the amount of switches you have are limited, Baton Pass isn't as free anymore, and the number of counters in one team can be significantly larger, since it's 4 times bigger. One haze, topsy-turvy or clear smog ruins the whole chain. What do you guys think?

Time for me to excrete another genius post... Here we go...
Ladies and gentlemen, are your socks strapped tight? It's time for...
CARD CLASH
The TCG-inspired metagame!

Premise: Both players start with a box of 24 mons. There are two ways to lose in this metagame:
1. The first player to lose 6 of his Pokémon loses the duel. (loss by defeat)
2. The first player to switch pokémon more than 40 times loses the duel. (loss by deckout)
A player cannot switch freely to his other 23 mons. After picking his lead at the start of the battle, his team order is then randomized. With a few exceptions, he can then only view and select only the first five pokémon at the top of the box.
This explanation sounds confusing just by typing it out, though...

Here we have a regular box full of, for demonstration purposes, random OU-legal pokémon, as seen in the teambuilder. Wow, look at all those mons!

:sceptile: :kyurem: :regieleki: :blacephalon: :tapu koko: :crawdaunt:
:umbreon: :dragalge: :tangela: :silvally-electric: :torkoal: :heatran:
:venusaur: :pelipper: :quagsire: :scyther: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :alakazam:
:dragapult: :clefairy: :landorus-therian: :tapu lele: :tapu fini: :corviknight:

After matching with another player on the ladder and saying gl hf to each other, we pick a lead. Today, we're in a Quagsire kind of mood, so we'll pick Quagsire as our lead. The remaining 23 team members then get their team position shuffled around, and we end up with this team order (left to right, then top to bottom):

:quagsire: 2. :dragalge: 3. :tapu lele: 4. :landorus-therian: 5. :urshifu-rapid-strike: 6. :tangela:
7. :clefable: 8. :regieleki: 9. :pelipper: 10. :tapu koko: 11. :venusaur: 12. :scyther:
13. :blacephalon: 14. :silvally-electric: 15. :heatran: 16. :kyurem: 17. :crawdaunt: 18. :alakazam:
19. :corviknight: 20. :torkoal: 21. :umbreon: 22. :dragapult: 23. :sceptile: 24. :tapu fini:

(note: if you have a Zoroark, you also get to pick who gets priority to be in the final slot. This is counterintuitive though, for reasons we'll see later.)

But! This is not what the player sees! After sending out Quagsire, the player looks at his team and sees this:

:quagsire: :dragalge: :tapu lele: :landorus-therian: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tangela:

Barring our active Quagsire, we can only see and freely switch between the first five pokémon in our party (our "hand").

But it looks like we won't need to do that, because our opponent sent out a Coalossal! Predicting a switch, we go for a Toxic. As predicted, the opposing Coalossal switches out, a Sceptile comes in, and we miss our Toxic. Damn you, 95% accuracy!

This is bad. Sceptile threatens us, so we'd better switch. But when we look at our hand, we see this:

:quagsire: :tapu lele: :landorus-therian: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tangela: :clefable:

Oh no! Our Dragalge is gone! This is because every turn, the Pokémon at the frontmost of the party (excluding the one who is currently sent out) gets sent to the back of the party, and the next in line takes its place. This happens for two reasons:
1. It is similar to "drawing a card"
2. It limits the powerful switching option to a small section of your party, instead of a constant 23 other mons.
So now, Dragalge is at the back of the invisible (to the player) line, behind Tapu Fini.

But look! The heart of the cards has heard our prayers, and our Clefable has appeared! Sceptile's Leaf Blade can only 4HKO our Unaware defensive clefable, so we switch to it.

After switching and taking 31.9% damage from Sceptile's Leaf Blade, we need to take note of two things:

1. Our current hand has changed once again:
:clefable: :landorus-therian: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tangela: :regieleki: :pelipper:
(in terms of order, Tapu Lele has gone to the back of the line before Quagsire was switched out, so Quagsire is in the last slot of the party.)
2. We just used our first "switch".

To ensure the metagame doesn't turn into a stall fest, especially with regenerator, volt switch, flip turn, etc., every player is limited to a 40-turn switch limit. On the 41st switch, the player loses by deckout. This is similar to losing by running out of cards in a card game.

Back to the battle. We're confident in our Clefable switch, so we decide to set up a Calm mind. But our lucky opponent crits our Clefable with an Iron Tail, knocking it out! Really? Who runs Iron Tail Sceptile?

Something big just happened. We may have 23 mons left, but we can only afford to lose five more. Once a player loses 6 Pokémon, he loses the game by defeat. This is similar to losing a TCG game, by letting your opponent get six prize cards.

However, upon looking at our team, we see this:

:clefable: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tangela: :regieleki: :pelipper: :tapu koko:
:venusaur: :scyther: :blacephalon: :silvally-electric: :heatran: :kyurem:
:crawdaunt: :alakazam: :corviknight: :torkoal: :umbreon: :dragapult:
:sceptile: :tapu fini: :dragalge: :tapu lele: :quagsire: :landorus-therian:

We get to choose from all our remaining 23 mons! On some special conditions, such as fainting, you'll be able to choose from your whole team instead of your current hand. However, when doing so, your team will be reshuffled. Upon sending out a new Pokémon, the fainted mon will permanently move to the back of the line, and stay there, immune to reshuffling or moving up the deck.

And... I think that should give you a good idea of how to play this meta!

Here's the rules!
Base metagame: OU (and, if this is successful, maybe a NatDex one eventually!)
Minimum number of mons: 24
Bans: Beat Up, phasing moves
Unbans: Baton Pass
Clauses:
Baton Pass Clause: Baton pass chains are forbidden. If a Pokémon has been Baton Passed to, it may not Baton Pass.
Dynamax Clause: The player may not Dynamax or Gigantamax any of their Pokémon.
Evasion Clause: Evasiveness-boosting moves and abilities are banned.
Switching Clause: The player may only switch between the five Pokémon at the top of their box. The topmost Pokémon gets sent to the bottom at the start of a turn.
Deckout clause: The player may only switch up to 40 times before losing.
Species clause: The player may not have two or more Pokémon who share the same Pokédex number.
OHKO Clause: A Pokémon may not have any OHKO moves in its moveset.
Also thinking of adding Sleep Clause, and a "Tier Clause" that limits the amount of OU Pokémon on a team if we see the same Pokémon all the time. This will, however, require suspect testing before implementation.

Situations where switching is limited:
-When choosing a move
-When using a pivot move (the previously frontmost pokémon will already be at the back of the line)
-When baton passing (the previously frontmost pokémon will already be at the back of the line)
Situations where switching is unrestricted:
-When triggered by an item such as red card, eject button or eject pack
-on fainting
-possibly emergency exit?

This took a while to write and I have to eat, so I'll stop my post here, but I think I've given you some food for thought. Did I miss any glaring bans? Got any juicy theorymonning? Burning questions? Groovy reccomendations? Let me have 'em! Thanks for the read, folks!

Last edited:
CARD CLASH
Ik this could be disappointing to hear since u took so long to make it, but unfortunately I think its too complex to be an actually successful om. Just my take[/QUOTE]

Ik this could be disappointing to hear since u took so long to make it, but unfortunately I think its too complex to be an actually successful om. Just my take
Personally, I think it’s less complex than Chimera 1v1, but thanks for the input. It might seem more complex than it is.

Last edited:
I have an Interesting Meta:
Balanced Stat Total
Rules are:
  1. Whoever has the highest score at the end of the battle wins
    1. Score=(2x Total damage [In HP] done to the opposing team+ 750 [If your team has less TBST and won]) / TBST [Total Base Stat Total]
  2. TBST is all of your Pokémons' BST added together (Eviolite and Pokémon Specific Items, do not effect TBST [Except Rusted Sword/Shield])
    1. If you have less than 6 Pokémon, then their BST is put through an equation that would make it appear that there are 6 mons
      1. If you have 1 Pokémon: TBST*6
      2. 2 Pokémon: TBST*3
      3. 3 Pokémon: TBST*2
      4. 4 Pokémon: TBST/2*3
      5. 5 Pokémon: TBST/5*6
      6. * Note: Form Changes do not effect TBST *
  3. During gameplay players will be able to see both their damage score and their TBST count right under it next to the Pokémon's move set
  4. Normal OU bans (I Would've put Uber but set ups w/ one Uber and all LC Pokémon would devastate other teams)
    1. Additional Bans: Shedinja (Because it has 1 HP and can do Way more than just 1 HP worth of damage to the opponents and it has a low BST), and more may be added.

1. Sample Team: Base Stat Terrible Sample (pokepast.es)

Last edited:
I have an Interesting Meta:
Base Stat Terrible
Little marketing tip: try to avoid naming your metagame negatively if you want it to look good. Maybe Base Stat Throwdown? Base Stat Triumph? Base Stat Tactics? (Terrible just tells us you don't think highly of your metagame idea, so why should we?)

Rules are:

1. Whoever has the highest score at the end of the battle wins
    1. Score=(2x Total damage [In HP] done to the opposing team+ 750 [If your team has less TBST and won]) / TBST [Total Base Stat Total]
Seems to me like this would just promote underpowered teams at first, in hopes of getting that +750 boost. Then, after getting crushed by regular OU teams, stall teams will take over. That's just my prediction though.

Also, do you have any way of showing to your players how much damage they've dealt overall? And does the battle end when a player runs out of mons? Or is there a type of turn limit? How will you counter LC mons with endeavor + focus sash/sturdy/shell bell? What about final gambit/(misty) explosion/selfdestruct/memento? The opponent doesn't deal damage to you during these moves, but do they count towards your HP loss?

That's what I can think of for now. Don't let this bring you down, instead don't be afraid of changing up your meta! ;)

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
CARD CLASH

Premise: Both players start with a box of 24 mons. There are two ways to lose in this metagame:
2. The first player to switch pokémon more than 40 times loses the duel. (loss by deckout)
A player cannot switch freely to his other 23 mons. After picking his lead at the start of the battle, his team order is then randomized. With a few exceptions, he can then only view and select only the first five pokémon at the top of the box.

Here we have a regular box full of, for demonstration purposes, random OU-legal pokémon, as seen in the teambuilder. Wow, look at all those mons!

After matching with another player on the ladder and saying gl hf to each other, we pick a lead. Today, we're in a Quagsire kind of mood, so we'll pick Quagsire as our lead. The remaining 23 team members then get their team position shuffled around, and we end up with this team order (left to right, then top to bottom):

:quagsire: :dragalge: :tapu lele: :landorus-therian: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tangela:
:clefable: :regieleki: :pelipper: :tapu koko: :venusaur: :scyther:
:blacephalon: :silvally-electric: :heatran: :kyurem: :crawdaunt: :alakazam:
:corviknight: :torkoal: :umbreon: :dragapult: :sceptile: :tapu fini:
(note: if you have a Zoroark, you also get to pick who gets priority to be in the final slot. This is counterintuitive though, for reasons we'll see later.)

But! This is not what the player sees! After sending out Quagsire, the player looks at his team and sees this:

Barring our active Quagsire, we can only see and freely switch between the first five pokémon in our party (our "hand").

But it looks like we won't need to do that, because our opponent sent out a Coalossal! Predicting a switch, we go for a Toxic. As predicted, the opposing Coalossal switches out, a Sceptile comes in, and we miss our Toxic. Damn you, 95% accuracy!

This is bad. Sceptile threatens us, so we'd better switch. But when we look at our hand, we see this:

:quagsire: :tapu lele: :landorus-therian: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tangela: :clefable:

Oh no! Our Dragalge is gone! This is because every turn, the Pokémon at the frontmost of the party (excluding the one who is currently sent out) gets sent to the back of the party, and the next in line takes its place. This happens for two reasons:
2. It limits the powerful switching option to a small section of your party, instead of a constant 23 other mons.
So now, Dragalge is at the back of the invisible (to the player) line, behind Tapu Fini.

But look! The heart of the cards has heard our prayers, and our Clefable has appeared! Sceptile's Leaf Blade can only 4HKO our Unaware defensive clefable, so we switch to it.

After switching and taking 31.9% damage from Sceptile's Leaf Blade, we need to take note of two things:

:clefable: :landorus-therian: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tangela: :regieleki: :pelipper:
(in terms of order, Tapu Lele has gone to the back of the line before Quagsire was switched out, so Quagsire is in the last slot of the party.)

To ensure the metagame doesn't turn into a stall fest, especially with regenerator, volt switch, flip turn, etc., every player is limited to a 40-turn switch limit. On the 41st switch, the player loses by deckout. This is similar to losing by running out of cards in a card game.

Back to the battle. We're confident in our Clefable switch, so we decide to set up a Calm mind. But our lucky opponent crits our Clefable with an Iron Tail, knocking it out! Really? Who runs Iron Tail Sceptile?

Something big just happened. We may have 23 mons left, but we can only afford to lose five more. Once a player loses 6 Pokémon, he loses the game by defeat. This is similar to losing a TCG game, by letting your opponent get six prize cards.

We get to choose from all our remaining 23 mons! On some special conditions, such as fainting, you'll be able to choose from your whole team instead of your current hand. However, when doing so, your team will be reshuffled. Upon sending out a new Pokémon, the fainted mon will permanently move to the back of the line, and stay there, immune to reshuffling or moving up the deck.

Here's the rules!
Clauses:
Baton Pass Clause: Baton pass chains are forbidden. If a Pokémon has been Baton Passed to, it may not Baton Pass.
Switching Clause: The player may only switch between the five Pokémon at the top of their box. The topmost Pokémon gets sent to the bottom at the start of a turn.
Species clause: The player may not have two or more Pokémon who share the same Pokédex number.
Also thinking of adding Sleep Clause, and a "Tier Clause" that limits the amount of OU Pokémon on a team if we see the same Pokémon all the time. This will, however, require suspect testing before implementation.

-When choosing a move
-When using a pivot move (the previously frontmost pokémon will already be at the back of the line)
-When baton passing (the previously frontmost pokémon will already be at the back of the line)
-on fainting

This took a while to write and I have to eat, so I'll stop my post here, but I think I've given you some food for thought. Did I miss any glaring bans? Got any juicy theorymonning? Burning questions? Groovy reccomendations? Let me have 'em! Thanks for the read, folks!
I think this has a lot of potential but is bogged down by making things too complicated and having some weird rules that seem to make it more annoying to play than anything.

The parts I like are the randomized team structure and "card drawing" aspects, especially because it makes good use of the 24 box size while keeping things manageable. Losing when you drop six mons is something I also like as it emulates the standard ruleset of play.

Having your available party change every turn sounds frustrating and a bit too chaotic. I think it'd be better if every time you switched something out, that mon was sent back into your "deck" and a new mon replaced it. This would add a bit more strategy to switching and let you plan out your next moves with more depth, in my opinion.

The rules for fainting seem fair; unrestricted switching however should only apply when something faints, that means the benefit of unrestricted switches only comes from having already incured a penalty. Trust me, if it is tied to items or abilities, people WILL abuse it, and I doubt that was your intention.

The 40 switch limit also feels really arbitrary as a "i dont like stall" implementation. I mean I get it, 24 mons is pretty big for Stall and it definitely has a lot to gain from the metas mechanics, but I still think it is a bit overblown. If anything it might backfire as one of the best ways to beat Stall is aggressive switching. Sadly I don't have any ideas for reworking/replacing this rule, if it were up to me I'd just trash it. If you're that worried about Stall overbearing the metagame I think it'd be best to observe how things play out and look towards banning the most problematic elements (should they arrise) rather than try to add clauses that may not even work as intended. It could turn out that fast-pased games are the norm and all the switch rule does is make you lose a random game every so often because you forgot.

Probably my biggest concern would be if this can be coded, which is a very real and unfortunate reason for something to not be possible as an OM. Would be another benefit of simplifying the mechanics a tad.

CARD CLASH

:clefable: :regieleki: :pelipper: :tapu koko: :venusaur: :scyther:
:blacephalon: :silvally-electric: :heatran: :kyurem: :crawdaunt: :alakazam:
:corviknight: :torkoal: :umbreon: :dragapult: :sceptile: :tapu fini:

Here's the rules!
Clauses:

-When choosing a move
-on fainting

This is a really cool idea for a meta. The main thing I'd say is that it doesn't really make sense for your hand to change every turn, since I don't think it works like that in TCG, and overall it would make the meta feel a lot more RNG reliant and worse to play. I would suggest just placing the pokemon at the bottom of the deck after switching out, and moving every mon up the line in order after switching (so you effectively trade your current mon for a random one in your hand every time you switch out). This would also increase the viability of Zoroark, as there wouldn't be any problems with changing the mon that Illusion bases itself on, and you could force a certain mon to the bottom of your deck if you want. Very cool idea overall though, and I hope to see it get approved!

I think this has a lot of potential but is bogged down by making things too complicated and having some weird rules that seem to make it more annoying to play than anything.
First of all: thank you! For taking the time to read and evaluate my submission!
The parts I like are the randomized team structure and "card drawing" aspects, especially because it makes good use of the 24 box size while keeping things manageable. Losing when you drop six mons is something I also like as it emulates the standard ruleset of play.
Quick disclaimer here: not a Pokémon TCG player, seeing a few games is probs the extent of my involvement with the Pokémon TCG. I based this metagame with a mix of Pokémon TCG and Yu-Gi-Oh!, but in the end, this is of course its own game. It's nice to see that I've brought a sense of familiarity to players familiar with the TCG.
Having your available party change every turn sounds frustrating and a bit too chaotic.
So I don't know if this was communicated clearly enough, but the way the "hand" works is that the mons don't shuffle around randomly: they are always in a set order randomly determined at the start of the battle.

So after choosing our Quagsire lead, the game generated this order:
1. :quagsire: 2. :dragalge: 3. :tapu lele: 4. :landorus-therian: 5. :urshifu-rapid-strike: 6. :tangela:
7. :clefable: 8. :regieleki: 9. :pelipper: 10. :tapu koko: 11. :venusaur: 12. :scyther:
13. :blacephalon: 14. :silvally-electric: 15. :heatran: 16. :kyurem: 17. :crawdaunt: 18. :alakazam:
19. :corviknight: 20. :torkoal: 21. :umbreon: 22. :dragapult: 23. :sceptile: 24. :tapu fini:

When a turn ends, the Pokémon in position 2 goes at the end of the line, 3 takes its place, 4 takes the place of 3, 5 takes the place of 4, and so on, so on. So when a Pokémon comes up in slot 6, the player can choose to switch to it for 5 turns before it goes away. This is still strategic, but also ensures a way that the other Pokémon in the deck can regularly show up in the player's hand.

If this was clear, and despite that you still think it's annoying, that's allright.

EDIT 2021-07-09: I have updated the original post to include the numbering on the deck order.
I think it'd be better if every time you switched something out, that mon was sent back into your "deck" and a new mon replaced it. This would add a bit more strategy to switching and let you plan out your next moves with more depth, in my opinion.
This, combined with your proposal of removing the switch limit, would make switching very very frequent. Switching back and forth until you get that one mon or the perfect hand would just go against the "randomized deck" aspect the meta attempts to emulate. Unless you're Daniel J. D'Arby a charlatan, you won't know the entire order of a deck of cards before a game, and if players are just going to spend their game reorganizing their deck... they're not playing, they're inconvenienced. I personally don't want my meta to just be a regular first-to-6-KOs 24v24 where you choose your entire team order at the start: that's just Custom Game with extra steps.
The rules for fainting seem fair; unrestricted switching however should only apply when something faints, that means the benefit of unrestricted switches only comes from having already incured a penalty. Trust me, if it is tied to items or abilities, people WILL abuse it, and I doubt that was your intention.
Fair point: my thought process was limiting unrestricted switch to things that can't be repeatedly exploited (items are consumed, EE only activates once per battle), but I guess I forgot one of the fundamental rules of game design:

"People spam Hadoukens"

The 40 switch limit also feels really arbitrary as a "i dont like stall" implementation. I mean I get it, 24 mons is pretty big for Stall and it definitely has a lot to gain from the metas mechanics, but I still think it is a bit overblown. If anything it might backfire as one of the best ways to beat Stall is aggressive switching. Sadly I don't have any ideas for reworking/replacing this rule, if it were up to me I'd just trash it. If you're that worried about Stall overbearing the metagame I think it'd be best to observe how things play out and look towards banning the most problematic elements (should they arrise) rather than try to add clauses that may not even work as intended. It could turn out that fast-pased games are the norm and all the switch rule does is make you lose a random game every so often because you forgot.
"I don't like stall" isn't the only reason: aside from real deckouts in card games, switching moves like Pshot, Vswitch, Uturn, Fturn and Baton Pass could become common, seeing as it gives you a free switch (with benefits) while also looking at which mon you just drew. Great pivots like Dragapult and Tapu Koko would probably dominate the meta, acting as an effective "pot of greed". Plus, even with the clause preventing chains, I don't think Baton Passing should be free. But I'm down to have a couple tests beforehand to see if it really is necessary.
(sorry for the font change, I can't find the original one.)

Probably my biggest concern would be if this can be coded, which is a very real and unfortunate reason for something to not be possible as an OM. Would be another benefit of simplifying the mechanics a tad.
I agree, coding this wouldn't be a breeze, but I think it is possible. I'm not a coding guy, but I think this might help any devs who could probably look for some implementation ideas:

-Baton Pass clause: Along with baton passing their stat boosts and everything, the baton passer also gives to the recipient a tag called "Baton Passed" that shows under their lifebar (like with stats). A mon with the "Baton Passed" tag can't use Baton Pass.
-Switching clause (or hiding your full party): 1v1 already hides your other two pokémon in the "switch" section when in battle: maybe work from there?
-Deckout Clause: Super Staff Bros. sends chat messages on switch. Maybe use that logic to increase a counter instead of sending a message? The switch counter could probably be displayed in chat when switching (Mike Hawk withdrew Excavalier! (36 switches left))
-Only 6 Pokémon can die: First blood? Also, Staff Bros. sends messages on death too, use the same counter method there?

Anyways, thanks again for your criticism, very appreciated! Hope you have a good day!

Last edited:
This is a really cool idea for a meta. The main thing I'd say is that it doesn't really make sense for your hand to change every turn, since I don't think it works like that in TCG, and overall it would make the meta feel a lot more RNG reliant and worse to play. I would suggest just placing the pokemon at the bottom of the deck after switching out, and moving every mon up the line in order after switching (so you effectively trade your current mon for a random one in your hand every time you switch out). This would also increase the viability of Zoroark, as there wouldn't be any problems with changing the mon that Illusion bases itself on, and you could force a certain mon to the bottom of your deck if you want. Very cool idea overall though, and I hope to see it get approved!
This is kind of how it works! Like I just replied in the post above, the hand isn't randomized: rather, your oldest pokémon goes to the bottom of the deck, and the next in line comes in. If you take a look at the order of the mons, you'll see that it follows that list perfectly. (though apperently this isn't very clear: I'll make some changes to clarify that).

But thank you for the interest! And Zoroark's Imposter does sound very cool in this meta.

1625830245476.png

SHEDINJeD
The premise of the meta is simple: All pokémon have wonder guard in adition to its regular ability, and all Pokémon have hard 1 HP. The strategy is use some interesting status moves and potent coverage moves to dispatch opponents. It is meant to be a very fast paced game, with KO happening really fast. Since the only stat that matters is speed, theres no banned pokémon

Important items:
:focus sash: avoinding a KO is always nice
:safety goggles: Good against weather
:heavy duty boots: hazards are even more dangerous in this meta
:lum berry: status and confusion are also omnipresent
:rocky helmet: better than destiny bond

Important moves:
Priority moves: bullet punch, ice shard and accelerock get some meta treats easily
Hazards: koing any non boots user
Lower bp covergae moves: this is the only meta where you prefer use ember over flamethrower because of more pp
Trap moves: good for avoiding focus sash
Taunt: because reasons...
Toxic: kill anything that inst purple or white

Potential strategies:

:ss/whimsicott: :ss/cottonee:
Leech Seed
Leech Seed is really strong, only grass types and magic guard can avoid it. but it only works at the end of the turn, with right coverage you can avoid being killed by it. But its still really strong, even worst when cast by prankster users. ban worthy

:ss/clefable: :ss/clefairy: :ss/cleffa: :ss/reuniclus: :ss/duosion: :ss/solosis: :ss/alakazam: :ss/kadabra: :ss/abra:
Magic Guard
Speaking of magic guard, nothing will stop you from running at least three of those or a full team of these, maybe it is too strong and centralizing, but bullet punch and psychic weakness arent that rare, althrough a clause of max one per team may help the meta. Also skill swap and gastro acid may be useful.

:ss/sableye: :ss/ninetales: :ss/dragapult: :ss/mewtwo:
Will-o-Wisp
A lowered down leech seed, except it has lower accuracy and can be blocked by some abilities and items, however it doesnt need to be alive at the end of the turn, some pokémon also can take away an unwated weather like ninetales summoning sun, mewtwo can use with unnerve to bypass lum berry

:ss/crobat: :ss/dragapult: :ss/calyrex-shadow: :ss/mewtwo:
Confuse Ray
Also another strong play, althrough really annoying, it bypass magic guard through

:ss/salazzle: :ss/salandit:
Corrosion
Walled only by immunity and Lum berry, but these guys are easily dispatched by hazards or weather, its impossible to protect them fully

:ss/vanilluxe: :ss/vanillish: :ss/vanillite:
Hail
finally hail is useful, althrough hard countered by safety googles and other weathers

:ss/hippowdon: :ss/hippopotas:
Sandstorm
Not as good as hail, but still useful

:ss/mandibuzz: :ss/shelgon: :ss/escavalier:
Overcoat
Protecting against any weather, while having few weakness is always welcome

:ss/sandslash-alola: :ss/mamoswine:
Hazards + priority
Ice shard + hazard can help a lot, sandlash and mamoswine are already immune to both weathers, snow cloak may help with some rng

:ss/nidoking: :ss/nidoqueen: :ss/clefable:
Coverage
Althrough not as useful as status moves, any mon with a colorful movepool can take advantage of surprise hits, Nidoking particulary can run almost everything this meta has to offer, so moveset revealing takes a bit part in this, and has protection against poision and sandstorm

And ofc theres many other strategies...

Which mechanics you guys think outstand after others (aside from magic guard)
Do you guys thinks this meta would be fun?
Would prediction rellies a lot more than strategy?

Last edited:
Initial impression: hooo boy. Sounds like a meta where surviving is a coin flip. At this point, you're not playing a strategic game, you're just chucking rocks at eachother's houses of cards, and while it can be fun for some, I usually prefer Metronome Battle for this sort of thing.
But I don't want to completely shut down your idea, so let's talk more about how it could be improved.
The premise of the meta is simple: All pokémon have wonder guard in adition to its regular ability, and all Pokémon have hard 1 HP. The strategy is use some interesting status moves and potent coverage moves to dispatch opponents. It is meant to be a very fast paced game, with KO happening really fast. Since the only stat that matters is speed, theres no banned pokémon
Did you put "interested" and "potent" as a way to garnish your sentence? Cause Toxic, Will-o-Wisp and Leech Seed are pretty common and since everything is at 1 HP, nothing's really "potent" since everything kills...
I'm sorry, it just popped out at me and I had to point it out.
Important items:
Seems like the meta will revolve around these. From the way I see it, you're just gonna be putting two items two fight each other, both equipped with Pokémon. That's... oddly interesting. But I think people will get bored of only having 5 viable items: your meta may become stale quickly.
Also protective pads
Important moves:
Priority moves: bullet punch, ice shard and accelerock get some meta treats easily
Lower bp covergae moves: this is the only meta where you prefer use ember over flamethrower because of more pp
Please explain Taunt. If it plays a huge role in the metagame (as anything under a section called "important moves" does), then it deserves to be explained correctly. Also I'd say purple and grey, not purple and white, but that's just me.
Potential strategies:

Leech Seed
Leech Seed is really strong, only grass types and magic guard can avoid it. but it only works at the end of the turn, with right coverage you can avoid being killed by it. But its still really strong, even worst when cast by prankster users. ban worthy
Not really ban worthy. If you cast leech seed and die on the same turn, your opponent still lives. Grass types are also immune, so are dark types (if used by prankster), and magic guard. Liquid Ooze could actually be a very cool counterplay here. Using pivot moves will also freely let the seeded pokémon remove its seeds.
:ss/clefable: :ss/clefairy: :ss/cleffa: :ss/reuniclus: :ss/duosion: :ss/solosis: :ss/alakazam: :ss/kadabra: :ss/abra:
Magic Guard
Speaking of magic guard, nothing will stop you from running at least three of those or a full team of these, maybe it is too strong and centralizing, but bullet punch and psychic weakness arent that rare, althrough a clause of max one per team may help the meta. Also skill swap and gastro acid may be useful.
Skill Swap/Gastro Acid sounds like a guaranteed switch.
Will-o-Wisp
A lowered down leech seed, except it has lower accuracy and can be blocked by some abilities and items, however it doesnt need to be alive at the end of the turn, some pokémon also can take away an unwated weather like ninetales summoning sun, mewtwo can use with unnerve to bypass lum berry

Confuse Ray
Also another strong play, althrough really annoying, it bypass magic guard through
Swagger also fits here.
Corrosion
Walled only by immunity and Lum berry, but these guys are easily dispatched by hazards or weather, its impossible to protect them fully
As are the rest of the Pokémon in the meta. These girls though are immune to burn and poison (unless it's another salamander causing it).
Hail
finally hail is useful, althrough hard countered by safety googles

Sandstorm

Overcoat

Hazards + priority
Ice shard + hazard can help a lot, sandlash and mamoswine are already immune to both weathers, snow cloak may help with some rng
As luck-dependent as this metagame will already be item-wise, I'd really really reccommend putting up an evasion clause.
Coverage
Althrough not as useful as status moves, any mon with a colorful movepool can take advantage of surprise hits, Nidoking particulary can run almost everything this meta has to offer, so moveset revealing takes a bit part in this, and has protection against poision and sandstorm
Another good part of this meta: weak coverage moves finally have a reason to be run!

Sturdy. Oh my god, Sturdy. Skarmory with safety goggles will only go down to leech seed or burn, the former of which can be removed by rapid spin and the latter who can be prevented by safeguard.
Mold Breaker invalidates the entire metagame, as does turboblaze, teravolt, Sunsteel Strike, Monngeist Beam and Photon Geyser.
Corrosive Gas will be better than Knock Off.
Endure.
It... certainly would kill time. I'd say as fun as Metronome Battle, maybe. But where's the fun if you can't use the funny legs?
Would prediction rely a lot more than strategy?
I'd say luck really would be the deciding factor in this one. Also, some matches may stalemate? If you've got two pokémon unable to inflict damage to each other due to natural resistances or items, wyd?

Don't be afraid to take some time to rework your meta! That's what this thread is here for!
Good luck! :D

I'd really want to develop and workshop both of my metagames (Slot Swap and Card Clash) in real-time with the OM council, or metagame experts. Of course, I do plan on submitting them eventually, but seeing as I do not play much OU and my ideas are a bit complex, it would be fun to create in real-time with an OM expert. (I'm also in the mood for creating rn).

The metagame workshop is great, but I don't want to spam the message board with questions about my metas when I don't have enough POVs or input to take a second, objective look at them. And sometimes, they can get ignored, due to previous or new metagame ideas being posted, and having 2-3 different analyses going on at a time.

Is there a place where I can develop with OM experts in real-time? Maybe on the OM discord?

Important items:

Important moves:

Potential strategies:

Leech Seed

Magic Guard

Will-o-Wisp

Confuse Ray

Corrosion

Hail
finally hail is useful, althrough hard countered by safety googles and other weathers

Sandstorm

Overcoat

Hazards + priority

Coverage

This is on the list of commonly rejected OM ideas.

Trademons
Metagame premise: In this Metagame, players choose one of their opponent's Pokemon to take for themselves.
Trading is a core mechanic in the Pokemon series where you can give another player your own Pokemon for their's and can be credited as the reason why the game series is as successful. Such a mechanic is completely cooperative in normal gameplay, but what if such a mechanic became competitive?
Potential bans and threats: Due to the the nature of this metagame, there is not much potential for anything being ban worthy, but a few strategies can be pretty dominant. In fact, several strategies become outright terrible if you use regular OU teams. How ever, there is a whole new strategy of bait potential you can use.
-Bait Pokemon (maybe)
:ss/Vanilluxe: :ss/Ninetales: :ss/Landorus-Therian: :ss/Shuckle: :ss/Shedinja: :ss/Clefable: :ss/Cresselia: :ss/Durant:
The idea of these Pokemon is to bait your into picking a Pokemon that seemingly important to the rest of your team, but in actuality, makes the game a 6v5 match. It's risky, but if you can build your team with a plan when your opponent doesn't fall for your bait, such as still having Pokemon that abuse weather or having Pokemon that take advantage of Memento debuffs. You can still also technically abuse Explosion with Choice Band to at least do a lot of damage, having a Ghost type on your own team so your opponent can't abuse it. You can even use Durant with Truant and Magnezone to give yourself easy Iron Defense boosts. If you are really risky, use Heal Pulse.

And honestly, that's about it for potential threats.
Like I said, most Pokemon are nerf in this Metagame since your opponent choose which Pokemon to take, making it so strategies like Weather require 2 of sand stream users and sand rush users, and your opponent can take your best Pokemon on the team. It's hard to predict anything being more broken here than it would be in regular OU, but it's easy to predict that which Pokemon will be nerfed more than others. It's more up to creative teambuilding where each Pokemon on your team has means to beat, such as having your less desirable teammate outspeed your own Pokemon by 1 point, or having checks to your offensive attackers.

Questions for the community:
-What should happen if a Play picks a Pokemon that is already on their team? Like if you already have Tyranitar on your team, and your opponent also has Tyranitar, what happens when you select that Tyranitar?
-Similarly, what should happen if 2 players have identical teams? If you have 1 similar Pokemon to your opponent, you could still choose 5 others, but what about you having all your Pokemon be the same as your opponent? This is assuming in the first question it is restricted to pick Pokemon you already own.
-Should determining team order for teams that use Zoroark come before or after the trade?

Trademons
Metagame premise: In this Metagame, players choose one of their opponent's Pokemon to take for themselves.
Trading is a core mechanic in the Pokemon series where you can give another player your own Pokemon for their's and can be credited as the reason why the game series is as successful. Such a mechanic is completely cooperative in normal gameplay, but what if such a mechanic became competitive?
Potential bans and threats: Due to the the nature of this metagame, there is not much potential for anything being ban worthy, but a few strategies can be pretty dominant. In fact, several strategies become outright terrible if you use regular OU teams. How ever, there is a whole new strategy of bait potential you can use.
-Bait Pokemon (maybe)
:ss/Vanilluxe: :ss/Ninetales: :ss/Landorus-Therian: :ss/Shuckle: :ss/Shedinja: :ss/Clefable: :ss/Cresselia: :ss/Durant:
The idea of these Pokemon is to bait your into picking a Pokemon that seemingly important to the rest of your team, but in actuality, makes the game a 6v5 match. It's risky, but if you can build your team with a plan when your opponent doesn't fall for your bait, such as still having Pokemon that abuse weather or having Pokemon that take advantage of Memento debuffs. You can still also technically abuse Explosion with Choice Band to at least do a lot of damage, having a Ghost type on your own team so your opponent can't abuse it. You can even use Durant with Truant and Magnezone to give yourself easy Iron Defense boosts. If you are really risky, use Heal Pulse.

And honestly, that's about it for potential threats.
Like I said, most Pokemon are nerf in this Metagame since your opponent choose which Pokemon to take, making it so strategies like Weather require 2 of sand stream users and sand rush users, and your opponent can take your best Pokemon on the team. It's hard to predict anything being more broken here than it would be in regular OU, but it's easy to predict that which Pokemon will be nerfed more than others. It's more up to creative teambuilding where each Pokemon on your team has means to beat, such as having your less desirable teammate outspeed your own Pokemon by 1 point, or having checks to your offensive attackers.

Questions for the community:
-What should happen if a Play picks a Pokemon that is already on their team? Like if you already have Tyranitar on your team, and your opponent also has Tyranitar, what happens when you select that Tyranitar?
-Similarly, what should happen if 2 players have identical teams? If you have 1 similar Pokemon to your opponent, you could still choose 5 others, but what about you having all your Pokemon be the same as your opponent? This is assuming in the first question it is restricted to pick Pokemon you already own.
-Should determining team order for teams that use Zoroark come before or after the trade?
I've actually submitted an idea like this myself. It was well received by the approval team, but was ultimately rejected for technical reasons. The way Showdown is set up currently, this meta isn't feasible to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)