(Archive) Small Subjective Changes Thread

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Medicham only has three sets listed: Physical Choice and Reversal. As a result, there is no mention of the absurdly overspecialized set with which one would kill Skarmory without those items (Hi Jump Kick to Rock Slide flinch to Hi Jump Kick). If it doesn't merit a mention in the main text, it would be nice for it to be wedged into the Rock Slide mention in the "Other Options" section.
If it's that overly centralized, then it's not very helpful to include it. In fact, your little 3 hit combo requires Skarmory to come in on Hi Jump Kick while having a ~20% chance of it working factoring in flinch % and hit %.

What's your point for the second one?

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/kecleon

Kecleon still sucks but it got Recover in HGSS.
So the Sleep Talk set analysis is a bit antiquated now especially in saying that it lacks instant recovery.
I'm not sure how anlayses are written for these Pokemon nobody uses (there is no analysis C&C section) but if it's permissible to simply remove the outdated phrase that would work.

Kecleon’s high base Special Defense makes him a candidate for a special wall in the lower tiers., but due to his lack of reliable recovery, rest talking is Kecleon’s best chance of surviving throughout a battle.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
I want to add a thing in Tyranitar's optional changes about a mixed set with SR in the lead position.

"A mixed Tyranitar in the lead position can be a viable option, effectively setting up Stealth Rock while providing excellent wall-breaking capabilities throughout the early stages of the match. Azelf is easily beaten by Tyranitar's Dark move of choice, while the abundance of Steel-types can be beaten with Flamethrower / Fire Blast. Ice Beam is a valuable choice to hit Gliscor, while Hidden Power Grass could be a reliable move to hit Swampert and bulky Waters for reasonable damage."

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know I could do this myself but I was wondering what other people think.

On Venusaur's mixed attacker set, I believe Earthquake should be slashed alongside Sleep Powder as it hits Raikou (and to a lesser extent, Registeel), which in the third paragraph it describes Venusaur having problems with Raikou. Venusaur can survive any of Raikou's attacks so it makes sense to do so. For example, Hidden Power Ice deals 68% maximum (from 252 SpA Life Orb Timid Raikou), more than enough to survive right? And most raikou I see right now run leftovers instead, dealing maximum of 52%, which is little chance to 2HKO. Also, isn't HP Grass MUCH more common than HP Ice now? Giving this even more merit imo.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Well, salamence's primary set, dragon dance, has 24 special attack evs to always ohko physically defense skarmory. I believe this is now outdated, since the primary set skarmory runs has spd evs and rarely any defense evs. I think the evs should just go into attack with the primary option being flamethrower to still 2hko skarm as well as having better accuracy against foes like scizor. Thoughts?

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Eh, I'm not too sure about that because:

| Skarmory | SpDefense EV | None | 62.5 |
| Skarmory | SpDefense EV | Max | 11.1 |

So a majority of Skarmories still don't run any SpD EVs. Additionally, I don't see much merit in using Flamethrower for Scizor, as it'd end up Bullet Punching you first (unless you predict a switch-in, but idk why Scizor would switch in to Mence, it'd be better off sacing something first).

Maybe an actual mention of Flamethrower instead? (seriously I Ctrl+Fed through the DD set and there's not one mention of it).

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magnezone analysis - SubSalac sweeper

The set needs 228 speed Evs to hit the 234 speed necessary as mentioned in the analysis. The 12 defence Evs should be removed, leaving the set as 28HP 252spatk 228spe

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Absol is not listed as having the move Superpower, yet it is advised in all of Absol's analyses, and in fact can be learned by Absol. Superpower does not show up here (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/absol/moves) or here (http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/superpower). Thanks for your time

Edit: P.S. (Evidence) Absol learns Superpower by a move tutor in Platinum, Heart Gold, or Soul Silver. Source: (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Absol), direct quote:
By tutoring
Generation IV

Other generation learnsets: III
Game Move Type Cat. Pwr. Acc. PP Contest Appeal
D P Pt HG SS Bounce Flying Physical 85 85% 5 Cute 1 ♥
D P Pt HG SS Fury Cutter Bug Physical 10 95% 20 Cool 2 ♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Headbutt Normal Physical 70 100% 15 Tough 3 ♥♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Icy Wind Ice Special 55 95% 15 Beauty 2 ♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Knock Off Dark Physical 20 100% 20 Smart 3 ♥♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Magic Coat Psychic Status — —% 15 Beauty 2 ♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Mud-Slap Ground Special 20 100% 10 Cute 3 ♥♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Role Play Psychic Status — —% 10 Cute 1 ♥
D P Pt HG SS Snore Normal Special 40 100% 15 Cool 3 ♥♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Spite Ghost Status — 100% 10 Tough 2 ♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Sucker Punch Dark Physical 80 100% 5 Smart 2 ♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Superpower Fighting Physical 120 100% 5 Tough 2 ♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Swift Normal Special 60 —% 20 Cool 2 ♥♥
D P Pt HG SS Zen Headbutt Psychic Physical 80 90% 15 Beauty 2 ♥♥
That is not able to be fixed by simple people, but rather by the higher ups.

Also, it should go in this thread instead: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38386

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mawile

In that analysis of the Sword Dance Mawile set it says,
Hyper Cutter ensures Mawile does not lose its Swords Dance stat-up all that easily.
It would be more accurate and concise to leave out, "all that easily," and simply say, "Hyper Cutter ensures Mawile does not lose its Swords Dance stat-up." Hyper Cutter doesn't make it harder for Mawile to have its attack reduced, it outright prevents it. Saying, "all that easily," is potentially misleading and makes the sentence awkward to read. Therefore, I beleive it should be omitted.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mawile

In that analysis of the Sword Dance Mawile set it says,

It would be more accurate and concise to leave out, "all that easily," and simply say, "Hyper Cutter ensures Mawile does not lose its Swords Dance stat-up." Hyper Cutter doesn't make it harder for Mawile to have its attack reduced, it outright prevents it. Saying, "all that easily," is potentially misleading and makes the sentence awkward to read. Therefore, I beleive it should be omitted.
Ok I fixed this.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shiftry

in the other options it says "Shiftry can Swords Dance to boost its Attack stat, but this begs the question of "what physical attacks it would use?". In general, its special attacks are more powerful than whatever physical attacks it can muster. For what they are worth, Faint Attack, Razor Leaf, Rock Slide, X-Scissor, Aerial Ace, Payback, Return, Brick Break, Double-Edge, Explosion, and Quick Attack are the total of Shiftry's physical attacks. Fake Out is also on offer, but is only really viable in 2v2 matches."

However, at this point Shiftry has now learned Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch and so its physical options which may have been limited before are now a bit more wide and more powerful as i have tested on my sunnyday team a physical set with Swords Dance, Brick Break, Sucker Punch, and Seed Bomb which has prefomed quite well, even in OU. As such, somebody should write a physical set up( and with sunnyday up, possibly mixed) for the analayisis.

Lugia's analysis, in the "Great Wall" set:

it receives immediate recovery moves in Roost and Recover (the preference of Roost over Recover is discussed at length later)
Looked everywhere in the entire analysis, found nothing on the topic of Roost vs Recover.

In the Normalized Base Stats article, it says,
Thus, we see (correctly) that Thunderbolt would deal more damage... it would deal 1.5% more damage than ThunderPunch. (10735÷10575 = 1.015)
Clearly, it would deal 1.15% more damage, not 1.5 This error is found in the 3rd paragraph of the Normalizing the Attacking Base stats.

Res Ipsa Loquitir (interesting name btw), Bulbapedia's page for the Reckless ability says that it increases the power of moves with crash damage, such as Jump Kick and High Jump Kick. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Reckless I agree and think say it should be changed, although no one would use High Jump Kick over Close Combat, but that is beside the point.

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
No, that's fine. Multiplying that by 100 and then subtracting off 100 gives 1.5, which is what that amount is. The calculations aren't incorrect either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)