Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What pokemon and move can OHKO a 4 hp Zapdos?
For the most part, Zapdos can take a hit as long as the attack isn't boosted in any way.

-Modest Chandelure's Overheat will KO about 60% of the time
-Mamoswine can OHKO with Icicle Crash.
-Glaceon can KO with Blizzard
-Terrakion or Tyranitar can KO with Stone Edge, but Rock Slide is often the better move to have

If items are involved, it's a bit easier. Some of the following can do the job nicely:

-Life Orb / Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Latios
-Fire Gem Flare Blitz Arcanine
-Normal Gem Explosion Metagross, Azelf, Landorus
-Life Orb / Expert Belt Ice Punch from Weavile

Is Brick Break an acceptable substitute for Low Kick on Tyranitar, at least for regionals? I don't really want to make a new Tyranitar just for Low Kick.

Is Brick Break an acceptable substitute for Low Kick on Tyranitar, at least for regionals? I don't really want to make a new Tyranitar just for Low Kick.
I'd say no and get a new tyranitar, since the occasional OHKO through chople is worth it. Either that, or another move entirely: you'll be unlikely to use brick break on much at all.

There are 3 months before Regionals, I'm sure you can easily find someone to give you a T-tar with Low Kick. It doesn't hurt to be safe.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's a threatlist being written right now, Eraddd is getting volunteers to write different Pokemon seen here, but outside of looking at the statistics and recognizing common threats there is no official threatlist at this time.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While no comprehensive threat list for VGC 2012 exists, you can take a look at the usage stats here to see what is used the most, and what to expect. From there, just look up the analyses on-site, or in C&C to see what those Pokemon usually run. Each analysis also gives you ideal checks and counters for each Pokemon.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And then I am abruptly reminded that I haven't done shit for that threatlist because of my laziness...

Rest assured, the threat list will be completed before the Europe regionals start. However, I have my hands full at the moment.

Also, volunteers would be nice, otherwise I will have to write 30 + small sets myself.

Is Focus Sash a decent item for Garchomp or not? I'm having a hard time choosing between Haban Berry and Yache Berry, and Sash could allow him to survive either an Ice-type attack or a Dragon-type attack. Plus, with the popularity of Tyranitar, Sand Veil could make taking out his remaining 1 HP a bit more difficult than it would be for other Pokémon (and Sandstorm obviously won't break his Sash).

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I personally use Focus Sash when I use Garchomp. It's a nice catch all when you can't decide on a berry. The only issue is that you can't really switch Garchomp in on anything.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Is there a hpfire spread that dsn't lower speed. Im pretty sure there is but google ain't helping.(don't want to lose speed ties because of 1 iv)

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've used those two on the same team before it isn't a huge issue, they also don't share many weaknesses (just Bug) which is a plus. As for Hitmontop counters it really depends on the type of Hitmontop at this point but any strong Psychic or Flying move is usually enough to beat it. As long as the Pokemon can take a Mach Punch or Sucker Punch it should be in a good position, Cresselia is one of those Pokemon, it can take a Sucker Punch just fine and Psychic it for a near KO.

I've used those two on the same team before it isn't a huge issue, they also don't share many weaknesses (just Bug) which is a plus. As for Hitmontop counters it really depends on the type of Hitmontop at this point but any strong Psychic or Flying move is usually enough to beat it. As long as the Pokemon can take a Mach Punch or Sucker Punch it should be in a good position, Cresselia is one of those Pokemon, it can take a Sucker Punch just fine and Psychic it for a near KO.
Unless I'm missing something, Cresselia's unboosted Psychic only does 47.77% - 57.32% to Hitmontop.

Did you use Leftovers to "cancel" the Sandstorm damage, or just Sitrus? Also, did you use Rest since Cresselia's longevity is hindered by Sandstorm?

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Really depends on your set and where you plan on playing, at official VGCs you can't really stall per say, but a simple Rest and Chesto Berry can keep Cresselia healthy. The Leftovers healing rate is almost negligible in doubles.

Depends on the other members of your team IMO. I never really liked Ferrothorn in general though.

Wide Guard isn't a very common move, the only Pokemon I've seen it on is Hitmontop. However, it always manages to catch me off guard and you need to be careful with using spread moves when Hitmontop is out. Other rarer Pokemon can also use it to surprise you.

Wide Guard isn't a very common move, the only Pokemon I've seen it on is Hitmontop. However, it always manages to catch me off guard and you need to be careful with using spread moves when Hitmontop is out. Other rarer Pokemon can also use it to surprise you.
I have seen Mienshao & Conkeldurr both use it every so often, but like you said Cyber - Hitmontop is the most common user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)