1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Project GBU Dex [Reservations go here]

Discussion in 'Global Battle Union' started by Solace, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Solace

Solace swing from the chandelier
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

GBU is a metagame of its own, with different viable Pokemon, rules, and unique play from Smogon standard BW OU. What we're looking for is this. These threads talk about the Pokemon's stats, moves, and common and effective movesets. It allows people to contribute their own experiences and ideas, and overall promotes activity. There are tons of viable Pokemon, and tons of underappreciated Pokemon, so anyone can contribute. Don't be afraid to jump in either! If you're not ready to make your own Pokemon thread, talk in other people's. See what they do, and stick around. It's quick content, it's informative, and it's a way to share what you know and help the GBU subforum get active!

Back up what you're saying with experiences or ideas, follow the rules, and most importantly have fun!

Before we start, here are some helpful threads to help you familiarize yourself with the battle formats. However, as these are discussion threads, you will need to read more than just the op to gather useful information.

Metagame Discussion Threads:

Single Battle Metagame
    Double Battle Metagame
    Triple Battle Metagame
    Rotation Battle Metagame
    Launcher Battle Metagame

And last but not least, a "general" thread, or so to speak, about the GBU itself

Flat Battle / Random Battle Discussion

Feel free (and please do, if you can) to contribute your experiences in these threads!

Current Reservations / Finished Threads
    If the thread is posted, it will be linked. As a note: There will only be one thread for each Pokemon. You may choose to tailor your thread towards a specific metagame, but remember that the discussion of a different GBU metagame in said thread is allowed and encouraged. Please finish your thread(s) in a reasonable amount of time.

Also feel free to post/link with any posted threads that haven't been listed yet.

Important: When making your threads, be sure to bold what metagame the set is to be used in!
    This thread is a good example

You can reserve up to 10 threads at a time. Finish all of your threads before reserving a new wave.

Oh and one last note: Though this could go without saying, you are writing these threads, you should at least have some experience in one of the battle formats.

Kanto (open)
    Kanto
    Blastoise - DreamTalonGolduck - Cassie
    Tentacruel - Joel
    Starmie - cosmicexplorer
    Hitmonlee - assassinfred
    Gyarados - Ashenlock
    Zapdos - Cassie
    Arcanine - cosmicexplorer
    Ninetales - cosmicexplorer
    Moltres - Redtype
    Marowak - Ashenlock
    Dugtrio - cosmicexplorer
    Parasect - DreamTalon
    Kangaskhan - DreamTalon
    Cloyster - cosmicexplorer
    Raichu - dragonboy52
    Snorlax - cosmicexplorer

Johto (open)
    Johto
    Crobat - Ashenlock
    Murkrow - Ashenlock
    Politoed - PungentFruit
    Ursaring - Ashenlock
    Porygon2 - Ashenlock
    Kingdra - Shinyweavile
    Hitmontop - Ashenlock
    Blissey - Ashenlock
    Smeargle - Crafty Scrafty
    Scizor - muffinhead
    Raikou - Ashenlock
    Lanturn - iss
    Tyranitar - Jibaku
    Heracross - muffinhead
    Suicune - cosmicexplorer
    Quagsire - dragonboy52

Hoenn (open)
    Hoenn
    Ludicolo - Ashenlock
    Shedinja - Cassie
    Aron - Ashenlock
    Aggron - Arcticblast
    Manectric - Ashenlock
    Salamence - Ashenlock
    Latios - PungentFruit
    Latias - Solace
    Aggron - Arcticblast
    Flygon - Charzaro
    Metagross - cosmicexplorer
    Hariyama - cosmicexplorer
    Slaking - PungentFruit
    Medicham - muffinhead
    Dusclops - Charzaro
    Swellow - Charzaro
    Shiftry - JRank
    Blaziken - cosmicexplorer
    Whiscash - dragonboy52
    Regice - Ashenlock

Sinnoh (open)
    Sinnoh
    Infernape - Ashenlock
    Empoleon - ~Golden Emp
    Gastrodon - Solace
    Toxicroak - kingofkongs
    Bronzong - Cassie
    Garchomp - PungentFruit
    Lucario - lucariojr.
    Togekiss - lucariojr.
    Gallade - assassinfred
    Rhyperior - muffinhead
    Weavile - JRank
    Yanmega - Jiovaine11
    Heatran - kingofkongs
    Cresselia - Ashenlock
    Roserade - risenreturn
    Abomasnow - cosmicexplorer
    Mamoswine - cosmicexplorer
    Glaceon - dragonboy52
    Rotom-W - muffinhead
    Uxie - dragonboy52
    Azelf - dragonboy52
    Honchkrow - sandman
    Ambipom - DreamTalon
    Hippowdon - cosmicexplorer
    Lickilicky - DreamTalon
    Gliscor - cosmicexplorer
    Regigigas - Ashenlock

Unova (open)
    Unova
    Scrafty - lucariojr.
    Escavalier - Tenodera
    Chandelure - Jiovaine11
    Terrakion - iss
    Tornadus - Cybertron
    Thundurus - Solace
    Sawsbuck - Charzaro
    Whimsicott - risenreturn
    Krookodile - TehDerek
    Haxorus - BattleStar
    Amoonguss - cosmicexplorer
    Reuniclus - cosmicexplorer
    Excadrill - cosmicexplorer
    Stoutland - lucariojr
    Landorus - cosmicexplorer
    Volcarona - cosmicexplorer
    Musharna - cosmicexplorer

Non-Pokemon
    Moody - Solace
    Plus/Minus Ability - risenreturn
  2. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

Very interesting. I've been compiling usage data for about 100 different Double Battles so far and I'd like to see it put to some use, though it's sometimes difficult to filter what's being used by an experienced player versus someone who just used his ingame team. Am I misunderstanding the thread, or is this sort of like what you're looking for? Not usage data in specific, but data about the Pokemon that appear in the GBU, their movesets, useful strategies, etc?
  3. Solace

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

That's basically what's being looked for. Some common sets you've seen, sets you've used that work, experiences with the Pokemon, and what you've mentioned above. Think like an in-depth Pokedex description that shows you ways you can actually use it, and not just what it's stats are and abilities.
  4. soul_survivor

soul_survivor

so are the treads on the doubles aspect of the gbu, the singles, or both? Anyway great someonw bought this up. it'd be cool to have discussions of certain pokemon.
  5. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

For the record:

Has been there since day 1 :p
  6. Solace

soul survivor- any gbu metagame you feel most comfortable writing sets for! suppose you like writing doubles, someone who has used the pokemon in singles can make a singles set and discuss it

jibaku no one reads that unfortunately ;_;
  7. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

I'm not quite sure where to start. Do we just unload info in this thread, or start making threads for individual Pokemon/abilities/combinations/tactics/etc.?
  8. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Make individual threads. This forum needs to get more lively anyway.
  9. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

At some point maybe we should make a "GBU Master Thread" because 80% of the threads currently in this forum are very general (Singles Metagame, General Weather, Creative Movesets) and would almost be the kind of thread stickied elsewhere. Obviously, we can't have 10+ threads in the same idea stickied, so perhaps a "catalogue thread" full of all the metagame threads and the possibly-soon-to-be individual Pokemon threads.

But back on the subject at hand: This project looks very interesting, and I'll get to work with what I can do with what I have right now.

EDIT: I'm working on Hitmontop right now. I'll list some others in a minute if it's alright. I don't know how many I can reserve, but I'd like:

Manectric
    Gyarados
    Blissey
    Salamence
    Murkrow
  10. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

NOTE: I'll edit this post into the previous one soon, but I wanted to update this thread because I feel what I have to say is important.

Okay, so people are starting to write Pokemon threads for the GBU. That's awesome. Why don't we make a thread where we "reserve" certain Pokemon, so that we don't end up doing the same thread twice?
  11. Jibaku

is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Added all of the reservations I've received up to this point. For now there is no limit as to how many you can have, but pleease finish them in a reasonable amount of time.
  12. Superpokemon67

Superpokemon67

Is this double or singles?
  13. Jibaku

Everything really. (Singles/Doubles/Triples/Rotation/and even Wonder Launcher if you count that)
  14. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I'd like to reserve Tornadus in doubles.
  15. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

I'd like to request a few more reservations, if you don't mind. I think I can finish the ones I've listed already as well as these within 48 hours:

Ludicolo
    Aron
    Infernape
    Porygon2
    Ursaring
    Crobat

Hell, I'd love to reserve all of them! I'll get done with these ASAP.

Oh, and these are all for doubles. Tell me if you want me to change the thread title of each of them for doubles, or if you eventually want all the threads to be a compilation for EVERY battle format (i.e. sets for Hitmontop in Singles, Doubles, Triples, Rotation, and Launcher).

EDIT: Okay, thanks.
  16. Jibaku

The threads are supposed to encompass every battle format, but as the OP, you may choose to focus on a specific metagame on the original post. However, people are allowed to discuss other formats in there.
  17. Jibaku

New rule: You can only reserve up to 10 threads at a time. Ashenlock sort of a special pass with 11 threads because the rule wasn't up before.
  18. Cassie

Cassie giant claw

Bronzong, Golduck, Zapdos doubles sets reserved by me please :D
  19. Joel

Joel

Reservations for Tentacruel and Lickilicky sets, please.
  20. lucariojr

lucariojr goodra will hunting
    is a Contributor to Smogon

hey imma reserve come coolmons: Lucario and Scrafty.

too cool for school B)
  21. PungentFruit

PungentFruit

Reserving Politoed, Latios, and Garchomp.
  22. Solace

I'm reserving Thundurus and Latias
  23. Crafty Scrafty

Crafty Scrafty

I'll take Smeargle for now, possibly others in the future.
  24. muffinhead

muffinhead b202 wifi vgc
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

uyrthfgujnhgh
    rhyperior
  25. Shining_Latios

Shining_Latios

Reserving Scizor and Starmie.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)