The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed that. Anyways I didnt see anything in the playoffs that makes believe they will take a step back this season. They are one of the best coached, complete teams in the league.

I'm really not seing a huge Saints rebound this year.

Sure, they'll have Payton back, but how much he'll be worth it to this team is the real question. The issues the Saints had were entirely defensive, and as we all know he's the brains behind the offense instead. They lost their left tackle and don't have a clear replacement for him for this upcoming season, and they're switching to an entirely new defensive scheme without having any of the pieces for it (most notably, an OLB that can rush the passer).

The Saints' schedule, along with the rest of the NFC South's, is pretty intense. The NFC West might be the best division in football, and they all have to play New England and Miami in addition to each other. New Orleans has it rough; @ Chicago, @ New England, @ Seattle, @ St. Louis, Vs Dallas, Vs San Francisco, and of course six games against divisional opponents. Their new defense should be better than the worst defense of all time, and the offense should see some more consistent playcalling, but unless they see a very large improvement I can't imagine them winning more than 10 games.

Of course I'm super biased against the Saints, because fuck them that's why.

The Bengals have been average (or worse) for years yet have still limped into the playoffs, but I don't see that happening this time. "Garbage" is a little harsh, as that defense is definitely good, but the offense needs improvement desperately. Eifert and Bernard can provide that improvement - maybe. I can't see them making the playoffs either, but that whole division is in for a down year so someone has to take it. Still wouldn't bet against the SB champs in 2013 though.

Both the AFC WC spots are up for grabs again, probably between Miami, KC, whoever's 2nd and 3rd in the North, and the Colts and maybe Titans in the South. I think we'll see at least one of these teams actually step up amongst the mediocrity and actually earn that spot.

Well the defense did play alright against Green Bay... But GB folds to any team with even the most pedestrian pass rush. And eh again, Kapp helped way too much. Against the Falcons the D was a no show, except a clear pass inteference in the end. They made Joe Flacco look like 2011 Brees too. So yeah that D really took a huge step back later in the season.

I also have no faith in Kapp. No basis for that, other than the eye test. He will struggle a lot this year.

I'm really not seing a huge Saints rebound this year.

Sure, they'll have Payton back, but how much he'll be worth it to this team is the real question. The issues the Saints had were entirely defensive, and as we all know he's the brains behind the offense instead. They lost their left tackle and don't have a clear replacement for him for this upcoming season, and they're switching to an entirely new defensive scheme without having any of the pieces for it (most notably, an OLB that can rush the passer).

The Saints' schedule, along with the rest of the NFC South's, is pretty intense. The NFC West might be the best division in football, and they all have to play New England and Miami in addition to each other. New Orleans has it rough; @ Chicago, @ New England, @ Seattle, @ St. Louis, Vs Dallas, Vs San Francisco, and of course six games against divisional opponents. Their new defense should be better than the worst defense of all time, and the offense should see some more consistent playcalling, but unless they see a very large improvement I can't imagine them winning more than 10 games.

Of course I'm super biased against the Saints, because fuck them that's why.

The Bengals have been average (or worse) for years yet have still limped into the playoffs, but I don't see that happening this time. "Garbage" is a little harsh, as that defense is definitely good, but the offense needs improvement desperately. Eifert and Bernard can provide that improvement - maybe. I can't see them making the playoffs either, but that whole division is in for a down year so someone has to take it. Still wouldn't bet against the SB champs in 2013 though.

Both the AFC WC spots are up for grabs again, probably between Miami, KC, whoever's 2nd and 3rd in the North, and the Colts and maybe Titans in the South. I think we'll see at least one of these teams actually step up amongst the mediocrity and actually earn that spot.

Victor Butler (who played with Rob Ryan in Dallas) was signed to be their main pass rusher in their new 3-4 defense .He just tore his ACL and is out for the year. So thats not a good start. I agree they dont have the pieces for a 3-4. Under Ryan, Dallas was a middle ranked defense and they had Demarcus Ware. Its hard to think the Saints will be better. It all depends on how dominant they are on offense.

I don't know why people are even bothering with discussion anymore, the Patriots won the Super Bowl the second they signed Football Jesus to be the backup for the only man God considers an equal.

Im not sure how many people here read PFW (Pro Football Weekly), but after 46 years they are going out of business. Their last Season Preview magazine came out a few days ago and I thought I would post their predictions.

New England 11-5 lol nice undersell
Miami 9-7 i think tannehill is overrated but meh
Buffalo 7-9 lol they'll be in the running for clowney
New York 5-11 lol they'll be in the running for bridgewater

Cincinnati 10-6 Cincy could be better than 10-6, I really like Dalton and they're loaded with talent offensively, they just need a real running game
Baltimore 10-6 (WC) seems about right
Pittsburgh 9-7 they could be better but this is a semi-rebuild year
Cleveland 6-10 lol maybe if weeden is good

Houston 10-6 a bit low but meh
Indianapolis 7-9 a bit high if anything unless luck turns into Peyton
Tennessee 6-10 lol no more like 4-12
Jacksonville 4-12 about right

Denver 10-6 what's with elite teams going 10-6
Kansas City 10-6 (WC) Not this year.
San Diego 8-8 That team sucks, 6-10 max. Poor Rivers.
Oakland 4-12

New York 9-7 On the one hand, Giants had their off-year swoon, on the other hand, talent-wise they're clearly the #3 team
Dallas 7-9 garrett's shit coaching and their godawful OL could fuck them but they still have the talent to go 10-6
Washington 7-9 uh RGIII's on pace to be 100% by camp and we fixed our secondary, and we get orakpo and carricker back
Philadelphia 6-10 lol fucking NO, they're one of the 3 worst teams in the NFL

Green Bay 10-6 Could be better, especially if Lacy gives them a run game.
Chicago 7-9 could be better or worse depending on how well Cutler plays and if the defense gets worse replacing Urlacher (replacing a vet HOF LB is always tough because even if he personally declines he QBs the defense)
Minnesota 7-9 (Reasonable, AP can't god-mode every game and Ponder sucks)
Detroit 5-11 eh, they have way more than 5-11 talent

Atlanta 12-4 lol no, the falcons have WAY too many flaws to be 12-4. Big issues in both trenches and at LB.
New Orleans 10-6 (WC) sure i guess, but Carolina could easily leapfrog them
Carolina 7-9 Carolina I think is more talented top to bottom, probably the most talented top to bottom in the division. It all depends on Cam, if Cam makes a big leap they win the division.
Tampa Bay 7-9 A bit more talented than 7-9 but they play in the NFC south.

San Francisco 13-3 Best team in the NFL by far, 13-3 might be pessimistic.
Seattle 10-6 (WC) Murderous schedule keeps them from being 12-4 or better.
St. Louis 8-8 Murderous schedule keeps them out of playoffs.
Arizona 4-12 Arizona is bad but not 4-12 bad.

no wonder they're going out of business.

Also Tebow isn't wholly unfixable...he just has too much pride (ironic for a supposed Christian, but then many of the Evangelical crowd is like that) to realize he needs to actually work at being a starting QB in the NFL as opposed to simply reading his press clippings. Fact is, he's just as much a team cancer as someone like JaMarcus Russell or TO or whomever, because everything becomes about him. The Patriots are his last chance in the NFL, period.

So a NFL website article I read raised a good point...this is a very odd year for free agency. Just about everyone it seems is getting signed to one year contracts instead of the multiyear deals usually out there, only a couple are getting those. Makes you wonder if those rumors of collusion to not sign big contracts amongst the owners is true or not...

i think that has more to do with the new Cap situation than any sort of conspiracy.

The Eggs are not one the three worst teams in the leauge lol. Any team with arguably the best OL in the game cannot be that bad. Though that depends on their health. An Egg OL with all it starters rivals the 49ers.... Just a little too many ifs. Their real problem is the horrendous secondary. Their best player is injured half the time. But the biggest problem with the Eggs is the QB. Vick is a glorified Mark Sanchez. Worse passer actually. After he gets injured this year they... Screw it wtf was i thinking, 5-11 for the Eggs. I just changed my own mind writing this.

I still think they'll do better than the skins at least lol.

The Giants floor is 9-7. Wether they win more games or win the division with that is unkown. Even if less talented than the Boys and half the teams in the league, they are still a top 4 coached team with a great QB. As long as Eli is healthy the names around him are non important.

The Boys are the most talented team in the division and have the best shot at tying or improving upon the Giants 9-7 minimum. Without injuries, the Boys only question mark is their defense. The new coach and all.

Best coached teams in the league(no particular order):

Giants
Ravens
Steelers
Patriots
Packers

The 49ers will join after two more years of continued success. 2 seasons means shit. These teams have been doing it for the better part of a decade.

e'rbody sleepin on the saints in trouble

Without all the offseason chaos they were clearly going to be a playoff team, with what happened they were clearly not going to be a playoff team (Lions 5-11 and Saints 8-8 or worse were the only real predictions I made). Saints should be great again next season.

The Eggs are not one the three worst teams in the leauge lol. Any team with arguably the best OL in the game cannot be that bad. Though that depends on their health. An Egg OL with all it starters rivals the 49ers.... Just a little too many ifs. Their real problem is the horrendous secondary. Their best player is injured half the time. But the biggest problem with the Eggs is the QB. Vick is a glorified Mark Sanchez. Worse passer actually. After he gets injured this year they... Screw it wtf was i thinking, 5-11 for the Eggs. I just changed my own mind writing this.

I still think they'll do better than the skins at least lol.

The Giants floor is 9-7. Wether they win more games or win the division with that is unkown. Even if less talented than the Boys and half the teams in the league, they are still a top 4 coached team with a great QB. As long as Eli is healthy the names around him are non important.

The Boys are the most talented team in the division and have the best shot at tying or improving upon the Giants 9-7 minimum. Without injuries, the Boys only question mark is their defense. The new coach and all.

Best coached teams in the league(no particular order):

Giants
Ravens
Steelers
Patriots
Packers

The 49ers will join after two more years of continued success. 2 seasons means shit. These teams have been doing it for the better part of a decade.

you're a moron, the 49ers are probably the best coached team in the entire nfl.

you're a moron, the 49ers are probably the best coached team in the entire nfl.

Yet you only have two seasons and your opinion to go on. Just like Rex Ryan, JH walked into a loaded team. It won't stay that way for long.

Get back to me after 8 years if JH is constantly taking his team to the playoffs and in the mix for a SB. And in these 8+ years a record no worse than 8-8.

Sorry, but unlike the rest of you a season(or two) doesn't mean much to me. Give the Patriots, Giants or Steelers top 10 picks for ~6+ years and their teams would look far scarier than the 49ers. JH, so far, is a product of extreme talent. He gets props for using that talent but no way in hell is as good a coach as his brother, Belicheat, Coughlin or McC.

Also Tebow isn't wholly unfixable...he just has too much pride (ironic for a supposed Christian, but then many of the Evangelical crowd is like that) to realize he needs to actually work at being a starting QB in the NFL as opposed to simply reading his press clippings.

May I ask how exactly you know all of this? Unless you're close personal friends with the guy, I sincerely doubt you have all of that wonderful insight on his personality. Hate on the guy as a QB if you wish (we all know he's bad), but don't make blanket statements about his character when all you have to go on is what OTHER people say about him.

It's also kind of unfair to generalize like that about the Christian and evangelical crowd, but this isn't the topic to argue that so I'm not going to pursue it further.

Let's hope that Belichick has some plan for him that suits his talents. He's the best coach in the NFL, so if anyone can utilize Tebow it's him. Unmaking 15+ years of bad QBing habits isn't exactly an overnight job.

Nothing will be more epic at a Patriots / Jets Game at Gilette than the entire stadium Tebowing after the Pats beat the Jets as is their custom. Tickets will fly off the shelves for just a chance at that.

The Giants have been wildly inconsistent for years despite a lot of talent depth in their rosters, and did not even make the playoffs in their Super Bowl defense year.

You are not allowed to criticize the 49ers for not having a long consistent stretch of success and call Coughlin a good coach in the same breath.

Yet you only have two seasons and your opinion to go on. Just like Rex Ryan, JH walked into a loaded team. It won't stay that way for long.

Get back to me after 8 years if JH is constantly taking his team to the playoffs and in the mix for a SB. And in these 8+ years a record no worse than 8-8.

Sorry, but unlike the rest of you a season(or two) doesn't mean much to me. Give the Patriots, Giants or Steelers top 10 picks for ~6+ years and their teams would look far scarier than the 49ers. JH, so far, is a product of extreme talent. He gets props for using that talent but no way in hell is as good a coach as his brother, Belicheat, Coughlin or McC.

this is why you're a moron. you're using their wins and losses as your sole basis of what makes a good coach. that's retarded. harbaugh makes by far the best halftime adjustments in the nfl, is efficient in making the most of his players (see alex smith, a mediocre qb and the transition to kaep), and RARELY EVER makes mistakes. how many times has harbaugh made dumb challenges, made poor clock management decisions, etc? i would bet it's not many!

let's be real here, neither of us are qualified to speak of coaching, but i can see from your posts you're about as clueless as someone could possibly be.

im just loling that 32 regular seasons games and 6? playoff games isn't enough for you to judge anything. that's equally absurd as not paying attention to the little things other than record

The Giants have been wildly inconsistent for years despite a lot of talent depth in their rosters, and did not even make the playoffs in their Super Bowl defense year.

You are not allowed to criticize the 49ers for not having a long consistent stretch of success and call Coughlin a good coach in the same breath.

I wasn't criticizing him. I just won't suck his dick after two seasons leading a team with that kind of talent.

Plus Coughlin not a good coach? His record with the Giants:

6-10
11-5
8-8
10-6
12-4
8-8
10-16
9-7
9-7

If you take away his first season(team adjusting, rookie crappy qb), his two worst seasons were 8-8. You seem to think that's an easy achievement. It's not. His continued success is incredible. Sorry, but over that same time span only the Patriots were as good. And when you add the super bowls the Giants, under Coughlin, have been the most successful team in the league since 2005. Not BEST, most SUCCESSFUL.

Also, take away their QBs(which are always tied to a coachs success) and Coughlin took the newly created Jaguars to the playoffs 4 out of the first 5 years. You take away Belicheats Brady? And you have one 11-5 Browns season. Coughlin has been doing it better even before Belicheat and when you consider that he took an EXPANSION team to the AFCC I'd argue he has proven as good a coach.

Also, the Giants haven't been as talented as you'd think. From 2005 to now only Strahan and Eli will be HoFers. Two players.. yet such a dominant team. Brady, Moss, Wilfork, Seymour, Mankins could all make it. Although the Giants OL wasn't bad until 3 years ago, he didn't have any truly dominant player at any position other than QB.

harbaugh makes by far the best halftime adjustments in the nfl,

Right, as if you have some sort of magical equation that takes into account everything that happens in a football game and gives you data that tells you how much difference a coaches "adjustments" made compared to the first half. And you did this for every coach in the league?? Impressive! How exactly did you document all of this? I'm sure watching from your TV let's you know exactly what each coach does during halftime and how much of it was their idea right?

Point is you don't know who makes the best half time adjustments because that relies too much on opinion and prone to your biases. Or at least I shouldn't take your word for it.

is efficient in making the most of his players (see alex smith, a mediocre qb and the transition to kaep)

How does this make him the best coach? When every other good coach does the same? I mean that's their job and what separates the good from the bad.

And remember, never said he was a bad coach. So this point is a waste.

and RARELY EVER makes mistakes.

Again, way too much opinion on here to take seriously.

how many times has harbaugh made dumb challenges, made poor clock management decisions, etc?

I don't know, but i'm sure you...

i would bet it's not many!

.. don't..? Why the fuck even bring this up if you have no clue yourself?

let's be real here, neither of us are qualified to speak of coaching, but i can see from your posts you're about as clueless as someone could possibly be.

Actually, I look at past history and what they have done to prove my point. You just spout BS, baseless statements.

im just loling that 32 regular seasons games and 6? playoff games isn't enough for you to judge anything. that's equally absurd as not paying attention to the little things other than record

I said I gave him PROPS for using a talent loaded team. At this point that is all he deserves. Again, we will see if he can sustain that kind of success when half of his team is gone, is stuck with old overpaid players and is forced to use players picked in the late 1st round.

First: I didn't say Coughlin was a bad coach, I was pointing out that you can't call out Harbaugh for not having long term consistency, when Coughlin's consistency is "Not having a losing record with his extremely talented teams". Interesting how Harbaugh's talented teams carry him, but to you the lack of high success from the Giants talent is not an issue at all.

To expound upon your hypocrisy, you're also not allowed to dismantle someone's argument for not providing hard evidence to prove you wrong, when you yourself are not providing any hard evidence to back up your own goddamn point. You are effectively saying "Harbaugh is carried by his talent, prove me wrong". That's not how intelligent discourse is done.

That wasn't my point. My point is that 2 seasons doesn't prove anything. Plus it's a goddamn fact that the 49ers have a team filled with high first round picks. So it isn't even that i'm making up or exaggerating the talent part of it.

You do realize not having a losing record in the NFL is stupid hard right? Not having a losing record for 8 straight seasons is impossible. And you can't just call the Giant teams talented without giving any reasons. Otherwise its just your opinion. Can you tell me which team exactly was soo talented?

And you don't seem to understand that the longer a team remains successful the less talent they have. That's how the NFL is built. Which is why i can use that excuse for JH and not TC.

38 games is a very small sample size, but NFL seasons are themselves incredibly small sample sizes (which is why I want 24 team postseasons, soooo much better \m/).

I do not think anything about Harbaugh-West is overblown at all though, you do not take a team to that type of immediate success with Alex Smith as your QB by happenstance. There are times when a team falls ass backward into conference championships or even Super Bowls without being that good (Jets threatened to make Super Bowls and were always a mess even with the good parts of their Ds). But the Fortyniners were 5-11 7-9 8-8 6-10 the 4 seasons before Harbaugh, so while they clearly made some overall strides a couple of seasons, NOTHING was coming together for them, particularly in scoring (32, 22, 18, 24 in offensive ppg). While the defense is what stands out and obviously contributes to more scoring too, Harbaugh is still the most clear catalyst by far. Given that their playoff wins this year were basically all offensive festivals, you have to give him some credence given that he got that team to a Super Bowl like that and it had no fucking scoring before he got there, and whatever Kaepernick contributes that team was 11th in scoring, 2nd in scoring allowed two seasons straight lol.

Remember, this was a team that needed incredibly, unbelievably bad luck to miss out on being in two straight Super Bowls. They pantsed the Giants in that conference championship.

(Although you can feel free to have whatever problems you want to with the shootouts happening in the first place this season, the defense clearly was not handling games by the end...issues in the secondary were relatively impossible to handle by the postseason for the Niners though iirc?)

"We want high-quality people who work hard, are team players,"

"We're allowed three quarterbacks. We're in the business of quality depth management. We have a salary cap and we need a number of different competitive players for depth. You never know what's going [to happen]; Tom Brady missed the whole season a few years ago. You can't have enough quality people in any of your businesses."

"I don't get why people wouldn't relate to this guy big-time," Kraft said Friday. "For us, it was a great opportunity that he was on the street, not hired, and to have him come to our franchise. We like to collect people of good character. He's the real deal, and we have a lot of other players [like that]."

I gained a new level of respect for Kraft when I read that. Looks like he finally learned after dealing with the Randy Mosses and Albert Haynesworths of the world It's no accident that the Patriots are where they are today. How can anyone not root for this guy

What's the worst that could happen? Tebow rides the bench? That's exactly what he was doing on a worse and hopeless team just a couple of months ago. We're talking about one of the top 10 best college players of all time, first round draft pick, who came in during his rookie season and helped a below-500 team win a playoff game, OH and he's also a genuinely great person and is guaranteed not to have any violence drug or sex altercations. How many other QBs in this league can people seriously talk about switching to Tight End? You are an idiot if you think he wasn't going to find a job somewhere else. Great move from both sides

its also kinda funny that run-ins with the law are so common in the nfl that a player without a criminal record has to be praised.

Not having a losing record for 8 straight seasons is impossible.

Don't tell Bill Belichick what he cant do

Point is you don't know who makes the best half time adjustments because that relies too much on opinion and prone to your biases. Or at least I shouldn't take your word for it.

ITT: Someone didnt watch the Super Bowl

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A contrite Chad Johnson apologized Monday for disrespecting a judge when the former NFL star slapped his attorney on the backside in court last week, and his immediate release from jail was ordered."

The post-90s United States is a god fucking damn practical joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back