Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Haunter
AKA OU Teambuilding V4
Banner by Canned Bread

With Enki's permission I have decided to bring back this thread so that we can update it for all of our new ORAS toys. For those unfamiliar with this project, the goal is to post standard sets of viable Pokemon to help newer players figure out useful Pokemon that they can use on their teams. Be sure that your set includes an importable. Feel free to comment on any sets posted, but please be sure to keep it civil. Here's the format I'm looking for when you write up sets:
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Earthquake

Role: Special Wall, Rapid Spinner, Physical Wall, Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper, Special Sweeper, Late-game Cleaner, Hazard User, Revenge Killer, Bulky Attacker, Tank, Lure, Mixed Attacker, Support (weather support...) etc.

What It Does: mention what it counters and why it is good at its role OR say why it's bad if you're purposely posting something not to use

Good Teammates: stuff it works well with. For "What Not To Use". leave this section blank.

What Counters It: Common Pokes that either check or counter it

Any Additional Info:
I'm not looking for an essay, but please be thorough in your descriptions. If it doesn't follow this format I won't add it to the lists. As a reminder, this thread can be useful for getting noticed for the Community Contributor badge.

For anyone wondering why there are both hyperlinks and sets in Hide tags, the OP is transitioning from using sets posted in hide tags to using hyperlinks that lead to the post containing the set. As time goes on the sets should be replaced with hyperlinks.

Rules on Reservations:
I haven't the time to track every reservation made and I think that trying to maintain a list of them in the OP will make things more complicated since a reservation could be made when I have no access to a computer (usually because of school). So, here are the the general guidelines:
  • Always double-check the lists in the OP and some of the more recent posts to make sure a mon hasn't been reserved. Ideally you should at least check the last couple of pages in the thread
  • If you reserve a mon, Please get it done within 48 hours. If it's not done within that time limit, I will allow someone else to claim it.
  • If you reserve a mon and something comes up preventing you from finishing within the time limit, please repost the reservation if you are actively making progress on it. If you want to drop a reservation, you can just edit the original post with the reservation to reduce clutter.
Anyway, here are the roles I'm looking for:

What to use:

If you need help looking for Pokes to write about that we need, you can check out post #2 for some ideas. You can also check the ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread if you think a mon's been missed. Have at it!

Last edited:
So for those looking to add some sets, here are some sets that we are looking for:
Note that this list doesn't take into account whether or not somebody has theses reserved, so make sure to check the last couple of pages to make sure that somebody hasn't already have an active reservation on the mon you want to do a write-up for. Also, if you do a revamp please mention the original authors

Last edited:
What To Use:
Sceptile @ Sceptilite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Role: Special Sweeper

What It Does: M-Sceptile is good because of its amazing special attack and speed, with these great stats Sceptile is arguably one of the best special sweepers in the tier. It outspeeds all Greninja's that aren't scarfed and other pokemon with high speed such as Noivern. It counters some very common and semi-common pokemon most notably Rotom-W, and Rhyperior, Slowbro, and like I said it checks a ton of mons and is an overall big damage dealer, making sure that not much can switch into this as it 2hkos most common switch-ins.

Good Teammates: It can work well with Talonflame as Sceptile beats Heatran, Rotom-W, and Rhyperior and just beating a lot of things that normally check Talonflame. Another one is Suicune as Sceptile does take out some of its check and it can set up calm minds and sweep when the checks are gone.

What Counters It: One of the couple of Pokemon that check this is Zapdos, Zapdos can take a hit and potentially retaliate with a Hidden Power Ice and do a lot of damage, if not KOing you. Mega-Aerodactyl is another pokemon that can check this as it outspeed and one shots this but will not take a Leaf Storm too well. Choice Scarf Garchomp is another check as it can outspeed and one shot with either Dragon Claw and or Outrage. Some checks would be Weavile and Mamoswine as they can One-Hit KO it but still can't switch in and they can't kill it behind a sub. Talonflame and M-Pinsir can be considered counters if rocks are up because Brave Bird and Quick Attack can one shot M-Sceptile. Specially Defensive Jirachi is a counter because it can take on M-Sceptile if it has Wish and beats it one vs one. Togekiss and Clefable both counter it as Clefable just sets up on it and Togekiss can keep Roosting and Air Slash you to death or just kill you with Air Slash if it is an offensive Variant.

Any Additional Info: You can run a physical set for a surprise factor but it is not recommended as a lot more pokemon check Mega Sceptile. Substitute is a great option if you want a free turn to get some some damage off. This spread allows M-Sceptile to outrun Raikou, Azelf and Starmie before evolution, the rest of the evs were put in HP to make Sceptile a bit bulkier.

EDIT: All edited with some of the suggestions below I did know about the other spreads I just made the original as it was intended for some newer players.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey can you please remove the "What not to use" section? There's really no point in that section anymore because no one really uses mons that shouldn't be used in OU, this isn't like early XY with stuff like Donphan and Florges seeing use, there's nothing we should be discouraging the use of. This should be about what's good at what when teambuilding, not what you shouldn't be using. Kthnx.

Anyways, here's something.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Role: Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper

What it Does: Mega Metagross is a lord...take Metagross, give it more impressive power and bulk, and give it a great boost in Speed as well as Tough Claws. There you have the monster that is Mega Metagross. This thing hits really hard with Tough Claws boosted Meteor Mash from 145 Attack, which crushes a lot of stuff, as well as an extra STAB Zen Headbutt to smash Conkeldurr, Mega Venusaur, Keldeo, and the like. It also has Earthquake to handle Fire- and Steel-types, or it could run Hammer Arm to crush Ferrothorn and Balloon Heatran. Ice Punch is there to crush Gliscor and Landorus-T which is just awesome. It has a great deal of Speed to work with and makes a great physical wallbreaker that can outspeed and hit hard...plus it can sweep slower teams. It also has a great defensive typing and impressive bulk so it can take on hits quite nicely such as Outrage or Draco Meteor.

Good Teammates: Dugtrio isn't a half bad teammate to trap Bisharp and Heatran which are both threats to Mega Metagross. Keldeo is also a great teammate to handle many of Metagross's checks and counters such as the aforementioned Bisharp and Heatran as well as Mega Scizor and many others. Other than that Mega Metagross is a relatively self sufficient Pokemon that should be pretty easy to fit onto any offensive team in need of its combination of bulk, power, and speed.

What Counters it: Bisharp and Greninja are both capable of revenge killing Mega Metagross with relative ease, and Talonflame can also go for the kill if it clicks Flare Blitz. Alomomola and Slowbro both have impressive bulk and can stomach Meteor Mash any day and wear it down. Metagross in general hates bulky Water-types and Scald burns really scare it (though you can run Grass Knot if you want to). Scarf Landorus-T can revenge kill, as can Scarf Garchomp to an extent. Mandibuzz has impressive bulk and Foul Play to mess with Mega Metagross. Mega Manectric is also good at dealing with Mega Metagross, either forcing it out due to Intimidate or burning it raw with Overheat. Ferrothorn can take on non Hammer Arm variants very well.

Any additional info: Mega Metagross looks 100% awesome, I mean just look at it.

ScraftyIsTheBest I was mostly keeping the "What not to use" section since the last ones also included it, though I have considered removing it to keep attention focused on the "What to Use" section, which is arguably much more useful than the not to use section. Given the slow turnout of the previous threads 2 threads, I'll go ahead and remove the "What not to use" section for now and bring it back if the "What to use" section becomes adequately full.

Shadow_Sneak I'd put some mention of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in the Counters section. Talonflame can come in on just about anything if Rocks aren't up and force it out with BB. Pinsir variants with Quick Attack can still come in on predicted Focus Blasts or Grass STAB attacks and threaten to maim or kill M-Sceptile with QA. Other than that it's looking good.

I'll edit these into the OP in the morning in case other users want to comment on the sets, but so far so good. In the meantime I'll edit the OP and remove the "What not to use" section.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What To Use:
Sceptile @ Sceptilite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain/Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire/Substitute

Role:Special Sweeper

What It Does: M-Sceptile is good because of its amazing special attack and speed, with these great stats Sceptile is arguably one of the best special sweepers in the tier. It outspeeds all Greninja's that aren't scarfed and other pokemon with high speed such as Noivern. It counters some very common and semi-common pokemon most notably Rotom-W, and Rhyperior, Slowbro, and like I said it checks a ton of mons and is an overall big damage dealer, making sure that not much can switch into this as it 2hkos most common switch-ins.

Good Teammates: It can work well with Talonflame as Sceptile beats Heatran, Rotom-W, and Rhyperior and just beating a lot of things that normally check Talonflame. Another one is Suicune as Sceptile does take out some of its check and it can set up calm minds and sweep when the checks are gone.

What Counters It: One of the couple of Pokemon that check this is Zapdos, Zapdos can take a hit and potentially retaliate with a Hidden Power Ice and do a lot of damage, if not KOing you. Mega-Aerodactyl is another pokemon that can check this as it outspeed and one shots this but will not take a Leaf Storm too well. Choice Scarf Garchomp is another check as it can outspeed and one shot with either Dragon Claw and or Outrage. A counter would be Weavile or Mamoswine as they can always one shot this with ice shard.

Any Additional Info: You can run a physical set for a surprise factor but it is not recommended as a lot more pokemon check Mega Sceptile. Substitute is a great option if you want a free turn to get some some damage off. Mixed set with Earthquake can be used to hit bulky Rock and Steel types.
Substitute I would slash before HP Fire and I feel Giga Drain is a must and Leaf Storm should be slashed on the last options if anything as that would be more for a revenge killer set. Spread should be 72 HP / 252spatk / 184 Spe to outrun Thundurus before Mega Evolution or 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe to outrun Raikou, Azelf and Starmie before evolution. I think the second spread has a bit more benefits and would more than likely go with that. There's a couple of other things I would include in the counters section such as M-Venusaur, Togekiss, Clefable, Specially Defensive Jirachi among various others while your counters such as Weavile and Mamoswine should be considered checks as they can't continuously switch into M-Sceptile again and again and if behind a sub more than likely won't be able to OHKO with Ice Shard. You beat Rock and Steel types with Giga Drain + Focus Blast so this isn't really a huge reason to use Earthquake more so that it's to hit Heatran a bit more consistently, which would also require a different spread btw.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite / Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Role: Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Designed to sweep mid-late game through the use of Swords Dance + 3 attacks and access to revenge killing with Bullet Punch. Checks M-Altaria, Clefable, M-Gardevoir, Kyurem-B and weakened threats through Bullet Punch. Superpower for coverage on such Pokemon like Heatran, Diggersby, Empoleon, Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Bisharp. Bug Bite to threaten Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Celebi, Latios and Latias, Jirachi for either consistent super effective or neutral STAB. Knock Off can be used over Bug Bite for its ability to break stall a bit better at the cost of losing some viability against threats such as M-Slowbro, M-Sableye, Chesnaught, M-Venusaur, bulky water types who are not concerned with taking Knock Off and can potentially hit back and threaten M-Scizor.

Good Teammates: Water types such as Greninja, Manaphy, Slowbro, Rotom-W, Azumarill, Keldeo to provide an answer to M-Scizor's Fire weakness both from an offensive and defensive standpoint. Dragon types such as Garchomp, Dragonite, and Kyurem-B as they provide some offensive synergy to handle the checks to M-Scizor while M-Scizor will threaten the Ice and Fairy types that the Dragon types will have issues with. Status Absorbers such as Natural Cure Celebi, Heatran for Will-O-Wisp and Toxic, Magic Guard Clefable can help with blocking status effects such as burns and paralysis for M-Scizor to sweep more efficiently.

What Counters It: Unaware Quagsire, Doublade, Cofagrigus, Charizard-Y, Talonflame, Stallbreaker Infernape are some counters to this set due to typing, abilities, recovery, or all of the above. Offensive Timid Heatran, Thundurus, Landorus-T, Keldeo, Charizard-X, Counter/Taunt Skarmory are some checks to M-Scizor.

Additional Info: M-Scizor hates burns. Don't let it get burned and don't risk a play where it can potentially get burned. That is all.

Edit: Sanger Zonvolt Jolly lets you outpace everything from Mega Tyranitar and below which will allow you to hit mons such as Breloom, Bisharp, Adamant Diggersby and so on instead of having a complete disadvantage against them. Most people at this point run Jolly with this particular moveset while Roost would be slashed with an Adamant nature but that's basically a different spread and set all together. I added Karxrida mention of Knock Off but I'm going to mention that you have a harder time beating Mega Evolutions and potentially lose it's ability to break mons such as bulky waters types. Good for stall breaking utility not so much for sweeping from what I've find through practice.

I can add more details just late for me and can do tomorrow.

Last edited:
What to use:
image.jpg

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Zen Headbutt
-Knock Off

Role: Wallbreaker

What It does: Gallade-Mega is arguably one of the best megas of OR/AS. 165 base attack and access to Swords Dance enable Gallade to break even the sturdiest of walls. Between Close Combat, Zen Headbutt and Knock Off, M-Gallade will have no trouble denting teams as Dark / Fighting / Psychic coverage is unresisted. Now what this monster does is simple: it breaks down walls and weakens cores so that a teammate can clean up. Knock Off is quite useful because it allows Gallade to remove recovery items such as Leftovers. It also permits him to muscle past bulky psychic types.

Good Teammates: Rotom-W is an excellent teammate for M-Gallade because it checks Talonflame. It also wears down walls with Will-O-Wisp, making Gallade's job easier. Offensive pokemon such as Greninja, Bisharp, Talonflame and Diggersby, capitalize on Gallade's wallbreaking, as they easily clean up weakened teams. Volt-Turn works efficiently with Gallade, allowing him to come in on favorable targets and start wreaking havoc from there. Landorus-T, Scizor, and Raikou are notable Volt-Turn users. Clefable is a great partner due to its ability to beat M-Gallade's biggest counter, Mega Sableye.

What Counters It: Mega Sableye, Mega Slowbro, and Unaware Clefable. Talonflame makes quick work of him with priority Brave Bird. Scarfers or naturally faster mons are decent checks to Gallade, though they'd have to either hit him super-effectively or face him when he's been weakened (M-Gallade has nice bulk for an offensive mon).

Any Additional Info: Status is not M-Gallade's friend, so be sure to have a cleric or a Healing Wish user on deck. Hazard stacking works really well with M-Gall, as it turns 2HKO's into OHKO's.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Substitute I would slash before HP Fire and I feel Giga Drain is a must and Leaf Storm should be slashed on the last options if anything as that would be more for a revenge killer set. Spread should be 72 HP / 252spatk / 184 Spe to outrun Thundurus before Mega Evolution or 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe to outrun Raikou, Azelf and Starmie before evolution. I think the second spread has a bit more benefits and would more than likely go with that. There's a couple of other things I would include in the counters section such as M-Venusaur, Togekiss, Clefable, Specially Defensive Jirachi among various others while your counters such as Weavile and Mamoswine should be considered checks as they can't continuously switch into M-Sceptile again and again and if behind a sub more than likely won't be able to OHKO with Ice Shard. You beat Rock and Steel types with Giga Drain + Focus Blast so this isn't really a huge reason to use Earthquake more so that it's to hit Heatran a bit more consistently, which would also require a different spread btw.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

What It Does: Designed to sweep mid-late game through the use of Swords Dance + 3 attacks and access to revenge killing with Bullet Punch. Checks M-Altaria, Clefable, M-Gardevoir, Kyurem-B and weakened threats through Bullet Punch. Superpower for coverage on such Pokemon like Heatran, Diggersby, Empoleon, Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Bisharp. Bug Bite to threaten Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Celebi, Latios and Latias, Jirachi for either consistent super effective or neutral STAB.

Good Teammates: Water types such as Greninja, Manaphy, Slowbro, Rotom-W, Azumarill, Keldeo to provide an answer to M-Scizor's Fire weakness both from an offensive and defensive standpoint. Dragon types such as Garchomp, Dragonite, and Kyurem-B as they provide some offensive synergy to handle the checks to M-Scizor while M-Scizor will threaten the Ice and Fairy types that the Dragon types will have issues with. Status Absorbers such as Natural Cure Celebi, Heatran for Will-O-Wisp and Toxic, Magic Guard Clefable can help with blocking status effects such as burns and paralysis for M-Scizor to sweep more efficiently.

What Counters It: Unaware Quagsire, Doublade, Cofagrigus, Charizard-Y, Talonflame, Stallbreaker Infernape are some counters to this set due to typing, abilities, recovery, or all of the above. Offensive Timid Heatran, Thundurus, Landorus-T, Keldeo, Charizard-X, Counter/Taunt Skarmory are some checks to M-Scizor.

Additional Info: M-Scizor hates burns. Don't let it get burned and don't risk a play where it can potentially get burned. That is all.

I can add more details just late for me and can do tomorrow.
Shouldn't Knock Off be slashed after Bug Bite? It helps Scizor do some early-game work crippling switch-ins and hits Jirachi harder.

All right, I went ahead and added the sets. AM if you decide to edit your entry just let me know. I know Karxrida brings up a decent point about Knock Off, but I also know I hate Mega Bro. Also, just out of curiosity, what do you outspeed using Jolly over Adamant on Mega Scizor?

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Reserving Sableye until I got it all written n_n

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Role: Special Sweeper, Tank

What it Does: With great defensive stats and typing, amazing ability, and access to a plethora of support moves, Mega Sableye has the ability to act as a great glue Pokemon on defensively oriented teams. Its uncommon Ghost / Dark typing gives Sableye the capability to take on strong Fighting-types such as Mega Medicham, Mega Gallade, and Mega Heracross, to an extent. These Pokemon are otherwise close to impossible for stall teams to deal with, which is the reason why Mega Sableye is such a great addition to these teams. As Mega Sableye beats most entry hazard setters once it has Mega Evolved, its presence will make the opponent think twice before trying to set entry hazards. This is quite the feat, as having hazard control with having to use a Rapid Spin or Defog user unbrudens any team. Lastly, becuase Mega Sableye has access to Calm Mind, it makes of a terrifying mid-game sweeper. After it has got a couple of Calm Minds under its belt, which is surprisingly easy to get, there are only a couple of Pokemon capable of dealing with Mega Sableye.

Good Teammates: As Fairy-types are the most troublesome Pokemon for Mega Sableye to deal with, most Steel-types make for good teammates. Heatran and Jirachi excel at the role of taking on Fairy-types, as both are capable of beating Calm Mind Clefable, Unaware Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir, without much support. Mega Gyarados is also hard for Mega Sableye to take on, as it resists both of its STAB moves, and can avoid burns with Substitute or Mold Breaker Taunt. Thus, Chesbaught and Ferrothorn make for good teammates. Lastly, Heatran can be a bit annyoing to deal with, as it can absorb Will-O-Wisp, and burn Mega Sableye with Lava Plume. Again, Heatran of your own, and bulky Water-types, such as Tentacruel and Slowbro, make great partners.

What Counters It: Unaware Clefable is the one Pokemon that counters all of Mega Sableye's sets. While they don't counter Mega Sableye, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, and Sylveon all pose huge threats to it, thanks to their Fairy-type STAB moves. Mega Gyarados is capable of shutting Mega Sableye down with Mold Breaker Taunt, or avoid Will-O-Wisp's with Substitute. Once it has a Dragon Dance under its belt, it has enough power to 2HKO Mega Sableye. Lastly, Heatran is annoying for Mega Sableye to deal with, as it absorbs Will-O-Wisp, and between burns and Magma Storm or Fire Blast damage, Mega Sableye will be worn down.

Last edited:
Done

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-Turn
- Hyper Beam / Roost

Role: Special Sweeper / Wallbreaker

What It Does:
Mega Pidgeot is one of the most underrated special wallbreakers in OU, as 100% accurate Hurricane is nothing to mess around with. It 2HKO's or OHKO's almost the entire tier thanks to its high power. Mega Pidgeot boasts a fantastic 135 base Special Attack and a great Speed tier of 121. It also has decent coverage in Heat Wave, allowing it to deal with Steel types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, which would otherwise trouble it. However, Pidgeot has a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock and its checks and counters, such as Tyranitar and Heatran, are pretty easy to come across, and it faces severe competition from Tornadus-T.

Good Teammates:
Dugtrio, using it's Ability, Arena Trap, it traps Heatran, one of Pidgeot's best counters, and OHKOs it with Earthquake. Healing Wish Latias with Defog keeps Pidgeot at high health, which is pretty important since Pidgeot is slightly vulnerable to priority. Hazard setters that use Stealth Rocks and Spikes, like Ferrothorn, make Pidgeot's job a lot easier. The chip damage doesn't seem like it would do too much, but with out it, Pidgeot misses out on a lot of crucial KO's.

What Counters It:
Rotom-Wash, Chansey, Heatran and Tyranitar. All of these Pokémon take very little damage from Hurricane or Heat Wave, but they have to be careful if you're running U-Turn.

Any Additional Info:
Pidgeot faces huge competition for a Mega Slot. a lot of Pokémon can do it's job just as well, if not better, and they don't use up your Mega Slot. A prime example is Tornadus-T.

Last edited:

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Role: Special Sweeper

What It Does: Mega Diancie is a very good special sweeper. To start, Magic Bounce lets it act as a form of hazard control against obvious SR setters. Granted, there are some hazard setters that can scare it off, like Ferro with Gyro Ball or Lando-T with Earthquake, but for the most part this isn't a huge issue. Diancie also is a functional offensive BirdSpam check, taking on Talonflame and Mega Pinsir fairly easily. Diancie's two biggest selling points, however, are it's absurd base stat total (nearly 700!) and it's good coverage. Moonblast and Earth Power complement each other well, as Earth Power hits most of the Steels and Poisons that resist Fairy. Diamond Storm KOes everything it needs to even with an attacking decreasing nature, as most things you want to hit with it are 4x weak to it, namely Talonflame, both Zards and Mega Pinsir. Hidden Power Fire nails otherwise good checks Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory very hard. It's base stats back up that nice movepool, every stat other than HP is over 110, with the attacking stats clocking in at 160 apiece.

Good Teammates: Diancie appreciates anything that can take on bulky Steels as a teammate, because you may not nail the HP Fire prediction every time. Infernape, Heatran, and Magnezone are solid options for dealing with these Steels. Volt-Turn support is also nice, because Diancie's biggest flaw is it's low speed before it Mega Evolves. With Volt-Turn support, Diancie can have an easier time finding a space to Mega Evolve. Teammates that take on Chansey and Cresselia are also appreciated, as Diancie can have a difficult time breaking them. Bisharp is a good option from this standpoint, as it cripples Chansey and breaks Cress.

What Counters It: As mentioned above, Chansey and Cress both give Diancie trouble because they take all of Diancie's attacks reasonably well. Scizor and Mega Sczior are good checks, as they can switch in on any non-HP Fire attack and strike back with Bullet Punch. Azumarill is also a reasonable answer, as it can take any attack at least once and force it out with Aqua Jet after a little bit of damage.

Any Additional Info: Diancie has some other option outside of this set-up. Calm Mind / Moonblast / Earth Power / Psyshock gives Diancie some stallbreaking ability, at the expense of weakening it's match-up with Steel types. Rock Polish is also a viable option to give Diancie a better match-up against the Greninjas of the OU world.

I'll also add this:

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick / Fake Out / Poison Jab

Role: Revenge Killer, Cleaner

What It Does: Weavile is a very solid team member, boasting a ridiculous speed tier and high attack stat to go along with it. It got a slight boost in ORAS, as Knock Off and Icicle Crash are now legal together (it had to use Ice Punch previously). A fast STAB Knock Off is an amazing tool, and allows Weavile to even put in some work against more defensive and bulkier teams. Ice STAB is also a very good reason to use Weavile. Ice is an amazing offensive type and lackluster defensive type, and Weavile is practically built to use Ice typing effectively. Ice Shard allows Weavile to revenge kill faster threats, including Scarf Landorus-T, Mega Sceptile, Mega Salamence, and Thundurus-I. Weavile also has the luxury of picking it's checks with it's last moveslot. Low Kick hurts Tyranitar, Heatran and Ferrothorn. Fake Out eases prediction and helps against Sash users. Poison Jab, the least used option of the three, gives Weavile a shot against Fairies. In particular, it hurts Azumarill hard, who otherwise walls it.

Good Teammates: Anything that can pivot into strong priority like Bullet Punch and Mach Punch is greatly appreciated. More offensive versions of Heatran can reliably take on Scizor, Clefable, and Talonflame. Azumarill can check Conk fairly well. Clefable and Talon check Breloom. All of those are common priority users that give Weavile trouble. Rotom-W is also a good teammate, as Talonflame is a good revenge killer of Weavile due to strong priority. Hazard control is also a must, good options include the Lati@s twins or a Mega with Magic Bounce (Diancie or Sableye).

What Counters It: If not running Low Kick, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Bisharp, and Heatran are solid checks. If not running Poison Jab, Azumarill is a very solid check. Cobalion, Clefable, and Infernape are good switch-ins as well, due to having the bulk and typing to take the STABs reasonably well.

Any Additional Info: Not much. It's very strong, but it's very frail as well. Saving it for later in the game is a good idea, as a slower, worn-down team is Weavile's ideal match-up.

Last edited:

napty

Banned deucer.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 108 Spe / 252 HP / 148 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot / Recover
- Giga Drain

Role: Special Wall, Support

What It Does: Celebi can come on a lot of stuff in the OverUsed Metagame, like
Keldeo,
Latios,
Latias,
Thundurus,
Mega Dancie,
Ferrothorn,
Rotom-Wash,
Slowbro and Mega Slowbro or
Mega Sceptile for example. By now, you just have to make a Sub and pass it to an ally in order to ease a sweep. I used a lot this set, along with a Bisharp, and I have swept a lot of team thanks to its Sub, as well as its momentum. Celebi is also a real help in front of Rain Team.

Good Teammates:
-
Keldeo: Great synergy, can sweep any team with its Scarf set when it received the Nasty Plot boost. While Celebi struggles against Bisharp, Keldeo doesn't, Celebi also helps vs Slowbro and stuff
-
Bisharp: a Bisharp at +2 can sweep any kind of team and thanks to Celebi's Substitute it's easier for it to setup.
-
Heatran: Great synergy and its defensive typing helps vs Talonflame and stuff
-
Landorus-T: Great Volt-Turn core with Celebi, although there is a huge ice weakness. Lando also hates Rotom while Celebi can take advantage of it to make a sub and pass it to an ally. Also helps vs Slowbro
-
Talonflame: a Sub can help it setup a SD and we all know how threatening is a freaking Talonflame at +2. Also Celebi can deal with Rotom which is a pain for Talonflame
-
Gyarados: Great synergy, also the Sub can't be broken by Bisharp with some investment, which is cool because Bisharp loves to switch in front of Celebi.
-
Camerupt: Great synergy, Came has an insane power but it is slow and its stab are easy to be played around, so Sub ease prediction

What Counters It: Nothing really prevents it from doing its job, except Roar user like Heatran. Bisharp can't Pursuit because this Celebi has enough speed to outspeed it and use Baton Pass before. It has some flaws which are the Knock Off/U-Turn weakness, bird spam and stuff but everything has a price and Celebi isn't meant to switch/stay onto such moves.

Last edited:
napty sorry, but can you use words instead of sprites in your descriptions? It makes my life a lot easier when I copy and paste. I'd also mention something about Birdspam and other physical threats with Super Effective STABs in what counters it. Even if they don't give this set any problems, it would help new players if it's at least mention that they should watch out for these threats and predict their switch-ins.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Role: Physical Wall, Hazard Setter

What It Does: Designed to take down most dark types and multiple steel types in OU for stall, Chesnaught has gotten a bit more offensive with the addition of Drain Punch. Where stall in particular can have issues with Bisharp, Chesnaught is one of the most consistent answers to Bisharp in the game. However, Chesnaught is so much more than a simple Bisharp counter. Physical Tyranitar, Mega Gyarados, Excadrill, Breloom, and Crawdaunt lacking Aerial Ace all fail to do much of anything to Chesnaught. Because these mons fail to do much to Chesnaught, they provide excellent turns for Chesnaught to set spikes or Leech Seed pokemon switching in. Chesnaught is also useful in taking down Chansey, Ferrothorn, Mamoswine and Terrakion, though all of them can still do their intended purpose as Chesnaught attempts to kill them. Lastly, Chesnaught is an excellent check to Rotom-wash, Azumarill, Slowbro and Weavile. The EV spread is specifically made to beat Azumarill in almost all sets. The speed allows Chesnaught to outspeed Jolly Azumarill + 1 as to speed creep 44 Speed rotom-Wash. Adamant 32 attack allows Chesnaught to KO Azumarill at 96 bulk and 252 bulk Azumarill 50% of the time. This attack also allows Chesnaught to nail down Rotom-wash under 80% health.

Good Teammates:

Rhyperior is one of Chesnaught's best friends, taking all the fly spam switching in to beat Chesnaught. Mega Charizard X, which beats Chesnaught with relative ease, is stopped by Rhyperior. He also completes the hazard setting core with Stealth Rocks.

Mega Slowbro is another great option for Chesnaught, taking Talonflame and Charizard X relatively well. He also plays well with Rhypeior, making these three a dominant physical walling core. However, two of the advantages Slowbro has over Rhyperior is passable special bulk and reliable recovery.

Chansey is a great option on any stall team and a good partner to Chesnaught to help take special attackers like Charizard Y. The cleric help to remove burns from Chesnaught is helpful, just in case Chesnaught gets burned switching into a scald.

What Counters It:

The most sure-fire counter to Chesnaught is Mega Altaria, who doesn't care much for anything Chesnaught does and can set up all over Chesnaught. Scizor is more of the same, setting up Swords Dance while Chesnaught can only Leech Seed or flee. Talonflame will be a great check, as will Gardevoir, Clefable and Sylveon. However, Sylveon and Clefable must make sure they aren't low on health or Wood Hammer will kill them. Lastly, Medicham-Mega and Gallade-Mega are real threats, though neither want to eat wood hammer.

Any Additional Info:

Chesnaught has a great deal of outside moves that can be utalized. One of the most interesting remaining moves would be Spiky Shield and Taunt, the former helping Chesnaught seed stall and the ladder helping Chesnaught actually do a bit of stall breaking. If you want to go even more offensive, Substitute with Rock Slide isn't a terrible option, as Sub+3 Attack has a lot of opportunities to come in and wreak havoc.

What to use:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 232 Spd / 24 Def
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Stone Edge

Role: Revenge Killer

What It does: Landorus-T equipped with a scarf is one of the best revenge killers OU has to offer. Having a decent 91 base speed, it is able to outspeed dangerous set up sweepers such as Gyarados-Mega, Dragonite, and Adamant Zard X at +1. Not only this, scarf Lando-T outspeeds all of the OR/AS megas unboosted and threatens to 2HKO the majority of them. U-turn allows Lando to act as a decent scout and with it, he can deal chip damage to bulkier pokemon as well as keep the momentum going in its teams favor. EdgeQuake is a very good combo, as it hits many pokemon decently hard. Knock Off is such an amazing, spammable move because it cripples Lando's checks and removes invaluable items off of counters.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that can absorb ice and water type attacks make great partners for Landorus-T. Rotom-W, Keldeo and Ferrothorn are notable mentions. Wallbreakers such as Gallade-Mega, Kyurem-Black and Diggersby pair up amazingly with Lando, for he can bring them in by U-turn and allow them to crack some skulls. Trappers like Gothitelle and Magnezone are great teammates, too.

What Counters It: Slowbro, Skarmory, Chesnaught, and Rotom-Wash make for some of its best counters. Ferrothorn can Leech Seed + Protect stall and wear it down pretty easily. Mamoswine, Weavile, and Conkeldurr check it nicely as the former two are able to OHKO Landorus-T with priority Ice Shard, while the latter can easily take a hit and KO with Ice Punch. Faster scarfers are good checks to it aswell.

Any Additional Info: Explosion can be ran over Knock Off, giving Lando T the option of erasing, or at the very least, severely weakening a key member of the opposing team. Superpower is another viable move to run. It has a 50% chance of ohkoing Mega Gyarados after rocks and easily ohko's Mega Lopunny. Plus, it is a good move to hit things like weakned Rotom-Wash and Ferrothorn.

Edit: Changed Lando-T's EVs to 252 Atk/24 Def/232 Spe to outspeed Jolly Excadrill by one point. 24 Def gives Lando a bit of bulk, seeing as it really doesn't need to fully invest in speed.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What to use:

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Stone Edge

What it does: Landorus-T equipped with a scarf is one of the best revenge killers OU has to offer. Having a decent 91 base speed, it is able to outspeed dangerous set up sweepers such as Gyarados-Mega, Dragonite, and Adamant Zard X at +1. Not only this, scarf Lando-T outspeeds all of the OR/AS megas unboosted and threatens to 2HKO the majority of them. U-turn allows Lando to act as a decent scout and with it, he can deal chip damage to bulkier pokemon as well as keep the momentum going in its teams favor. EdgeQuake is a very good combo, as it hits many pokemon decently hard. Knock Off is such an amazing, spammable move because it cripples Lando's checks and removes invaluable items off of counters.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that can absorb ice and water type attacks make great partners for Landorus-T. Rotom-W, Keldeo and Ferrothorn are notable mentions. Wallbreakers such as Gallade-Mega, Kyurem-Black and Diggersby pair up amazingly with Lando, for he can bring them in by U-turn and allow them to crack some skulls. Trappers like Gothitelle and Magnezone are great teammates, too.

What Counters it: Slowbro, Skarmory, Chesnaught, and Rotom-Wash make for some of its best counters. Ferrothorn can Leech Seed + Protect stall and wear it down pretty easily. Mamoswine, Weavile, and Conkeldurr check it nicely as the former two are able to OHKO Landorus-T with priority Ice Shard, while the latter can easily take a hit and KO with Ice Punch. Faster scarfers are good checks to it aswell.

Any Additional Info: Explosion can be ran over Knock Off, giving Lando T the option of erasing, or at the very least, severely weakening key members of the opposing team.
You want the last 4 EVs in Defense, not HP, since otherwise you have a number divisible by 4 (at 320 total). Also, this set doubles as a pivot thanks to Intimidate and U-turn, just not as bulky as Bulky Lando-T (redundant statements for the win!).

You want the last 4 EVs in Defense, not HP, since otherwise you have a number divisible by 4 (at 320 total). Also, this set doubles as a pivot thanks to Intimidate and U-turn, just not as bulky as Bulky Lando-T (redundant statements for the win!).
Noted. :]

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute / Refresh / Heal Bell
- Frustration / Facade
- Roost

What It Does: Mega Altaria is very good with the Sub DD Roost set. It can set up on a lot of mons in OU, and clean late game. Mega Altaria can also counter/check a lot thanks to its unique typing, such as the Zards, Lati@s, Breloom, Conkeldurr, Keldeo, Dragonite, Mega Heracross, Kyurem-Black, Mega Gallade, and a few others. Besides Substitute, Refresh and Heal Bell are other options so you can switch in on Toxics from Chansey or Will-O-Wisps from Rotom-W and set up on them. Refresh, which only heals the user, can be used to Stall out Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, as it has 32 PP. Heal Bell can be used to heal your full team from Status, but it only has 8 PP, so you can't really stall your opponent out of PP. The EVs are pretty specific on this set, although there are other options you can use. 248 HP to take less from Stealth Rocks, 108 Defense to better check the mons listed before, as most of them are physical, and 152 Speed with a Jolly nature to outspeed Weavile at +1. You can use 176 Speed with a Jolly nature to outspeed Mega Beedrill at +1 if it is a problem for you team.

Good Teammates: Magnezone is a good teammate because it can trap and kill most steel types. Stall Breaker or Swords Dance Talonflame is a very good teammate as it can beat almost all of Mega Altaria's counters, except for a few. Mega Altaria performs really well on Sand Offense. Water Types are also good

What Counters It: Mega Altaria is hard stopped by Steel Types, such as Heatran, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Scizor. Some Poison and Fairy Types can also be a problem, mainly Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Unaware Clefable.

Any Additional Info: Make sure you remove all Steel Types before attempting to set up with Mega Altaria.

Last edited:
What to use:

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Stone Edge

What it does: Landorus-T equipped with a scarf is one of the best revenge killers OU has to offer. Having a decent 91 base speed, it is able to outspeed dangerous set up sweepers such as Gyarados-Mega, Dragonite, and Adamant Zard X at +1. Not only this, scarf Lando-T outspeeds all of the OR/AS megas unboosted and threatens to 2HKO the majority of them. U-turn allows Lando to act as a decent scout and with it, he can deal chip damage to bulkier pokemon as well as keep the momentum going in its teams favor. EdgeQuake is a very good combo, as it hits many pokemon decently hard. Knock Off is such an amazing, spammable move because it cripples Lando's checks and removes invaluable items off of counters.

What Counters it: Slowbro, Skarmory, Chesnaught, and Rotom-Wash make for some of its best counters. Ferrothorn can Leech Seed + Protect stall and wear it down pretty easily. Mamoswine, Weavile, and Conkeldurr check it nicely as the former two are able to OHKO Landorus-T with priority Ice Shard, while the latter can easily take a hit and KO with Ice Punch. Faster scarfers are good checks to it aswell.

Any Additional Info: Explosion can be ran over Knock Off, giving Lando T the option of erasing, or at the very least, severely weakening a key member of the opposing team.
Wouldn't Superpower be an option for hitting Mega Gyarados?

Anyways:

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Role: Support (Trapper)

What it Does: Magnezone is probably one of the most infamous trappers in the OU tier. Thanks to it's Magnet Pull ability it's able to trap steel types such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, or Skarmory and take them out with HP Fire and Thunderbolt respectively, aiding one of its teammates in starting their sweep. A Choice Scarf allows Magnezone check bird spam from Adamant Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, as well as helping it to perform better against offensive teams. Even without any steel types to trap Magnezone can still find a job in taking down fairy types like Clefable, Sylveon, and Diancie, as well as just firing off attacks from it's fairly impressive base 130 special attack stat.

Good Teammates: Any pokemon that appreciates having opposing steel types taken out of the picture will enjoy Magnezone's presence on their team. Dragonite, Mega Pinsir, Mega Beedrill and Mega Gyarados stand out as examples. Magnezone appreciates having pokemon with Knock Off like Landorus-T and Mega Beedrill on its team to remove the Shed Shell item that Skarmory and sometimes Ferrothorn carry to avoid being trapped. Grass and water types that can beat the ground types that like to switch into Magnezone also make good teammates. Azumarill in particular stands out in this regard. Not only does it carry Knock Off but it also has good defensive synergy with Magnezone and the two of them form 2/3s of a Dragon-Fairy-Steel core.

What Counters it: Ground types like Hippowdon, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Quagsire being immune to electric attacks can easily take advantage of Magnezone being locked into an electric move and come in for free. Fighting and fire type pokemon like Conkeldurr, Heatran and Mega Camerupt can also switch into Magnezone and threaten it out with a super effective move. Electric types like Mega Manectric and Raikou resist both Magnezone's STABs and in Manectric's case can hit Magnezone with an Overheat. Finally specially defensive pokemon like Chansey, Mew, and Celebi all wall Magnezone and can easily heal off any damage it does to them.

Any Additional Info: A neutral Thunderbolt does more damage than a 2x super effective HP fire. Not all steel types are safe to try and beat, for example Mega Metagross and Heatran both beat Magnezone provided they haven't been weakened before hand. Keep in mind that Magnezone is a very slow Scarfer, Raikou, Starmie and anything faster than them can still out speed it. A Choice Specs set with a Modest nature and an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe is also viable, however it has a more difficult time versus offensive teams.

Last edited:
All right, OP has been updated with the finished sets. Keep up the good work guys.

EDIT: Added ArchPhantom's edit, fixed the broken image links and hid the set descriptions inside of hide tags make it easier to read one set at a time (credit to Wheezer for the suggestion)

Last edited:
Wouldn't Superpower be an option for hitting Mega Gyarados?

Anyways:

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Role: Support (Trapper)

What it Does: Magnezone is probably one of the most infamous trappers in the OU tier. Thanks to it's Magnet Pull ability it's able to trap steel types such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, or Skarmory and take them out with HP Fire and Thunderbolt respectively, aiding one of its teammates in starting their sweep. A Choice Scarf allows Magnezone check bird spam from Adamant Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, as well as helping it to perform better against offensive teams. Even without any steel types to trap Magnezone can still find a job in taking down fairy types like Clefable, Sylveon, and Diancie, as well as just firing off attacks from it's fairly impressive base 130 special attack stat.

Good Teammates: Any pokemon that appreciates having opposing steel types taken out of the picture will enjoy Magnezone's presence on their team. Dragonite, Mega Pinsir, Mega Beedrill and Mega Gyarados stand out as examples. Magnezone appreciates having pokemon with Knock Off like Landorus-T and Mega Beedrill on its team to remove the Shed Shell item that Skarmory and sometimes Ferrothorn carry to avoid being trapped. Grass and water types that can beat the ground types that like to switch into Magnezone also make good teammates. Azumarill in particular stands out in this regard. Not only does it carry Knock Off but it also has good defensive synergy with Magnezone and the two of them form 2/3s of a Dragon-Fairy-Steel core.

What Counters it: Ground types like Hippowdon, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Quagsire being immune to electric attacks can easily take advantage of Magnezone being locked into an electric move and come in for free. Fighting and fire type pokemon like Conkeldurr, Heatran and Mega Camerupt can also switch into Magnezone and threaten it out with a super effective move. Electric types like Mega Manectric and Raikou resist both Magnezone's STABs and in Manectric's case can hit Magnezone with an Overheat. Finally specially defensive pokemon like Chansey, Mew, and Celebi all wall Magnezone and can easily heal off any damage it does to them.

Any Additional Info: A neutral Thunderbolt does more damage than a 2x super effective HP fire. Not all steel types are safe to try and beat, for example Mega Metagross and Heatran both beat Magnezone provided they haven't been weakened before hand. Keep in mind that Magnezone is a very slow Scarfer, Raikou, Starmie and anything faster than them can still out speed it.
Yeah, that slipped my mind. Will edit the post. Thanks!

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
reserved for Mega Beedrill

(will update this periodically in between procrastinating other stuff i need to write =]

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- U-Turn
- Drill Run / Knock off

Role: Scout / Late -game Cleaner

What It Does: Beedrill uses his excellent speed and attack stat to get off fast and insanely powerful Adaptability U-turns on his opponents. His excellent Base 145 Speed allows him to outrun the entire unboosted Metagame bar Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Sceptile. His base 150 Attack, backed by Adaptability, allows Beedrill to hit insanely hard with his STABs alone, unless they are 4x resisted / immune. Beedrill is designed to maintain momentum throughout the match, as he can move before his opponents to bring in a teammate who can handle the situation better than he can. Late-game Beedrill can clean up weakened teams, as his speed and power are enough to pull off the feat against many mons that lack priority.

Good Teammates:

What Counters It:
Skarmory.

Any Additional Info:
Beedrill will stab you if you piss him off. Don't piss him off.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
A few to include

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect / Knock Off / Pursuit

Role: Revenge Killer / Late-Game Cleaner

What it Does: M-Beedrills role in terms of OU finds itself primarily on Volt-Turn and Hyper Offensive builds as both a Revenge Killer and Cleaner. Adaptability boosted U-Turn allows it to switch into an appropriate check and counter while having the speed and power necessary to threaten both offensive and defensive builds. Poison Jab is used to break Fairy types while providing a strong STAB for neutral coverage against a variety of Pokemon. Drill run is coverage to hit Heatran in particular as well as others such as Cobalion, Terrakion, and Empoleon to name a few. Protect is to give it a free turn for Mega Evolution as its poor base speed prior to mega evolution as well as general scouting. Knock Off is for stall-breaking utility and pairs well with Magnezone to remove Shed Shell from Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Pursuit is for Pursuit Trapping weakened mons and bulky Psychic type who try to switch from being threatened by U-Turn.

Good Teammates: As mentioned previously Magnezone provides an excellent partner from both an offensive and defensive standpoint along with providing momentum with Volt Switch. Due to the nature of where you would use M-Beedrill Stealth Rock Setters such as Azelf, Sash Mamoswine and Lando-T can be useful partners to provide this hazard. Healing Wish users such as Jirachi and Latias are solid partners to heal M-Beedrill HP and Status mid-late game with Healing Wish, with Latias being able to provide Defog Support to remove hazards for M-Beedrill. Azumarill, Diggersby, Rotom-W, Garchomp, Greninja, Bisharp, and Tyranitar are a handful of other partners that can be used with M-Beedrill as well.

What Counters it: Consistent counters include bulky Steel types like Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarmory as M-Beedrill doesn't have the power or utility to threaten them in a 1v1 scenario. M-Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, Gliscor are some counters to provide a more offensive aspect along with defensive utility to threaten M-Beedrill with. M-Beedrill is extremely frail and prone to hazard stacking from both offensive and defensive archetypes so utilizing hazards can apply pressure to M-Beedrill. M-Beedrill is prone to users of priority such as Bisharp, Azumarill, Diggersby, Scizor and for the most part any priority user that utilizes non Fighting priority can threaten M-Beedrill as well.

Any Additional Info: M-Beedrill's success is found on teams that continuously apply offensive pressure and as such from both a practical and team-building perspective one should take this into account when using and building around M-Beedrill. Also remember that Adaptability boosts the power of its STAB moves and not its coverage moves, so don't overestimate the power of Drill Run and miscellaneous coverage if being used. M-Beedrill can be viewed as a high risk high reward Pokemon so maximize coverage with teambuilding to improve the rewards and minimize risk.

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear / Endeavor / Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Role: Hazard Setter

What it Does: Provides Stealth Rock consistently with its use of Focus Sash and Oblivious nature which makes it immune to Taunt. Ice Shard to provide revenge killing aspects when necessary against weakened opponents and to provide a last resort hit before going down. Earthquake for STAB to hit Pokemon such as Heatran, Charizard-X, Bisharp among others. Icicle Spear for STAB used to break Gliscor, Multiscale Dragonite, Sash Breloom, and Sash mons in general. Endeavor can be used on Hyper Offensive builds once sash is activated to get an opposing mon into the 1% mark and either revenge kill it through Ice Shard or have a partner pick it off. Icicle Crash is more consistent for damage output but loses the benefits of the other two move slots.

Good Teammates: Healing Wish users such Latias and Jirachi to provide various utility and to maintain a weakened Mamoswines Sash if its still intact. Partners such as Thundurus, Raikou, M-Venusaur, Celebi can help to break bulky Water types that Mamoswine has issues with. Offensive Psychic Types such as M-Alakazam, Latios, Latias, M-Gallade, M-Gardevoir, can help with various Fighting Types that can threaten Mamoswine. M-Pinsir, Talonflame, Staraptor, M-Heracross can be used to threaten bulky Grass types to alleviate the pressure on Mamoswine against opposing mons such as Defensive Celebi, M-Venusaur, and Ferrothorn.

What Counters it: Levitate Bronzong resists Ice and is immune to Earthquake. Skarmory has the bulk to not worry about Mamoswines attacks and can set hazards, heal, and threaten back until its worn down or defeated. Bulky water types such as Rotom-W and Slowbro completely counter this set and have the bulk and typing to threaten Mamoswine back.

Any Additional Info: It's best to lead off with this as to not run the risk of breaking Focus Sash through opponents setting up hazards initially. Endeavor is good on offensive builds while secondary Ice STAB is good on more Balanced builds that don't require so much pressure on momentum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)