Resource Doubles Overview, Rules, and Q&A - Ask Questions Here! (Resource Index Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the Generation 8 Doubles Forum!

This forum is focused mainly on Doubles OU, Smogon's official Doubles Format
Come chat with the community in real time at the Smogon Doubles Discord Server or PS! Room

Format Rules

Banlist:

Doubles OU is a format in which both players have two Pokémon on the field at the same time. All Pokémon except those on the banlist (found below) can be used in Doubles OU regardless of the Pokémon's tier in singles play. Unlike in VGC, all Pokémon default to level 100 instead of level 50, and all 6 members of the team are brought each game.

Play Restrictions
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling.
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
  • Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.
  • Dynamax Clause: You cannot dynamax.
Pokémon Restrictions
Players can only use Pokemon that are currently either obtainable in Pokemon Sword and Shield or transferable to Pokemon Sword and Shield
Players cannot use the following Pokémon:
  • Calyrex-Ice
  • Calyrex-Shadow
  • Dialga
  • Eternatus
  • Giratina
  • Giratina-Origin
  • Groudon
  • Ho-Oh
  • Jirachi
  • Kartana
  • Kyogre
  • Kyurem-White
  • Lugia
  • Lunala
  • Magearna
  • Marshadow
  • Melmetal
  • Mewtwo
  • Necrozma-Dawn Wings
  • Necrozma-Dusk Mane
  • Palkia
  • Rayquaza
  • Reshiram
  • Solgaleo
  • Urshifu (Single Strike)
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zacian
  • Zacian-Crowned
  • Zamazenta
  • Zamazenta-Crowned
  • Zekrom
Players cannot use the following abilities:
  • Power Construct
  • Shadow Tag
Players cannot use the following moves:
  • Swagger

Forum Rules
1. All main forum rules still apply here. Be sure to read those, as well as the rules in this thread, before posting in the subforum.
2. The forum moderation team (listed below) reserves the right to lock and/or delete, without notice, senseless threads.
3. Be nice to other posters and maintain good discussion. Don't post one-liners, and try not to double post unless the situation calls for it.

Doubles OU Tier Leaders:
Actuarily
Yoda2798

Doubles OU Forum Mods:
Actuarily
Arcticblast
Paraplegic
Yoda2798

Doubles OU Council:
Actuarily
Yoda2798
Nido-Rus
Paraplegic
Qwello Lee
SMB
umbry

Forum Resources

Generation 8 Data

Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread
List of Changes to Old Pokemon, Moves, etc

Discuss
SS Doubles Discussion Thread
Doubles Viability Rankings
Doubles Newsroom

Build
Doubles Sample Teams and Team Showcase
Doubles Team Bazaar
Doubles Effective Cores
Doubles Roles Compendium
Doubles Sets compendium
Doubles EV Spread Compendium - coming soon!
Doubles Speed Tiers
Doubles Teambuilding Competition
Doubles Damage Calculator
Regular Showdown Damage Calc

Compete
Doubles Circuit Information
Doubles Hall of Fame

Old Generation Info
SM DOU
XY DOU
BW DOU

Other Doubles Tier Info
Doubles UU
Doubles Ubers
Doubles LC

Doubles Basics
The true gem of Doubles does not lie in such minute differences in rulesets - it's the various strategies that are born and made viable by the virtue of having an additional partner and an extra opponent on the battle field simultaneously. Such battle setting results in a fast and furious play unimaginable in Singles play. If you think you have time to dilly dally with setting up hazards and some brainless volt-turn spam, think again! Since so much happens in a span of a single turn, on-the-spot decision making and intuition are tested heavily in Doubles. A thrilling new challenge unfounded in Singles!

Another major appeal of Doubles is the increased viability and deeper nuances of Pokemon moves. Here are some quick overview of such moves:

Protect - +4 Priority. Undoubtedly the most important move in Doubles; it shields whatever moves targeted at the user and without the need to blindly switch out and let another one of your Pokemon to take a hit, too! A well-executed Protect means wasted turns for the opponent, whose attacks utterly fail to do anything while your other Pokemon can ideally take the attacker out. Protect also shield your Pokemon against Fake Out flinches, a devastating move in Double. Stalling out Tailwind or TR turns serve as another purpose for using Protect.

Feint - +2 Priority. With Protect being such a pivotal move in Doubles, it's no wonder that a counter-move in Feint would see some use! It comes in handy when you need to connect with the target Pokemon on that turn NO MATTER WHAT. Feint also breaks other protection moves, including Wide Guard, Quick Guard, and Spiky Shield.

Fake Out - +3 Priority. This is another prevalent move in Doubles, and it's a game-breaking one, too. A super-priority flinch move renders one of the opponent's Pokemon immobile and vulnerable to assaults. Just like in Singles, Fake Out can be seen from a mile away, but the Fake Out user can actually take advantage of this, forcing the opponent to use Protect. Fake Out's greater utility in Doubles in turn increases the value of Inner Focus.

Spread Moves - These moves target multiple Pokemon - some only affect both enemies while other spread moves also catches your ally, too. Such distinctions make otherwise obscure moves in Singles, such as Heat Wave and Rock Slide, to have a specific niche in Doubles!

All spread moves's power is reduced to 75% of its original base power (so Earthquake is a 75 bp Ground-type move, while Blizzard is a 82 bp Ice-type move), but this reduction is more than compensated by hitting more than one target. If it's hitting both foes, it is effectively hitting with 150% of the move's original power (75%*2). When there is only one target on the field, the spread move hits the opponent with 100% of its original power.
Notable Spread Moves that Target Only Enemies
  • Blizzard (82 bp) & Icy Wind (41 bp)
  • Rock Slide (56) & Diamond Storm (75)
  • Thousand Arrows (67)
  • Heat Wave (71) & Eruption (112)
  • Muddy Water (67) & Water Spout (112)
  • Dazzling Gleam (60)
  • Pixilate Hyper Voice (87, Fairy-type) and Aerilate Hyper Voice (87, Flying-type)
  • Snarl (41)
  • Electroweb (41)
Notable Spread Moves that Target Enemies and Ally alike
  • Explosion (187) & Selfdestruct (150)
  • Earthquake (75)
Wide Guard / Quick Guard - +3 Priority. Unlike Protect, these Guard moves protect both the user AND the ally from spread moves and priority moves, respectively. This means that one Pokemon can guard for Earthquake or Fake Outs, thereby wasting the opponent's turn, while its partner can go on the offensive. Both of these moves can be used consecutively without fail. Quick Guard also blocks non-damaging moves from Pokemon with the ability Prankster.

Helping Hand - +5 Priority. A move designed specifically for Doubles, this move boosts the power of the user's ally by 50% for one turn, which can change a 2HKO into a OHKO. Such a difference is significant in Doubles, as knocking out the opponent effectively means cutting down on the opponent's offense by half for that turn. Thus, Helping Hand user pairs nicely with a fast Sweeper like Thundurus or Latios. Helping Hand has +5 priority, so the helper can be a slow bulky supporter like Cresselia, and it is used before Prankster Taunt.

Follow Me / Rage Powder - +2 Priority. Another move tailored for Doubles, but this time all non-spread moves are re-directed to the user of Follow Me or Rage Powder, thereby keeping its partner untouched. Spread moves like Blizzard and Earthquake still hits both users, though. This move comes in handy when you are trying to set up with your other Pokemon. XY nerfed Follow Me / Rage Powder by lowering its priority bracket to one below Fake Out - faster users can no longer re-direct Fake Out with these moves. Grass-types and Pokemon either holding Safety Goggles or using the Overcoat ability also ignore Rage Powder.

Tailwind / Icy Wind / Thunder Wave / Trick Room - Similarly to Singles, having the first move is almost always more advantageous than attacking second. Tailwind, Icy Wind, and Trick Room are prevalent moves to control Speed and attack first. Even though 4-5 turns go awfully quick in Singles to do anything productive, in Doubles it is usually half the game or more! Icy Wind (or Electroweb) is also an amazing utility move, a spread move that drops BOTH enemies' Speed by one stage.

Move Order - Who moves first is often a frequently confused topic, since a Pokemon's Speed can change in the middle of a turn, making faster Pokemon slower. As of Sword and Shield, move order is no longer pre-determined at the beginning of the turn and is dynamically determined, so any changes in the Pokemon's Speed will affect move order on the turn they occur. Here are some scenarios:
  • Your Prankster Whimsicott sets up Tailwind. Your max Speed Obstagoon will move before the opponent's max Speed Charizard that turn.
  • Your Prankster Grimmsnarl paralyzes the opposing max Speed Cinderace with Thunder Wave. Your max Speed Chandelure will move before Cinderace that turn.
  • Your Choice Scarf Abomasnow uses Icy Wind against an opposing max Speed Gengar. Your max Speed Polteageist will move before your opponent's Gengar.
  • You switch in your Ninetales and summon sun. Venusaur's Chlorophyll kicks in immediately.
  • Also note that if you have a Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf, Dynamaxing that Pokemon will cause it to lose the Speed boost from the Choice Scarf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
:spinda: Hey everyone, recently there has been discussion about what counts and doesn't count in a suspect test discussion thread. Doubles OU generally uses the same guidelines as the rest of the forum, but those guidelines were hiding deep in an OU thread that nobody wants to read anyway, so I'm copying them from there for your convenience!
Finchinator said:
Suspect Thread Etiquette
Please familiarize yourself with the information in the hide tags below before posting in suspect threads.

Suspect Thread Etiquette
- Firstly, if you make a checks or counters argument, the very first thing you need to do is make sure you have the correct terminology. A check, is something that cannot exactly switch in safely, but can often win a "1v1", or revenge kill the Pokemon in question. A counter is something that can 100% switch in and hard wall, or force an unfavourable situation for said Pokemon.

- Secondly, just because something lacks counters / checks does NOT mean it is instantly broken. Cube, BW Hydreigon etc were / are all impossible to switch into, but that does not instantly make them broken. However, if something DOES have checks and counters, this doesn't make it NOT broken either. Genesect had counters, Aegislash had counters (specific to its set) and so on. Also, take not that if you parade around a collection of terrible mons that situationally counter a suspect, I will flat out delete your post. It might even give you an infraction. I know that myself and pretty much every other OU mod is tired of seeing people discuss Arcanine, Weezing, Qwilfish and pretty much anything else. Hint: If you are using garbage mons to check a top-tier sweeper, then its potentially a good indicator as to how unhealthy it is.

- Thirdly, just because you beat Mega Mawile while you have an Elo rating of 1000 does not mean it's not broken. If you want to use battle statistics in your argument, look at the top tier battles, the VR posters, the Tourney scene, use really good examples. It's much harder to refuse your points if you are a highly respected battler, usually because it means people trust and respect your opinion, regardless as to which way you vote. The lower you are on the ladder, the less Mega Mawile will be used successfully and intelligently, so please bear that in mind.

- Fourthly, if you use the argument; "LOL MEGA MAWILE SUCKS I JUST OHKO IT WITH EQ GGGGGGGGGGG", I will infract you. No question. All of us are (mostly), intelligent and have the ability to read. We all know how to look at a type chart, and you stating the obvious just makes you look like an utter retard that's out of his/her depth, and thus shouldn't be posting here.

- Fifthly, Fact Check. There is nothing sadder than posting a sweeping statement that's incorrect. For instance, several people brought up earthquake from several mons as methods of dealing with Mawile. Many of these people failed to realize EQ missed a KO, and thus looked like morons. According to an IRC convo, someone who's opinion I trust remarked that Mega Mawile for instance, actually beats Gliscor provided it used SD on the switch in, tanks the Earthquake, and smokes Gliscor with a +2 Play Rough. I'm not sure if residual damage is required to do all that but the point is, don't take short cuts; we all have damage calculators, and we WILL call you out on it if you fucked up.

- Sixthly, don't assume a suspect (say Mega Mawile) will stay in on your Sun boosted, Blaze boosted Choice Specs Overheat. An earlier argument I saw was someone posting a load of calculations and saying "LOL MAWILE GETS OHKOed BY CHANDELURE". That's A+ logic mate, but Mega Mawile isn't setting up on a Charizard Y, instead, it's coming in on a choice locked dragon move, a resisted attack, a -1 Pokemon that lacks an effective means to do severe damage, etc. Posting a list of Pokemon that can OHKO Mega Mawile means nothing if you need to sacrifice a Pokemon to get your check in safely. It's not setting up, and it's not staying in.

- Seventhly, be careful of the "Prediction argument". IT GOES BOTH WAYS. Really clever posters will use the risk-reward prediction argument, which is a good one. If you want a breakdown about it, I'm sure many experienced players will be able to tell you, but the point is, you don't have godlike prediction skills, so I don't want to see posts like "I will go to Heatran on a play rough, then go to Gengar on a Focus Punch, then use Substitute on the Sucker Punch and then use Will-O-Wisp on a second Sucker Punch." You are not clairvoyant, nor is your opponent, so don't pretend otherwise.

- Eighthly, make sure your post actually bring some sort of discussion to it. The posts I see that are just "yea so Mega Mawile has high attack power so I think it's broken" not only have terrible arguments but add NOTHING to the discussion. I'm not asking you to make a novel, but please make sure your post has a depth of reasoning and quality behind it. If you cannot be bothered putting thought into it, then quite frankly, I cannot be bothered reading it. In general, the better your arguments are (detail, reasoning etc), the better of the overall quality of your post, and the better chance you have of influencing people to see things your way. Therefore, if you feel strongly about a particular suspect, it is in your interest to make your post as well reasoned as possible, because if you half-ass it, then you are convincing no-one.

- Ninethly, don't mention how good / not good a Pokemon will be in Ubers. We don't care. Usage in Ubers has no impact on if we ban / not ban something. It could be garbage in Ubers but if its unhealthy for the OU metagame then it goes, no exceptions.

- FINALLY don't discuss past or future tiering. I couldn't care less if you feel salty about the Aegislash ban, and I don't care that you feel that Thundurus-I should be suspected first. Likewise for the love of god, DON'T, DON'T say "but if we ban Mega Mawile, suddenly haxorus becomes broken", like in one post I read. We do not keep broken things within OU to check others, so please don't try this argument. Furthermore, don't whinge that your precious mon might be garbage in Ubers - we don't use it as a point of reference. It could get less usage that Magikarp in Ubers and we don't care - its not relevant. Likewise, please don't complain or rage that your fanboy favourite just got suspect tested and might, be banned, use calm logic and reasoning and you will do a heck of a lot of a better job convincing others to see your side instead of posting shit like "FUCK SMOGON IT HATES ON MEGAS AND WANTS TO BAN THEM ALL I HATE THIS SITE".

Have a nice day.

Users that take it upon themselves to do exactly what I just told them not to do will be handed down an Infraction. No exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I want to ask, how does Encore work with Dynamax. When you Encore non-Dynamaxed mon, and he Dynamaxes, does the Encore lose it´s effect? Is it possible to Encore Dynamaxed mon? If so, does the effect still continues even after Dynamax ends?

Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
  • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
Um... there's no legal way to obtain Milk Drink in Gen 8. The only Pokémon with that move were Miltank and Skiddo/Gogoat, neither of which is obtainable in Sword/Shield.

I'm curious about a few things, as someone who has little to no knowledge of competitive, but wants to learn more about doubles. This gen seems more accessible to me since there are a lot less Pokemon to look at for each individual role.
For one, is it worth it in doubles to have a mon that specifically jumps Intimidate leads? Like I was looking at Defiant Falinks with Adrenaline Orb. With No Retreat, it locks itself in place, but in doubles, that seems to be less of a problem than in singles, and if Falinks is Intimidated, it'll just further buff itself. Braviary and Milotic also do this, but they don't have priority to my knowledge, especially not such strong priority that can immediately dispatch a Dark or Psychic type foe on the field if buffed with Defiant.
Two, is Throh a more viable alternative to Conkeldurr now that Inner Focus makes him immune to Intimidate?
Three, is mono-fighting a better typing than it was last gen, is it worse, or is it about the same? I've heard this is the generation of flying types so I'm not sure how much that will hurt fighting type.
And four, all these mons that got Aurora Veil, are any of them worth checking out as possible users of it? Vanilluxe hits fairly hard and sets its own hail, but isn't as fast as A-Ninetales, Abomasnow has a terrible defensive typing and rather middling stats, Frosmoth has a really bad defensive typing and is slow, and Avalugg is insanely slow and has horrendous special defense.

What's the best mon(s) to be dealing with Rotom-W?
Ferrothorn is the best (stallish) mon to counter Rotom-W. Any other mons with strong Neutral moves or strong Grass-type moves, but not weak against it (ahem not Gyarados), are fine.
Excadrill with Mold Breaker is fine, too, but it usually has Sand Rush, especially when Tyranitar is around.

For one, is it worth it in doubles to have a mon that specifically jumps Intimidate leads? Like I was looking at Defiant Falinks with Adrenaline Orb. With No Retreat, it locks itself in place, but in doubles, that seems to be less of a problem than in singles, and if Falinks is Intimidated, it'll just further buff itself. Braviary and Milotic also do this, but they don't have priority to my knowledge, especially not such strong priority that can immediately dispatch a Dark or Psychic type foe on the field if buffed with Defiant.
It isn't worth it. If the opponent sees that your team has something with defiant/competitive, they're less likely to lead with intimidate. Furthermore, in SWSH a ton of stuff can deal with intimidate pretty well + incineroar and lando-t are banned, so I doubt it'll be as common as it was in gen 7. If you play someone who just doesn't have intimidate, you're left with a pretty subpar mon that can't accomplish much on its own.

Two, is Throh a more viable alternative to Conkeldurr now that Inner Focus makes him immune to Intimidate?
Probably not? Again, intimidate will likely not be as important as it was in gen 7. But the bigger issue with throh is that it has base 100 attack stat and its best fighting stab is superpower. You might want to try Machamp/Sirfetch'd, both of which also ignore intimidate with steadfast (sirfetch'd also ignores with scrappy) but have better attack and a better movepool.

Three, is mono-fighting a better typing than it was last gen, is it worse, or is it about the same? I've heard this is the generation of flying types so I'm not sure how much that will hurt fighting type.
No idea yet

And four, all these mons that got Aurora Veil, are any of them worth checking out as possible users of it? Vanilluxe hits fairly hard and sets its own hail, but isn't as fast as A-Ninetales, Abomasnow has a terrible defensive typing and rather middling stats, Frosmoth has a really bad defensive typing and is slow, and Avalugg is insanely slow and has horrendous special defense.
This is something I'm very interested in. You can safely discount frosmoth and avalugg since they can't set their own hail, but I think Vanilluxe/Abomasnow could be pretty useful. Vanilluxe gets freeze dry, good bulk, and a solid SpAtk stat, while aboma has great coverage. This + considering how snowball-y dynamax mons already are makes me think setup with aveil could be good this gen.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Relevant Speed Tiers
Here are the speed benchmarks I think are worth mentioning, mostly focused on the relevant mons new to gen8

Mons that get speed boost from Weather. Not including ones with Unreleased abilities
  • 792 - Barraskewda in Rain with 208+(out runs Jolteon out of Rain). (816 if 252+, 742 if 252)
  • 634 - Leafeon in Sun with 252+
  • 604 - Excadrill in Sand with 252+(550 if 252)
  • 542 - Drednaw in Rain with 252+(528 if 224+ which out runs max base 70 mons out of rain)
  • 524 - Ludicolo in Rain with 252+
Scarfs
  • 643 - Darmanitan 252+ with Scarf
  • 596 - Rotoms 252+ with Scarf (432 if 216+ which out runs +1 Max speed Gyarados)
Natural Speeds
  • 421 - Dragapult 252+
  • 396 - Barraskewda 208+ (408 if 252+)
  • 375 - Boltund 252+
  • 372 - Inteleon 252+
  • 370 - Cinderace 252+
  • 350 - Max Speed Base 110s
  • 328 - Max Speed Base 100s
  • 317 - Max Speed Base 95s (a few notable new mons here: Darmanitan-Galar, Obstagoon, Indeedee)
  • 306 - Max Speed Base 90s
  • 302 - Excadrill 252+
  • 298 - Rotoms 252+
  • 295 - Max Speed Base 85s (a few notable new mons here: Rillaboom, Duraludon, Indeedee-F)
  • 287 - Gyarados 252+
  • 284 - Max Speed Base 80s
  • 273 - Max Speed Base 75s (a few notable new mons here: Toxtricity, Dracovish, Dracovolt)
  • 271 - Drednaw 252+
  • 262 - Max Speed Base 70s
  • 256 - Corviknight 252+
  • 251 - Max Speed Base 65s (a couple notable new mons here: Centiskorch, Sirfetch'd)
  • 243 - Tyranitar 252+
  • 240 - Max Speed Base 60s (Sylveon is probably only base 60 worth investing max speed. Grimmsnarl and Lapras are in this tier)
  • 229 - Pelipper 252
TW benchmarks
  • 212 - Out runs Dragapult
  • 186 - Out runs Cinderace
  • 176 - Out runs base 110s
  • 165 - Out runs base 100s
  • <165 - Too Slow. Use TR

Lots of sets are still being figured out, will update when things settle. PM me if I missed something

MajorBowman

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any plans for a Nat Dex doubles?
Not at the moment, if there's interest down the road we might consider it. We'd rather everyone get involved with the official DOU metagame first and then possibly branch out once it's more established. Note that if a Nat Dex doubles metagame is created, all official DOU formats will still be what's obtainable in Galar only.

Thanks - so we would show interest via starting a thread when the forum gets past beta I presume?

Edit: when the tier gets past beta sorry*

Last edited:
Now that the pinch berries are nerved I wonder what the reason could be behind this. Is it because they were too good?

Now that the pinch berries are nerved I wonder what the reason could be behind this. Is it because they were too good?
Pinch berries were 1. probably too strong at 50% heal and super splashable as an item 2. didn't respect item clause in formats like VGC, as you could basically have the same very powerful item as many times as you wanted on a team due to the difference in name between Figy and Aguav.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Can someone fill me in on the update to speed mechanics that make Whimsicott so good this gen compared to last gen?

Last generation, the order in which the four (or fewer) pokemon on the field moved was determined simultaneously at the start of the turn. So, if pokemon A had 100 speed at the start of the turn, pokemon B 200 speed, pokemon C 300 speed, and pokemon D 400 speed, the turn order would be D C B A, regardless of what happened during the course of the turn.

In generation 8, this has changed. Now, turn order is recalculated after every pokemon moves. Let's imagine the following situation: Whimsicott with the ability Prankster and pokemon B with speed 200 are on one side of the field, and pokemon C and D are on the other side of the field with 300 speed each. Whimsicott uses Tailwind, and because of the ability Prankster the move has +1 priority and goes first. After Whimsicott moves, the turn order is recalculated. Pokemon B now has a speed stat of 200 * 2, which is higher than either of the opposing pokemon, so pokemon B would move next (whereas in previous generations, pokemon B would move last, since it had the lowest speed stat at the start of the turn).

TLDR speed is recalculated mid-turn so prankster tailwind takes effect immediately instead of not coming into play until the next turn.

MajorBowman

When is National Dex Doubles Ubers coming?

This generation is tediously boring without a national dex for doubles play.
Not at the moment, if there's interest down the road we might consider it. We'd rather everyone get involved with the official DOU metagame first and then possibly branch out once it's more established. Note that if a Nat Dex doubles metagame is created, all official DOU formats will still be what's obtainable in Galar only.

hey so I lost my password to my old account on showdown so I can't ask questions there cause of moderated chat. Is g-max replenish working properly in showdown? I've been fighting in OU doubles and it doesn't seem to be giving snorlax's berry back or if it is he's not eating it. i can't really tell. gmax snorlax is sort of the star of my team so I was just curious. thanks for any insight. FYI he always leads with protect then belly drum then eats the berry with gluttony so the berry is always getting consumed. but the Gmax move doesn't seem to be working properly or I just don't understand it's limitations. thanks.

*edit*

recovered my account in showdown. apparently gmax replenish is only 50% chance to refill the berry. thanks for reading.

Last edited:
That blows on both counts.

Hopefully a national dex doubles ubers format is added down the road. It sucks not being able to play any of my favourite mythical, legendary and ordinary Pokemon in a doubles format that have been available in previous games.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Scizor is my favorite Pokemon (and not in the dex), but I don't understand why anyone would want to go back to the same Lando-T and Kyurem-B that we've been playing with for seven years now. Rather than rejecting change, you should be embracing the unique character of a new meta. It's exciting that we lost all of tiers 1 and 2 on the SM VR; it means a new set of Pokemon get to be popular now! I promise if you play with them you will learn to love them. And hey we'll still hold old gen tournaments if you really just miss Incineroar that much.

I can only speak for myself but I'm just excited to see how old stuff interacts with these new mechanics and Pokémon (mid turn speed calcs, dynamax...)

I could honestly see myself playing both Dou and Nat Dex doubles if the latter should be implemented. Huge fan of doubles since I started last year, and Dou as it stands sort of has an early season vgc feel to it (which I never got into since I'm not a huge cartridge player now).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)